TSN: Seravelli: VGK offered Fleury + 2nd league wide, with no takers

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
They can do that without dumping Glass.

1. Buyout Fleury, saves you $4.5 million for this year
2. Trade Martinez, saves you $4 million for this year

That probably gets them the money that Pietrangelo is going to get. If that's not enough, they can also look at trading someone like Stastny. None of those involve giving up Glass to get out of Fleury's deal.

That gives you just under $8.5M in space.

... With 17 players under contract.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
issue with that is that it keeps vegas out of the big fish market in FA, so the question is who blinks first
VGK blinks 1st, no doubt about it. With the AHL shut down etc., G's (1b/2a/2b) caliber can be found anywhere, even from Europe/KHL etc. A lottery team really only "needs" a warm body to play ~25-30gp. Wings can always sign one of those, or worst case scenario bring Howard back 1 yr (ugghhh).

Glass + 1st for $14M cap/$12.5M salary/2yrs. No retention needed, so Knights can go after Petro.

Fleury is a 1b & turns 36 in Nov.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Vegas could retain 2 million and probably not get a taker for Fleury and a 2021 2nd. Another wrinkle in moving him is that he has a 10 team no trade list which I suspect would be filled with the teams most likely to have the cap space to take on his cap without sending something back.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I also don’t see Stastny as super movable with a 6.5 cap hit. Does he have a no-move?

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
Trying to get something for him before they end up paying Seattle to take him in the expansion draft.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I also don’t see Stastny as super movable with a 6.5 cap hit. Does he have a no-move?

He has a 10 team NTC, and he's definitely movable because he only has 1 year left on his deal. A team who wants a veteran C down the middle and has cap space would immediately jump at acquiring Stastny, because they can either get him for nothing now and trade him for more later or get a strong middle-6 center for cheap.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Makes 7 million a year for 2 years. Only 2 million of the 14 million he is owed is a signing bonus so he is still owed 12 million real dollars.

Factor in declining play, a toxic agent, you got all the factors of an awful deal to take at 0 retention

Reactions: Luckylarry

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He has a 10 team NTC, and he's definitely movable because he only has 1 year left on his deal. A team who wants a veteran C down the middle and has cap space would immediately jump at acquiring Stastny, because they can either get him for nothing now and trade him for more later or get a strong middle-6 center for cheap.

Again, the very few teams that have the cap space to add Paul Stastny's $6.5M aren't doing it for free.

Reactions: IcedJuicebox

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Makes 7 million a year for 2 years. Only 2 million of the 14 million he is owed is a signing bonus so he is still owed 12 million real dollars.

Factor in declining play, a toxic agent, you got all the factors of an awful deal to take at 0 retention

All those significant risk factors, and it's a gamble you are even getting starting quality goaltending from him. Vegas had to go get a replacement for him last year they were so concerned. Vegas will need to up that to a 1st to get someone to bite. Toronto had to pay AT LEAST a 1st to clear out Marleau who only had 1 year on his bad deal and not in such an impactful position as goalie. Might need more even.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
During healthy financial times the Leafs had to give up 13OA to dump just one year of Marleau at 6 million.
'
The leafs didn't give up 13th overall. They gave up a first which turned out to be 13th overall. They had no intention of it being that good of a pick. I think if they had to do it over, they'd keep the pick and figure something else out. So what you said is disingenuous.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
All those significant risk factors, and it's a gamble you are even getting starting quality goaltending from him. Vegas had to go get a replacement for him last year they were so concerned. Vegas will need to up that to a 1st to get someone to bite. Toronto had to pay AT LEAST a 1st to clear out Marleau who only had 1 year on his bad deal and not in such an impactful position as goalie. Might need more even.

While I agree that the price will be high, probably 1st high, Toronto is not a good comparison.

Marleau had a NTC and wouldn't waive it for anywhere but SJS or a team that would buy him out. Not the same situation.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
'
The leafs didn't give up 13th overall. They gave up a first which turned out to be 13th overall. They had no intention of it being that good of a pick. I think if they had to do it over, they'd keep the pick and figure something else out. So what you said is disingenuous.

If Toronto had a do over, they probably use it up going back to fix the f***ed up Nylander negotiations.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Vegas is going to have to buy him out they are pretty screwed

I'm not sure why they don't just do that to begin with. It's not like the buy out is bad, unless I"m missing something. It clears 4.5 and 4 the next two years, and then they have 2 million penalty in years 3 and 4, with Reaves, Smith and Holden coming off the books. Holden is replacement level, and while Reaves is a type every team should have, it's not like you're losing an offensive juggernaut. He should be someone who's skill set is ELC replaceable.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I'm not sure why they don't just do that to begin with. It's not like the buy out is bad, unless I"m missing something. It clears 4.5 and 4 the next two years, and then they have 2 million penalty in years 3 and 4, with Reaves, Smith and Holden coming off the books. Holden is replacement level, and while Reaves is a type every team should have, it's not like you're losing an offensive juggernaut. He should be someone who's skill set is ELC replaceable.

Better to try to move him in a trade first. Can always circle back during the 2nd buy-out window.

Reactions: Morrison

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Better to try to move him in a trade first. Can always circle back during the 2nd buy-out window.

Oh no, I get trying to trade him...I'm not sure that I get trying to trade him with a major sweetener (granted, a future second isn't a major sweetener, but I'm trying to get ahead of the notion that they would give up something like a first round pick)

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I’m not foreign to knowing how contracts are eventually figured out, but, 250k increase on RNH’s current cap hit is kind of a slap in the face.

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad