Salary Cap: Sens don't qualify Duclair - Part Deux

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
[Edit]

Duc was an all star, killed PK, played PP, scored 20+, battled, worked ... etc etc.

Do you really need to be reminded that Duclair was the one who turned down the Senators (very generous) offer?

Maybe it is a Senators thing to overpay young talent, but the fact remains that he was offered a good contract and thought he could do better.

Last edited by a moderator:

danielpaIIfredsson

White would not have gotten that contract if things were shifted, and he had his break out season leading into this summer.

White was in the right place at the right time. There was an expectation that the salary cap would exceed 90 million very soon. The Senators also needed to build culture by locking guys down to prove that players wouldn't be moved the minute they needed to get paid.

If Duclair was offered 2 years at 3 million, White probably would not have been offered more in this pandemic market.

You're comparing apples and loafs of bread.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Do you really need to be reminded that Duclair was the one who turned down the Senators (very generous) offer?

Maybe it is a Senators thing to overpay young talent, but the fact remains that he was offered a good contract and thought he could do better.

If your employer cut 20% of your salary and told you to be happy about it because you still make “good” money I doubt feel happy.

Duc looks at his 20+G, TOI, and use on the PP and PK and sees his value in the $4-5 range. So if someone offers him $3 he doesn’t jump at that offer. His play last season was in the same tier as Brady and many fans would give Brady $8 tomorrow.

It remains to be seen if he should have taken the offer.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
White would not have gotten that contract if things were shifted, and he had his break out season leading into this summer.

White was in the right place at the right time. There was an expectation that the salary cap would exceed 90 million very soon. The Senators also needed to build culture by locking guys down to prove that players wouldn't be moved the minute they needed to get paid.

If Duclair was offered 2 years at 3 million, White probably would not have been offered more in this pandemic market.

Welcome back!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If your employer cut 20% of your salary and told you to be happy about it because you still make “good” money I doubt feel happy.

Duc looks at his 20+G, TOI, and use on the PP and PK and sees his value in the $4-5 range. So if someone offers him $3 he doesn’t jump at that offer. His play last season was in the same tier as Brady and many fans would give Brady $8 tomorrow.

It remains to be seen if he should have taken the offer.

As far as I recall, his employer offered him a raise, one that was in the 100% range

Duclair misjudged the market. The end. Hopefully he can mitigate the damage he's done to his bank account but what happened to him is not the team's fault

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
As far as I recall, his employer offered him a raise, one that was in the 100% range

Duclair misjudged the market. The end. Hopefully he can mitigate the damage he's done to his bank account but what happened to him is not the team's fault

Some players in the league are grossly over paid and some underpaid. Duclair stats and deployment had him in the middle of the pack of guys making $7million at Christmas. He fell off a bit but when you run something like Goals/AAV, Duclair is underpaid.

You certainly can’t determine that he misjudged the market and this is his fault. At least any more/less than Hoffman’s current situation. Others players on 10+goals have used comps to justify $5 million type salaries. Nobody around here wanted to give this guy that money pre Covid either.

He had another 20+ goal season and his final numbers probably look like 25G 47PTS. We would gladly take those numbers from Brady, White,Dad types who will all make more than we offered Duclair.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Some players in the league are grossly over paid and some underpaid. Duclair stats and deployment had him in the middle of the pack of guys making $7million at Christmas. He fell off a bit but when you run something like Goals/AAV, Duclair is underpaid.

You certainly can’t determine that he misjudged the market and this is his fault. At least any more/less than Hoffman’s current situation. Others players on 10+goals have used comps to justify $5 million type salaries. Nobody around here wanted to give this guy that money pre Covid either.

He had another 20+ goal season and his final numbers probably look like 25G 47PTS. We would gladly take those numbers from Brady, White,Dad types who will all make more than we offered Duclair.
That’s not how things work. There is context required such as Duclair career history, his 29 game finish, his poor overall game. Dadanov has put up numbers in the NHL and KHL prior and has been consistent.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Yes, you can in fact determine that he misjudged the market. He's not signed.

Lumping him in with Hoffman is ironic. Both one dimensional players with a rep for not playing defence and rightly or wrongly baggage related to character

You can spin it anyway you want....he's a UFA that is not signed

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yes, you can in fact determine that he misjudged the market. He's not signed.

Lumping him in with Hoffman is ironic. Both one dimensional players with a rep for not playing defence and rightly or wrongly baggage related to character

You can spin it anyway you want....he's a UFA that is not signed

Duclair absolutely deserves to be paid with a Hoffman type filter. He’s better than he gets credit for defensively but he has his short comings. That being said I’ve seen a lot of celebrating around here for guys getting 2-3x the money Duc gets for guys that aren’t half as good.

Last edited:

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa

Welcome back indeed! Missed your takes my dude. Hope all is well!

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
If Duclair was so good.... doesn't it make sense someone would have picked him up. Duclair seems an example of opportunity cost in that the team has this much money where and how do they spend it most wisely. One year of Galchenuk and Dadanov for three seems (albeit there have been no games played) a better value than Duclair.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

Fell off "a bit"? He went on a streak for more than a quarter of an 82 game season without scoring a goal, lol.

There's no way that he should be getting paid anywhere near Hoffman's level. Hoffman has at least proved that he's a one-dimensional player.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Surprised both he and Hoffman are still unsigned. I know Hoff has baggage but 30 goal scorers arent super common.

Wonder if Duke will need to take a PTO (if theyre even having those this year at camp. Havent looked into it)

Reactions: jhutter

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Surprised both he and Hoffman are still unsigned. I know Hoff has baggage but 30 goal scorers arent super common.

Wonder if Duke will need to take a PTO (if theyre even having those this year at camp. Havent looked into it)

I haven't really been following closely but there was a rumour Hoff and some team had basically come to terms but they were just waiting to clear some space, which could even mean needing to wait for the first day of the season so that they can fully use LTIR space.

Reactions: DrEasy and cudi

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I haven't really been following closely but there was a rumour Hoff and some team had basically come to terms but they were just waiting to clear some space, which could even mean needing to wait for the first day of the season so that they can fully use LTIR space.

That makes a lot of sense.

Covid really messing with teams budgets.

This is probably the absolute worst offseason for Duke to represent himself lol. Wildly miscalculated on that gamble

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

I believe the team is Boston.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Probably Vegas, hence the talk of trading Pacioretty or Marchessault and even potentially being willing to include a pick to get it done.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Really wanted Duclair to extend with the Sens, was pretty annoyed that it couldn't get done at the time but having acquired Dadanov has significantly softened the blow.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I'm convinced that if Duclair employed an agent to negotiate for him and present options that Duclair would be signed right now. Without the agent to act as a check valve this really spun out of control. I strongly believe a good agent would have understood the climate and talked him off the ledge, getting that ink on paper.

Reactions: Rand0m and jhutter

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Really wanted Duclair to extend with the Sens, was pretty annoyed that it couldn't get done at the time but having acquired Dadanov has significantly softened the blow.

Many probably thought signing Dadonov was a pipedream until it happened. The reason to be upset about not retaining Duclair is that we controlled his fate, there was a lot of risk that we wouldn't be able to replace him no matter how much we tried. Dadonov is a definate upgrade at a similar price to what it would have taken to retain Duclair as an RFA via arbitration.

Hindsight being what it is, this appears to be a good decision as much as it wasn't clear at the onset, I'll eat some crow on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad