TSN: Seravelli: VGK offered Fleury + 2nd league wide, with no takers

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
I'm sure the league isn't looking to do McPhee/McCrimmon any favours after bending so many GM's over in trades during expansion. Probably a lot of jealousy involved too since VGK became a cup contender so quickly.
if i were a team i would not do them any favors. they are smacked right up against the cap, unless i'm getting a sweetheart deal i'd tell them to figure it out. but what do i know

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You honestly think that the few teams that have cap space are interested in sucking up $6.5M of it to add Paul Stastny without acquiring an asset? :laugh:
Ok, this “mad sweeteners or death” stuff is getting out of hand because if you think there aren’t any teams that will take Stastny on a one year deal for free then you’re underestimating the value of centers. If he was signed for more than a year it would be a different story and Vegas can retain a little salary on him since his cap hit is 6.5m to make his 5.5m salary go down a little.

Fleury is older and is signed for two years with bigger cap hit/salary. And is a goalie.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Marc Staal had 1? Year left, 5~M and got a 2nd. You'll need to add more than a 2nd lmao

The flipside to this is that Fleury at worst is still a 1B, though I'd argue he is a starter on quite a few teams in the league

Staal on the other hand...

I say this as a Wings fan

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ok, this “mad sweeteners or death” stuff is getting out of hand because if you think there aren’t any teams that will take Stastny on a one year deal for free then you’re underestimating the value of centers. If he was signed for more than a year it would be a different story and Vegas can retain a little salary on him since his cap hit is 6.5m to make his 5.5m salary go down a little.

Fleury is older and is signed for two years with bigger cap hit/salary. And is a goalie.

I'm curious how many teams you think have $6.5M to blow. :laugh:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
They just need one.

Newsflash, if there's only one, that one is going to exploit them.

Let me answer the question, since you didn't. There are very few teams that actually have the cap space to do that. Most of those teams suck, so on top of the fact that they'd have to make it through his 10 team list, they aren't interested in taking on $6.5M without acquiring a pick, because they suck and he's of no help to them.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
2 yrs of $7M space for a late 2nd doesn’t do it when Carolina got a 1st for 1 yr.
What I'm about to say needs to be stickied

Marleau was in a unique situation, being a 35+ contract and a guy who was unwilling to play in Carolina. They would be on the hook for the full cap hit plus over $4.5m in real dollars. Not many teams would or could do that. Toronto was handcuffed. Fleury, if bought out, would be much more manageable for two years (~2.5m then ~3m).

Marleau does NOT set the market for dumping cap. Not even close

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Seems like they're gonna have to retain $2M or so but if/when they do, you'd think there would be some takers. Washington? Pitt? Minnesota? SJ? Carolina?

Reactions: Morrison

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
If Vegas wants to get serious about dumping him Detroit will take him for VGK 1st + Hague

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

"A lot of teams are interested at 4 or 5" certainly doesn't sound like it's going to cost Vegas a guy like Glass or Krebs. If that quote is true it's going to end up being something like the '21 NJ 2nd to a team that is willing to retain 2.5 and then send Fleury to his final destination.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
First of all, Kelly McCrimmon is the Vegas GM.
Second of all, Vegas has done a masterful job of being a perennial contender as an expansion team.
More like they overachieved in their first year. And then he went all in signing a lot of very good, aging players to questionable contracts.

They're pretenders and soon they'll be in caphell.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
Newsflash, if there's only one, that one is going to exploit them.

Let me answer the question, since you didn't. There are very few teams that actually have the cap space to do that. Most of those teams suck, so on top of the fact that they'd have to make it through his 10 team list, they aren't interested in taking on $6.5M without acquiring a pick, because they suck and he's of no help to them.

Yeah, not only that but the teams that might be contending that have the cap space to blow probably aren't looking to spend it at the beginning of the season. A contender is going to look at what they might need leading up to the deadline and spend the money where it will count. Someone would for sure bite at a cheap Statsny at the deadline to make a run, but if they bite now, they lose the ability to make later moves. Vegas is in a bad sitch, probably gonna take a first or a good prospect to give them the flexibility they need to big game hunt. Realistically, moving Statsny does nothing until and unless you move MAF - can't have 12mm tied up in goalies in a flat cap and hope to add someone like Petro.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
If 1 year of Marleau costs a 1st, 2 years for Fluery needs to cost a 1st or equivalent prospect

Probably also worth noting that Marleau cost a 1st at a time when the league with economically healthier

MAF is on the market now when there is no cap growth, rumors of internal caps everywhere and a market flooded with good goalies (UFA / trade)

Will cost a 1st +++ to move that deal

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What I'm about to say needs to be stickied

Marleau was in a unique situation, being a 35+ contract and a guy who was unwilling to play in Carolina. They would be on the hook for the full cap hit plus over $4.5m in real dollars. Not many teams would or could do that. Toronto was handcuffed. Fleury, if bought out, would be much more manageable for two years (~2.5m then ~3m).

Marleau does NOT set the market for dumping cap. Not even close

Marleau isn’t unique. 35+ doesn’t matter. Toronto needed cap space and couldn’t buy him out even if it wasn’t the 35+ cap rules. They needed to trade him. Carolina agreed to buy him out. They didn’t have to do that.

One yearcsp hit when you have space than 4 yrs of $3M+ of space.

An equivalent this year would be Stephan in AZ where he has high bonus and low salary so easy acquire and buy our for teams taking a cap hit this year

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Marleau isn’t unique. 35+ doesn’t matter. Toronto needed cap space and couldn’t buy him out even if it wasn’t the 35+ cap rules. They needed to trade him. Carolina agreed to buy him out. They didn’t have to do that.

One yearcsp hit when you have space than 4 yrs of $3M+ of space.

An equivalent this year would be Stephan in AZ where he has high bonus and low salary so easy acquire and buy our for teams taking a cap hit this year

Actually they did. Marleau had a full NTC and wasn't going to waive it if they didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00