Post-Game Talk: Sharks defeat Canucks 4-1 [Santorelli]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
It is what it is. They're simply the better team right now and missing a key player and another Top 9 forward isn't helping. Not to mention that the team is still clearly trying to figure out the system on a consistent basis. In games like this, where time and space is at a premium, those split-seconds start to make a difference.

It's unfortunate all our games against them are this early in the year as IMO we can expect the Canucks to improve through the next 3-4 months as Torts' system becomes second nature.

Too much thinking and reacting. No initiating. And that is because we have a team that does therefore not have the system down yet.

SJ played the way we want to play.

There will be a certain amount of Chicken Little stuff going on after a game like this, but this is going to be a process.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
It is what it is. They're simply the better team right now and missing a key player and another Top 9 forward isn't helping. Not to mention that the team is still clearly trying to figure out the system on a consistent basis. In games like this, where time and space is at a premium, those split-seconds start to make a difference.

It's unfortunate all our games against them are this early in the year as IMO we can expect the Canucks to improve through the next 3-4 months as Torts' system becomes second nature.

Curious as to what your thoughts are on the defensive play of the team and their breakouts thus far in the season. Also, did Torterella's have good breakouts? They are so crucial to any elite team.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Gotta give props to Dale Weise, he was the only guy banging around and hustling with any real intensity or consistency.

Weise hustled and came on strong late but he was again a disaster defensively and continues to turn over too many pucks to concede high quality scoring chances.

I still can't for the life of me figure out why hitting has been deemed such an integral part of winning hockey. The less a team hits, the more trouble they give the Canucks...

LolClarkson*

Completely outclassed. Heartless play. Only Santorelli showed up.
It'll be nice to get Kassian back but he isn't gonna make a world of difference unfortunately.

I said this in the GDT and I'll say it again, the team looks completely static. There's no flow to their game, no anticipation, they're waiting for the puck and not skating. It's a new system, I get that, but at the same time, the hockey IQ was super low.

Good luck Torts, it's gonna be an interesting season.

Im just happy that we snuffed Hertl out. :p:

The Sharks core, along with the coach, have been together forever. They are at their best now. Our team is 5 games into a new system.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Paraphrase?

He just said he wont overreact but we need more guys going, he admitted the first goal i believe it was with thornton... admitted he guessed wrong he put the 4th line out and todd sent the thornton line out at that same time, but also made a good point the 4th line also needs to be able to play a minute because hes been riding so many guys on the top line.

Just commented about lazy defending again, and he felt the team crawled back in a hole after the sharks made it 3-1.

Also mentioned us loosing so many puck battles, he was calm during the conference though.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
The 2nd line (mostly Kesler) looks disgustingly bad, Bieksa and Hamhuis look permanently drunk, the team is still struggling mightily in their own zone, and Luongo has looked good but not great. If those things get fixed I think the the team will be fine. Hopefully it happens somewhat soon because Santorelli isn't going to continue shooting at 44%.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
This team is pretender status and has been for the past couple years. all due respect to santorelli but when he is one of your best forwards than something is pretty wrong

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The ironic thing is that the Canucks best period was probably the first yet they ended it down by two goals. Sharks are the better team but you have to give credit to Neimi as well, made more than a few difficult saves in the first and then the Sharks really locked it down.

Again, full credit to the Sharks, they were excellent tonight.

Canuck are still not looking like they're playing on instinct yet so I'm not too concerned. In fact, the only thing that worried me a bit tonight, was just how ineffective Kesler has been in the first five games.

This is what has me irritated as well. Don't really care about the result, but I admit I was hoping Kesler would come up big and make it a game for the Canucks because, as I suspected, the Sedins were completely shut down.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Seriously post game show, win or lose, I have agreed with literally everything torts has said.

Took the words out of my mouth

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
There will be a certain amount of Chicken Little stuff going on after a game like this, but this is going to be a process.

Don't wanna hurt any feelings, but I just gotta laugh at that. Year after year slow starts with AV, we had our best start last year and our worst season in years. A game for 2 points in October is a game for 2 points in October, but we've got far to go yet. I'm not losing my head after this game, would have liked to see a better result, but this is far from a sneak preview of what the team will be playing like in March.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The game wasn't ost on puck battles, it was lost on positioning and anticipation. The Canucks don't cover the slot area very well at all, while leaving the points open. That's hard to do... Contrast that with San Jose where it was virtually impossible to find a passing or shooting lane in their own end.

Larry Robinson has the Sharks defending on a different level than Tortorella. There was a lot more to this loss than a lack of 'battle' and 'stiffness'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad