Sharkies weekly 2004 Entry draft scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Hello B-Mad, sorry I didn't reply sooner, i've had two hockey games and I've scouted the Badgers and a USHL game over the past two days.

Malkin plays great defensivlyh as well, very well rounded game, Safe pick with lots of upside.
Malkin well put in 30 goals as a high down the road, but he's the type of player that makes people around him better. I see Malkin as a 25 G 50 A kind of player. He could hit the 30-35 range though.
As a Caps fan you should be very happy next year if you land him in the draft. Down the road with players like him and Fehr,Semin,Johansson,Gordon,Sutherby, Nepriayev, ect and Ouelette in goal, mabey the caps well take another defensman like Barker to go along with Eminger and Yonkman?
Either way Malkin,Ovechkin,Olesz. Any team who lands one of those could be looking at the franchise guy. Back to the Kozlov comparison, some comparison in that is true, but I think Malkin well put up a much better career.

Well thanx for such a detailed post....I feel alot better about him. I noticed he was just basically putting up assists in the WJC box scores so I figured he's more of a passer, but put on a line with guys like Semin and Fehr (looks like a sniper from his stats) I'd certainly be more than happy. As for the Kozlov worries, if he does really have a good work ethic I think Malkin will be just fine 'cause Kozlov had all the tools in the world but never looked to put forth any effort to develop them thus has turned into nothing more than a average (if that) player (something that really irks me....especially after being scarred for life from the Caps Volchkov disaster).

As for Nepriayev, I see his name mentioned every once in awhile but even as a Caps fan I don't know a damn thing about him.....is he really NHL material?

Of course I want Ovechkin, but that ain't happenin with our luck (I still have a chair I broke when I fell in love with Samsonov and saw him sliding down the draft board just to be picked the pick before the Caps...one example of what I mean by our luck) and if they can't get Malkin (I really want him now) I'm a bit worried about Olesz with that concussion if it's really as bad as initially reported and with all the youth they have at D (as long as Yonkman can come back fully and finally stay healthy) I'd much rather have a scoring forward....especially since the owner was in the paper yesterday talking about finally rebuilding, thus trading off guys like Jagr, Lang, and maybe Bondra. Ah the hell with it, maybe I'll just sacrifice my little brother so we can just get Ovy!! :D

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
b-mad said:
Well thanx for such a detailed post....I feel alot better about him. I noticed he was just basically putting up assists in the WJC box scores so I figured he's more of a passer, but put on a line with guys like Semin and Fehr (looks like a sniper from his stats) I'd certainly be more than happy. As for the Kozlov worries, if he does really have a good work ethic I think Malkin will be just fine 'cause Kozlov had all the tools in the world but never looked to put forth any effort to develop them thus has turned into nothing more than a average (if that) player (something that really irks me....especially after being scarred for life from the Caps Volchkov disaster).

As for Nepriayev, I see his name mentioned every once in awhile but even as a Caps fan I don't know a damn thing about him.....is he really NHL material?

Of course I want Ovechkin, but that ain't happenin with our luck (I still have a chair I broke when I fell in love with Samsonov and saw him sliding down the draft board just to be picked the pick before the Caps...one example of what I mean by our luck) and if they can't get Malkin (I really want him now) I'm a bit worried about Olesz with that concussion if it's really as bad as initially reported and with all the youth they have at D (as long as Yonkman can come back fully and finally stay healthy) I'd much rather have a scoring forward....especially since the owner was in the paper yesterday talking about finally rebuilding, thus trading off guys like Jagr, Lang, and maybe Bondra. Ah the hell with it, maybe I'll just sacrifice my little brother so we can just get Ovy!! :D

Caps will take Barker before they would take Malkin...McPhee loves the WHL with a passion and looking at past drafts by him, a two-way CHL player is the likely pick...Semin was the only the 1st round pick outside the CHL since Elomo in '95 and the only european born 1st rounder since Volchkov and Svejkovsky in '96...since McPhee became GM, Paetsch, Beech, Sivek, Suts, Gordon, Fehr, Lupashuck, Yonkman, Pettinger, Fussey, Lucky, Tvrdon, johansson (avs trade), and Cutta all have been from the 'dub...see the trend...not knocking Malkin but I really see Mcphee going for another WHL guy, especially a dmen like Barker which we sorely need

The blueline is the biggest problem for the capitals, both NHL and prospect wise...Eminger really standing out but thats it, cutta and yonkman are still unproven so adding barker really shores up holes...I think we got enough depth to pass up drafting Malkin and going for someone else

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
BMWM3owner said:
Caps will take Barker before they would take Malkin...McPhee loves the WHL with a passion and looking at past drafts by him, a two-way CHL player is the likely pick...Semin was the only the 1st round pick outside the CHL since Elomo in '95 and the only european born 1st rounder since Volchkov and Svejkovsky in '96...since McPhee became GM, Paetsch, Beech, Sivek, Suts, Gordon, Fehr, Lupashuck, Yonkman, Pettinger, Fussey, Lucky, Tvrdon, johansson (avs trade), and Cutta all have been from the 'dub...see the trend...not knocking Malkin but I really see Mcphee going for another WHL guy, especially a dmen like Barker which we sorely need

The blueline is the biggest problem for the capitals, both NHL and prospect wise...Eminger really standing out but thats it, cutta and yonkman are still unproven so adding barker really shores up holes...I think we got enough depth to pass up drafting Malkin and going for someone else

I forgot about McPhee's love affair with the WHL....and two-way d-men. But if they do somehow wind up with the 2nd pick (I do think he'd take Barker over Olesz) I just can't see him passing on someone of this caliber, especially considering they'll likely be looking at the likes of Halpern, Zubrus, Sutherby, and Gordon as their centers should they actually unload and finally rebuild this cluster-F of a team. I know the D-corps is pretty scary but should they somehow get the 2nd pick I just can't see him going with Barker, plus maybe the success they've seemingly had with Semin might help sway him....though of course since I want Malkin he'd probably trade down a couple picks and then get Barker.

I still like the idea of just offering up my little brother to the gods so we can just get Ovy! :D

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Keep up the good work SHarkie...

Just wondering if you have any reports on Lauri Tukkonen?? He is highly rated but seemed to have a quite WJC.

X-SHARKIE

Donga said:
Keep up the good work SHarkie...

Just wondering if you have any reports on Lauri Tukkonen?? He is highly rated but seemed to have a quite WJC.

Hey thanks Donga, I saw Tukonen twice this year at the WJC. He's a big kid, tall and strong. So he's got the size down and then some. His stock rised IMO after the WJC. He's a big kid, who skates very well, he's underated. He actually reminded me of Milan MIchalek from the year before, witch is good. Although he wasnt as take charge. If I had to quickly discribe Tukonen.... I would say...A big forward, who works hard and doesn't take shifts off, also has a finess game, with Speed to kill, and great acceleration with a 2nd gear, and also has a nice set of hands. Should go no later then the 8th spot in this draft. Expeacially if O'Neil opts out.

X-SHARKIE

big_steve said:
Hey Sharkie, have you seen any of Chris Bourque. I'd like to know a bit about him.

Never seen him play, but he is corrently as Cushing Academy. He is a small kid at 5-7 175. He is a bull dog though I hear and isnt shy of the physical play. Sounds like a all around great player with no size. I mean 5-7 is puney in the NHL.

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
I was wondering how was Viktor Alexandrov doing this year. He was seen as a very good younster 2 years ago but it seems that he dropped a lot. What's his upside?

X-SHARKIE

awesome` said:
I was wondering how was Viktor Alexandrov doing this year. He was seen as a very good younster 2 years ago but it seems that he dropped a lot. What's his upside?

Well, he knows hockey thats for sure, his dad was a great coach in his day. He has lots of offensive talent. Very soft hands with good skating ability. More of a playmaker. 4th round steal if he's around still. Lacks a good shot. He definitly has had his stock plumit. 3rd rounder-4th rounder. Upside? A Alyn McCaulley.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Well, he knows hockey thats for sure, his dad was a great coach in his day. He has lots of offensive talent. Very soft hands with good skating ability. More of a playmaker. 4th round steal if he's around still. Lacks a good shot. He definitly has had his stock plumit. 3rd rounder-4th rounder. Upside? A Alyn McCaulley.

Playmaker? Are you sure? :dunno: I heard he was a sniper.

And what do you think of Mike Green? What's his scouting report please?

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

Hokay said:
Playmaker? Are you sure? :dunno: I heard he was a sniper.

And what do you think of Mike Green? What's his scouting report please?

Thank Scott Hannan of the San Jose Sharks. He isn't as flashy as Barker but he is as solid as they come. Just a rock out there. He does it all, he's tough, smart, physical, talented. He just does everything well. Safe pick should land him late 1st round/early 2nd round.

DR. Holiday

X-SHARKIE said:
Thank Scott Hannan of the San Jose Sharks. He isn't as flashy as Barker but he is as solid as they come. Just a rock out there. He does it all, he's tough, smart, physical, talented. He just does everything well. Safe pick should land him late 1st round/early 2nd round.

Very indepth. Nice work

TopGun12

Dec 22, 2003
Ya I wouldn't mind finding a bit more about Schultz,Rogers, and Carson. All three of them play defense for the Calgary Hitmen.

X-SHARKIE

I havent seen the Hitman all year, I did see them last year though when I wanted to see Getzlaf.

I like all three, Rogers expeacially. These guys are legit defensive prospects. Even before one touched the puck or made a hit, I saw one thing. Size !!! The Calgary Hitman defensman are huge and tough. Much like Egener did last year in the draft, these guys could be top 100 picks in the draft. Rogers for such a big man can skate like the wind, Schulz can really move to, but his game is more of smarts, Rogers is the total package, Schulz could work on some things like defensive positioning, but his PP QB play makes him a extra threat.
On the subject of me toning it down as Dr. Holliday said. I've been asked to not give so much information. Theres buisnesses out there that spend money to get these reports, then they charge you a low fee to help out. I wasn't called out for stealing or anything, they could tell it was really "MY" opinions on players. Heres an example.

It would be llike if I stood outside of McDonalds and handed out Double Cheese burgers and fries ect. ect. for free. So i've been asked to tone the posts a bit.
Anyone who wants more info on players, feal free to PM me. Thanks for understanding, I know it stinks.

Last edited:

orrthegreatest

Nov 14, 2003
Norwalk California
X-SHARKIE said:
I havent seen the Hitman all year, I did see them last year though when I wanted to see Getzlaf.

I like all three, Rogers expeacially. These guys are legit defensive prospects. Even before one touched the puck or made a hit, I saw one thing. Size !!! The Calgary Hitman defensman are huge and tough. Much like Egener did last year in the draft, these guys could be top 100 picks in the draft. Rogers for such a big man can skate like the wind, Schulz can really move to, but his game is more of smarts, Rogers is the total package, Schulz could work on some things like defensive positioning, but his PP QB play makes him a extra threat.
On the subject of me toning it down as Dr. Holliday said. I've been asked to not give so much information. Theres buisnesses out there that spend money to get these reports, then they charge you a low fee to help out. I wasn't called out for stealing or anything, they could tell it was really "MY" opinions on players. Heres an example.

I thought that was what this board was for to offer out opinions, you are not trying to take any ones business away, like a person at McDonalds, if you were a professional telling people to stay aw

It would be llike if I stood outside of McDonalds and handed out Double Cheese burgers and fries ect. ect. for free. So i've been asked to tone the posts a bit.
Anyone who wants more info on players, feal free to PM me. Thanks for understanding, I know it stinks.

I thought that was what this board was for to offer out opinions, you are not trying to take any ones business away, like a person at McDonalds, if you were telling people to only come to you for info, and stay away from these payed sites that would be a different story, I come to these boards cause I love hockey and want to get as much info as I can, that only makes people want to pay for the other services...This is pretty crazy...Other people are offering their opinions just as you do, do they get told the same thing....

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
X-SHARKIE said:

Nobody can legally ask you to "tone down" scouting reports that they find legit. If someone really told you that, you can just ignore them because they have no ground to do anything legally.

I've seen dozens of posters give far more accurate scouting reports than what was out there and they never got into trouble for it.

If your scouting reports are truly your owns, you have nothing to worry about, believe me.

All that being said, I do not believe for an instant that someone who "could tell those were really YOUR opinions on players" told you to tone it down. You're making this up.

X-SHARKIE

Well I just want to respect them. I'll give you my opinion on everything about prospects. You know what, orrthegreatest and Vlad, your right, I have the right to share my opinions, But I will respect them and tone down the length of reports. I'll still give you my thoughts on everyplay and well do scouting reports. So still feal free to ask away.

X-SHARKIE

Tonight i'll be at the Wisconsin Badgers vs Notre Dame.

I'll give you guys a report tomorow mourning or tonight, likely tonight on Wes O'Neil, Robby Earl, Jake Dowell, Jeff Likens, David Brown and if anyone here is a Sens or Panthers fan I can give you a couple thoughts on some of the talented Defensman prospects Notre Dame has.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Well I just want to respect them. I'll give you my opinion on everything about prospects. You know what, orrthegreatest and Vlad, your right, I have the right to share my opinions, But I will respect them and tone down the length of reports. I'll still give you my thoughts on everyplay and well do scouting reports. So still feal free to ask away.

Great! It's the right thing to do. ;)

KingofSpain

Mar 5, 2002
Windsor, ON
Visit site
I have enjoyed your reports Sharkie and would like to hear your thoughts on previously mentioned Boris Valabik and Mitch Maunu, and also if possible Mark Fistric and Petr Pohl.

Maunu is the only one I have seen multiple times. I think he is very good defensively, takes his man out the play with solid checking, plays odd man rushes
well. Decent passer who plays first PP but hardly ever shoots, but IMO is a bit underrated by CSB at 31st for NA skaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->