Post-Game Talk: Sharks defeat Canucks 4-1 [Santorelli]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outside99*

Torts coming out and saying straight up "I guessed wrong" when he put the 4th line out after the PP and SJ put Joe on. I love this man.

4th line plays so little, their legs must be numb every one of their 5 or 6 shifts per game. Would it make more sense to give them a regular shift in the 1st and sit them the rest of the game?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
It's been evident for a long time that Hansen and Higgins aren't 2nd liners, but at the same time, what can you do? It's not like we have a plethora of proven candidates lining up to replace them. (at least guys that we haven't tried on the 2nd line before)

There's nothing Tortorella can do, but Gillis should have addressed the need for an impact forward for the 2nd line a while ago. Booth hasn't worked, at some point we'll need to cut our losses and find someone who might find some chemistry with Kesler.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Ha, Torts talks about losing every 50/50 puck. Bang on. Battle after battle lost.

Yep. That and slow transition. I think the Tanev fail on the 2nd goal would have infuriated Torts. Shouldn't be getting dominated as badly on the boards in our end, especially on dump ins.

Last edited:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Winning 50/50 pucks includes anticipation and positioning. Battles aren't just about hitting and hustle. The point is, wherever there was an opportunity to win a puck, it evaporated quick. That contributed greatly to the loss.

But they lost because they couldn't stop high percentage scoring chances in the slot area, coupled with their inability to find any passing or shooting lanes in San Jose's zone. There were quite a few times where the Canucks won battles, drove the puck into the Sharks end and couldn't do a damn thing with it. They needed a lot more than extra hustle and effort. Kudos to San Jose - their team play at the moment is flawless.

5 games in, don't think I've seen Ryan Kesler create an even strength scoring chance for himself or a linemate. If he can't get back to where he was 2 years ago, this team isn't a contender whatsoever. I really hope he rounds into form...

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Post Game Interviews:

Starts around the six/seven minute mark.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
There's nothing Tortorella can do, but Gillis should have addressed the need for an impact forward for the 2nd line a while ago. Booth hasn't worked, at some point we'll need to cut our losses and find someone who might find some chemistry with Kesler.

Not sure how you can say he hasn't been trying. He has, it hasn't been working. Much like the quest for 3C, which was great until Malhotra got hurt, then he's tried plenty but failed.

Get stuck into Gillis for the failures not lack of trying.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
But they lost because they couldn't stop high percentage scoring chances in the slot area, coupled with their inability to find any passing or shooting lanes in San Jose's zone. There were quite a few times where the Canucks won battles, drove the puck into the Sharks end and couldn't do a damn thing with it. They needed a lot more than extra hustle and effort. Kudos to San Jose - their team play at the moment is flawless.

Yup, a step behind the play every time. The puck was already in the back of the net before the Canucks could even begin to try and defend.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Maybe not, but Torts' way of playing is still new to them. I still think leadership wants to win which is the most important thing. If they stray off the path, I'm sure they'll be given lots of reminders on what that is.

I like Torts as a coach, an think he's a very good one at that, but it's hard to lead a blind horse to water aka leading the Canucks to a Cup.

arsmaster*

For as bad as kesler has looked he isn't my most disappointing player. It's gotta be Hamhuis. I guess I might have too much expectation but its down right disgusting to watch.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

5 games in, don't think I've seen Ryan Kesler create an even strength scoring chance for himself or a linemate. If he can't get back to where he was 2 years ago, this team isn't a contender whatsoever. I really hope he rounds into form...

After driving the puck to the Sharks zone, they couldn't follow up the next puck battle with a win. Again, battle isn't about hustle only. They require some anticipation and positioning to win. Everything in that regard was lost.

I'm not discounting SJ's scheme in helping them win those battles. But any scheme still is subject to each player's reaction to it, and the Canucks reacted very poorly, thereby turning over the puck. Sustain pressure and you're not worried about defense as much -- though that needed work too.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I like Torts as a coach, an think he's a very good one at that, but it's hard to lead a blind horse to water aka leading the Canucks to a Cup.
This is the gist of it. Hard for that horse to see when the 3rd best forwards most significant contribution to the night is a lazy hooking penalty.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I'm not saying we'll win, to use another horse analogy I don't think we have the horses to win the Cup. Definitely can improve on our dismal playoff record in recent history though.

Outside99*

Yep. That's and really transition. I think the Tanev fail on the 2nd goal would have infuriated Torts. Shouldn't be getting dominated as badly on the boards in our end, especially on dump ins.

There's 4 fails on that play - Stanton's ill-advised pass, Tanev gets pushed aside rather easily, Henrik is in no man's land and nobody is covering Pelech in the slot (just like the 3rd goal).

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
But he pisses people off when he shots a lot. He can never win.

It's not like he's setting up his linemates in place of shooting...

Kesler and Hamhuis have looked dreadful and this team isn't good enough to beat top teams without these 2 playing their best hockey.

Not a big fan of continuing down the Hamhuis/Garrison and Edler/Bieksa road either. It sure didn't work out last season against teams with more than 1 potent scoring line.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
For as bad as kesler has looked he isn't my most disappointing player. It's gotta be Hamhuis. I guess I might have too much expectation but its down right disgusting to watch.

Yep, it's bizarre to watch him right now. I don't know what's wrong with Hamhuis but his positional play is bad, passing is bad, he's handling the puck like a grenade. Never seen anything like this from him since he got here.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This is the gist of it. Hard for that horse to see when the 3rd best forwards most significant contribution to the night is a lazy hooking penalty.

I'm not saying we'll win, to use another horse analogy I don't think we have the horses to win the Cup. Definitely can improve on our dismal playoff record in recent history though.

Basically what I'm saying is: this team needs more than a coach to turn things around. You can coach as much as you want, coach 'em as hard as you want, coach 'em as long as you want, but it's down to the players to execute in game situations....and they just don't.

It's not the coach (AV/Torts) that's the problem here.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
But he pisses people off when he shots a lot. He can never win.

It's all about his decision making. People don't get pissed off that he shoots, people get pissed off that he ONLY shoots and doesn't do much else.

Regardless, there is no excuse for attempting only 5 shots through 3 games. That's bad even for Hank!

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Frustrating game to watch, especially when losing the possession battle like that but it's a process and against a very good team the fact that they're still learning the system is going to be even more glaring. I did think they'd come out a lot more aggressive than they did, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->