TSN: Seravelli: VGK offered Fleury + 2nd league wide, with no takers

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
You’ll hear it first here.. Fleury buyout then signs with Pitt for 2 years at 2.5-3m per.. not a fan boy, but that’s just what GMJR does

Reactions: Morrison

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
You’ll hear it first here.. Fleury buyout then signs with Pitt for 2 years at 2.5-3m per.. not a fan boy, but that’s just what GMJR does

Would you not be happy about that? That'd be a nice deal for Pitt imo even with DeSmith signed. I think contenders are gonna want to have 3 goalies next year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Now that Dubnyk is gone, predict that Geurin is in on this. Time line works out perfectly, Fleury and Guerin are buds, Fleury should be good going to a team with great D, Wild have just cleared over 6M in cap space. Having said all that, cap space is very valuable this year, and MN can't give it away. Vegas has to either retain, or give something better than a second coming back.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
If they don't want to retain salary then a buyout won't happen either. They should just have Detroit or someone eat half his salary and take a bad contract from MAFs final destination too. They could split the cost of the salary retension and free up enough space from the destination team to fit MAF in. They are going to have to pay a premium IMO. It might not be Glass or Krebs but it won't be far off that.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What I'm about to say needs to be stickied

Marleau was in a unique situation, being a 35+ contract and a guy who was unwilling to play in Carolina. They would be on the hook for the full cap hit plus over $4.5m in real dollars. Not many teams would or could do that. Toronto was handcuffed. Fleury, if bought out, would be much more manageable for two years (~2.5m then ~3m).

Marleau does NOT set the market for dumping cap. Not even close
You should put in the sticky that the Hurricanes paid Marleau 3.83m because that was actual dollar cost. You’re right about the cap hit and that’s obviously why Toronto had to bribe someone to buy him out.

Since Marleau signed his contract after the age of 35, the Hurricanes will still absorb his full cap hit, paying him his $3 million signing bonus now and dividing his $833,333 salary over the next two seasons. He will not count against the team's cap in 2020-21.

Carolina Hurricanes buy out Patrick Marleau - TSN.ca

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Marleau isn’t unique. 35+ doesn’t matter. Toronto needed cap space and couldn’t buy him out even if it wasn’t the 35+ cap rules. They needed to trade him. Carolina agreed to buy him out. They didn’t have to do that.

One yearcsp hit when you have space than 4 yrs of $3M+ of space.

An equivalent this year would be Stephan in AZ where he has high bonus and low salary so easy acquire and buy our for teams taking a cap hit this year
It mattered outside of Toronto is what I was getting at. Whoever took him was taking on the full hit. That's where the value of the 1st came in.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I imagine Fleury would waive his 10 team no trade list if the team getting him wanted him as a starter. The guy is still a top 30 goalie in the league.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Just give up the first, you know you’ll have to do it. If they can move out 7 million if salary without taking any back, it’s honestly a cup winning move.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
As stated before, Marleau cost a 1st for one year of a 6.25 cap hit and about 3.85m in real money for one year. Fleury is trash and will cost at least that seeing as he has an extra year and well, covid.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
As stated before, Marleau cost a 1st for one year of a 6.25 cap hit and about 3.85m in real money for one year. Fleury is trash and will cost at least that seeing as he has an extra year and well, covid.

On what planet is a 36yo capable 1b goaltender comparable to a 40yo with a full NMC that has regressed to being a slow bottom 6 guy that can't produce with some of the best PP talent in the league and only wanted to play for 1 team?

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I dont buy it because the Coyotes would absolutely take it. We want picks. Take Fleury, get a 2nd, drive up demand for Kuemper and move Kuemper for more picks.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
On what planet is a 36yo capable 1b goaltender comparable to a 40yo with a full NMC that has regressed to being a slow bottom 6 guy that can't produce with some of the best PP talent in the league and only wanted to play for 1 team?

well they may not be totally comparable but one player had 1 year on his contract and the other has 2 at a higher cap hit during a pandemic with a flat cap. Looking at it Vegas would have to give up what Toronto did and possibly even more to move that cap hit even though fleury is the better player

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
More interesting to me is RNH asking for $8...wow. He is not worth that at all.

Doubt he's actually expecting to get that from anyone, there's always some room for negotiation in these early pitches. However, if Kevin Hayes and Evander Kane can get $50M deals (not to mention that Jeff Skinner albatross) I don't see why RNH wouldn't. He should be at least worth $7M per.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
well they may not be totally comparable but one player had 1 year on his contract and the other has 2 at a higher cap hit during a pandemic with a flat cap. Looking at it Vegas would have to give up what Toronto did and possibly even more to move that cap hit even though fleury is the better player

Vegas has several options, including a 3rd team to retain salary or retaining salary themselves. At least a couple teams would take MAF at 4-5m, and unlike Marleau, he might be convinced to waive for any team that will give him the majority of starts. I'm sure when they told Captain Photoshop there were no takers for MAF+2nd they revised their no-trade priorities.

They're also trying to gear up to sign the premier UFA on Oct 9th after getting a new #1G for 5m. Toronto was desperately trying to free up cap to sign their own overpaid RFA. Not even remotely comparable situations.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
At this point they both suck. Twist it how you want, but both are garbage and the second year at 7m in a flat cap negates any argument you have about Marleau. PM cost nothing but cash, MAF will cost his team more cash, for longer and will be a liability on the ice. you tell me what’s worse

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
At this point they both suck. Twist it how you want, but both are garbage and the second year at 7m in a flat cap negates any argument you have about Marleau

Yeah top 5 in Vezina voting 2 of the last 3 seasons sucks. Sucks like a fox.

You should have more appreciation for MAF. He got Babcock canned with a beautiful save...

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Vegas has several options, including a 3rd team to retain salary or retaining salary themselves. At least a couple teams would take MAF at 4-5m, and unlike Marleau, he might be convinced to waive for any team that will give him the majority of starts. I'm sure when they told Captain Photoshop there were no takers for MAF+2nd they revised their no-trade priorities.

They're also trying to gear up to sign the premier UFA on Oct 9th after getting a new #1G for 5m. Toronto was desperately trying to free up cap to sign their own overpaid RFA. Not even remotely comparable situations.

yes Vegas can get a 3rd team involved but if they want petro I don’t see them being able to retain any of that contract. The third team is gonna ask for a 1st to retain 50% on fleury. Your gonna have a tough time moving him to teams who have cap space because those are the bottom feeders who fleury isn’t going to want to go to. You can make moves elsewhere but that’s going to weaken the team which hurts its cup chances. I don’t see Vegas getting petro without moving all of Fleury’s cap and giving up a 1st or more

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
yes Vegas can get a 3rd team involved but if they want petro I don’t see them being able to retain any of that contract. The third team is gonna ask for a 1st to retain 50% on fleury. Your gonna have a tough time moving him to teams who have cap space because those are the bottom feeders who fleury isn’t going to want to go to. You can make moves elsewhere but that’s going to weaken the team which hurts its cup chances. I don’t see Vegas getting petro without moving all of Fleury’s cap and giving up a 1st or more

Pietrangelo is still a Blue and may remain a Blue so any talk of spending a 1st to free up cap for him is purely hypothetical until Friday.

If they want to move him before then, well I look at the Wild with Flower's old SC winning teammate Bill Guerin, and the moves he's made, and they're not hard up for $ or cap space. I think he might take Flower at 5.5m with a little sweetener. So that only leaves 1.5m to be taken by a 3rd team. Staal (whether his 5.7m cap sticks or gets bought out for over 3m) only cost a 2nd to move.

So the question is do they do it now and if so for how much, or do they wait until Friday and risk Minnesota signing a UFA goalie?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Pietrangelo is still a Blue and may remain a Blue so any talk of spending a 1st to free up cap for him is purely hypothetical until Friday.

If they want to move him before then, well I look at the Wild with Flower's old SC winning teammate Bill Guerin, and the moves he's made, and they're not hard up for $ or cap space. I think he might take Flower at 5.5m with a little sweetener. So that only leaves 1.5m to be taken by a 3rd team. Staal (whether his 5.7m cap sticks or gets bought out for over 3m) only cost a 2nd to move.

So the question is do they do it now and if so for how much, or do they wait until Friday and risk Minnesota signing a UFA goalie?
Guerin's not hard up for cap space in 2020-21, but he seems to be carefully avoiding or shedding any commitments beyond that. He'll have a series of potentially expensive RFA extensions beyond next season, so even with moderate retention Fleury's cap hit carries some risk.

To some extent it might depend on the details of the Dubnyk trade and how much salary we end up retaining there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad