Sharkies weekly 2004 Entry draft scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Sharkie or anyone else, any thoughts on Gianni Ehrensperger from Switzerland? I think he's going to be draft eligible this year, he is 85 born. Plays for Kloten in the Swiss league, but I don't think he's played a game this year. He has three goals at the WJC so far, I think.

:dunno:

X-SHARKIE

Drew Stafford F 6-2/205 Playing for North Dakota of the WCHA, I follow the WCHA closely becuase of the Badgers, so i'm quite fond of Drew. The team that drafts him is hoping he can devolope into a powerforward. Plays much like Nathan Horton did two years ago. Very hard worker, really hard nosed kid, He makes his living on the physical play. Good skill, but wont be anything special in the NHL. Good Skater, he's pretty quick, has a good first step. A player whose a bit Raw around the edges, he's no Hugh Jessiman, IMO he wouldve been a 28th-35th overall pick in last years draft. If I'm a GM I rather have Adam Pineault. Both are raw players with good upside, but I think Adam is the better player. Stafford has to give up college elgibility to enter the draft though.

With my own hockey I havent caught most of the WJC's. But I have them all on tape, So i'll get back to you on Ehrensperqer but if he had three goals thats pretty impressive.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Drew Stafford F 6-2/205 Playing for North Dakota of the WCHA, I follow the WCHA closely becuase of the Badgers, so i'm quite fond of Drew. The team that drafts him is hoping he can devolope into a powerforward. Plays much like Nathan Horton did two years ago. Very hard worker, really hard nosed kid, He makes his living on the physical play. Good skill, but wont be anything special in the NHL. Good Skater, he's pretty quick, has a good first step. A player whose a bit Raw around the edges, he's no Hugh Jessiman, IMO he wouldve been a 28th-35th overall pick in last years draft. If I'm a GM I rather have Adam Pineault. Both are raw players with good upside, but I think Adam is the better player. Stafford has to give up college elgibility to enter the draft though.

With my own hockey I havent caught most of the WJC's. But I have them all on tape, So i'll get back to you on Ehrensperqer but if he had three goals thats pretty impressive.

Thanks! It completes very well what I had of him!

Last edited:

chum

Feb 27, 2002
slats432 said:
I like your reports and appreciate them. Comments like this make zero sense.

well, if you think about it.. everyone in NHL has good skills.

X-SHARKIE

slats432 said:
I like your reports and appreciate them. Comments like this make zero sense.

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was, he may be a skilled player in terms of College level, but I dont think they well be note worthy once he plays with people that are in the NHL. I think Stafford may just fizzle out into a big third liner, not bad but if i'm drafting in the first round I want more then that.

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
X-SHARKIE said:
Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was, he may be a skilled player in terms of College level, but I dont think they well be note worthy once he plays with people that are in the NHL. I think Stafford may just fizzle out into a big third liner, not bad but if i'm drafting in the first round I want more then that.

So why would a team draft a third liner like Stafford before picking a player like Enver Lisin, Lukas Kaspar or Jakub Sindel who can score lots of goals? :dunno:

And can you tell me why Jakub Sindel is not in your top 30? :dunno:

X-SHARKIE

Stafford has good upside, I'm just being opinionated on him at the moment. I think he may just be a third liner some day, but he has the upside to be a very good powerforward, All the tools are there, but I see him ending up more like a 2nd-3rd liner, witch isnt bad at all. He reminds me alot of Danny Fritsche. Stafford has a great attitude and his always working hard, So on one hand I like him, but on the other I rather have the Sharks go with somone else. His upside is high, but IMO!! I dont think he'll ever hit that plateau that scouts think he can.

Sindel would definitly be in my top 30 now. He has looked very good in the WJC. Although he is a small forward, who needs to get bigger. He needs to add some much needed muscle. A good PK player and on the powerplay, he's a good skater. I've been somewaht impressed with him. I'de take him 15-18th overall at the moment.

Stafford and Sindel are two good examples of guys who alot of people like but I dont agree. I think there first rounders but there big risks.
I'm just like anyone else who watches these guys play, I like some more then others do, I dislike others more then most do ect. Heres a good example, I was asked in the Sharks forum who are my top 10 guys of the 2003 draft, I said 1. Fleury 2. Staal 3. Zherdev 4. Michalek 5. Horton 6. Kostitsyn 7. Suter 8. Stewart 9. Parise 10. Phaneuf
So take a grane of salt with my impressions because there MINE lol. I'm not high on Sindel or Stafford but there definitly players who deserve first round picks.

Last edited:

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
MrKnowNothing said:
Sharkie or anyone else, any thoughts on Gianni Ehrensperger from Switzerland? I think he's going to be draft eligible this year, he is 85 born. Plays for Kloten in the Swiss league, but I don't think he's played a game this year.

He seems very interesting having 5 goals and 2 assists in 6 games. And he is +8 :handclap: (Leader of the team) I don't think he is too small at 5"12 (I prefer 6"0 :)), so it would be interesting to know if he can make the draft. And he seems defensively aware with only 1 goals in the minus.

http://www.iihf.com/hydra/tournaments/output/W20/Player_stats_SUI.htm

Last edited:

jaybone87

Feb 1, 2003
Boomtown
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Adam Berti 6-3/200 Center. Reminds me of the Mike Ricci we saw two years ago. Berti is a safe pick. Probally a 3rd rounder. He's got great size and strength. He's a beast out there. Earns his keep infront of the other teams net. Just goes to the net very hard, once there he was never moved out. Good hand eye cordnation made two nice tips. One ended up in Ehelechners belly, the other just missed wide. Berti is solid defensivly, has great vision and awarness. He can pass the puck well and sets up his linemates. Good wrist shot, didnt use his slap shot. A dump and chase kind of player, great grinder, Could be a third liner in the NHL. Lack of speed and a Nasty edge to his game is the draw backs on him. I also noticed lack of consistancy on in shifts. Good all around player, who may just be a tweener. I only seen him once this year, Caught my eye but I still have my doubts on him. Could be a good 4th liner, possibly making it to the third line.

Sharkie you have to remember that Berti is a year behind in his developement he played 14 games last year and then had season ending knee surgery. He has hockey in his veins his brother was drafted by the Bruins and his father was a semi pro player. He is inconsistant with his play I agree but I'd take a chance on him in the mid second round.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
Sharkie, after Barker and O'Neill, who are your top defensemen and what do you think about them and where do you feel they'll go in the order?

X-SHARKIE

ClashCitiRockr said:
Sharkie, after Barker and O'Neill, who are your top defensemen and what do you think about them and where do you feel they'll go in the order?

I don't know what O'Neil is going to do, Him and Stafford may both Opt out of the draft to stay in College, but your guess is good as mine. Heres some of the other defensman who I like alot and are 2004 eligible.

Kirill Lyamin from Russia is a great one, a very solid player, I like him alot. He's all ready very mature and has great upside, great size, expeacially once he really fills out, he's 6-3 202 at the moment. Just an all around great defensman, one of the players who I really like. He does it all, he's very smart, always aware, he's a "take control" Kind of player,He's such a smart player, he's a crafty one, just really knows the game, I hear he is a mature kid, he likes to battle, not afraid of physical play, but he's no Hatcher, but he definitly likes to hit, Very good skater, has solid agility and good straite away speed, not an amazing skater, but he's definitly has a smooth and powerfull stride, Has a good transition game, great at settling the puck down in his zone, and getting it out, either with a perfect pass or a nice chip up the boards, Terrific vision,on ice awareness, and lots of upside, and little downside, the total package just needs to add some muscle, and just continue to devolope his game, Reminds me of a Scott Hannan with upside to be even better. 1st round Gem. I like him alot.

Sweden has two good ones, Johan Fransson 6-1/185? A great offensive defensman with excelent skating ability, but has to work on his defensive game. Great transition defensman. 2nd rounder. Swedens other defensman is the hulking Richard Demen Willaume at 6-3 200 he has good size, Not as talented all around as Lyamin but he's a good one.

The most known of the Defensive crop is the Czechs best defensman in the draft and arguably the 3rd best defensman in the hole draft, Ladislav Smid Lanky defensman at 6-3 190. He will fill out and be a horse some day but thats not his game, He is a great outlet passer, He can stickhandle as good as most forwards, he has poise with the puck, mature defensman, likes to hit, Has a h*ll of a shot! Can play in his own zone, can do the PK, then a shift later be the QB of a powerplay, Impressed me once again at the WJC. Smart player, has the size but could be more physical.

Last but not least, another one of my guys kind of player. A.J. Thelen 6-3/ 210. He just oozes upside, Has a great offensive game, The kid is a rock, just huge, He uses his frame in all aspects of the game, Seriosly this guy is awesome, He even skates very well, definitly a top 15 pick IMO. The only knack on him is some defensive lapses. Friend said "ahh max come on ..he's the next Jilson!" as we watched the tape. I dont think so, the guy has a great attitude I hear, He really looks like a top 2 defensman in IMO. I love his game, A guy who I would like to see the Sharks take.
Here is some of the _Under the Radar_ kind of defensman.
Oscar Hedman is another good swede player that I already talked about I believe, Just an all around good defensman 6-0/205
Slovaks Michal Sersen is a good one, actually playing in the QMJHL. Do you want a defensman who is raw, but has huge upside? A worthy risk to take in the 2nd round is on this kid, Kyle Koziara Pretty hard not to notice him at the USHL game i've seen of him this past season, he's huge 6-5 210. Mike Rathje llike upside. Then theres the defensive shut down kind of player in Andy Rogers good size at 6-4 210. He skates well but he's not the best offensivly. Has the tools to become a solid offensive contributor though.
Another USHL defensman who has caught my eye is Luke Beaverson of the Gamblers, 6-4/215, nothing flashy but just big and mean, I like him quite a bit. Oops I almost forgot one of the better defensman eligible, and probally a high 2nd round late 1st rounder.
Mike Green he does it all, Physical, smart, talented, A safe pick, has good upside and i'm pretty sure he's going to be in the NHL some day. Just dont know what role he'll fill out as.

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

Sorry, I forgot to make the order in witch I like them, I was pushing the
post minimum so i'll just do my defensman rankings on here.

1. Cam Barker
2. Wes O'Neil
3. Ladislav Smid
4. Kirill Lyamin
5. A.J. Thelen
6. Andrej Meszaros
7. Mike Green
8. Oscar Hedman
9. Johan Fransson
10. Richard Demen-Willaume

Those are my top 10 defensman IMO.

X-SHARKIE

MrKnowNothing said:
Sharkie or anyone else, any thoughts on Gianni Ehrensperger from Switzerland? I think he's going to be draft eligible this year, he is 85 born. Plays for Kloten in the Swiss league, but I don't think he's played a game this year. He has three goals at the WJC so far, I think.

:dunno:

I thought I was watching Brad Boyes out there at times, like Hokay said, a small guy, But he's very smart out there, great vision, very soft hands and distributes the puck well, he goes to the net and takes a beating to make the play. Good solid skater, lacks that 2nd gear and didn't blow by one defensman. Very crafty and smart is what I would say in a quick assesment of him. Definitly left an impression on me, He always was in the right position, made great passes, has a quick/accurate wrister. His stats and the game I saw him play in makes me have to think he'll get taken in the draft. Could be a steal, If the Red Wings take Gianni, i'll know to watch out for him, definitly impressed me.

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
X-SHARKIE said:
Kirill Lyamin from Russia is a great one, a very solid player, I like him alot. He's all ready very mature and has great upside, great size, expeacially once he really fills out, he's 6-3 202 at the moment. Just an all around great defensman, one of the players who I really like. 1st round Gem.

Do you know more about him? It would appreciated to have some information about this player. It's really hard to get something of him.

X-SHARKIE said:
The most known of the Defensive crop is the Czechs best defensman in the draft and arguably the 3rd best defensman in the hole draft, Ladislav Smid Lanky defensman at 6-3 190. He will fill out and be a horse some day but thats not his game, He is a great outlet passer, He can stickhandle as good as most forwards, he has poise with the puck, mature defensman, likes to hit, Has a h*ll of a shot! Can play in his own zone, can do the PK, then a shift later be the QB of a powerplay, Impressed me once again at the WJC. Smart player, has the size but could be more physical.

What is missing on him to be a top 5 or top 10 pick? He seems to be everything a scout likes to see. :dunno:

And how was Sami Lepisto during the WJC? :dunno: It's a surprise that the Detroit Red wings didn't drafted him? :p

X-SHARKIE

I added to Kirill Lyamin's profile for you.

Smid probally well be a top 10 pick if theres teams who are looking defensive in the draft. I agree, whats missing? I think it's not him, but more of what the guys like Olesz, Malkin, Ovechkin, ect. are doing and that well have to go higher. So he's probaly a top 10 pick, but not top 5. Why?
he's not very physical, he's 6-3 but he's not the strongest of players, He lacks that physical edge scouts like to see in defensman, How many defensman in the NHL get far by playing soft? Now he does play smart and reads the play well so I think that counters it, but it would be nice to see more physical play, Some times he gets to showy and doesnt use his teamates to help, he over handles the puck, trys to skate it end to end mabey to much. I've seen him leave his other partner and the goalie to the dogs on 2-1's ect. ect. So he does have some defensive lapses, Get more physical is a key, and he needs to pick his spots better.

I like Lisin more the Sindel, But to your question, Sindel works hard on the ice, but he's to small for me to say he has a good work ethic, he is 170 pounds !!! He has to hit the gym harder then that, he'll get pushed around easily by 215 pound defensman, he has to bulk up! I noticed he has really worked on his game though, give him credit there, but he needs to work out much harder. SKINNY!
Lisin is no tough guy. But he likes to use his body, he is a strong player, doesnt get pushed around much at all, He has the wheels of Kolstov sp? He plays a good two way game, back checks hard, I would thank he has a better work ethic, Sindel has more pure skill, Sindel can amaze me with skill alone some times, but Lisin is the more complete player. As you can see i'm just giong by what I read, and see, "drawing between the lines" if you will about there work ethics because I dont know them personally, I dont see them at practice or in the Weight room ect.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Thanks, Sharkie.

Kind of hoping for another Penguin late round Swiss selection.

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
I remarked that you placed Rob Schremp at the second place (or maybe the third if you say that Malkin should be second pick), anyway why place him so high instead of doing like most of the others and putting him at 7th or 9th because of his attitude. :dunno:

P.S. I placed him at the fifth place so I'm not in any side :D .

X-SHARKIE

That was early in the season, I'm definitly one of Schremps biggest supporters though, I would probally have him ranked 5 as well, i'm doing a mid season rakings soon, i've been thinking aobut it a bit. At the moment by top five would be,

1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Evgeni Malkin
3. Rostislav Olesz
4. Cam Barker
5. Robbie Schremp

I like Tukonen alot, I like Wes O'Neil alot. I'm not very high on Wolski though.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Do you know anything about Oleksandr Shevchenko? (he played for Ukrainian at this years U20 tournament) What round do you think he'll go in?

Me personally I think he is a great project, he has the height but needs to at least gain another 15lbs. But i'd like to know what he does as a forward...

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
Zherdev said:
Do you know anything about Oleksandr Shevchenko? (he played for Ukrainian at this years U20 tournament) What round do you think he'll go in?

Me personally I think he is a great project, he has the height but needs to at least gain another 15lbs. But i'd like to know what he does as a forward...

He was supposed to be Ukrainian's best player, but he just caught penalty after penalty. He played for Sudbury last year!?http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=71861

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->