TSN: Seravelli: VGK offered Fleury + 2nd league wide, with no takers

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Just to be clear, if this is true then Vegas either offered their own 2021 2nd or the NJ Devils 2021 2nd because they don’t have a 2nd in the 2020 draft. Since he won’t likely get traded before free agency it probably won’t matter that much.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Can they buy him out
They could rationalize that basically the bargain they got on Lehner's contract + buyout hit on Fleury is basically what they were going to pay for a #1 goalie anyway --- whether it was the original plan on Fleury or the $7M+ that Lehner probably should have gotten. :dunno:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Think they would be paying at least #29 to dump Fleury's whole deal. That Cap hit is pretty heinous for even a mid-level starter. Especially with a flat cap.

Maybe Vegas can get a 3rd party to retain money but they may have trouble finding an owner willing to shell out millions for a draft pick in these times. Dundon and the Canes bought a 1st for $4.6 million last year but that was pre-COVID.
During healthy financial times the Leafs had to give up 13OA to dump just one year of Marleau at 6 million.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
During healthy financial times the Leafs had to give up 13OA to dump just one year of Marleau at 6 million.

That's because Marleau wasn't going to play for the Canes, they give up the 1st because Carolina was just going to buy him out.

I agree though, it should take a 1st, maybe more, to get a team to retain half, or take on his full hit.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Think they would be paying at least #29 to dump Fleury's whole deal. That Cap hit is pretty heinous for even a mid-level starter. Especially with a flat cap.

Maybe Vegas can get a 3rd party to retain money but they may have trouble finding an owner willing to shell out millions for a draft pick in these times. Dundon and the Canes bought a 1st for $4.6 million last year but that was pre-COVID.
Carolina actually paid Marleau his 3m signing bonus and a buy out payment of 833k split over two years.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
My guess is that the "losers" in goalie free agency wind up calling VGK to hammer out a deal for Fleury.

There's so many goalie out there and pretty much all of them are younger than Fleury , will be cheaper and more than likely better than very soon 36 year old MAF . I'm not sure there will be a team that loses . More likely a couple of ok-ish goalies will be without spots.

Its the same boat the Rangers had been in . Nobody is taking a really expensive and old goalie . MAF's contract is not even expiring.

Reactions: DaveG

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I actually think 25% retained is where they need to be. That plus Lehner's 5 is less than the 7 cap hit Fleury would have been if my math is right. Fleury at 2 years at a little more than 5 is tradable.
I’m more so looking at a 3 way trade where the wings retain 50% and receive an asset from Vegas than whatever team he is actually going to pays a small asset to Vegas for fleury at 50%

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I thought Vegas didn't have any 2nd rounders this year or next?

"The Los Angeles Kings received the Vegas Golden Knights 2020 and 2021 2nd round picks for Alec Martinez."

According to Capfriendly, they don't have this years, but they have next year's 2nd. They have NJD's 2021 2nd also.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
That second year is hard to dump for only one second. Maybe two seconds is the right amount of sweetener; one for each year?
more like a second and a first.

currently he looks still playable. but he will turn 37 early in the last year of his contract and might be completely toast. the second year will definitely cost more than the first, as there is so much more uncertainty and therefore risk attached to it.

Reactions: Luckylarry

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
My guess is that the "losers" in goalie free agency wind up calling VGK to hammer out a deal for Fleury.

The goalie market is very crowded right now. I'm sure Fleury would have suitors in free agency if Vegas bought him out, but I can't see anyone wanting him on his current contract.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3