Salary Cap: Sens don't qualify Duclair - Part Deux

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Feel free to not click on this thread anymore, but it seems there is some curiosity that keeps you guys checking it over and over.

Things need to be cleared up, I speak for myself, but I am a big Duclair fan since before he got drafted and was extremely disappointed he was let go.

Furthermore this whole situation was very unclear from the beginning, and then certain inaccurate reports turned up that made Duclair look real bad to the point people in this very thread were throwing insults and questioning his "intelligence"----all based on a false or unconfirmed report that the Senators offered him a 3 year deal.

Now he comes out and basically says "no I am not an idiot" with regards to rejecting such an offer, so it is only fair to bring that up in an effort to piece together the whole story.

What about this is not clear to you?

Or, alternatively what clarity are you seeking?

Reactions: Samsquanch

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
"I'm not no idiot" = I'm an idiot

:sarcasm:

Seriously, realistically I think the Sens offer was ~ 3.0 AAV for 2 years.

Duclair wanted more dollars and/or term so he turned it down. Sens spent money elsewhere after they decided to split (no QO). Duclair had to find another taker which made him realized that his value on the market was less than he thought.

End of story.

Good luck Anthony, have a great season and maybe you could get a better deal next time but my 2 advices :

- Get an agent
- Don't expect a career contract as this is a shortened season and the economic context is still going to be affected for a while.

Last edited:

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Yet he also admitted he turned down a 2 year offer from Dorion...

Why is it so difficult to admit that he overplayed his hand....?

He gambled and lost. Time to move on I guess, but lets not shy away from what really happened here, and try to blame Dorion for this mess.

This is all on Duclair.

Just to be clear, I am not blaming Dorion at all in this situation. Wanting clarity and adding to this discussion does not correlate to blaming one side or the other. In fact I think Duclair had zero leverage in this and should have taken whatever the Senators offered.

It is on Duclair

First off he's in the bottom 5% of NHLers tgat should consider representing themselves

Secondly he left money on the table....even if the Sens only offered him a 1 year deal, it was more than 1.7

There's turnover all the time. Not offering him a long term deal, seems to me he wasn't in the long term plan.

I agree, Duclair should have taken advantage of a good situation here in Ottawa and accepted any deal to stick around and give him some stability for once in his career.

This however does not make him unintelligent or an idiot for not seeing it the way we do with the benefit of hindsight.

Reactions: DrEasy

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This however does not make him unintelligent or an idiot for not seeing it the way we do with the benefit of hindsight.

Unintelligent? Maybe not.

But your saying that with the power of hindsight his decision wasnt that good of one..which is true. But most people could have already told you that Duclair was a fool for firing his agent, and turning down the Sens offer.

And that was clear well before we had the power of hindsight. His contract with the Panthers confirms what we already knew. He bet on himself and lost. Big time - he was probably walking the line on not getting any contract offer at all.

And quite frankly, I'm not upset to have lost a player that made such an obviously bad decision. It does speak somewhat to his maturity level, and his perceived self worth and self centered attitude.

Theres no way in hell that I would want him signed anything beyond 2 years - hindsight has certainly helped make that crystal clear.

Reactions: h2 and Stylizer1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It is on Duclair

First off he's in the bottom 5% of NHLers tgat should consider representing themselves

Secondly he left money on the table....even if the Sens only offered him a 1 year deal, it was more than 1.7

There's turnover all the time. Not offering him a long term deal, seems to me he wasn't in the long term plan.
I don't think they were convinced he was good enough to warrant a multi year deal. Do you want to commit 4m+ to a player who might get you 40 points? There is a reason he has bounced around. Torts may just have been right.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't think they were convinced he was good enough to warrant a multi year deal. Do you want to commit 4m+ to a player who might get you 40 points? There is a reason he has bounced around. Torts may just have been right.

Not long term no. Not without a short term deal for 2 years that removes any doubt.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Unintelligent? Maybe not.

But your saying that with the power of hindsight his decision wasnt that good of one..which is true. But most people could have already told you that Duclair was a fool for firing his agent, and turning down the Sens offer.

And that was clear well before we had the power of hindsight. His contract with the Panthers confirms what we already knew. He bet on himself and lost. Big time - he was probably walking the line on not getting any contract offer at all.

And quite frankly, I'm not upset to have lost a player that made such an obviously bad decision. It does speak somewhat to his maturity level, and his perceived self worth and self centered attitude.

Theres no way in hell that I would want him signed anything beyond 2 years - hindsight has certainly helped make that crystal clear.

I will give you firing his agent but at the time, we had no clue what the Senators had offered him, so how could anyone of us have known (at the time) that it was going to be the best offer he gets?

The report that he was offered 4.24 million x 3 years was false. Do we know what the monetary value of the 2 year contract was? What if it was sub-two million?

Also, Duclair probably bet on himself being an RFA and not a UFA so he probably made a reasonable assumption that Dorion would at the very least qualify him at $4 million, is that correct or not?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Really hope that the Sens management didn't leak any false deals. I want our management to be past that kinda crap

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Also, Duclair probably bet on himself being an RFA and not a UFA so he probably made a reasonable assumption that Dorion would at the very least qualify him at $4 million, is that correct or not?

Lol :laugh:.

You realize that being a UFA is a much better situation than being an RFA, right? Leverage is a good thing here, assuming hes worth something. And that Duclair admitted to eventually turning down a 2yr offer from Dorion?

So unless Duclair believed that Ottawa was the only team in the league that would pay for his services (in which case this situation is even more dumb), then quite obviously he believed that if the Sens wouldnt be willing to pay him his money, then some other team would be. That was the route he chose by turning down the offer.

You dont hold a gun to the head of one of the only teams in the league willing to give you a contract. Nor do you have the leverage to turn down an offer or squeeze them for a bit more money or term. Not unless you think your services would be appreciated on some other team. Beggars cant be choosers, thats a simple rule in life that we all learned a long time ago.

It takes some serious mental gymnastics to avoid drawing the conclusion that Duclair messed up quite badly here....Once he turned the offer down he was playing with fire and got burned.

Last edited:
Reactions: h2

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Lol :laugh:.

You realize that being a UFA is a much better situation than being an RFA, right? Leverage is a good thing here, assuming hes worth something. And that Duclair admitted to eventually turning down a 2yr offer from Dorion?

So unless Duclair believed that Ottawa was the only team in the league that would pay for his services (in which case this situation is even more dumb), then quite obviously he believed that if the Sens wouldnt be willing to pay him his money, then some other team would be. That was the route he chose by turning down the offer.

You dont hold a gun to the head of one of the only teams in the league willing to give you a contract. Nor do you have the leverage to turn down an offer or squeeze them for a bit more money or term. Not unless you think your services would be appreciated on some other team. Beggars cant be choosers, thats a simple rule in life that we all learned a long time ago.

It takes some serious mental gymnastics to avoid drawing the conclusion that Duclair messed up quite badly here....Once he turned the offer down he was playing with fire and got burned.

It's beyond mental gymnastics

Disclaimer: i liked Duclair's time here. He provided some electrifying moments

Duclair's issue is he carries a lot of baggage. He carries however many teams in however many years. He carries what Torts said about him. Don't like Torts? That's fine, but he's a Cup winning coach and a card carrying member of the old boys club.

It's extremely difficult to understand what Duclair is. He very notably had some real success in a Sens jersey...for a brief period. His most recent stretch in a Sens uni was how many games without a goal? Broken only by an empty netter

I like him. I hope it pans out for him. But surely the man understands he has some baggage. Turning down an opportunity to continue to prove yourself in the only environment where you did prove yourself seems kinda stupid to me

I hope it works out. I hope he goes to Florida and does well. I'm not sure I see his game meshing with Huberdeau and Barkov but hopefully it works out

Reactions: variable26

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I thought Duclair was ok. Fun player to watch at times. He's gone. Should have traded him at the deadline if the plan was not to qualify him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad