Sharkies weekly 2004 Entry draft scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Petr Pohl, I think he's a bit overated. The guy can score, no questions there. He has loads of offensive potential. I mean he does it all, he's an agile and quick skater, he has great vision and sets teamates up for gimme goals. He has a nice shot to boot, But he has to be mabey the worst defensive forward in the CHL with his draft stock so high. I would not draft him if I was a team, Unless he's sitting there in the 4th round or so. I just hate his lazyness on defense.

I also like Mitch Maunu. He's solid, He's a good skater, forwards,lateraly,backwards. He's got solid size, but needs to bulk up. I've seen smaller oponets push him around at times. I think the reason he doesnt shoot much is because his shot lacks in power. Smart player, solid in all facets of the game. He's gotta work on positioning, and get bigger. So really work on his own zone. I think 31 is reasonable.

Takkie

I Goc ya nose!
Jun 29, 2003
Florida
Visit site
How about Boris Valabik? is he a physical defensemen? the panthers need a physical glass rattling, clear the crease type defensemen, and Dudley loves big defensemen, so would valabik be a good addition to the redwoods defense?

X-SHARKIE

Takkie said:
How about Boris Valabik? is he a physical defensemen? the panthers need a physical glass rattling, clear the crease type defensemen, and Dudley loves big defensemen, so would valabik be a good addition to the redwoods defense?

I like Boris. He's been a stud for Kitchener this year. He's a great defensive defensman. for a guy this huge, (6-6 200 plus) he skates very well. He has good positioning and hits well. I like him, He definitly would fit the mold your talking about, a big defensman who can log in alot of time, he's not offensivly gifted to say the least but he'll be solid on defense and he's almost impossible to push out of infront of the net. Panthers may take a look at this guy, From 2nd to third round no one does it better then this guy.

You know what I havent seen Kink play. I heard he excelled at the WJC B tournament, he hasn't put up the numbers in the DEL we couldve hoped for. A player who could go 6-8th round much like Kai Hospelt did last year.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
TopGun12 said:
Ya I wouldn't mind finding a bit more about Schultz,Rogers, and Carson. All three of them play defense for the Calgary Hitmen.

Schultz is far and away the best, IMO. Plays a very mature game. Kind of looks like Matt Kinch in terms of poise, but the 20-year-old overager Kinch (Schultz is 17). Carson is a good passer and quite reliable. Rogers doesn't stand out a whole lot, which is not necessarily a bad thing when you're talking about defencemen. Just my opinion, based on the games I've seen. Hopefully I can get out to some more before the season's end.

Croc

Mar 31, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Mcgrath?

Im wondering why you dont rank Evan Mcgrath very highly?
I thought he was a top 15 pick has his stock plummeted? Or are you just not high on him or havent you seen him play?
Keep up the great info :handclap:
I now know 5x more about the 2004 draft thanks

X-SHARKIE

Croc said:
Im wondering why you dont rank Evan Mcgrath very highly?
I thought he was a top 15 pick has his stock plummeted? Or are you just not high on him or havent you seen him play?
Keep up the great info :handclap:
I now know 5x more about the 2004 draft thanks

He's kind of like the Dustin Brown of the draft. Good size, works hard, alot of skill, but his upside is in question. He skates like the wind, he has amazing skating ability, he's agile as well. He's an all around smart player, he also can be a great scorer. I had him ranked low but if I were to do a new ranking, I would have him higher, top 15 pick highish.

Two guys who have really caught my eye who I was not sold on at first are Alexandre Picard and Drew Stafford. Being a Sharks fan I'm always looking at guys who we could possibly land. After watching Dougey move from 21st to the 16th spot to aquire Steve Bernier, he showed me agressivness to aquire the players they want. I would really really love it if we walked away with Picard on draft day. He was very impressive at the CHL game, he's an excelent sniper with hustle and other skills to boot. Stafford impressed me at the WJC and has been great on a great team all season in North Dakota.

Croc

Mar 31, 2003
Australia
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
He's kind of like the Dustin Brown of the draft. Good size, works hard, alot of skill, but his upside is in question. He skates like the wind, he has amazing skating ability, he's agile as well. He's an all around smart player, he also can be a great scorer. I had him ranked low but if I were to do a new ranking, I would have him higher, top 15 pick highish.

Two guys who have really caught my eye who I was not sold on at first are Alexandre Picard and Drew Stafford. Being a Sharks fan I'm always looking at guys who we could possibly land. After watching Dougey move from 21st to the 16th spot to aquire Steve Bernier, he showed me agressivness to aquire the players they want. I would really really love it if we walked away with Picard on draft day. He was very impressive at the CHL game, he's an excelent sniper with hustle and other skills to boot. Stafford impressed me at the WJC and has been great on a great team all season in North Dakota.

Thanks for the prompt reply, who do you think will go early 2nd round 30-35 (i know its hard to predict)?

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
Hi, I was wondering if you had scouting reports of Roman Voloshenko and Sergei Ogorodnikov? I'm just curious of knowing why they're ranked this little high in the European Mid-term ranking.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
b-mad said:
As for Nepriayev, I see his name mentioned every once in awhile but even as a Caps fan I don't know a damn thing about him.....is he really NHL material?
:D
Neprayev: i don‘t know why, but it looks like he is one of the most unspoken prospect ever. Since he left me with a very good impression i like to spend some words about him.
Honestly, i was hoping for him to have a better year this season, his numbers (2+1 in 13games) don't show improvement from last year. I guess the main reason is the the club he plays for: Lokomotiv Yaroslav. This team relies on a solid group of veterans despite having the best junior teams in the country. I don't think that's a good thing for the development of their many good prospects after they turn 18. For what i know Glazachev, Nepryaev, Shafigullin, who are good enough to play regularly in the RSL, have to battle for a roster spot on the 4th line to play some minutes. A clear example of what i'm talking about is the case of Suglobov last year. The guy was a regular and productive player all year on the senior national team and at first had troubles cracking the roster of Lokomotiv and end up playing as a 4th liner all season.
Back to Nepryaev, after watching a couple of Lokomotiv games last year i posted my impressions on Suglobov and him. It looks like the archive has been erased since than, but here there is an extract from that post.
This words are one year old and based on only two games, but i guess that's anyway better than nothing!

“Ivan Nepryaev played center on the 4th line. For what i’ve seen this guy can become a really complete player. He has
good skill level in every department and defensive predisposition, but what impressed me the most is his balance. He is so steady on his skates that he can succesfully play in traffic and take one on one confrontation with bigger players. He is listed at 158pds by RHI but honestly it seems hard to believe he is 30pds lighter than Suglobov. I guess Alexander is not 187 and moreover Ivan weights more than 158... anyway he is surprisingly strong on his skates and surely plays bigger than his size. He took several useless penalties but that shouldn’t be a problem in the NHL where referees are way more tolerant with dirty play. Obviously he has to bulk up a lot, but he has the time get bigger and develop more offense out of his talent. I think this guy has a great chance to become in the future at least a 3rd liner in the NHL.
I’m really confident if he fills out phisically he will be a good NHLer. Suglobov has more offensive and scoring potential but Neprayev is a surer bet.â€

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
helicecopter said:
Neprayev: i don‘t know why, but it looks like he is one of the most unspoken prospect ever. Since he left me with a very good impression i like to spend some words about him.
Honestly, i was hoping for him to have a better year this season, his numbers (2+1 in 13games) don't show improvement from last year. I guess the main reason is the the club he plays for: Lokomotiv Yaroslav. This team relies on a solid group of veterans despite having the best junior teams in the country. I don't think that's a good thing for the development of their many good prospects after they turn 18. For what i know Glazachev, Nepryaev, Shafigullin, who are good enough to play regularly in the RSL, have to battle for a roster spot on the 4th line to play some minutes. A clear example of what i'm talking about is the case of Suglobov last year. The guy was a regular and productive player all year on the senior national team and at first had troubles cracking the roster of Lokomotiv and end up playing as a 4th liner all season.
Back to Nepryaev, after watching a couple of Lokomotiv games last year i posted my impressions on Suglobov and him. It looks like the archive has been erased since than, but here there is an extract from that post.
This words are one year old and based on only two games, but i guess that's anyway better than nothing!

“Ivan Nepryaev played center on the 4th line. For what i’ve seen this guy can become a really complete player. He has
good skill level in every department and defensive predisposition, but what impressed me the most is his balance. He is so steady on his skates that he can succesfully play in traffic and take one on one confrontation with bigger players. He is listed at 158pds by RHI but honestly it seems hard to believe he is 30pds lighter than Suglobov. I guess Alexander is not 187 and moreover Ivan weights more than 158... anyway he is surprisingly strong on his skates and surely plays bigger than his size. He took several useless penalties but that shouldn’t be a problem in the NHL where referees are way more tolerant with dirty play. Obviously he has to bulk up a lot, but he has the time get bigger and develop more offense out of his talent. I think this guy has a great chance to become in the future at least a 3rd liner in the NHL.
I’m really confident if he fills out phisically he will be a good NHLer. Suglobov has more offensive and scoring potential but Neprayev is a surer bet.â€

George McPhee is having a helluva a time getting him to come over and play in the AHL...its not like the sykora issue were its about the money though...he's always been a high ranked prospect but like you said we hardly know anything about him

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
BMWM3owner said:
George McPhee is having a helluva a time getting him to come over and play in the AHL...its not like the sykora issue were its about the money though...he's always been a high ranked prospect but like you said we hardly know anything about him

Maybe with the housecleaning going on now he'll see that theres a good oppurtunity for youngsters to actually play for the big club and that'll help lure him over here....something that needs to happen if this kid is gonna turn into anything considering if he's really gettin no ice-time because of stupid management politics.

thanx for the report Helicecopter

X-SHARKIE

I like Lacosta. His stock is definilty rising as the season goes on. He's one of the top 3 goalies from the OHL that's 2004 eligible. Lacosta is a lanky goaltender, who has mechanically sound butterfly style that makes him tough to beat when he's on. His strengths are his positioning, I hardly ever see him out of positiong, great at squaring up with the shooter. He just doesn't let in many soft goals. Witch at this age is a great thing. The #1 thing a goaltender needs at the next level is quick feet. Dan has it, other goalies rob players with glove saves, he does it with his legs. Not to say he doesnt have a good glove, because he does. He's an all around solid goaltender.
Dan Lacosta is a mechincally sound goaltender who is still raw in his game. The major knock on him is he seems to fail when his team needs him most. Has yet to really steal a game. 4th-7th round in a very deep draft for goaltenders.

X-SHARKIE

Hokay said:
Hi, I was wondering if you had scouting reports of Roman Voloshenko and Sergei Ogorodnikov? I'm just curious of knowing why they're ranked this little high in the European Mid-term ranking.

Hello Hokay sorry for not getting back to you. I've been quite buisy this past few weeks.

Roman Voloshenko is a major project. He's got decent size, about 6-2 195 would be my guess. In the game i've seen of his he was a physical force. He played the body very well. He's a pretty bad skater. He doesnt pass well, stickhandling is solid. The one thing I did love about his game though is his shot. He has a hard and accurate wrist shot with a great slap shot. He wont be able to play in the NHL and mabey even in the AHL if his skating does not improve. He wouldnt even succeed in the CHL IMO. I do not like him. But he has solid size,plays hard and physical, with a great shot. Only seen him once. So don't go crazy with this but I ddint like him. I cant help you out with Sergei.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I like Lacosta. His stock is definilty rising as the season goes on. He's one of the top 3 goalies from the OHL that's 2004 eligible. Lacosta is a lanky goaltender, who has mechanically sound butterfly style that makes him tough to beat when he's on. His strengths are his positioning, I hardly ever see him out of positiong, great at squaring up with the shooter. He just doesn't let in many soft goals. Witch at this age is a great thing. The #1 thing a goaltender needs at the next level is quick feet. Dan has it, other goalies rob players with glove saves, he does it with his legs. Not to say he doesnt have a good glove, because he does. He's an all around solid goaltender.
Dan Lacosta is a mechincally sound goaltender who is still raw in his game. The major knock on him is he seems to fail when his team needs him most. Has yet to really steal a game. 4th-7th round in a very deep draft for goaltenders.

You're telling me!!

But I like your assesment, just haven't hear too much about his prospect value...

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Hello Hokay sorry for not getting back to you. I've been quite buisy this past few weeks.

Roman Voloshenko is a major project. He's got decent size, about 6-2 195 would be my guess. In the game i've seen of his he was a physical force. He played the body very well. He's a pretty bad skater. He doesnt pass well, stickhandling is solid. The one thing I did love about his game though is his shot. He has a hard and accurate wrist shot with a great slap shot. He wont be able to play in the NHL and mabey even in the AHL if his skating does not improve. He wouldnt even succeed in the CHL IMO. I do not like him. But he has solid size,plays hard and physical, with a great shot. Only seen him once. So don't go crazy with this but I ddint like him. I cant help you out with Sergei.

Thanks! :p

And It's very rare to find a russian who skates poorly...

Scooter2

Feb 2, 2004
Bolland

X-SHARKIE said:
With this weeks scouting reports i'm going just for the guys who should be late 2nd rounders-3rd rounders.
Vaclav Meidl 6-4 200 pounds, Plays on the right wing. Playing for Plymouth in the OHL. Vaclav is actually a Czech. First off lets get to the upside on this kid, He's 6-4 200 pounds. Great size. That alone catches your eye. Then you see how fast he can go. With great acceleration and top speed he's a very good skater. His skating and size are his best assests. Two things that highly way into the NHL. He only has average balance though, Just flat out falls somtimes. He has good agility and is dangerous with the puck. He can beat guys with more then just speed. He is a solid puckhandler and passer. Likes to pass more then he shoots. Solid shot but nothing noteworthy. Has somewhat of a physical edge to his game. When he hits he hits hard, he has a temper and took two bad penaltys in one of his games, He can fight as well. A tough to handle prospect, very raw but lots of upside. Has good hockey sense as well, I like his game. Late 2nd rounder. Just a player that's a force simply put, tough to contain with his size, strength, speed, smarts. A bit raw but I like him alot. One of my favroites in the 2004 entry draft.
Adam Berti 6-3/200 Center. Reminds me of the Mike Ricci we saw two years ago. Berti is a safe pick. Probally a 3rd rounder. He's got great size and strength. He's a beast out there. Earns his keep infront of the other teams net. Just goes to the net very hard, once there he was never moved out. Good hand eye cordnation made two nice tips. One ended up in Ehelechners belly, the other just missed wide. Berti is solid defensivly, has great vision and awarness. He can pass the puck well and sets up his linemates. Good wrist shot, didnt use his slap shot. A dump and chase kind of player, great grinder, Could be a third liner in the NHL. Lack of speed and a Nasty edge to his game is the draw backs on him. I also noticed lack of consistancy on in shifts. Good all around player, who may just be a tweener. I only seen him once this year, Caught my eye but I still have my doubts on him. Could be a good 4th liner, possibly making it to the third line.
David Bolland C, 5-11/ 170 I'm puzzled on this guy, I seen him alot because I wanted to see Schremp. I recently noticed him more, But I dont know if he's that good or is it just Schremp making him look good. First off he's a damn good center, He plays good defensivly, helps out alot in his own zone. Somthing I really like. He also dominates the face off circle. He only lost mabey 3 faceoffs i've seen of his. Really good in the face off department. He is a playmaker it seems, likes to pass it alot. Goes to the net hard after the initial shot is taken. But you wont see him screening many goalies. Small guy gets pushed around alot, but doesnt shy away from the physical side of the game, finishes checks and well take a hit to make the play. Uses a long stick and uses it to his advantage, making him have the reech of a 6-1 player using a medium sized stick. Has a good wrist shot, beat a goalie with a beutifull shot. Very acurate. Didnt notice his slap shot.
USHL stand out Joe Fallon G. he is huge, 6-3 and in the Gamblers program it has him listed at 195 pounds. Even for a young kid he's been in the USHL for three seasons now. I saw him last year for the first time, and again this year. He plays a very sound and positionally solid game. Nothing flashy, makes everything look easy and when he's almost impossible to beat. Great agility, Lateral movement is very good, He has very quick feet, Blocker is solid but his bread and butter is his glove. He uses it alot, i mean alot, even when mabey he shouldnt be using it. He sucks up rebounds well, Plays the puck behind the net also very well. The only really knock on him is somtimes a goal well be scored on him and he wont even move! Very confident goalie whose nothing amazing to watch, but is the USHL's version of Patrick Roy. Reminds me of Sharks own goaltender prospect Dimitry Patzold.
If i'm a GM and see him sitting in the third round I would snag him.

Enjoy...any questions on the players please just ask.

Scooter2

Feb 2, 2004
Bolland

Not sure how you can say that Shremp may make Bolland look good, when they very rearely play on the same line.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
One of the most promising 2004 entry draft elgible players IMO is Carl Soderberg from Sweden. A big kid at 6-3, looks to be around 205 pounds, Carl is a budding two way star. He drives hard to the net, if you watched Steve Bernier do this in the Q you could imagine how tough it is for defenders to move Carl out of there. He gets garbage goals, witch every teem likes but he also has a nice shot, He is very smart offensivly. Like Sindel just finds him self in the right place at the right time it seemed. He's a goal scoer as well, he has two wicked shots. His wrist shot is quick and accurate, He simply just snipered one past the goalie in the tape I have, He also has a heavy and accurate slap shot. Both are going to be noticed in the NHL. He plays both speacial team units, he works hard defensivly a player with great defensive awarness. Decent skater for such a big guy, it needs work. He also doesn't pass well and somtimes misses the open man.
A great defensive minded player with great size and awesome offensive skills. Soderberg is a 1st round worthy prospect IMO.

I found it, it was on the very first post I believe, or one of them, on the first page none the less. Enjoy!

What his upside? I think he would pick a great pick from the Montreal Canadiens, doesn't he? Great scouting reports, btw.

Also, can you tell me more about Wojtek Wolski and Adam Pineault?

Last edited:

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Drew Stafford

I enjoy your reports...the more info the better...I just thought I'd jump in with a little disagreement here...I am very high on Drew Stafford...he's got the rare ability to take over a game...great at scoring or setting up his man...even if he never bulks up to be a true power forward I think he has enough other skills to still make a big impact at the NHL level.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Mark Fistric

Kind of surprised to not see his name mentioned. I think he should definetely be included in any top 10 list of defenders. Has not shown as much this year as some would like but he has an excellent upside. I will be surprised if he goes later than #35.

X-SHARKIE

I do like Mark Fistric. His top end potential isnt the greatest though. He is built like a horse! OMG he's strong. He also is one of the best defensman in this draft at handling his own zone. He's a strong player with a hard shot, but lacks offensive awarness and he doesnt have a mean streak even though is game would thrive on it. Skating isnt an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->