Post-Game Talk: Sharks defeat Canucks 4-1 [Santorelli]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
My intial impression turning the game on for the 2nd period was that in the Sharks zone the Sharks had figured out the nucks.

Yeah, clog up the slot area, while the left winger took away the right point. The left point was the only place on the ice where the Canucks had any open ice to generate shots.

San Jose is also much bigger than the Canucks. Boxing out was a walk in the park.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Not sure how you can say he hasn't been trying. He has, it hasn't been working. Much like the quest for 3C, which was great until Malhotra got hurt, then he's tried plenty but failed.

Get stuck into Gillis for the failures not lack of trying.

Who has he acquired since Booth 3 years ago?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
They need more than a coach to turn things around, but I definitely believe a coach impacts how those players are able to execute. He can't make a poor team great, but he definitely has a degree of impact. Of that there can be no question. Otherwise, the quality of coaching doesn't matter, and I don't believe that, especially when seeing what Robinson has done with SJ's defense.

Shame we didn't add Robinson after he left NJ, tremendous pedigree. He was better than what we had.

LolClarkson*

My intial impression turning the game on for the 2nd period was that in the Sharks zone the Sharks had figured out the nucks.

Its game 5 into a new system against the "hottest" team in the league.

The Canucks haven't figured out the Canucks yet.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
But the Canucks won countless battles, gained possession, brought the puck into the Sharks end and couldn't muster anything whatsoever. A lot of credit has to go to the Sharks here - they were airtight defensively.

This team just doesn't have enough pure offensive players. Behind the Sedins, goals are going to be at a premium all year long.

After the Canucks brought the puck into the zone, they did not win the subsequent battle/puck retrieval to create pressure. To compensate, they threw more forwards at the situation, hoping to remedy it, but then all of the forwards were caught deep and didn't provide outlets whether the battle was won or lost.

It was the initial 1 on 1 being lost so cleanly that caused subsequent forward support, which still wasn't enough due to SJ's support of their defense. The key being the first battle lost cleanly, or needing the Canucks to over-compensate and _still_ result in a loss.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
But you stop those high percentage scoring chances by winning puck battles before they happen. Its also how you create them, win a 50/50 puck in the offensive zone and the coverage starts to break down and passing lanes appear. Offensively and defensively it all starts off the puck battle, which aren't won 100% on hustle and effort, but your chances are reduced significantly if you're the second hardest worker in the corner.

Over all, not too concerned at this point. Certainly a realistic possibility that we aren't a top rung team this year, but we're at worst a playoff team. See how things go between now and Christmas, by then the players should have the system down and found their roles in it. Even if this year ends up being a bit of a doown year as far as the regular season goes, we'll hopefully be having Bo, Hunter, Gaunce etc start making the team next year, and we could be rejuvenated just like the SHarks core seems to have been.

The bolded, in a nutshell. Once that first battle is one or lost, without overcompensation, it gets both teams to react. SJ can't sit still in their box formation if their Dman loses the first battle on the wall and said Canuck is coming out of the corner with the puck. They have to react. That's what wasn't happening. The SJ D can look Zen when they don't have to worry about their first guy being overwhelmed. When that Dman can make a simply flip up the ice to his supporting teammates, and they aren't pulled out of position to get it, it makes the game very simple for the sharks.

LolClarkson*

Roy, Kassian, Booth, Pahlsson, Sturm, Horvat. A few wildcards like Dalpe etc.

And before..

Demitra(rip), Sundin, Wellwood, Samuellson, Hodgson.

Skill skill skill skill skill

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Shame we didn't add Robinson after he left NJ, tremendous pedigree. He was better than what we had.

His kids and grand kids live in the SJ area and thats why he went there. He has been incredible for them, looking at their Defensive core on paper its amazing what they can do out there.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Roy, Kassian, Booth, Pahlsson, Sturm, Horvat. A few wildcards like Dalpe etc.

Uh...none of those guys played with Kesler for any reasonable amount of time. What do depth centres like Dalpe or Pahlsson have to do with addressing the need for a winger that fits Kesler? Also Sturm was before the Booth trade.

If we had retained Roy and actually tried him on Kesler's wing for more than a few disjointed shifts then I could give you that one. But we didn't fo that either.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Makes me sad that SJ looks like the vancouver team of 10/11. They play with the same swagger. IF we make the playoffs we would have to play them at some point and it would be a massacre. Still a sweep like last year, but not even close games.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Makes me sad that SJ looks like the vancouver team of 10/11. They play with the same swagger. IF we make the playoffs we would have to play them at some point and it would be a massacre. Still a sweep like last year, but not even close games.

Just a reminder they also looked like this at the beginning of last season, and it was a massacre in the playoffs. However they didn't go all the way like we did in 10/11

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Sounds like we got dominated out there. Good thing I was busy crying as I watched Shawshank Redemption on my way to 'toba.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Sounds like we got dominated out there. Good thing I was busy crying as I watched Shawshank Redemption on my way to 'toba.

Great movie :handclap: was it the movie that made you cry or the fact you were going to 'toba :laugh:

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
Ryan stanton has more points than all but 3 of our forwards.

Ryan stanton. Ryan stanton. Ryan stanton. Ryan stanton.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Notice how Kesler had his best years playing with guys like Sundin or Samuelsson

A hall of famer and a very good player?

No way!

So I didn't watch this game again (figured the Sharks would destroy us) in place for some volleyball :laugh:.

Sounds like Hamhuis is still terrible, Bieksa had another Bieksa-like awful game, and Kesler was invisible.

Welp, looks like everything is still the same.

I love how Kesler said post game "I'm pissed, we've lost against them again". :cry:. How about showing up.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
His kids and grand kids live in the SJ area and thats why he went there. He has been incredible for them, looking at their Defensive core on paper its amazing what they can do out there.

Not trolling, but this is so true. He's had an amazing impact on our D and our young guys are playing the system flawlessly. Its pretty impressive when you consider how bad our D was before Big Bird came around. Amazing.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Uh...none of those guys played with Kesler for any reasonable amount of time. What do depth centres like Dalpe or Pahlsson have to do with addressing the need for a winger that fits Kesler? Also Sturm was before the Booth trade.

If we had retained Roy and actually tried him on Kesler's wing for more than a few disjointed shifts then I could give you that one. But we didn't fo that either.

You're arguing that he didn't make moves, he did. They just haven't worked.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I think we need to be more physical, as in throw more hits, perhaps players are more concerned with playing the system right and not wanting to get out of position, losing Lappy, having no Kass, and no typical 4th line are factors to I would say...

Also a little concerned with how little our forth line is playing, with our travel schedule the way it is, we need a forth line to take some of the load, to avoid burnout...

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
Sounds like Hamhuis is still terrible, Bieksa had another Bieksa-like awful game, and Kesler was invisible.

Welp, looks like everything is still the same.

I love how Kesler said post game "I'm pissed, we've lost against them again". :cry:. How about showing up.

Stupid question... But do you think it has become a "mental thing" (can't think of a better term at the moment) with the Canucks when they play San Jose? What is it, 10 consecutive losses now? 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad