Sharkies weekly 2004 Entry draft scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

My TOP 30 for the 2004 NHL entry draft. as of 1-6-04

Well now that the WJC have come and gone, I recieved two tapes two days ago of non WJC action, I have a good feal of the prospects at this point and time. So here is my top 30 of the 2004 Entry draft.

1. Alexander Ovechkin RW
2. Evgeni Malkin C
3. Rostislav Olesz C
4. Cam Barker D
5. Marek Schwarz G
6. Robbie Schremp C
7. Wes O'Neil D
8. Lauri Tukonen RW
9. Wojtek Wolski LW
10. Ladislav Smid D
11. Alvaro Montoya G
12. A.J. Thelen D He does everything good, stock is only this low because he's in the NCAA IMO. People well say he's to high, But i'm absolutely sold on him. One of my guys.
13. Kirill Lyamin D
14. Enver Lisin C/RW
15. Alexandre Picard LW
16. Davan Dubnyk G
17. Lukas Kaspar LW
18. Adam Pineault RW
19. Drew Stafford C/LW
20. Carl Soderberg One of the players I really like alot, one of my guys.
21. Jakub Sindel RW, Ugly season, even uglier at the WJC, has alot of work to do.
22. T.J. Hensick C. Only 5-9, but looks like Sergei Samsonov IMO. I love this prospect. One of my guys.
23. Andrew Ladd LW
24. Kyle Chipchura C
25. Julien Ellis G Underated Goaltender
26. Johannes Salmonsson LW
27. Oscar Hedman D
28. Mike Green D
29. Andrej Meszaros D
30. David Booth Lw
I tryed not to be to much opionated, Example I would take Carl Soderberg over Stafford and Pineault, but since I created this thread to tell you guys more about the prospects, and where they well go, I backed off a bit. Sindel fans i'm sorry but he has looked very poor this season, Even with Sparta he hasn't looked the same. Lots of work to be done with him, How about rying to lift some weights in the weight room Jakub? T.J. Hensick size hurts him, but he doesnt play small, much like Parise is doing, he'll make GM's eat crow after passing over him. Montoya really impressed me with his WJC play but he still has some work to do, He can give up Jicy rebounds, in the NHL he'll be eatin alive if he doesnt fix that. He lacks poise at times, going down way to early, example: If Crosby holds on to the puck a tenth of a second longer he scores the 4th goal for Canada. But his flaws can be fixed. I see him higher then Dubnyk now. This is only my mid season one, I still got two more rankings to do as the season goes on, Hope you enjoy

leafaholix*

Carl Soderberg had a great debut in the Swedish Elite League for MIF.

He scored a goal and added an assist... I think if he sticks with MIF for the rest of the season, he very well may go in the top 3 amongst Swedish eligible players. I don't see him going ahead of Johannes Salmonsson... but it's possible that he'll jump ahead of Johan Fransson and/or Oscar Hedman.

DR. Holiday

X-SHARKIE said:

Well now that the WJC have come and gone, I recieved two tapes two days ago of non WJC action, I have a good feal of the prospects at this point and time. So here is my top 30 of the 2004 Entry draft.

1. Alexander Ovechkin RW
2. Evgeni Malkin C
3. Rostislav Olesz C
4. Cam Barker D
5. Marek Schwarz G
6. Robbie Schremp C
7. Wes O'Neil D
8. Lauri Tukonen RW
9. Wojtek Wolski LW
10. Ladislav Smid D
11. Alvaro Montoya G
12. A.J. Thelen D He does everything good, stock is only this low because he's in the NCAA IMO. People well say he's to high, But i'm absolutely sold on him. One of my guys.
13. Kirill Lyamin D
14. Enver Lisin C/RW
15. Alexandre Picard LW
16. Davan Dubnyk G
17. Lukas Kaspar LW
18. Adam Pineault RW
19. Drew Stafford C/LW
21. Jakub Sindel RW, Ugly season, even uglier at the WJC, has alot of work to do.
22. T.J. Hensick C. Only 5-9, but looks like Sergei Samsonov IMO. I love this prospect. One of my guys.
23. Andrew Ladd LW
24. Kyle Chipchura C
27. Oscar Hedman D
28. Mike Green D
29. Andrej Meszaros D
30. David Booth Lw
I tryed not to be to much opionated, Example I would take Carl Soderberg over Stafford and Pineault, but since I created this thread to tell you guys more about the prospects, and where they well go, I backed off a bit. Sindel fans i'm sorry but he has looked very poor this season, Even with Sparta he hasn't looked the same. Lots of work to be done with him, How about rying to lift some weights in the weight room Jakub? T.J. Hensick size hurts him, but he doesnt play small, much like Parise is doing, he'll make GM's eat crow after passing over him. Montoya really impressed me with his WJC play but he still has some work to do, He can give up Jicy rebounds, in the NHL he'll be eatin alive if he doesnt fix that. He lacks poise at times, going down way to early, example: If Crosby holds on to the puck a tenth of a second longer he scores the 4th goal for Canada. But his flaws can be fixed. I see him higher then Dubnyk now. This is only my mid season one, I still got two more rankings to do as the season goes on, Hope you enjoy

Thanks again the opinion of a guy who sees each player at least 1 time on T.V. is really the best way to get info. Keep up all the insight you have as you travel all around.

X-SHARKIE

DR. Holiday said:
Thanks again the opinion of a guy who sees each player at least 1 time on T.V. is really the best way to get info. Keep up all the insight you have as you travel all around.

I see players across the globe, but I dont travel, I have a friend that does, I know people across the world, I exchange my NHL tapes for there tapes but I never been across the world. Someday that would be nice.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
X-SHARKIE said:
1. Alexander Ovechkin RW
2. Evgeni Malkin C
3. Rostislav Olesz C
4. Cam Barker D
5. Marek Schwarz G
6. Robbie Schremp C
7. Wes O'Neil D
8. Lauri Tukonen RW
9. Wojtek Wolski LW
10. Ladislav Smid D
11. Alvaro Montoya G
13. Kirill Lyamin D
14. Enver Lisin C/RW
15. Alexandre Picard LW
16. Davan Dubnyk G
17. Lukas Kaspar LW
18. Adam Pineault RW
19. Drew Stafford C/LW
23. Andrew Ladd LW
24. Kyle Chipchura C
27. Oscar Hedman D
28. Mike Green D
29. Andrej Meszaros D
30. David Booth Lw

Interesting and suprising, that's what I like of your top 30. GREAT job!

leafaholix*

I don't see those 3 Swedes going ahead of Fransson.

Or maybe the past injury will scare GM's away.

But it sure is nice to see the potential of possibly 4 Swede's going in the top round.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
go pierre hedin said:
But it sure is nice to see the potential of possibly 4 Swede's going in the top round.

I think there are 5 Swedish players that could get drafted in the first round
Johannes Salmonsson
Johan Fransson
Calle Söderberg
Oscar Hedman
Richard Demén-Willaume.

A poor draft year it could actually happen but it seems most countries have pretty strong 86's (especially the european countries) so it is more realistic to believe that 2 Swedish or 3 at most will get drafted in the first round.

Salmonsson is a very good player, has a great attitude and has displayed great work-ethics. The only 86-born forward that is a regular in the SEL. Should be a lock to be drafted in the top 30.

Fransson's stock should be a bit lower since he did opt out of the draft and is older than most guys in the draft. He had a strong WJC-tournament though.. and is playing very well in the SEL so he definitely should have a good shot at the first round.

Oscar Hedman is just having a totally excellent year and has surpassed Demén-Willaume (who was considered the most talented of the two in the past). He is putting up insane numbers for a defenseman of his age in the junior league and now it seems he'll be playing in the SEL with MoDo for the remainder(?) of the season.

Carl Söderberg - had he been stuck with MIF's U20-team the entire season I would not have believed that he could go in the first round. But now he finally has been given a chance in the SEL and taken it. A very dynamic and offensively (strong defensively as well) skilled player.

Demén-Willaume is Frölunda's second best defenseman in the Swedish U20 league (the best one is Alexander Täng, born 1985). Unlike the other players Demén-Willaume will most likely not see any ice-time this season and perhaps not even next season also. The reason is that Frölunda has a very strong team and also the fact that Alexander Täng is older and right now a better defenseman which means he will get a shot at the SEL before D-W.
The fact that he hasn't played against men could hurt his ranking.

X-SHARKIE

Hokay said:
I hope I'm not asking too much, but can you give a scouting report of Carl Soderberg, T.J. Hensick and maybe Julien Ellis.

Thanks. You're really helping me! :yo: :bow:

I believe that I already did Soderberg in one of my profiles, But heres T.J. Hensick and Julien Ellis for you.

T.J. Hensick CCHA 5-9/186 Plays Center Shoots right.

Hensick is lighting it up with the Wolves as a freshman, has been on and off in the lead as the top scorer on the team. I'm a big fan of his, Now yes he's small, but he doesnt play small, He's well built for a little guy and has a strong work ethic I hear in numerous interviews, The comparison between him and Sergei Samsonov is a good one. Hensick has just sick agility and quickness. He is an amazing skater, Not the fastest guy, but he can really jump side to size and get places quick. He well chalenge for the "best hands of the draft". He is an amazing stickhandler, just flat out makes your jaw drop on some of his moves, he can do it all at top speed as well, He is very creative and smart, has excelent vision, he's a great playmaker, he can pass the puck very well, not the hardest of shots, but there pretty accurate, he can gain shot power though with some correct work out programs. He also has a Parise like heart, He does not shy away from the physical aspects of the game, he's not afraid at all. Even with all this going for him he helps out on defense and is agressive on the PK. Overall this kid rocks, he's just small, Very small, Could be another New Jersey Devil steal in the later part of the first round. Overall Hensicks game doesnt have many weaknesses, he could improve his top speed, add a 2nd gear if possible, could work on his slap shot, but size is really the only thing holding him back.

Julien Ellis G 6-0 190 Ellis is a goalie that I really like, Could be the Josh Harding of the draft, were he falls into the 2nd round but the team that takes him well look very smart for doing so. Ellis is a 100% butterfly goalie. 99% of his saves he goes down. He lets in the occasional bad goal, BUT! he's very mentally focues, always talking, and he always plays best after the first goal gets by him. He doesnt give the shooter much net to look at, agressive on the angles and is positionally solid. Fights hard in trafic, and finds the puck well, Getting much respect for his Glove hand, flashes it as fast as anyone in the draft, The glove hand is almost a shut down side, Handles the puck extremely well, makes smart, and good plays that help his teamates. Lateral movements side to side are excelent, almost as good as Fleury in that regard. Was peppered with shots in both games i've seen, rose to the occasion each time, A very agile butterfly goalie, with great positonal play, and lighting quick reflexes, He's everything you could ask for as a goalie prospect,
Would be a steal IMO in the 2nd round.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
That Julien Ellis bio looks for all the world like a Grant Fuhr scouting report might have looked like over 20 years ago.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Could Illia Tarankov (Goalie,Ukraine) actually be drafted in this years draft? He looked decent vs. Canada even though he let in a few soft ones, he made some great saves and the game could have been a lot worse then just 10-0... What do you think X-SHARKIE?

X-SHARKIE

Zherdev said:
Could Illia Tarankov (Goalie,Ukraine) actually be drafted in this years draft? He looked decent vs. Canada even though he let in a few soft ones, he made some great saves and the game could have been a lot worse then just 10-0... What do you think X-SHARKIE?

Now i'll be honest, i'm only going by the game I saw vs Canada. He did make some very good saves and rob Canada of a goal on multiple occasions, but he did let in multiple softies as well. I still don't see him being drafted, IMO I wouldnt take him, although....He has an outside chance, look at how many European goalies who were drafted late came into the NHL and blossumed? Nabakov, Checkmanek, Vokoun, ect.
He was agressive, mabey to agressive, he looked small in the net though, I saw some goals go in that he simply was just to slow to save. I don't think he well get drafted, Theres alot of good high end and low end goalies in the draft. Joe Fallon is a name to remember that well likely go 5th roundish and could be a starter some day.

I also have to give him credit were credit is due, he played hard as heck, and didnt let the goals get him down, he was in a nitemare situation for a goalie, so I shouldnt be so hard on him. He did play pretty dang good on most occasions, Tarankov on say...Finland? I bet he wouldve looked better. I would say look for him to go no earlier then the 7th round though.

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
X-SHARKIE said:
heres T.J. Hensick and Julien Ellis for you.
Thank you very much! :bow: :yo:

X-SHARKIE said:
I believe that I already did Soderberg in one of my profiles

Sorry if you already did it, but I can't find Carl Soderberg's profile. The only thing I have about him was in your Top 30 And it's: "One of the players I really like alot, one of my guys." Maybe you did so much players that you think you did it :dunno: , But I would really appreciate If you'd just give me a profile, please :p.

Thanks in advance. :D

Duff88

May 7, 2002
I also have Thelen rated pretty high. Well not as much as you but I have him around 25-30 (Well the last time I updated my rankings he was 30th but that was before the WJC and there will be some slight changes). He's the 8th best D available IMO, but he's on the rise.

X-SHARKIE

One of the most promising 2004 entry draft elgible players IMO is Carl Soderberg from Sweden. A big kid at 6-3, looks to be around 205 pounds, Carl is a budding two way star. He drives hard to the net, if you watched Steve Bernier do this in the Q you could imagine how tough it is for defenders to move Carl out of there. He gets garbage goals, witch every teem likes but he also has a nice shot, He is very smart offensivly. Like Sindel just finds him self in the right place at the right time it seemed. He's a goal scoer as well, he has two wicked shots. His wrist shot is quick and accurate, He simply just snipered one past the goalie in the tape I have, He also has a heavy and accurate slap shot. Both are going to be noticed in the NHL. He plays both speacial team units, he works hard defensivly a player with great defensive awarness. Decent skater for such a big guy, it needs work. He also doesn't pass well and somtimes misses the open man.
A great defensive minded player with great size and awesome offensive skills. Soderberg is a 1st round worthy prospect IMO.

I found it, it was on the very first post I believe, or one of them, on the first page none the less. Enjoy!

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
Sindel

X-SHARKIE said:

1. Alexander Ovechkin RW
2. Evgeni Malkin C
3. Rostislav Olesz C
4. Cam Barker D
5. Marek Schwarz G
6. Robbie Schremp C
7. Wes O'Neil D
8. Lauri Tukonen RW
9. Wojtek Wolski LW
10. Ladislav Smid D
11. Alvaro Montoya G
13. Kirill Lyamin D
14. Enver Lisin C/RW
15. Alexandre Picard LW
16. Davan Dubnyk G
17. Lukas Kaspar LW
18. Adam Pineault RW
19. Drew Stafford C/LW
23. Andrew Ladd LW
24. Kyle Chipchura C
27. Oscar Hedman D
28. Mike Green D
29. Andrej Meszaros D
30. David Booth Lw

Sindel was one of the best forwards at World U-18 Cup in august and The best scorer of the tournament. Scored five times in two games against Canada. He was awarded as the best forward of the tournament too.
Then he scored once or twice playing as double underager for Czech U-20 team at the tournament in Russia in September and twice at four Nation tournament in Finland. Had big healthy trouble at WJCH and almost didn´t due to being sick(flu).
Scored five goals for Sparta Prague men team(Olesz scored once for Vitkovice and Kaspar thee times).
I don´t think he has ugly season. Of course he is skinny and needs to bulk up as almost every Czech 17 year old prospects. Petr Pohl is even smaller and has even less strength.

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
X-SHARKIE said:
One of the most promising 2004 entry draft elgible players IMO is Carl Soderberg from Sweden. A big kid at 6-3, looks to be around 205 pounds, Carl is a budding two way star. He drives hard to the net, if you watched Steve Bernier do this in the Q you could imagine how tough it is for defenders to move Carl out of there. He gets garbage goals, witch every teem likes but he also has a nice shot, He is very smart offensivly. Like Sindel just finds him self in the right place at the right time it seemed. He's a goal scoer as well, he has two wicked shots. His wrist shot is quick and accurate, He simply just snipered one past the goalie in the tape I have, He also has a heavy and accurate slap shot. Both are going to be noticed in the NHL. He plays both speacial team units, he works hard defensivly a player with great defensive awarness. Decent skater for such a big guy, it needs work. He also doesn't pass well and somtimes misses the open man.
A great defensive minded player with great size and awesome offensive skills. Soderberg is a 1st round worthy prospect IMO.

I found it, it was on the very first post I believe, or one of them, on the first page none the less. Enjoy!

THANKS! :yo:

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Hey Sharkie, once again nice job. My question is with Malkin. I've been intrigued with him for some strange reason ever since I heard of him (I really hope the Caps can nab him....their luck will never let them get Ovechkin), but everytime I think of him the name Viktor Kozlov pops in my head....am I way off here or what? I've never even seen the kid play and I'm sure it's just the fact that they're both big russian centers but I'd like to know if you can put to rest this stupid association with Kozlov I have (cause I certainly don't want the Caps using what is hopefully their last top 3 pick on someone like him). Also what do you think of his goal scoring....I know he's an excellent playmaker but do you see him putting in 30-35 goals a season?

Anyone else who mighta seen him play please throw in your opinion.

Thanx

X-SHARKIE

Hello B-Mad, sorry I didn't reply sooner, i've had two hockey games and I've scouted the Badgers and a USHL game over the past two days.

Malkin, Definitly somone you want on your team, He's the #2 rated prospect for the 2004 entry draft in my mind. Malkin is known more as of a playmaker type, and showed nothing to erase that at the WJC far as i've seen. I'm very high on Malkin, I think that in most drafts he could be #1 overall, but with Ovechkin there it aint going to happen.
Malkin is huge, 6-3, 210? should fill out around 225. Now I have not watched Kozlov alot this seasonk but what i've seen I did like. Malkin has much better patience with the puck and he using his linemates more, He does create space for his linemates and hits well just like Kozlov, I think he skates better then Kozlov to.
Malkin and Kozlov share some similarities but dont let that push you off the Malkin bandwagon, Malkin has very good hands but could work on his shot, It's adaquet but I would like him to work on his accuracy and power. He won't snipe many shots past a NHL level goalie,
Malkin plays great defensivlyh as well, very well rounded game, Safe pick with lots of upside.
Malkin well put in 30 goals as a high down the road, but he's the type of player that makes people around him better. I see Malkin as a 25 G 50 A kind of player. He could hit the 30-35 range though.
As a Caps fan you should be very happy next year if you land him in the draft. Down the road with players like him and Fehr,Semin,Johansson,Gordon,Sutherby, Nepriayev, ect and Ouelette in goal, mabey the caps well take another defensman like Barker to go along with Eminger and Yonkman?
Either way Malkin,Ovechkin,Olesz. Any team who lands one of those could be looking at the franchise guy. Back to the Kozlov comparison, some comparison in that is true, but I think Malkin well put up a much better career.

Dr_Chimera*

X-SHARKIE said:
Hello B-Mad, sorry I didn't reply sooner, i've had two hockey games and I've scouted the Badgers and a USHL game over the past two days.

Malkin, Definitly somone you want on your team, He's the #2 rated prospect for the 2004 entry draft in my mind. Malkin is known more as of a playmaker type, and showed nothing to erase that at the WJC far as i've seen. I'm very high on Malkin, I think that in most drafts he could be #1 overall, but with Ovechkin there it aint going to happen.
Malkin is huge, 6-3, 210? should fill out around 225. .

Malkin is lanky (haven't noticed?). Some list him at 180, some round him off at 200 - he's somewhere in between. 225 is probably pushing it.

X-SHARKIE

Dr_Chimera said:
Malkin is lanky (haven't noticed?). Some list him at 180, some round him off at 200 - he's somewhere in between. 225 is probably pushing it.

Yea he is pretty lanky, he looks like Eric Staal out there, but Malkin plays a more physical game, he has been said to have a good work ethic, so mabey he well hit the waites hard and top out at 220-225, it's possible. I thought he might be 200-210 already because at the WJC expeacially, he was throwing some nice hits and pushing some guys around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad