Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Cub, it just sucks to suck.
Six years of essentially aimless sucking under Papineau is not better than anything. He took it upon himself to rebuild a rebuilding team with the results so far being zero games won in the 2nd round with 3 sells, 3 lottery picks, and 3 coaches.
I'm expecting the owner to retain his GM so he can rebuild the rebuild of the rebuild with a 4th coach and 4th sell. The only way I can imagine the wolves getting interest from a good coach is if Papineau relinquishes a significant amount of player personell decisions.
I take Papineau over your buddy Barclay Branch who was by far worst GM Wolves ever had. However, Papineau time is up.

When team was purchased team was in a rebuild, cupboards were bare. I agree on coaching never any stability since he got in. I believe Papineau prefers hire coach he kinda can control, also don't like how he by passes other coaches on staff, or doesn't develop coach within. Byfield era would have been interesting if Covid didn't hit, did win the Central division.

Ken Burgess was a great owner who saved the Wolves, when Mark took over I can't say he did him proud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs0101

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I take Papineau over your buddy Barclay Branch who was by far worst GM Wolves ever had. However, Papineau time is up.

When team was purchased team was in a rebuild, cupboards were bare. I agree on coaching never any stability since he got in. I believe Papineau prefers hire coach he kinda can control, also don't like how he by passes other coaches on staff, or doesn't develop coach within. Byfield era would have been interesting if Covid didn't hit, did win the Central division.

Ken Burgess was a great owner who saved the Wolves, when Mark took over I can't say he did him proud.
first year with Papineau in full control ticket prices rose, buddy vouchers cut in half, and redeemers were more expensive and more difficult to use; and to really give it to STH, the tank for Byfield was evident by the second home game of the season. The league should have fined him for giving Barrie a 3rd pick to take Sokolov ...30 goals, 58 points in 29 games for Barrie but benched during close games in Sudbury.
There is not a good thing about Papineau that I've seen or heard.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
first year with Papineau in full control ticket prices rose, buddy vouchers cut in half, and redeemers were more expensive and more difficult to use; and to really give it to STH, the tank for Byfield was evident by the second home game of the season. The league should have fined him for giving Barrie a 3rd pick to take Sokolov ...30 goals, 58 points in 29 games for Barrie but benched during close games in Sudbury.
There is not a good thing about Papineau that I've seen or heard.
Barclay Branch puppet, hiring Paul Fixter, terrible coach who could not coach a peewee team, to appease Mark Burgess and his son,

His son played over 100 games without a goal. Will go down as one of the dark periods of the organization. Mark Burgess telling season ticket holders if you don't like it don't come to games. lost over 2000 loyal season ticket holders, and left a mess for the new organization.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Barclay Branch puppet, hiring Paul Fixter, terrible coach who could not coach a peewee team, to appease Mark Burgess and his son,

His son played over 100 games without a goal. Will go down as one of the dark periods of the organization. Mark Burgess telling season ticket holders if you don't like it don't come to games. lost over 2000 loyal season ticket holders, and left a mess for the new organization.
I thought releiving the dinasaur of his duties was a but idea. I did not see it going from bad to worse long term.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Cub, it just sucks to suck.
Six years of essentially aimless sucking under Papineau is not better than anything. He took it upon himself to rebuild a rebuilding team with the results so far being zero games won in the 2nd round with 3 sells, 3 lottery picks, and 3 coaches.
I'm expecting the owner to retain his GM so he can rebuild the rebuild of the rebuild with a 4th coach and 4th sell. The only way I can imagine the wolves getting interest from a good coach is if Papineau relinquishes a significant amount of player personell decisions.
suck to suck? I'm out.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Next season there is a good chance we will be sellers. Dario had better make sure he has a Gm in place capable of getting the most in return unlike the present guy who was responsible for our early exit thanks to his dismal approach at the deadline. Our future can not be left in the hands of this guy.

Whoppy52

Mar 6, 2013
Next season there is a good chance we will be sellers. Dario had better make sure he has a Gm in place capable of getting the most in return unlike the present guy who was responsible for our early exit thanks to his dismal approach at the deadline. Our future can not be left in the hands of this guy.
GM has 2 years left in contract. May see no movement there.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
How much time? Next year is getting very old to keep hearing.
Coach is gone, probably a mostly new staff next year. Improvement there
GM has 2 years left in contract. May see no movement there.
We can forget any GM change then, Zulich will not eat that money. I hope Zulich has figured out to line up contracts with junior hockey cycles next time around

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Obviously, this is not an airport, and none of us are entitled to announce our departures, but I've decided for the first time in a long while not to renew my season tickets. The disgust from this year is just not going away.

I wish all the people who keep their tickets the best and that they get the team this town truly deserves, no matter how much I may have disagreed with some of you over the years :D. I'll still likely check out a game here and there, but the feeling of it being a chore to go to some of the games this year was just not a great feeling.

One day the wolf on the rope will be going across to an OHL championship, hopefully.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just hope we have a decent team when the new arena is built, because the next couple years are going to be back to normal (terrible).
The team could be good as long as Musty and the right OAs return.

Musty-Delic-Coughlan
Walton-Villeneuve-Pharrand

DeAngelis-McCoy
Mania
Jackson-Blonda

That is a good top of the line-up with plenty of size next season imo.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Obviously, this is not an airport, and none of us are entitled to announce our departures, but I've decided for the first time in a long while not to renew my season tickets. The disgust from this year is just not going away.

I wish all the people who keep their tickets the best and that they get the team this town truly deserves, no matter how much I may have disagreed with some of you over the years :D. I'll still likely check out a game here and there, but the feeling of it being a chore to go to some of the games this year was just not a great feeling.

One day the wolf on the rope will be going across to an OHL championship, hopefully.
thanks for the major announcement, I'm sure many will miss you.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007

Musty-Delic-Coughlan

DeAngelis-McCoy
Mania
Jackson-Blonda

Yeah, there will be some good pieces coming back, but I’m hoping we can do what the Petes did and get some solid returns on some of those guys and build for the new barn.

Reactions: Section5Petes

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

Musty-Delic-Coughlan

DeAngelis-McCoy
Mania
Jackson-Blonda

Give musty the C to keep him engaged until you move him at deadline. It's either he or McCoy will wear the C. Let's see if he up his game Deliver some hits and get in the dirty areas. Lead by example.

Reactions: cub

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007

I got rid of my seasons when covid hit. I was getting jaded by year after year of the same old thing.

This year stings even more because of how badly they messed up what could have been a dream season. I wouldn’t consider seasons again until the new barn is up and Dario hires some better people to run hockey ops.

Imagine 5800 strong in a state of the art arena with “London Knight” style management. No reason why it can’t happen, but a lot of things need to be a lot better, and the people in there currently are clearly not in that league.

Reactions: billoink

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah, there will be some good pieces coming back, but I’m hoping we can do what the Petes did and get some solid returns on some of those guys and build for the new barn.
Yes get back some of those 2's that was given this past deadline. Wolves actually have some good trading assets.

Probably the last time you'll see konyen in a wolves uniform. More than likely play school hockey. Dont think theirs a market for him as an OA in this league. Guess we'll see

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I got rid of my seasons when covid hit. I was getting jaded by year after year of the same old thing.

This year stings even more because of how badly they messed up what could have been a dream season. I wouldn’t consider seasons again until the new barn is up and Dario hires some better people to run hockey ops.

Imagine 5800 strong in a state of the art arena with “London Knight” style management. No reason why it can’t happen, but a lot of things need to be a lot better, and the people in there currently are clearly not in that league.
Wolves need to start looking outside Sudbury/the north, for certain positions/roles. Not sure if living in Sudbury is the issue or what is is but , let's mix it up a little

Reactions: Section5Petes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t like the Petes roster right now. I think they are going to have be a bit fortunate with lottery picks and import draft.

• Haha
Reactions: Section7fan

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Wolves need to start looking outside Sudbury/the north, for certain positions/roles. Not sure if living in Sudbury is the issue or what is is but , let's mix it up a little
Yes, the local old boys club aren’t in the same league. It always surprised me how the Sault has always been so much better managed with better success despite being a smaller and more remote city. We just don’t get it here.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Yes, the local old boys club aren’t in the same league. It always surprised me how the Sault has always been so much better managed with better success despite being a smaller and more remote city. We just don’t get it here.
Every coach on the team is from the north and or originally from Sudbury. Not including GM and Asst GM. I understand have a northern representation but mix it up some

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad