TSN: Seravelli: VGK offered Fleury + 2nd league wide, with no takers

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Alright, came up with one. This assumes that Vegas is, truly looking for a RHD and Pietrangelo is going elsewhere:

1. Vegas - Zaistzev + Nilsson
2. Sens - Andersen + Picks + Retains 50% of Fleury
3. Leafs - Fleury at 3.5M

Leafs - Save 1.5M in cap, get a better goalie for 2 years, and only have to give up picks.

Sens - Goes from spending 6.5M on Nilsson and Zaistev to 4M on Andersen and Fleury retention. They also get picks and budget room to go shopping to replace Zaitsev and get out from under the extra years he had

Vegas - Gets a solid, if unspectacular, RHD and a replacement backup for a guy they were going to have to pay a 2nd to give away. Actually improves their cap position.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Now that Dubnyk is gone, predict that Geurin is in on this. Time line works out perfectly, Fleury and Guerin are buds, Fleury should be good going to a team with great D, Wild have just cleared over 6M in cap space. Having said all that, cap space is very valuable this year, and MN can't give it away. Vegas has to either retain, or give something better than a second coming back.

I am skeptical that Fleury would waive to go to Minnesota. I definitely wouldn't say it's impossible, but I don't feel like a guy of his age would want to go to a retooling team like that.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Their D is great, and if he looks at the analytics even at all he will realize that he has a chance to look like a hero behind them. They also have a young star in Fiala, and the potential for another in Kaprizov. I think a lot depends on how well he trusts Guerin, and what other options he has.

I am not thrilled with the thought of getting him. A 35 yo goalie who's agent tweets divisive things in the middle of a playoff series, and who is paid 7m per? Nah, I'm good.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
More interesting to me is RNH asking for $8...wow. He is not worth that at all.

8 million for a player that couldn’t hit 60 points unless he’s stapled to Mcdavid or Draisaitl?? RNH is a valuable player but he’s a complimentary player and if he’s a teams 1C then expect that team to be a lottery team.

6.5-7 is more in range for what he’s worth. He is a valuable Oiler because of his versatility but I doubt any team pays him more then 7 knowing that he’s really just a good 2C or complimentary winger.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
And Detroit or Ottawa would be the perfect teams to do that, Seeing that both teams have so much cap space to retain 1-2m on Marc Andre-Fleury for one or two 2nds.
Except i dont think melnyk would allow to eat salary for more picks which is what would happen if a team had to flip fleury

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
On what planet is a 36yo capable 1b goaltender comparable to a 40yo with a full NMC that has regressed to being a slow bottom 6 guy that can't produce with some of the best PP talent in the league and only wanted to play for 1 team?
I assumed people are comparing Hurricanes buying out Marleau to a third team retaining salary so the players don’t matter. It does matter quite a bit how much salary that team is potentially asked to retain before we can exactly compare it to that deal.

Vegas could retain some salary and then another team could do the same rather than Vegas sacrificing multiple high end futures to get someone else to set 6.5m dollars on fire in this economy. GMs won’t be petty just because they are eager to watch Vegas squirm. The Marleau deal felt a little extravagant even in pre-plague times for most teams. It was something I’d love for my team to do because it’s not my money but I get why they didn’t. It’s likely going to take a while for Vegas to creatively work this out, it’s not exactly shocking the 2nd didn’t get it done but the picks are in next years draft so there’s no immediate rush. So sit back and enjoy the ridiculous proposals involving Vegas’ top prospects plus a 1st plus plus.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Except i dont think melnyk would allow to eat salary for more picks which is what would happen if a team had to flip fleury
Normally, yes, but if you really dig into it, it is possible for Ottawa to retain, you just have to be clever about ti so you don't add salary. If you look above, I did post a trade where Ottawa saves money while retaining on Fleury.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I can’t believe they would even try to offer this with a serious face. Most teams wouldn’t do it for their first.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If Detroit wants to nab another asset they should retain some salary on Fluery as a 3rd team. Fleury at 3.5 is still a solid player.

Vegas: Future Consideration

Detroit: 2021 2nd (VGK), 2021 2nd (3rd team), 3.500M retention for two seasons

3rd Team: MAF @ 3.500

Vegas and the third team split the bill. Vegas is out cap free, Detroit gets two picks, 3rd team gets a starter for a 2nd, Fleury gets a free start

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Alright, came up with one. This assumes that Vegas is, truly looking for a RHD and Pietrangelo is going elsewhere:

Leafs - Save 1.5M in cap, get a better goalie for 2 years, and only have to give up picks.
Uh, are you sure that is what you are describing?

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Sens - Goes from spending 6.5M on Nilsson and Zaistev to 4M on Andersen and Fleury retention. They also get picks and budget room to go shopping to replace Zaitsev and get out from under the extra years he had

Vegas - Gets a solid, if unspectacular, RHD and a replacement backup for a guy they were going to have to pay a 2nd to give away. Actually improves their cap position.
Shoulda just stopped at “ottawa retains 50% of fleury salary”.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Detroit wants to nab another asset they should retain some salary on Fluery as a 3rd team. Fleury at 3.5 is still a solid player.

Vegas: Future Consideration

Detroit: 2021 2nd (VGK), 2021 2nd (3rd team), 3.500M retention for two seasons

3rd Team: MAF @ 3.500

Vegas and the third team split the bill. Vegas is out cap free, Detroit gets two picks, 3rd team gets a starter for a 2nd, Fleury gets a free start

The third team isn't splitting anything. Vegas is footing a majority of the bill for clearing 7M in cap for the next two seasons.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Took marleau a 1st to move him for 1 year.

Imagine for Fleury 2 years. a 2nd lol.

People really need to stop bringing up the Marleau trade. It took a 1st for a team to eat his entire cap hit, buy him out and get no use out of him. That is nothing like any cap dump scenario in which a team actually has a use for a player.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Depsite the saving, I think the Leafs lose that deal. FA is a better goalie that Fleury. Can't see Fleury playing 55-60 games next season.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Uh, are you sure that is what you are describing?
You think Andersen is better than Fleury? Put it in a poll if you disagree, I'd love to see the consensus opinion on the subject.

In this prospective trade, Fleury also has the advantage of saving 1.5M next season and being signed for an additional season at 3.5M, something the Leafs won't be able to do with Andersen without more money or a long-term commitment which will leave them with other issues.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
People really need to stop bringing up the Marleau trade. It took a 1st for a team to eat his entire cap hit, buy him out and get no use out of him. That is nothing like any cap dump scenario in which a team actually has a use for a player.
Good luck moving a goalie that have been struggling alot lately with 2 more years at 7m while we are in a covid cap hell and that this year market is full of goalies that are gonna be paid less because of the covid cap. No way in hell they trade him for just an useless late 2nd pick.

Even at 50% hes still a first pick due to covid.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Good luck moving a goalie that have been struggling alot lately with 2 more years at 7m while we are in a covid cap hell and that this year market is full of goalies that are gonna be paid less because of the covid cap. No way in hell they trade him for just an useless late 2nd pick.

Even at 50% hes still a first pick due to covid.

At 3.5 for 2 years he's better than every single free agent goalie not named Markstrom. It's probably going to be a deal where Vegas pays a team the NJ 2nd to eat 2.5-3.5 and then send him to a team that wants him like Minnesota.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
At 3.5 for 2 years he's better than every single free agent goalie not named Markstrom. It's probably going to be a deal where Vegas pays a team the NJ 2nd to eat 2.5-3.5 and then send him to a team that wants him like Minnesota.

i still think your going to be paying more than a 2nd to get a team to eat that much cap in this situation unless you have the team that’s bringing him in (in this case minnesota) also paying and asset to the 3rd team. A team like Detroit may take 2 2nd’s to eat half of fleury’s contract but they also may ask for a good prospect/ a 1st instead

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

Carolina wanted Marleau to play for them and tried to talk him into it. He only wanted to play for SJ.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
i still think your going to be paying more than a 2nd to get a team to eat that much cap in this situation unless you have the team that’s bringing him in (in this case minnesota) also paying and asset to the 3rd team. A team like Detroit may take 2 2nd’s to eat half of fleury’s contract but they also may ask for a good prospect/ a 1st instead

According to Seravelli there would be lots of interest in MAF at 4 or 5 so it may not even require a team like Detroit retaining the full 50%. 2.5 on MAF would be 5m in real money. Staal cost a 2nd for 3.2m in real money. By that comparison I'd say it would be somewhere in the range of a 2nd and 3rd/4th? Then the team that gets Fleury would also give up a late round pick.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You think Andersen is better than Fleury? Put it in a poll if you disagree, I'd love to see the consensus opinion on the subject.

In this prospective trade, Fleury also has the advantage of saving 1.5M next season and being signed for an additional season at 3.5M, something the Leafs won't be able to do with Andersen without more money or a long-term commitment which will leave them with other issues.
I believe a goalie who’s turning 36 in November coming off a down year is a risky investment on a two year deal. It’s really about age and risk rather than past glories, I’m a fan of Fleury and generally very pro-goalie. I come in peace, sorry if I came off snarky.

Pekka Rinne won the Vezina in 2017-18 at 35 and signed a two year extension in Nov 2018. Last season, the first year of the deal, was Rinne’s worst in 12 years as a starter. I can’t fault Nashville for extending him, with the Vezina and their defense, but the age curve eventually claims all goalies. Life’s unpredictable, I know Rinne has had a very up and down career and might pop up for another random great year and then flounder again but he’s going to 38 in November and the age curve is a cliff.

Fleury may have another good year, perhaps two. I’m rooting for him and I’m not pretending to be a goalie Nostradamus here but the Leafs may want a surer thing. He’s better than some of the other available goalies floating around but not Anderson unless his down year is signaling a decline as well.

Reactions: Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad