Sharkies weekly 2004 Entry draft scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Every week i'll post a scouting report of a player in the 2004 Entry draft. I'll actually do one scouting report on a guy who is well known to all, and one that i've seen and liked but who is under the radar of most. With Ovechkins skills known to everyone on these boards..I'll just skip him and give you my impressions of the arguably 2nd most skilled player in the draft.
Heres my scouting report on Evgeni Malkin.

Well lets start off with the basics. Malkin has great size, he's really grown into his big frame this season, he now is 6-3 205 pounds. He should top out at 215ish. He can be a physical player at times but I wouldn't say he's a power forward. Not as good of a shooter as Ovechkin, Malkin scores most of his goals by going very hard to the net. Once there he's very hard to move. A very good skater, He does it all. A smoot powerfull stride with good balance and good acceleration, he's definitly a good skater. Malkin has great hands, He can dangle. He's a creative player with great vison, He sets up his man very well and passes the puck crisp and right on the tape. He's not all offense, he plays a very good two way game as well. Like Ovechkin he plays a very mature game. He has great finishing skills and well put in lots of points in the NHL. Around 80 point seasons is his high mark I think. But his all around game and size with skill well make him a very valuable member of any team. I used to like Schremp more but I now think that Malkin and Olesz are going #2 and #3.

Heres my scouting report on Enver Lisin.

Fast, Very fast. Every time you think of Lisin you should think speed. He is the best skater in this draft, and the fastest i've seen in any draft for awhile. He has amazing acceleration. Definitly going to be a threat in the NHL just by his speed alone. Some I talked to say he can't stick handle. I dont by that, he may not be as flashy as Ovechkin, but it's not that, he's just as good as some NHLers. So I don't think it's a weakness. Lisin is a finisher, he scores goals, plain and simple. He's not bad at setting up his man, in fact he's a good passer but he's definitly a goal scorer. He has a nose for the net and crashes hard, he has good awarness, the puck seems to find him on the ice. He uses his speed on his defensive game, he hustles on the back check almost every time, except when he's out of gas witch is understandable. He is bumped around alot, he's got solid size at 6-1 176 pounds but he gets pushed around alot. He doesn't like the physical game, witch might hurt him in the NHL. Although in my 2nd tape of him, being the more recent one he showed decent toughness and seems to be bulking up more. He has a good frame to grow into. He has great vison and really knows how to utilize his speed.
I see Lisin as a top 15 pick, Reminds me of a Patrick Marleau like player.

John Lammers

playing for Lethbridge last season and this year, Lammers has potential to be a real offensive threat in the NHL. A classic hit or miss prospect Lammers is all offense. Should be a second to third rounder, but if he hits and and developes the team that drafts him could look like a genius, yet his downside is he could be a tweener and not make it past the AHL.
Lammers is very noticeble on the ice, I like watching the guy, He's a speester much like Lisin, not as fast but who is? Lammers has great acceleration and realy has good good vison and picks the correct holes. He always keeps his feet moving to fight threw traffic and get open. Once open he's equally as dangerous. Very creative Lammers sets up well, He's a triple threat. He'll beat you with speed, or a nice pass, somtimes he'll just deke you out. He's got soft hands, passes well, and stickhandles well. He crashes the net well and doesn't shy away from the physical game. Although he's a bit small for NHL standards at 5-11 186. His defensive game needs alot of work, but most players at his age do. He gets burned in his own zone, and really doesn't know the defensive game. I dont see why there isn't more hype on this kid, I like him alot.
Should be a late 2nd rounder, but if I was a GM I would take him if I had a pick early/mid 2nd round. He's just so dangerous offensivly.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this, I plan on doing this once a week. If anyone has a request of a scouting report on a player for next weeks addition i'll field it. The only criteria I have is that i've actually SEEN the player play once. I wont guess so these reports are legit. I'm also known to have my biasness towards some prospects. Example: I think Schremps a good guy, I dont see his stock falling because of his trade, he actually is a nice guy I hear. I like size but I'm not obsessed with it. I think Dubynk is going to go higher in the draft but I think Marek Schwarz is the more skilled, although Dubynk just shuts down the bottom of the net and has cat like reflexes as well. So thats up in the air..Any who Enjoy and any one want me to report on a certain player next week?

Last edited:

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
I wouldn't mind seeing the Preds nab Lisin. Either that or Sindel. Though I'd like a bigger scorer, beggars can't be choosy and if we draft around 15th, I doubt any Rick Nashs are available.

Hockeystick

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
How about a scouting report on Justin Peters? Just watched him play on Sportsnet. Looks like he handles the puck very well for a 17 year old

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Every week i'll post a scouting report of a player in the 2004 Entry draft. I'll actually do one scouting report on a guy who is well known to all, and one that i've seen and liked but who is under the radar of most.

I really enjoy it. I hope that you will be doing this for a long time... :bow: :D

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Heres my scouting report on Enver Lisin.

Fast, Very fast. Every time you think of Lisin you should think speed. He is the best skater in this draft, and the fastest i've seen in any draft for awhile. He has amazing acceleration. Definitly going to be a threat in the NHL just by his speed alone. Some I talked to say he can't stick handle. I dont by that, he may not be as flashy as Ovechkin, but it's not that, he's just as good as some NHLers. So I don't think it's a weakness. Lisin is a finisher, he scores goals, plain and simple. He's not bad at setting up his man, in fact he's a good passer but he's definitly a goal scorer. He has a nose for the net and crashes hard, he has good awarness, the puck seems to find him on the ice. He uses his speed on his defensive game, he hustles on the back check almost every time, except when he's out of gas witch is understandable. He is bumped around alot, he's got solid size at 6-1 176 pounds but he gets pushed around alot. He doesn't like the physical game, witch might hurt him in the NHL. Although in my 2nd tape of him, being the more recent one he showed decent toughness and seems to be bulking up more. He has a good frame to grow into. He has great vison and really knows how to utilize his speed.
I see Lisin as a top 15 pick, Reminds me of a Patrick Marleau like player.

I've been searching for a scouting report of him for a long time :rolly: ! Thanks!I like your idea, and me too I hope you'll do this for a long time! :yo:

X-SHARKIE

Well heres my thoughts on Jakub Sindel, just one of the many good Czechs in the 2004 entry draft.

He's a good guy first off, He's always talking, looks like a leader. Always wanting to get back on the ice, you can tell he just loves the game. He's very small though, 6-0 isnt bad but he's a little guy. He should take his work outs more seriosly. Sindel is a very good skater with a smooth stride and can flat out just blow by defenders at times. Very good offensive instincts, he's a smart player with a goal scoring touch. Alot like Thomas Vanek the puck just seems to find him because he goes to the right places and when there he makes the goalies pay. Worked the powerplay very well, Sindel thrives on 1-1 situations. He has game breaking ability. Wont be a top 10 pick because of his size and his defensive game is missing, and he's soft. Sounds like Vanek a bit doesn't he? A goal scorer, who can do it with speed and stick handling, or just play smart and waite for the puck and launch his beutifull wrist shot. I like him alot, Like Lisin I think a team who just made the playoffs at the 8th spots or just made it well get this guy.
I was going to tell you guys about a player who I really like..David Booth from Michigan state, He's a powerforward in the making. I like his game alot. But for the same Reason I won't talk abou Wes O'neil on this is because there likely to opt out. But if O'neil opts in he's definitly a top 7 pick and should be right behind Barker.
One of the most promising 2004 entry draft elgible players IMO is Carl Soderberg from Sweden. A big kid at 6-3, looks to be around 205 pounds, Carl is a budding two way star. He drives hard to the net, if you watched Steve Bernier do this in the Q you could imagine how tough it is for defenders to move Carl out of there. He gets garbage goals, witch every teem likes but he also has a nice shot, He is very smart offensivly. Like Sindel just finds him self in the right place at the right time it seemed. He's a goal scoer as well, he has two wicked shots. His wrist shot is quick and accurate, He simply just snipered one past the goalie in the tape I have, He also has a heavy and accurate slap shot. Both are going to be noticed in the NHL. He plays both speacial team units, he works hard defensivly a player with great defensive awarness. Decent skater for such a big guy, it needs work. He also doesn't pass well and somtimes misses the open man.
A great defensive minded player with great size and awesome offensive skills. Soderberg is a 1st round worthy prospect IMO.

Another underated Sweden born player is Oscar Hedman
A very solid defensman, this draft years Mark Stuart. Very safe pick should find him self in the 2nd round and should be a 4th-6th defensman in the NHL. Oscar handles the physical game very well. He's got a great work ethic I hear plus he's got a good build to show for it, 6-0 205 pounds, he's a stock kid whose tough to nock off the puck, and can hit hard! He's good on his feet skates like Gary Suter, well balanced and just quietly goes places and gets there fast. Great outlet passer, Oscar has great vision and really sets up his man well in all zones. A work horse, he gets lots of ice time for Modo Jr on both the PK and PP. Great PP QB. He handles the puck very well, in fact more that I think of it he's a poor mans Ryan Suter. He could work on his acceleration, in the NHL game he could be beat to the puck. Just a all around solid player with no real weaknesses, but nothing really great either. I think he's a mid 2nd round pick. IMO the 2nd best defensman out of Sweden behind last years elgible Johan Fransson.

I'll just keep on adding them to this post.. SO I dont have a dozen Sharkies weekly ect. SO keep on checking and i'm take requests!

Last edited:

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Very nice scouting reports X-SHARKIE! I look forward to hearing more reports in the future...

...By the way, what do you think of Kyle Chipchura?

X-SHARKIE

Hey thanks, Kyle is a guy that I dont what to think about him. I think to some he's underated to others he overates. My family friend who gets the tapes for me loves this guy. He has good size, what is he 6-2? 205ish. He skates very well, smooth and long stride just a flat out good skater. He always finishes his checks, and can be a force physically at times. I wish he was nastier though. He seems to panick with the puck to much. He can stick handle the puck very well, even at full speed. He's good defensivly and is rarely caught out of position. Plays both on PP and PK. Also Kyle is a great forechecker, He also is a great passer. Good vision he seems to be able to find the open man and put the puck right on the tape. A good prospect who just needs to keep on Maturing. I see him as a late 1st round or early 2nd rounder. I think he needs to relax on the ice. He just looks nervous at times and then rushes things. But at the same time he can make the hard plays look easy and just amaze me at times. So I dont know what to think of him somtimes.

Dr_Chimera*

X-SHARKIE said:
Every week i'll post a scouting report of a player in the 2004 Entry draft. I'll actually do one scouting report on a guy who is well known to all, and one that i've seen and liked but who is under the radar of most. With Ovechkins skills known to everyone on these boards..I'll just skip him and give you my impressions of the arguably 2nd most skilled player in the draft.
Heres my scouting report on Evgeni Malkin.

Looks like you've been reading either McKeen's or redline very carefully. Way to rip-off.

X-SHARKIE

Ferdonnet said:
Looks like you've been reading either McKeen's or redline very carefully. Way to rip-off.

I actually get my tapes from a family friend who lives just south of Thunder Bay. I do not subscribe to redline -to expensive- I do enjoy Mckeens though, although there to high on most players IMO. Just read there scouting report on Thomas Plihal of the Sharks lol. Anywho I do use Mckeens to help but like I said, I have seen these guys at least once when I speak of them, my reports on these players are from me and they are legit. Thats why I have not covered Rostislav Olesz, I havent seen him play, I will see him at the WJC though once I get those tapes. But to call me a rip off is off base. Like I said, I've seen these guys at least one time.

Dr_Chimera*

X-SHARKIE said:
I actually get my tapes from a family friend who lives just south of Thunder Bay. I do not subscribe to redline -to expensive- I do enjoy Mckeens though, although there to high on most players IMO. Just read there scouting report on Thomas Plihal of the Sharks lol. Anywho I do use Mckeens to help but like I said, I have seen these guys at least once when I speak of them, my reports on these players are from me and they are legit. Thats why I have not covered Rostislav Olesz, I havent seen him play, I will see him at the WJC though once I get those tapes. But to call me a rip off is off base. Like I said, I've seen these guys at least one time.

I called you a rip-off, because I see too many "coincidences" as a subscriber myself.

That and most stuff here is from self-proclaimed scouts who provide questionable info. But you know which category you fit in - that's all I'll say.

leafaholix*

Ferdonnet, ignore his scouting reports if you feel they're "ripped off".

There's no reason why you should come in here and attempt to put down Sharkie.

No need to start bs.

Dr_Chimera*

go pierre hedin said:
Ferdonnet, ignore his scouting reports if you feel they're "ripped off".

There's no reason why you should come in here and attempt to put down Sharkie.

No need to start bs.

Well, I don't trust stuff from anonymous sources and I gave other reasons.

But if he's really seeing all of these guys, then I applaud his efforts.

DR. Holiday

Ferdonnet said:
Well, I don't trust stuff from anonymous sources and I gave other reasons.

But if he's really seeing all of these guys, then I applaud his efforts.
Hey come on NOW 1 TV viewing and taking stuff from Mckeens (Lammers) and redline (USATODAY). What MORE CAN YOU WANT. Keep up the good work sharkie

X-SHARKIE

Just to explain how I get my tapes, So this conversation officially ends. I'll explain.
I have a family friend who lives just south of ThunderBay. He's a huge huge junior hockey fan. He's retired and travels alot and sees many games him self, plus he's childhood best friends with Dan Nairn, one of there scouts. Scouts watch tapes to, He also told Rick, thats my familys friends name btw, he told Rick how he gets his tapes, so in turn he either gets tapes him self or from Dan, I get them usually to me about one-two months after the game has been played on average. That's how I get my CHL tapes. I see alot of Europeans from two ways.
Theres the WJC. The WU18, ect. So I see them that way, but mostly I get my tapes of guys like Ovechkin,Michalek,Lisin,Zherdev ect. over the past two years Rick has met some very nice people from accross the seas and in exchange for tapes of NHL games he gets tapes of games with top prospects in return. Rick has attended the WJC last year, not the 2001 though, and the 2000. I hope this clarifys things.
Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make sure you guys do understand that i've seen these guys play. I'm just lucky to know the right people. The tapes I get aren't up to date, but I still get a good read of the players.
So lets recap: I get CHL games from the Wolves scouting department when there all done with them and Rick has seen them.
I get Europe games in exchange for NHL games. Because they only get 1 or so Games a week of the NHL and it's at bad times. So both sides work it out.
NCAA: I simply just ask people on these boards and other boards who live across the country to tape a game for me, I usually give them 7$ or so. I also attend many Badger games.
USHL: I live just a few hours from Green Bay, I go see many Gambler games, I saw 20 last season. This year i'm very high on a kid name Nate Dey, Could be a steal after the 5th round.
AHL: I live near Milwaukee and I see some Admril games as well.
Fedornet is right though, I should give Mckeens more credit, I do look to them to make sure i'm not saying hog wash. I dont want to go oooo he's playing good defense this kid is a two way forward, and find out he was just hustling that one nite and other nites he's nothing. Ect. So I do use Mckeens to help base my opinions..
Sorry for such a long post, I plan on doing this untill the actual draft So I wanted to make sure people know these are legit reports. Thanks to those who already believed me :) i'll keep up coming fellas.

Last edited:

Dr_Chimera*

X-SHARKIE said:
Just to explain how I get my tapes, So this conversation officially ends. I'll explain.
I have a family friend who lives just south of ThunderBay. He's a huge huge junior hockey fan. He's retired and travels alot and sees many games him self, plus he's childhood best friends with Dan Nairn, one of there scouts. Scouts watch tapes to, He also told Rick, thats my familys friends name btw, he told Rick how he gets his tapes, so in turn he either gets tapes him self or from Dan, I get them usually to me about one-two months after the game has been played on average. That's how I get my CHL tapes. I see alot of Europeans from two ways.
Theres the WJC. The WU18, ect. So I see them that way, but mostly I get my tapes of guys like Ovechkin,Michalek,Lisin,Zherdev ect. over the past two years Rick has met some very nice people from accross the seas and in exchange for tapes of NHL games he gets tapes of games with top prospects in return. Rick has attended the WJC last year, not the 2001 though, and the 2000. I hope this clarifys things.
Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make sure you guys do understand that i've seen these guys play. I'm just lucky to know the right people. The tapes I get aren't up to date, but I still get a good read of the players.
So lets recap: I get CHL games from the Wolves scouting department when there all done with them and Rick has seen them.
I get Europe games in exchange for NHL games. Because they only get 1 or so Games a week of the NHL and it's at bad times. So both sides work it out.
NCAA: I simply just ask people on these boards and other boards who live across the country to tape a game for me, I usually give them 7$ or so. I also attend many Badger games.
USHL: I live just a few hours from Green Bay, I go see many Gambler games, I saw 20 last season. This year i'm very high on a kid name Nate Dey, Could be a steal after the 5th round.
AHL: I live near Milwaukee and I see some Admril games as well.
Fedornet is right though, I should give Mckeens more credit, I do look to them to make sure i'm not saying hog wash. I dont want to go oooo he's playing good defense this kid is a two way forward, and find out he was just hustling that one nite and other nites he's nothing. Ect. So I do use Mckeens to help base my opinions..
Sorry for such a long post, I plan on doing this untill the actual draft So I wanted to make sure people know these are legit reports. Thanks to those who already believed me :) i'll keep up coming fellas.

Thanks for clearing that up :handclap:

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
SmokeyClause said:
I wouldn't mind seeing the Preds nab Lisin. Either that or Sindel. Though I'd like a bigger scorer, beggars can't be choosy and if we draft around 15th, I doubt any Rick Nashs are available.

If they can grab Sindel, there set. He should be one hell of a goalscorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->