Post-Game Talk: Sharks defeat Canucks 4-1 [Santorelli]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
missed the game because of work, guess i'm glad I did.

People still need to relax here. Work in progess and I doubt the team has still learned the new system to perfection.

I'd say closer to 10-15 games is where we see what this team is really like.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
It is far from unreasonable to acquire a player similar in calibre to Sundin or Samuelsson at the level they were playing at here.

The only valuable assets we have where we can bring in a forward of that calibre is someone from our defense (considering out cap situation).

Edler, Garrison, Bieksa, Hamhuis. You choose who we trade.

It's more than very unlikely.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
With the current cap situation and threadbare farm system/prospect pool Canucks have? I find that very unlikely.

Brunner was on a PTO for goodness sake. Jagr and Alfredsson signed 35+ deals whose bonuses could push their cap hit into next season. And if we had dumped Booth we'd have even more cap space to play with.

And our prospect pool is far from "barren"

You're arguing that he didn't make moves, he did. They just haven't worked.

Read the post you originally responded to again. I'm not saying he hasn't done anything, I'm saying he hasn't done anything since the Booth trade to work with Kesler on the 2nd line.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Stupid question... But do you think it has become a "mental thing" (can't think of a better term at the moment) with the Canucks when they play San Jose? What is it, 10 consecutive losses now? 11?

Nope. We simply don't match up well with them.

We're a very undisciplined team, can't match their 3 lines, and have not been good in transition since 2011.

The Sharks eat up our weaknesses.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
The only valuable assets we have where we can bring in a forward of that calibre is someone from our defense (considering out cap situation).

Edler, Garrison, Bieksa, Hamhuis. You choose who we trade.

It's more than very unlikely.

Jensen/Gaunce/2014 1st should all be tradeable. If we acquire a forward from a team looking to rebuild/retool it shouldn't be too hard to find someone. A team like Buffalo has no problem retaining salary, and Booth could be included for cap purposes if needed as well(or traded for a pick or even waived)

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Brunner was on a PTO for goodness sake. Jagr and Alfredsson signed 35+ deals whose bonuses could push their cap hit into next season. And if we had dumped Booth we'd have even more cap space to play with.

Brunner is getting paid 2.5million. Jagr and Alfredsson are still way too expensive. Dumping Booth was never an option.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Jensen/Gaunce/2014 1st should all be tradeable. If we acquire a forward from a team looking to rebuild/retool it shouldn't be too hard to find someone. A team like Buffalo has no problem retaining salary, and Booth could be included for cap purposes if needed as well(or traded for a pick or even waived)

Booth + 1st/Gaunce/Jensen will not get you the calibre of player you are looking for.

This isn't EA NHL. It's not that simple to get a top 6 forward without giving something useful.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Brunner is getting paid 2.5million. Jagr and Alfredsson are still way too expensive. Dumping Booth was never an option.

2-2.5 mil is not "way too expensive". Dumping Booth should absolutely have been an option, and it's on Gillis that we still have him instead of a myriad of better, cheaper options.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Booth + 1st/Gaunce/Jensen will not get you the calibre of player you are looking for.

This isn't EA NHL. It's not that simple to get a top 6 forward without giving something useful.

Sabres fans have agreed to something around Jensen + Booth + 1st for Vanek(50% retained).

Cammalleri could easily be had for a 1st or less. If the Rangers continue to suck than maybe Callahan might be traded.

Heck, Prospal is still a UFA, isn't he?

There's no excuse for having our 2nd line as ineffective for as long as it has been. There have been lots of opportunities, and Gillis hasn't bothered to seriously try and address it.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Nope. We simply don't match up well with them.

We're a very undisciplined team, can't match their 3 lines, and have not been good in transition since 2011.

The Sharks eat up our weaknesses.

just like how van didn't match up well with the hawks? beating the nucks 2yrs in a row before figuring out how to beat them the third time.? it's not that vancouver is a undisciplined team.. they don't have lappy or stupid ppl taking dumb penalties. the sharks are just BETTER. get calls in their favour everytime.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sabres fans have agreed to something around Jensen + Booth + 1st for Vanek(50% retained).

Cammalleri could easily be had for a 1st or less. If the Rangers continue to suck than maybe Callahan might be traded.
Vanek and Cammy are both FAs this summer. That's overpayment for both.

Jensen and Booth is about right for Vanek.

The 1st appears it'll be higher than it used to be.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I thought both Bleach Clean and MS are correct on their assessments of the game. We lost a lot of puck battles along the boards; the Sharks collapsed around the puck carrier a lot and whenever we tried to pass it along, a Shark would come and scoop it up. On one-on-one battles, I found that we lost a substantial number compared to the games we had against New Jersey. Look at their second goal: Tanev loses the puck along the boards from Stanton and the Shark, boxing him out, quickly centers from behind the net for a goal. Playing against a larger team like San Jose really hampers our battle along the boards.

That being said, whenever we did win puck battles we weren't able to get a quality chance within the slot or actually drive the play to the net. I could count on one hand the number of quality chances we had near the net. No matter how many battles you can win along the boards, if you can't get a quality shot off, it's not going to be effective in the long run.

Our neutral zone play was horrendous also. Not only was San Jose able to take away passing lanes and clog entries into their zone, they were able to enter ours with impunity. We send two guys into forecheck but their defence is so effective in moving the puck out, we weren't able to generate many turnovers, resulting in their forwards slicing through the neutral zone like a hot knife; in contrast, they had guys stand up near their blue line, making it difficult for us to get in, and making us dump and chase where they could win battles along the boards and get it out.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

Heck, Prospal is still a UFA, isn't he?

There's no excuse for having our 2nd line as ineffective for as long as it has been. There have been lots of opportunities, and Gillis hasn't bothered to seriously try and address it.

Because adding another 2.5$ player will solve our troubles. How about, you know, fixing the 5$ problem on our team? I don't agree that any of the solutions you've posted are viable at all.

just like how van didn't match up well with the hawks? beating the nucks 2yrs in a row before figuring out how to beat them the third time.? it's not that vancouver is a undisciplined team.. they don't have lappy or stupid ppl taking dumb penalties. the sharks are just BETTER. get calls in their favour everytime.

I don't even know what you're saying.

Jensen and Booth for Vanek wouldn't even work cap-wise. Adding anything more is an over-payment.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
missed the game because of work, guess i'm glad I did.

People still need to relax here. Work in progess and I doubt the team has still learned the new system to perfection.

I'd say closer to 10-15 games is where we see what this team is really like.

no doubt this team has more in it than is showing right now, but San Jose is easily a better team, on paper and IRL.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

Do you remember how much Tkachuk went for a few years ago?

Vanek is worth a good prospect and a 1st rounder. Easily.

Would you be happy with a Jensen and salary dump for Ryan Kesler? It's crazy talk.

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA

Sorry, but I'm a bit lost here... Are you saying the Canucks lost (and have been losing) because the Sharks are a better team...? Or that we lost because the Sharks get more favourable calls..? Or is it a combination of the two?

Sorry, just trying to understand.

;)

Nov 1, 2011
We really need a 4th line though. Weise was awful tonight, Dalpe has yet to anything noticeable in any area of the rink and Sestito is just a face puncher.

Would you be comfortable if our current third line was our 4th line?

The guys missing:
Burrows - Schroeder - Kassian

Might be an good third line.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Interesting game, but boy do the Sharks look like a well oiled machine right now. They are playing stellar defense too hardly giving any openings/ clogging the passing lanes and pressuring the puck. Also helps when your goalie is almost faultless. The game was more even than the scoreline would suggest, but the Sharks took their chances with some beauty shots, can't really blame Loungo for them either.

The Canucks were pretty even in shots but the Sharks kept them mostly to the outside. I thought Higgins was working his tail off and was once again stoned on a fantastic chance. I would have liked to see the Sedins split up in this one as it was pretty evident that San Jose had a handle on the Canucks when defending. Still, with the team still learning the system and a couple of players coming back I'm still very optimisitc with where the team is going this year.

And the penatly kill looks awesome, they hardly gave up anything. It looks like it could be consistently excellent over the season too. Brad Richardson is a fantastic PK'er, the Sedin's are also great at it, even Booth looked good on it, not to mention Kesler and Hansen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad