Salary Cap: Sens don't qualify Duclair - Part Deux

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Goals are good. Winning is good.

Team that scores more goals than other team wins hockey game.

Does it put us in the playoffs? Not likely

Does it result in a young player not getting nhl reps? Likely
Does it result in a young player getting less PP time? Likely
Does it result in us having more or less unanswered questions going into the 21 season? More due to the above

At this point, there's really nothing that comes from giving him a 1 year deal

#assetmanagement

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's not a guy a team looking to contend wants in the top 6

He is if he's scoring 25-35G a year, in the same way Hoffman is a valuable piece in a team's top 6.

I understand not believing Duclair's time in Ottawa is representative of how he's going to perform in future seasons, but I think would have been easily worth it to give him another year to prove himself.

Kid is very dynamic and has top 6 skill and speed. He's only 25 and may not be fully developed. Why not give him another year to prove his 30G pace as a Senator isn't a fluke?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Does it put us in the playoffs? Not likely

Does it result in a young player not getting nhl reps? Likely
Does it result in a young player getting less PP time? Likely
Does it result in us having more or less unanswered questions going into the 21 season? More due to the above

At this point, there's really nothing that comes from giving him a 1 year deal

#assetmanagement

He's a young player. Kid is 25. Same age as Paul, younger than Brown and Tierney. He may not be fully developed yet. Hoffman didn't break out and score 20G+ until he was Duclair's age.

You get him on a one year deal hoping he proves last season wasn't a fluke and that he's a legit top 6 goal scorer. If he does, you could either trade him at the deadline for nice assets (think Dzingel-type deal) or re-sign him. If he plays badly, you can walk away at the end of the year and no harm done.

It's bad asset management to let a 25YR old kid with 31G in his last 87GP walk away for nothing.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He is if he's scoring 25-35G a year, in the same way Hoffman is a valuable piece in a team's top 6.

I understand not believing Duclair's time in Ottawa is representative of how he's going to perform in future seasons, but I think would have been easily worth it to give him another year to prove himself.

Kid is very dynamic and has top 6 skill and speed. He's only 25 and may not be fully developed. Why not give him another year to prove his 30G pace as a Senator isn't a fluke?

He's a guy that's not good enough to play a role he needs to produce on a good team. Same as Dzingel. Neither are in Hoffman's tier. Look at Dzingel, back to back 20 goal seasons on a bad team, traded to Columbus scratched in the playoffs, signs in carolina scratched in the playoffs. If these guys are taking prime offensive opportunity, your team is bad.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

If he's scoring 25 goals you are a bad team, because he needs prime minutes, and luck, to hit those numbers.

He's not getting top 6 time on a team looking to not finish at the bottom of the standings

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Hopefully he tempers his expectations a bit and we can get him back on a team-friendly contract.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Makes sense they walked away because if Duclairs arbitration date is next week all the money and cap space would have to be reserved and Ottawa wouldn’t be free to sign Dadonov, Brown etc and whatever else is out there.

Good move, especially with how the top 12 forward group looks now with Brown signed, great depth

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He's a young player. Kid is 25. Same age as Paul, younger than Brown and Tierney. He may not be fully developed yet. Hoffman didn't break out and score 20G+ until he was Duclair's age.

You get him on a one year deal hoping he proves last season wasn't a fluke and that he's a legit top 6 goal scorer. If he does, you could either trade him at the deadline for nice assets (think Dzingel-type deal) or re-sign him. If he plays badly, you can walk away at the end of the year and no harm done.

It's bad asset management to let a 25YR old kid with 31G in his last 87GP walk away for nothing.

Duclair isn't going to get any better.

As a matter of fact, he'll likely regress a bit - especially if we re-sign him to a multi-year deal. Dude needs to have someone like Torts on his ass challenging him every 5-10 games or so, to get the best out of him. Otherwise, he's a one-way 15-goal guy.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

30G pace is very misleading. He had 2 goals in his last 29 games, I’d say he was on pace for 24G since those last 29 games were the biggest and most recent sample. I’d take him back to play in our top 9 for 1 year.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
30G pace is very misleading. He had 2 goals in his last 29 games, I’d say he was on pace for 24G since those last 29 games were the biggest and most recent sample. I’d take him back to play in our top 9 for 1 year.
Didn't he also come back from injury? That could have played a part in his decrease in production. For a guy who can skate like he does, dangle like he does, shoot like he does, it's the 2 goals in the last 29 games that are the anomaly.

And so what if he's another Dzingel. If he can entertain me and yield a couple of 2nd round picks at the deadline like Dzingel did, what's not to like?

Reactions: derriko

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

I guess 30 other teams in the league are just as bad at asset management since nobody has given in to his contract demands yet.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I guess 30 other teams in the league are just as bad at asset management since nobody has given in to his contract demands yet.

We didn't have to give in to his contract demands. All Dorion had to do was qualify him and get him back on the team for a year at a 3-4.4M salary.

He can ask for whatever he damn well pleases as a UFA, but we made him one. As an RFA his negotiating power was limited but we failed to take advantage of that.

Reactions: Frank8 and DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Still too early to tell. It is very likely he won't get what's been alleged on Twitter, but eventually someone will sign him, and I hope that's us.

Reactions: Frank8

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We didn't have to give in to his contract demands. All Dorion had to do was qualify him and get him back on the team for a year at a 3-4.4M salary.

He can ask for whatever he damn well pleases as a UFA, but we made him one. As an RFA his negotiating power was limited but we failed to take advantage of that.

We didn't fail to take advantage of it

We chose not to

You can believe whatever you like, that's your prerogative. Personally i believe that when the team doesn't do what you think is right, it doesn't necessarily make them stupid

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
We didn't fail to take advantage of it

We chose not to

You can believe whatever you like, that's your prerogative. Personally i believe that when the team doesn't do what you think is right, it doesn't necessarily make them stupid

Agreed.

The writing is in the wall. This was not a fail. This was a win.

Too much risk. Let him walk.

If Duke is smart he comes back to the table with his ma and pa... and they talk with some realistic numbers. No team is going to give a big payday for half a season of good play... once.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I like Duc but we spent $10 pumping up our right side with Dadonov, Watson, and Brown. Tough to argue that Duc could displace any of those guys at that $$$ and we have Bath and White that may play RW too.

Left side has Brady, Norris, Stutzle, Form etc.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pure speculation on my part ..

1. I do not believe the Sens offered him anywhere close to 4 million per year regardless of term
2. I think they played chicken with him, not having an agent and offered him something for 1-3 years in the 2.5-3 million as a take it or leave it .. IE something significantly less than he was looking for (reportedly 5 per)
3. Duclair opted to not take their deal and he is now looking for work representing himself as a ufa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->