Salary Cap: Sens don't qualify Duclair - Part Deux

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There is only about 130M in cap space left in the entire league. We know some teams are going nowhere near the cap and there are some deals for RFAs still pending. I’m not feeling a ton of available dollars out there for the remaining UFAs.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think at this point we need to give up on the notion of Duclair being here this season and accept that Pierre read the tea leaves better than Anthony

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think at this point we need to give up on the notion of Duclair being here this season and accept that Pierre read the tea leaves better than Anthony
well we dont know that yet. who knows if dadonov or galchenyuk will outproduce what duclair gave us last year

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Oriole

Dec 28, 2018
Have to agree with this. When we read that, out of respect for Duclair, Dorion notified him that they were signing Dadonov that told me that they were letting him know his spot was going to him. There may have still been a small opportunity to have him come back at that point but at a highly reduced salary. The signing of Galchenyuk put that to rest.

There is no way Duclair is signing with Ottawa for a million bucks after turning down what was reportedly offered and what he was originally asking for. It would be embarrassing for him. He'll end up somewhere else on a "show me" 1 year deal and look for a better pay day next off season.

Reactions: Xspyrit

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Have to agree with this. When we read that, out of respect for Duclair, Dorion notified him that they were signing Dadonov that told me that they were letting him know his spot was going to him. There may have still been a small opportunity to have him come back at that point but at a highly reduced salary. The signing of Galchenyuk put that to rest.

There is no way Duclair is signing with Ottawa for a million bucks after turning down what was reportedly offered and what he was originally asking for. It would be embarrassing for him. He'll end up somewhere else on a "show me" 1 year deal and look for a better pay day next off season.

The problem with this is that the 1-year show me deals are drying up for him. He's bounced around the league.

I liked Duke as a player here and thought he had a fit. The Senators were ready to commit mid-term to him and he botched the opportunity. I truly believe it's a tough road ahead for Duclair from this point on.

Reactions: Cosmix and Xspyrit

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
well we dont know that yet. who knows if dadonov or galchenyuk will outproduce what duclair gave us last year

I was referencing reading the tea leaves with regard to the covid 2020 marketplace

It seems blatantly clear that Duclair misread his worth

I think you are both right, as the situation technically hinges on how Duclair does with his new team.

Dorion did not sign Duclair because he would have had to "overpay" in his opinion, so he backed off and in a sense he was right to do so because no other team has come running to sign Duclair.

However, if Duclair for some reason out scores Dadonov (and presumptively Galchenyuk too), we might question whether or not Dorion did the right thing by not at the very least qualifying Duclair on a one year deal.

I personally will not blame or praise Dorion either way in this situation as I would have been happy to sign Duclair, and will still wish him the best and all the success with his new team and will not have regrets if he performs well.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I was referencing reading the tea leaves with regard to the covid 2020 marketplace

It seems blatantly clear that Duclair misread his worth
Ah. My bad. You are right massive miscalculation on duclaiRW part

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I wonder how many guys are losing their NHL jobs this yr because of Covid & other insinuating circumstances. Teams seem to be adding & signing more & more guys that are cheaper than thought especially for their bottom six forwards & bottom D pairings. Getting younger usually means getting cheaper too & putting all their money into the top six & top two D pairs rather than expensive players on the bottom six or bottom D pair.

Yes, there's a new financial reality. Some teams need to cut expenses, reduce their budget and cap strapped teams are stuck with their contracts, even decent players seems "untradable". It's not Hoffman that is holding back everything, it's more the cap burden teams and the fact that nobody knows exactly how the NHL season will look like, not even Gary Bettman himself.

Covid is way too widespread in NA at the moment. Once the situation gets a bit under control (doubt it will be the case until the vaccine though, population has too much disbelief in authorities and not enough resilience) and the NHL makes statements about the season "settings" then all the last pieces of the puzzle will fall into place. But the last FA signings might come after teams like Tampa Bay make their moves though

I would also say that you might see some players (Duclair would be a good example) signing in Europe/KHL if they could get more money but the seasons are well underway already so they'll have no choice

I think Duclair has just asked for too much money. He's a good player with some great tools who could definitely find a good niche with the right coach (I think DJ was on the right track).

But he's not getting signed for what he's asking. Maybe once Mike Hoffman signs at a reduced rate Duke will understand that he's not getting $3.5-4 M. At which point I'd bet that some team gets a real bargain, signing him for about $2M on a 1-2 year deal.

Well, if he didn't understand that he won't get anything close by this point and that he really needs an agent.... nothing is going to help him.

And like I'm saying in the quote above, it's not Mike Hoffman holding back eveything, it's more the uncertainty of the season and the cap strapped teams who might have to "sacrifice" good players.

Maybe we get lucky, he signs 1mil 1 yr with us, and we flip him for a 2nd round pick at the deadline after he scores on pace for 50 pts.

We went out to get Dadonov and Galchenyuk since, and there's a strong possiblity the Sens sign Perry. I know we're repeating and repeating but the Duclair with the Sens ship has sailed.

Duclair signing for 1 M$ here would be admitting "ok I was really dumb lolz"

It's not going to happen just by simple pride.

Last edited:
Reactions: barriers

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Amazed this guy still hasn't been signed.

I feel sorry for him now.

I feel sorry for him either way as he lost on a ton of money (if the reports were accurate), however I would only be concerned if training camps open up and he still does not have any offer.

Reactions: Altimus

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I feel sorry for him either way as he lost on a ton of money (if the reports were accurate), however I would only be concerned if training camps open up and he still does not have any offer.

I would figure he was lowballed a few times already, and without the ability to properly represent himself, he couldn't negotiate.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think he gets a 1 year from Nashville between 1-2M. I still see Hoff to Columbus for 1 year at 3.5M max.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I still really like Duke and want him back. I'd even go term on him if the price is right.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad