TSN: Seravelli: VGK offered Fleury + 2nd league wide, with no takers

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
To me, Detroit & Ottawa seem like ideal destinations.... both teams without a veteran goalie... both could likely use the stability of one, and absolutely no cap concerns. The challenge of course is -- I'm sure both are on his no-trade list, and I'm also sure that neither team wants to pay him $6m when they could go out and get a Corey Crawford or whoever at a fraction of the cost.

That being said, I think if Vegas retains the ~30% of his salary required to bring his cap hit down to $5m, it should open up the market a lot more. I can see quite a few (reasonably good) teams interested.

Challenge of course is -- the $2m in savings that Vegas was looking at by going from Fleury to Lehner was likely earmarked for a shot at Alex Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Team Cozens

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
My guess is that the "losers" in goalie free agency wind up calling VGK to hammer out a deal for Fleury.

issue with that is that it keeps vegas out of the big fish market in FA, so the question is who blinks first

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
To me, Detroit & Ottawa seem like ideal destinations.... both teams without a veteran goalie... both could likely use the stability of one, and absolutely no cap concerns. The challenge of course is -- I'm sure both are on his no-trade list, and I'm also sure that neither team wants to pay him $6m when they could go out and get a Corey Crawford or whoever at a fraction of the cost.

That being said, I think if Vegas retains the ~30% of his salary required to bring his cap hit down to $5m, it should open up the market a lot more. I can see quite a few (reasonably good) teams interested.

Challenge of course is -- the $2m in savings that Vegas was looking at by going from Fleury to Lehner was likely earmarked for a shot at Alex Pietrangelo.

I doubt Melnyk pays $12.5M for Fleury.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

That being said, I think if Vegas retains the ~30% of his salary required to bring his cap hit down to $5m, it should open up the market a lot more. I can see quite a few (reasonably good) teams

this is why I think wings retaining 50% would get them a heck of an asset like a 1st + fleury has value at 50% to help offset what they would be giving the wings. And because Vegas is hard after petro time is an issue and Detroit has the leverage on this one.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Vegas is an aging core. They should go fir it now, while those core guys are still able to play at a top level. Dump MAF with picks + prospects needed to not retain. Then sign Pietrangelo too. No point in being close to a Cup, and never really going all in the get one.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Vegas has so few options outside of picks due to being a recent expansion team. They only have 10 players unsigned players on their reserve list (teams usually have up to 40).

Maybe next year's 1st and Hague does it?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It'd be kinda fun to get a 1st, Glass, or Krebs, and then turn around and retain on Fleury to flip him for a 2nd.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'm sure the league isn't looking to do McPhee/McCrimmon any favours after bending so many GM's over in trades during expansion. Probably a lot of jealousy involved too since VGK became a cup contender so quickly.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Is this with salary retained or no salary retained? I'm not surprised a 2nd wouldn't cut it with no salary retained, but that's surprising if that's also with Vegas eating money.

I think Vegas buying out Fleury is the most likely outcome here. It's the one I want because I want the Penguins to sign him for cheap :laugh:

I'm assuming they floated him out there with no salary retention initially to see if there were any bites. You'd have to think Fleury at 3.5 - 5M would be pretty enticing to teams. The guy can still play.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
How would Vegas an Carolina feel about this:

to Carolina: fleury at 50% retained

to Detroit: 50 % retention on Fleury + Carolina 2nd round pick + Glass

to Vegas: nothing

Fleury at $3.5 million is not worth a 2nd round pick. That is his market value if he was bought out and went to Free Agency. Carolina's pick would be a 5th or 6th rounder.

I doubt Vegas will pay Glass to dump Fleury either.

Reactions: DaveG

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I wouldn't take him at his full cap hit for a 2nd, either.

If he was retained down to like 5,then sure. VGK is in a bind now with Lehner under contract. Could get ugly soon.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
but buying him out may take them out of the petro sweepstakes. Would you trade glass for petro that’s the real question

No, that is not the real question :laugh:

Vegas can clear $2.5 million in cap space elsewhere if they need that money for Pietrangelo. Trading Glass to get out of Fleury's deal is an absurd ask. They can get all of the cap space they need by buying out Fleury and trading McNabb or Martinez, which would be dramatically less costly than adding Glass to get out of Fleury's deal.

It probably even make sense to trade Martinez if they sign Pietrangelo, that would leave the Knights with a defense something like:

Schmidt-Pietrangelo
McNabb-Theodore
Holden-Whitecloud

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, kinda the whole point is to get rid of him so they can clear space for Pietro.

They can do that without dumping Glass.

1. Buyout Fleury, saves you $4.5 million for this year
2. Trade Martinez, saves you $4 million for this year

That probably gets them the money that Pietrangelo is going to get. If that's not enough, they can also look at trading someone like Stastny. None of those involve giving up Glass to get out of Fleury's deal.

Reactions: Guttersniped

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
LOL, for those suggesting Ottawa take him

He is exactly the opposite of what Ottawa wants. Expensive, and old.

He will NOT be an Ottawa Senator next season. That i can tell you. I can also say that he will not be traded from the Sens with retention for a draft pick.

Absolutely bonkers some of you are.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad