Sharkies weekly 2004 Entry draft scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Hokay said:
Do you know anything about Alexandre Picard, Kirill Lyamin or Johannes Salmonsson of this year's draft?

Salmonsson is a big & Skilled forward but I hear that he's going to opt out. He went from a possible top 15 pick awhile back to being a early 2nd rounder. Picard is the best player whose 2004 entry draft elgible in the Q this year.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
Do you have any scouting reports on Petteri Nokelainen and Konstantin Makarov? I heard Nokelainen's name couple of times during the game against Canada. And He's interesting, because his stats looks to be more interesting than Tukonen's ones.

Konstantin Makarov seems interesting too. He could be drafted in the first round.

So, Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hokay said:
Do you have any scouting reports on Petteri Nokelainen and Konstantin Makarov? I heard Nokelainen's name couple of times during the game against Canada. And He's interesting, because his stats looks to be more interesting than Tukonen's ones.

Konstantin Makarov seems interesting too. He could be drafted in the first round.

So, Thanks in advance.

Iseen Makarov play, he is very fast on his skates and a very slick puckhandler with good moves, very weak on his skates and gets pushed around easy which really hurt him in the Russian challenge in the CHL games. Makarov showed the talent to be able to put the puck in the net and add excitment to the game but he really needs to work on his strength to be a factor.

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
moosefan said:
Iseen Makarov play, he is very fast on his skates and a very slick puckhandler with good moves, very weak on his skates and gets pushed around easy which really hurt him in the Russian challenge in the CHL games. Makarov showed the talent to be able to put the puck in the net and add excitment to the game but he really needs to work on his strength to be a factor.

Thanks! It's very appreciated! :handclap:

X-SHARKIE

Petteri Nokelainen. He appears to be a solid center, Not flashy offensivly but good all around. Plays good defensvily. Holding his own SaiPa. Could be a third liner in the NHL. He's just an all around good player. He has soft hands, handles the physical play ver well, plays good in the trafic areas and cycles good down low. Solid size. He is a good skater once in stride but not the best at accelerating. Good all around prospect but not much upside on the kid.
3rd line Center for any team if he devolopes IMO.

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
X-SHARKIE said:
Petteri Nokelainen. He appears to be a solid center, Not flashy offensivly but good all around. Plays good defensvily. Holding his own SaiPa. Could be a third liner in the NHL. He's just an all around good player. He has soft hands, handles the physical play ver well, plays good in the trafic areas and cycles good down low. Solid size. He is a good skater once in stride but not the best at accelerating. Good all around prospect but not much upside on the kid.
3rd line Center for any team if he devolopes IMO.

Thanks! :handclap: And it suprise me a lot, I tought he was an offensive player, cause I think he's doing great offensively

Last edited:

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Hey Sharkie - Great work!! :handclap:

I have a couple of questions. First, how impressed have you been with Victor Oreskovic in Green Bay? I understand he's being touted as one of (if not THE) top USHL prospect. I've had the chance to watch his brother Phil in Brampton, and have been VERY impressed with what I've seen so far.
Secondly, as a Canadian who goes to watch USHL games, what is your overall impression of the league? I know the Flyers used to be in Thunder Bay (and quite the powerhouse, at that) until recently, so I assume you followed them. How would you rate the league in comparison to the CHL? How far behind are they?

Thanx man ;)

X-SHARKIE

Did I have him listed at 6-3? I think he's a bit smaller then that. He looks tall because he's lanky but I dont think he's quite 6-3.
Well I saw one game of his, only one. What I saw...

A. Great shot, great stickhandling.
B. Selfish, unwilling to use his body, didn't pass much.
C. High skill level, just doesnt have the right head on his shoulders.
Such a lazy player. I wouldnt have him in the 1st round anymore. You thank Schremp got it bad this guy is much worse. I dont mind some of that off the ice, but when your as skilled as he is, i mean this kid can flat out amaze you one shift with a beutifull goal, then rest of the game where is he?

Poor mans Thomas Vanek.

I think highly of the USHL. I probally like it more then most. It's very good hockey. THeres some definite talent in there. Just not nearly as much as the CHL. I dont think theres as much top end talent as well. I dont think it well ever catch up with the CHL. But as more and more drafted players out of the USHL have success, more and more well get drafted and more talented players with go the USHL ruite instead of going up to Canada (example Brown).
Have you seen Victor? I like him alot, I would use a 4th round pick or so on him. This year is a weak year in the USHL draft class wise but a great one for the Gamblers. Victory didnt see much ice time in the 1st game I saw this year, but in the 2nd one vs the Blackhawks he saw lots of time. He's a huge kid, He plays mean and nasty as well. I like his skills. Great stickhandler, hard shot but it lacks accuracy at times. He plays better then his stats show. Nate Dey has really caught my eye. I like him alot. He doesnt have the physical play that Victory carys though. Troy Davenport G has been a stud in net for them. Gamblers alone have 3 guys who should go in the draft this year.
I've seen Barker play, he's the best defensman in the draft. I will coment on him later. Sharks are on ...sorry. I'll do it in the mourning though!

PotiFan107

Nov 17, 2003
hey i enjoy all of our posts! sounds like alot of hard work to please us... but i was wondering if u could say the player position!! cause i couldnt tell if u were talking about defensemen/wingers or centermen.. thanks alot!! keep it up!

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
X-SHARKIE said:
Did I have him listed at 6-3? I think he's a bit smaller then that. He looks tall because he's lanky but I dont think he's quite 6-3.
Well I saw one game of his, only one. What I saw...

A. Great shot, great stickhandling.
B. Selfish, unwilling to use his body, didn't pass much.
C. High skill level, just doesnt have the right head on his shoulders.
Such a lazy player. I wouldnt have him in the 1st round anymore. You thank Schremp got it bad this guy is much worse. I dont mind some of that off the ice, but when your as skilled as he is, i mean this kid can flat out amaze you one shift with a beutifull goal, then rest of the game where is he?

Poor mans Thomas Vanek.

I think highly of the USHL. I probally like it more then most. It's very good hockey. THeres some definite talent in there. Just not nearly as much as the CHL. I dont think theres as much top end talent as well. I dont think it well ever catch up with the CHL. But as more and more drafted players out of the USHL have success, more and more well get drafted and more talented players with go the USHL ruite instead of going up to Canada (example Brown).
Have you seen Victor? I like him alot, I would use a 4th round pick or so on him. This year is a weak year in the USHL draft class wise but a great one for the Gamblers. Victory didnt see much ice time in the 1st game I saw this year, but in the 2nd one vs the Blackhawks he saw lots of time. He's a huge kid, He plays mean and nasty as well. I like his skills. Great stickhandler, hard shot but it lacks accuracy at times. He plays better then his stats show. Nate Dey has really caught my eye. I like him alot. He doesnt have the physical play that Victory carys though. Troy Davenport G has been a stud in net for them. Gamblers alone have 3 guys who should go in the draft this year.
I've seen Barker play, he's the best defensman in the draft. I will coment on him later. Sharks are on ...sorry. I'll do it in the mourning though!

Thank you very much, and I wrote 6"3 but it was 6"1 ;) . Continue your Good job! :yo: :handclap:

X-SHARKIE

Cam Barker, Defense, was my #2 ranked player in the 2004 entry draft before the season, He's one player i've seen plenty of.

Barker is a horse, he's huge. 6-3/ 215. He logs up a lot of ice time for medicine hat. In fact some say there over using him. Although he played around 24 minutes (very resonabile for the best defensman on the team). No contest really, if your team needs defense and is picking 3-5th. Barker is your man. Wes O'neil plays a very very good game but he'll be 2005 elgible because of NCAA rules IMO. Back to Barker. Barker plays great both defensivly and offensvily. In fact I think his game is more offense then defense at the moment. Somthing that well be fixed with age and higher skilled players playing against him. Great skater for his size, with a smooth stride and good agility. Very good on his skates. HARD SHOT, Has a booming shot from the point, he also is a good QB on the powerplay. Definilty a pp threat. Very smart player with great vision, always makes the correct play it seems. Very calm out there. Barker likes to use his size in the defensive zone. Some times he gets to agressive even and looses position. He has great positioning most of the tiem though. When his game is on Barker is a shut down kind player.
Could be Rob Blake down the road. Thats how high I am on him.

X-SHARKIE

With this weeks scouting reports i'm going just for the guys who should be late 2nd rounders-3rd rounders.
Vaclav Meidl 6-4 200 pounds, Plays on the right wing. Playing for Plymouth in the OHL. Vaclav is actually a Czech. First off lets get to the upside on this kid, He's 6-4 200 pounds. Great size. That alone catches your eye. Then you see how fast he can go. With great acceleration and top speed he's a very good skater. His skating and size are his best assests. Two things that highly way into the NHL. He only has average balance though, Just flat out falls somtimes. He has good agility and is dangerous with the puck. He can beat guys with more then just speed. He is a solid puckhandler and passer. Likes to pass more then he shoots. Solid shot but nothing noteworthy. Has somewhat of a physical edge to his game. When he hits he hits hard, he has a temper and took two bad penaltys in one of his games, He can fight as well. A tough to handle prospect, very raw but lots of upside. Has good hockey sense as well, I like his game. Late 2nd rounder. Just a player that's a force simply put, tough to contain with his size, strength, speed, smarts. A bit raw but I like him alot. One of my favroites in the 2004 entry draft.
Adam Berti 6-3/200 Center. Reminds me of the Mike Ricci we saw two years ago. Berti is a safe pick. Probally a 3rd rounder. He's got great size and strength. He's a beast out there. Earns his keep infront of the other teams net. Just goes to the net very hard, once there he was never moved out. Good hand eye cordnation made two nice tips. One ended up in Ehelechners belly, the other just missed wide. Berti is solid defensivly, has great vision and awarness. He can pass the puck well and sets up his linemates. Good wrist shot, didnt use his slap shot. A dump and chase kind of player, great grinder, Could be a third liner in the NHL. Lack of speed and a Nasty edge to his game is the draw backs on him. I also noticed lack of consistancy on in shifts. Good all around player, who may just be a tweener. I only seen him once this year, Caught my eye but I still have my doubts on him. Could be a good 4th liner, possibly making it to the third line.
David Bolland C, 5-11/ 170 I'm puzzled on this guy, I seen him alot because I wanted to see Schremp. I recently noticed him more, But I dont know if he's that good or is it just Schremp making him look good. First off he's a damn good center, He plays good defensivly, helps out alot in his own zone. Somthing I really like. He also dominates the face off circle. He only lost mabey 3 faceoffs i've seen of his. Really good in the face off department. He is a playmaker it seems, likes to pass it alot. Goes to the net hard after the initial shot is taken. But you wont see him screening many goalies. Small guy gets pushed around alot, but doesnt shy away from the physical side of the game, finishes checks and well take a hit to make the play. Uses a long stick and uses it to his advantage, making him have the reech of a 6-1 player using a medium sized stick. Has a good wrist shot, beat a goalie with a beutifull shot. Very acurate. Didnt notice his slap shot.
USHL stand out Joe Fallon G. he is huge, 6-3 and in the Gamblers program it has him listed at 195 pounds. Even for a young kid he's been in the USHL for three seasons now. I saw him last year for the first time, and again this year. He plays a very sound and positionally solid game. Nothing flashy, makes everything look easy and when he's almost impossible to beat. Great agility, Lateral movement is very good, He has very quick feet, Blocker is solid but his bread and butter is his glove. He uses it alot, i mean alot, even when mabey he shouldnt be using it. He sucks up rebounds well, Plays the puck behind the net also very well. The only really knock on him is somtimes a goal well be scored on him and he wont even move! Very confident goalie whose nothing amazing to watch, but is the USHL's version of Patrick Roy. Reminds me of Sharks own goaltender prospect Dimitry Patzold.
If i'm a GM and see him sitting in the third round I would snag him.

Enjoy...any questions on the players please just ask.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
Well heres my thoughts on Jakub Sindel, just one of the many good Czechs in the 2004 entry draft.

He's a good guy first off, He's always talking, looks like a leader. Always wanting to get back on the ice, you can tell he just loves the game. He's very small though, 6-0 isnt bad but he's a little guy. He should take his work outs more seriosly. Sindel is a very good skater with a smooth stride and can flat out just blow by defenders at times. Very good offensive instincts, he's a smart player with a goal scoring touch. Alot like Thomas Vanek the puck just seems to find him because he goes to the right places and when there he makes the goalies pay. Worked the powerplay very well, Sindel thrives on 1-1 situations. He has game breaking ability. Wont be a top 10 pick because of his size and his defensive game is missing, and he's soft. Sounds like Vanek a bit doesn't he? A goal scorer, who can do it with speed and stick handling, or just play smart and waite for the puck and launch his beutifull wrist shot.

I don't like the comparaison... Your description is perfect (He's extremely fast, can stickhandle through trafic and at top speed, great on 1 on 1 situation, goalscorer with underrated playmaking) but he doesn't look like Vanek. Both are offensive forwards who are extremely skilled and can be game breakers, but he ain't playing a similar game to Vanek.

Vanek seems to be the kind of player who don't do much but when you finally see him doing something, it's awesome. He has the ability to hide and position himself at the good places and he waits for the puck while Sindel tends to create his own chances. The big comparaison is, from what I've seen of both (I might not be correct), Vanek will score more than Sindel with good linemates while Sindel will score more than Vanek with bad linemates.

IMO, if you put Vanek and Sindel on a team like Pittsburgh, Sindel will outperform Vanek but it won't be the same if you put both on a team like Colorado.

Again, it's just a personnal opinion. Anyway, continue your great scouting reports, it's always good to see your opinions on young guns.

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Sharkie- enjoy your player reviews. I'll toss in my two cents on these players you have listed.

X-SHARKIE said:
With this weeks scouting reports i'm going just for the guys who should be late 2nd rounders-3rd rounders.
Vaclav Meidl 6-4 200 pounds, Plays on the right wing. Playing for Plymouth in the OHL. Vaclav is actually a Czech. First off lets get to the upside on this kid, He's 6-4 200 pounds. Great size. That alone catches your eye. Then you see how fast he can go. With great acceleration and top speed he's a very good skater. His skating and size are his best assests. Two things that highly way into the NHL. He only has average balance though, Just flat out falls somtimes. He has good agility and is dangerous with the puck. He can beat guys with more then just speed. He is a solid puckhandler and passer. Likes to pass more then he shoots. Solid shot but nothing noteworthy. Has somewhat of a physical edge to his game. When he hits he hits hard, he has a temper and took two bad penaltys in one of his games, He can fight as well. A tough to handle prospect, very raw but lots of upside. Has good hockey sense as well, I like his game. Late 2nd rounder. Just a player that's a force simply put, tough to contain with his size, strength, speed, smarts. A bit raw but I like him alot. One of my favroites in the 2004 entry draft.

I first saw Meidl at last year's U-17 Four Nations and had him ranked fourth amongst the Czechs there (behind Schwarz, Sindel and Smid, all potential top-15 guys in June). He's tall and lanky, just beginning to come into his own. He does play a physical style, which is becoming more "in vogue" for younger Euros. He hasn't been afraid to drop the mitts in the first half of his rookie North American season. Dominates down low and loves working the wall behind the net, though teams are beginning to counter that style. He needs to utilize some other moves as defenses and goaltenders are getting the book on him. He isn't close to 200 pounds, topping out at maybe 185. His upper body is okay, but his leg strength is poor, hence his balance problems. I would classify his speed and acceleration as only average, as he lacks a "second gear" and has no separation speed. However that should also improve as he works on his leg muscles. A better set-up man than scorer, and I would prefer to see him at centre as opposed to the wing. Huge upside as he is a smart and responsible team-formatted player who competes well.

X-SHARKIE said:
Adam Berti 6-3/200 Center. Reminds me of the Mike Ricci we saw two years ago. Berti is a safe pick. Probally a 3rd rounder. He's got great size and strength. He's a beast out there. Earns his keep infront of the other teams net. Just goes to the net very hard, once there he was never moved out. Good hand eye cordnation made two nice tips. One ended up in Ehelechners belly, the other just missed wide. Berti is solid defensivly, has great vision and awarness. He can pass the puck well and sets up his linemates. Good wrist shot, didnt use his slap shot. A dump and chase kind of player, great grinder, Could be a third liner in the NHL. Lack of speed and a Nasty edge to his game is the draw backs on him. I also noticed lack of consistancy on in shifts. Good all around player, who may just be a tweener. I only seen him once this year, Caught my eye but I still have my doubts on him. Could be a good 4th liner, possibly making it to the third line.

Berti is a player that leaves me wanting more. He's got size but doesn't use it on any consistent basis. He has excellent hands down low but the times I have seen him he doesn't pay the price to put himself in position to use them to the fullest. I think he can be a player, but I don't know if I can wait until that happens. Reminds me alot of Mike Rupp when he played in the OHL, and believe me when I tell you alot of folks are stunned he's made it to the show.

X-SHARKIE said:
David Bolland C, 5-11/ 170 I'm puzzled on this guy, I seen him alot because I wanted to see Schremp. I recently noticed him more, But I dont know if he's that good or is it just Schremp making him look good. First off he's a damn good center, He plays good defensivly, helps out alot in his own zone. Somthing I really like. He also dominates the face off circle. He only lost mabey 3 faceoffs i've seen of his. Really good in the face off department. He is a playmaker it seems, likes to pass it alot. Goes to the net hard after the initial shot is taken. But you wont see him screening many goalies. Small guy gets pushed around alot, but doesnt shy away from the physical side of the game, finishes checks and well take a hit to make the play. Uses a long stick and uses it to his advantage, making him have the reech of a 6-1 player using a medium sized stick. Has a good wrist shot, beat a goalie with a beutifull shot. Very acurate. Didnt notice his slap shot.

I like Bolland. Pure scorer but responsible in his own end, too. Not a huge player but doesn't play small. Agreed that Bolland is excellent on face-offs. But I don't agree that Schremp makes him look good because every time I see him Bolland has played on a separate line (he played with Prust and either Bois, Steadman or L. Hunter, although Dale Hunter does frequently juggle his lines), and they weren't even on the PP together. He does need to improve his strength as he does get pushed around a bit but he's a smart player who finds open ice and gets rid of the puck in a hurry. I feel Bolland is a fine player unto himself and will be a worthy 2nd-round pick who may end up in the late first.

Not meaning to steal any thunder or step on toes here, just tossing in one person's opinion. Adding another voice to the choir if you will. :D

BoBo9196

Aug 20, 2003
Anaheim
Sharkie great job, keep up the good work.

I was wondering if you had any information on Fredrik Näslund. From what I have read, he has been compaired to a young Mats Sundin. I was wondering what your opinion is about him. THanks

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Hey great job Sharkie, you've helped me with some draft info before and this is even better. keep up the weekly updates as theyre very appreciated

just wanted to ask/suggest for you to keep all the weekly update posts in this same thread and not to make any new ones (as you've so far done) so that I won't have to bookmark more than one thread. I like all your info and I'd like to refer back to it sometime but it'd be difficult bookmarking em all..

(and for the purpose of looking unselfish) itd also be flooding the boards ;)

X-SHARKIE

First off, feal free to add stuff to this thread. Add your own impressions on players if you like. The goal of this thread was so that people who want to know about the 2004 eligible players have a place to go. Also add to my impressions at will, I try to see most players that I want so I ask my friends around the world for different players almost every time. So I only see a guy on average once or twice, So if I miss somthing, overate ect. please let me know.

I"m sorry BoBo. I can honestly say I've never seen Naslund, Sorry about that. Anyone else you would like to hear about? Or mabey somone else here could help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->