Sharkies weekly 2004 Entry draft scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
X-SHARKIE said:
I do like Mark Fistric. His top end potential isnt the greatest though. He is built like a horse! OMG he's strong. He also is one of the best defensman in this draft at handling his own zone. He's a strong player with a hard shot, but lacks offensive awarness and he doesnt have a mean streak even though is game would thrive on it. Skating isnt an issue.

I think it is a case of a young player not really asserting his will on a game. I think we are going to see a different player next year. I think he is a more mobile version of Jamie Pushor with better defensive zone coverage. That makes him a potentially solid #4.

X-SHARKIE

ginner said:
I think it is a case of a young player not really asserting his will on a game. I think we are going to see a different player next year. I think he is a more mobile version of Jamie Pushor with better defensive zone coverage. That makes him a potentially solid #4.

Good point, before this year I had Mark Fistric as a potential first rounder. He hasnt impressed me this year. Also everyone has bad years, it's just a sad thing to see a kid have that bad year the same time when he is eligible for his draft year. I know that personally. Michalek had a solid start last year after a great campaign in 2001-2002 and looked dominant at the WJC's but lost confidence as the season went on and play time schrunk. He had an amazing camp in SJ this fall and looked very good in Edmonton and Calgary before the injurey. He is conditioning and getting the rust out witch is hard, (ask Ruutu) in Cleveland.

Modano is having a horrible year this year. imagine if he had that kind of year before his draft.

I agree with you, I like Fistric's potential alot. He could one day be a very good stay at home defensman. But in this years draft theres alot of other defensman prospects that have more upside and are adding things to there game and devoloping where he seemed to have taken a step back.

Just my 2 cents. Theres people out there who have seen Mark alot more then I have who do like him. Last year I loved Anthony Stewart and he fell late into the first round. I dont think Fistric is a worth 1st rounder, I would use a late 2nd round pick on him though.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
X-SHARKIE said:
Good point, before this year I had Mark Fistric as a potential first rounder. He hasnt impressed me this year. Also everyone has bad years, it's just a sad thing to see a kid have that bad year the same time when he is eligible for his draft year. I know that personally. Michalek had a solid start last year after a great campaign in 2001-2002 and looked dominant at the WJC's but lost confidence as the season went on and play time schrunk. He had an amazing camp in SJ this fall and looked very good in Edmonton and Calgary before the injurey. He is conditioning and getting the rust out witch is hard, (ask Ruutu) in Cleveland.

Modano is having a horrible year this year. imagine if he had that kind of year before his draft.

I agree with you, I like Fistric's potential alot. He could one day be a very good stay at home defensman. But in this years draft theres alot of other defensman prospects that have more upside and are adding things to there game and devoloping where he seemed to have taken a step back.

Just my 2 cents. Theres people out there who have seen Mark alot more then I have who do like him. Last year I loved Anthony Stewart and he fell late into the first round. I dont think Fistric is a worth 1st rounder, I would use a late 2nd round pick on him though.

Well here is hoping that he is available when the nux pick at #46. I will be shocked if that is the case but he would not be the first big d-man to drop. I would certainly be happy if he was what we had to show for the Umberger pick.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
to sharkie or whoever else, i was wondering if i could get a report on the following players, i seam to not be able to find anything on them:

-kyle chipchura
-lukas kaspar
-alexander radulov
-alexander picard
-sami lepisto
-bryan bickell
-jeff schultz
-dane byers
thanks

Last edited:

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
zetterberg40 said:
to sharkie or whoever else, i was wondering if i could get a report on the following players, i seam to not be able to find anything on them:

-kyle chipchura
-lukas kaspar
-alexander radulov
-alexander picard
-sami lepisto
-bryan bickell
-jeff schultz
-dane byers
thanks

You can go in the previous pages, there's already scouting reports for some of your players.

P.S.: :D It's my 200th post! :yo:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Hokay said:
You can go in the previous pages, there's already scouting reports for some of your players.

P.S.: :D It's my 200th post! :yo:

ive gone through this thread about 5-6 times fully and i didnt see MUCH on the players i listed, maybe i missed it or missed a page... ill check agan

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
czechhockeyfan said:
I have to disagree. Definitely not great skater but not entirely bad. Very creative, very good passer, soft hands, sees the ice pretty well.

I was not refering to Roman Voloshenko. I was just saying he can't be that poor because it's rare to find a russian who is a bad skater. But I know they exist...

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
zetterberg40 said:
ive gone through this thread about 5-6 times fully and i didnt see MUCH on the players i listed, maybe i missed it or missed a page... ill check agan

Or maybe I just saw these scouting reports on other threads... I don't know :dunno: :p

Last edited:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Hokay said:
Or maybe I just saw these scouting reports on other threads... I don't know :dunno: :p

that must have been it because i dont see anything in here on any of the players i listed, and if there are, its not enough to get good insight on how good they will be

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
zetterberg40 said:
that must have been it because i dont see anything in here on any of the players i listed, and if there are, its not enough to get good insight on how good they will be

Look, I'm not gonna search for you, the only thing I can tell you, is that if your searching enough in the prospects board you'll find enough info about some of your players.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Great reports Sharkie. Thanks for the effort. Two questions:

1. If Cam Barker were in the 2004 draft, where would he have rated among all the defensemen? In other words, do you think he is a better prospect than Sutter, Phaneuf, Coburn, etc? Where would he rank among them?

2. Where would Malkin and Olesz rank among Centers if they were also in the 2004 draft?

Thanks. :) Just trying to figure out how good the top end Centers and Defenseman are this year compared to last year's draft.

X-SHARKIE

Pachoo said:
Great reports Sharkie. Thanks for the effort. Two questions:

1. If Cam Barker were in the 2004 draft, where would he have rated among all the defensemen? In other words, do you think he is a better prospect than Sutter, Phaneuf, Coburn, etc? Where would he rank among them?

2. Where would Malkin and Olesz rank among Centers if they were also in the 2004 draft?

Thanks. :) Just trying to figure out how good the top end Centers and Defenseman are this year compared to last year's draft.

Hi Pachoo, apreciate the support! I know what you mean, your asking me to compare these players to the players taken in the 2003 draft. This coming draft well be the 2004. So heres the answeres to your questions.

1. Cam Barker. Well this is a tough one. I really enjoy Ryan Suter, I watched him last year a bit but this year I really got to see him because he plays 1 hour away in Madison Wisconsin. He's a stud, He excells at both ends of the game. I like him alot. He's going to be very very solid and mabey one of the leagues best down the road. He can do it all, he's nasty, smart, and he has good puck skills and well be a fixture offensivly. I liked Couborn last year but havent had the chance to catch up on him this year. People call him the next Progner, but he's not very agressive, I would say he's the next Mike Rathje, witch is a great thing to have, a shut down defensman who logs lots of minutes and never puts the team in risk. His offensive production well likely be higher though. Phaneuf is a monster of a prospect. He was taken third out of defensman last year in the draft but he's becoming a likely canidate to be the best of the bunch. Really doing well this year and in the WJC's he showed more to his game. He's really devoloping into a #1 defensman. I like him alot. Great pick but Sutter and his staff.
Cam Barker though has the most upside. His offensive game is slightly ahead of his defensive game. He's one of the better prospects defensivly in the game today. He has the potential to be like Rob Blake, a big threat offensivly and a shut down defensman on the defensive side. I would rank him 1st out of the group.
1. Cam Barker 2. Ryan Suter 3. Dion Phaneuf 4. Bradon Couborn.

Alexander Ovechkin couldve went #1 overall last year. He's amazing, he's finesse, he's physical. I mean I watch the guy and he has 0 weaknesses to his game! Malkin is a big lanky playmaker with good skating ability. He works his butt off as well. He's like the Eric Staal of the draft somewhat. I liked Eric more though.
1. Alexander Ovechkin 2. Eric Staal 3. Evgeni Malkin

Hope you enjoyed.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Hokay said:
Look, I'm not gonna search for you, the only thing I can tell you, is that if your searching enough in the prospects board you'll find enough info about some of your players.

No where do i recall you asking for you to look, i asked sharkie on his input, not you, no offense. Believe me, i spent a hour yesterday looking for info on those players, got nothing besides mock draft that old where the player would be draft and what league he plays in, nothing more....

X-SHARKIE

zetterberg40 said:

-kyle chipchura
-lukas kaspar
-alexander radulov
-alexander picard
-sami lepisto
-bryan bickell
-jeff schultz
-dane byers
thanks

Hi Zetterburg, I can help you with a few of them. I've been buisy as of late and focused on other things so sorry this took awhile!

Kyle Chipchura. Obviosly CSB has him ranked #1 in North America. A bit high IMO. Kyle is a very safe pick. He'll be a player. He's got good size at 6-2 200 pounds. His strength IMO is his skating ability. He's very agile, great acceleration, great balance, and he can flat out move. Very fast. Has a physical edge to his game. He hits very effectivly and takes his man out of the play. He's not overly physical so I wouldnt call him a powerforward. But he does not shy away from this aspect of the game at all. You'll see him crash the net, finish his checks, he'll be a force along the boards, he forechecks hard, he plants him self in front of the net, he is a handfull when he wants to be. It's not all brawns with Kyle as well. He really knows the game. Chipchura plays effectivly defensivly. He'll never be the cause of a bad goal allowed. He takes his man and puts him out of the play. He excells at body positioning down low. He see's the ice very well, and knows how to read the play. Has a solid shot, but his best attirbute with the puck is his passing. Very soft tape to tape passes. He sets players up for gimme goals alot.
Top 10 pick.
I see the QMJHL games more then any other Canadian Junior league. ( so I can see Steve Bernier mostly) So I see Alexandre Picard quite a bit. I also saw him in this years top prospect game. I like the kid so much, he's #1 on my " Players I hope the Sharks draft" list. Could change though...always does.
Picard is a speedy player with a odd skating stride, but really hammers the puck and is an excelent sniper. He hustles and plays good defensivly. Thats how I would sum him up. He's a tall 6-2 and uses a big stick. He has a long stride, and really picks up speed and knows how to use it. He's about 200 pounds so he's strong enough. He's a bulldog for the net, he also forechecks hard and is willing to utilize his frame to his best abilitys. Much like Thomas Vanek he just seems to be in the right place at the right time. He scores big goals, and he saves the best for last as he rases his game every time his team needs him. A very desirable traite. And Man can he shoot! Great finishing ability.

I seen some of the others limitidly. So i'll get back to you on those. Kyle and Alex are the top two of your list though.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
thanks a lot sharkie... if ur busy its cool.. dont worry about it, if u could have helped it would have been great, and you did, so its great...

thanks man, keep up the good work

st_roland

X-SHARKIE said:
Hi Zetterburg, I can help you with a few of them. I've been buisy as of late and focused on other things so sorry this took awhile!

Kyle Chipchura. Obviosly CSB has him ranked #1 in North America. A bit high IMO. Kyle is a very safe pick. He'll be a player. He's got good size at 6-2 200 pounds. His strength IMO is his skating ability. He's very agile, great acceleration, great balance, and he can flat out move. Very fast. Has a physical edge to his game. He hits very effectivly and takes his man out of the play. He's not overly physical so I wouldnt call him a powerforward. But he does not shy away from this aspect of the game at all. You'll see him crash the net, finish his checks, he'll be a force along the boards, he forechecks hard, he plants him self in front of the net, he is a handfull when he wants to be. It's not all brawns with Kyle as well. He really knows the game. Chipchura plays effectivly defensivly. He'll never be the cause of a bad goal allowed. He takes his man and puts him out of the play. He excells at body positioning down low. He see's the ice very well, and knows how to read the play. Has a solid shot, but his best attirbute with the puck is his passing. Very soft tape to tape passes. He sets players up for gimme goals alot.
Top 10 pick.
I see the QMJHL games more then any other Canadian Junior league. ( so I can see Steve Bernier mostly) So I see Alexandre Picard quite a bit. I also saw him in this years top prospect game. I like the kid so much, he's #1 on my " Players I hope the Sharks draft" list. Could change though...always does.
Picard is a speedy player with a odd skating stride, but really hammers the puck and is an excelent sniper. He hustles and plays good defensivly. Thats how I would sum him up. He's a tall 6-2 and uses a big stick. He has a long stride, and really picks up speed and knows how to use it. He's about 200 pounds so he's strong enough. He's a bulldog for the net, he also forechecks hard and is willing to utilize his frame to his best abilitys. Much like Thomas Vanek he just seems to be in the right place at the right time. He scores big goals, and he saves the best for last as he rases his game every time his team needs him. A very desirable traite. And Man can he shoot! Great finishing ability.

I seen some of the others limitidly. So i'll get back to you on those. Kyle and Alex are the top two of your list though.

Do you have Barker ahead of Olesz now? I would find it hard to believe that a guy with that much potential could be behind a guy I see as a surefire 3rd line center, with a chance of being a #2 center. Am I underrating Olesz? If the caps miss out on Ovechkin, I'd almost rather see them pick up barker over malkin. Imagine a Top 3 of gonchar, Eminger, and Barker. Also, can you give me your opinion of Eminger? Tsn.ca says his potential is a top 4 defenseman, but i've heard many say he could be a potential franchise #1?

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
X-SHARKIE said:
Hi Pachoo, apreciate the support! I know what you mean, your asking me to compare these players to the players taken in the 2003 draft. This coming draft well be the 2004. So heres the answeres to your questions.

1. Cam Barker. Well this is a tough one. I really enjoy Ryan Suter, I watched him last year a bit but this year I really got to see him because he plays 1 hour away in Madison Wisconsin. He's a stud, He excells at both ends of the game. I like him alot. He's going to be very very solid and mabey one of the leagues best down the road. He can do it all, he's nasty, smart, and he has good puck skills and well be a fixture offensivly. I liked Couborn last year but havent had the chance to catch up on him this year. People call him the next Progner, but he's not very agressive, I would say he's the next Mike Rathje, witch is a great thing to have, a shut down defensman who logs lots of minutes and never puts the team in risk. His offensive production well likely be higher though. Phaneuf is a monster of a prospect. He was taken third out of defensman last year in the draft but he's becoming a likely canidate to be the best of the bunch. Really doing well this year and in the WJC's he showed more to his game. He's really devoloping into a #1 defensman. I like him alot. Great pick but Sutter and his staff.
Cam Barker though has the most upside. His offensive game is slightly ahead of his defensive game. He's one of the better prospects defensivly in the game today. He has the potential to be like Rob Blake, a big threat offensivly and a shut down defensman on the defensive side. I would rank him 1st out of the group.
1. Cam Barker 2. Ryan Suter 3. Dion Phaneuf 4. Bradon Couborn.

Alexander Ovechkin couldve went #1 overall last year. He's amazing, he's finesse, he's physical. I mean I watch the guy and he has 0 weaknesses to his game! Malkin is a big lanky playmaker with good skating ability. He works his butt off as well. He's like the Eric Staal of the draft somewhat. I liked Eric more though.
1. Alexander Ovechkin 2. Eric Staal 3. Evgeni Malkin

Hope you enjoyed.
Hey I completely agree with that post, and completely agreeing with a post doesn't happen much for me :D

I really think Coburn overrated, I really think Barker is underrated, Ryan Suter sounds awesome (I really only see him at WJC so I can't talk much) Phaneuf was a real late riser last year and just keeps improving, so ya I completely agree, just thought I'd back you up :handclap:

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
zetterberg40 said:
No where do i recall you asking for you to look, i asked sharkie on his input, not you, no offense. Believe me, i spent a hour yesterday looking for info on those players, got nothing besides mock draft that old where the player would be draft and what league he plays in, nothing more....

If I know how to read I can see your first sentence was: "to sharkie or whoever else". But I don't want to debate with you, in the begining I just wanted to help you and know it's becoming a little war. I'm sorry if I made you search for nothing, And I agree with that for some of the players on your list, there's maybe not enough info on some players...

X-SHARKIE

Well like everyone else, my opinion in is constantly changing on players. One great game makes me like the guy more, then a bad game makes me start to nit pick his game.

I think your underated Olesz. Although you do bring up some good concerns. He reminds me of Owen Nolan to be honest. Olesz does have skill. He could be a first liner, He's a pretty safe pick. I dont see him being less then a 2nd liner on a team in the NHL when he's devoloped. Although i'lll be honest. I think Malkin is a much better prospect. I also do like Barker more then Olesz.

Olesz would go 4th overall IMO if the draft was held today IMO.

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
X-SHARKIE said:
Well like everyone else, my opinion in is constantly changing on players. One great game makes me like the guy more, then a bad game makes me start to nit pick his game.

I think your underated Olesz. Although you do bring up some good concerns. He reminds me of Owen Nolan to be honest. Olesz does have skill. He could be a first liner, He's a pretty safe pick. I dont see him being less then a 2nd liner on a team in the NHL when he's devoloped. Although i'lll be honest. I think Malkin is a much better prospect. I also do like Barker more then Olesz.

Olesz would go 4th overall IMO if the draft was held today IMO.

I completely agree, Because the race for the 2nd spot is very tight, and maybe we'll be very suprised when the 2nd team to annouce his pick will talk.

And Maybe there's gonna be another Jiri Hudler but in the other sense (instead of being drafted like 40 spot later, the player would be picked way higher)

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Hokay said:
If I know how to read I can see your first sentence was: "to sharkie or whoever else". But I don't want to debate with you, in the begining I just wanted to help you and know it's becoming a little war. I'm sorry if I made you search for nothing, And I agree with that for some of the players on your list, there's maybe not enough info on some players...

its not a war, u came off and said for me to get off my lazy *** and look and i did, believe me, thats why i asked for sharkies input... believe me i got a lot of time on my hands

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
zetterberg40 said:
its not a war, u came off and said for me to get off my lazy *** and look and i did, believe me, thats why i asked for sharkies input... believe me i got a lot of time on my hands

I said "little war" cuz where replying each things the other says, but when I told you to look in the previous pages, I tought you threw your post without looking before. (like some people do)
And when you said "ive gone through this thread about 5-6 times fully and i didnt see MUCH on the players i listed, maybe i missed it or missed a page... ill check agan" It was sarcastic, was it?

Let stop this useless confrontation. I prefer to talk about hockey than doing this.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Hokay said:
I said "little war" cuz where replying each things the other says, but when I told you to look in the previous pages, I tought you threw your post without looking before. (like some people do)
And when you said "ive gone through this thread about 5-6 times fully and i didnt see MUCH on the players i listed, maybe i missed it or missed a page... ill check agan" It was sarcastic, was it?

Let stop this useless confrontation. I prefer to talk about hockey than doing this.

agreed.

so how about this ovechkin kid, i hear he's good :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad