Salary Cap: Sens don't qualify Duclair - Part Deux

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That’s great to say but almost impossible to achieve. Any names ?
Haula would be a good candidate for a stop gap, but obviously he needs to be willing to sign here for the right term.

Likely needs to be a trade and it is complicated. Do they go with another stop gap player like C. Brown, Duclair, Tierney, etc., or is this where they go for it with a qauntity for quality for someone they see fitting long term.

I am okay if they choose not to do it now or they don't like what's availble, but I do think it's the one position that is probably the thinnest atm and most likely to sink their season next year. The only decent candidates for their top line right now are guys that basically haven't played in the league in either Norris or L. Brown, or they can go ahead and put someone that definitely doesn't belong there in Tierney or Anisimov.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Possible Cs after this year
Stutzle
Norris 2-3
White 2-3
Brown 2-3
they have a lot of possibilities for a 4 C

If that is going to be good enough will depend on development. I think its a little shy at the moment. They will likely need to draft a C or two next year hoping someone is available and pans out.

Cirelli is ahead of where Norris, White ... et al are right now imo , he plays Smith's style to a T and Smith coached him in Oshawa. He makes us better this year imo
If one or more of the others pass him .. even better.

Not sure how we'd get him without taking on a bad contract and giving something substantial up.

Reactions: Gesus

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Pure speculation on my part ..

1. I do not believe the Sens offered him anywhere close to 4 million per year regardless of term
2. I think they played chicken with him, not having an agent and offered him something for 1-3 years in the 2.5-3 million as a take it or leave it .. IE something significantly less than he was looking for (reportedly 5 per)
3. Duclair opted to not take their deal and he is now looking for work representing himself as a ufa

Same, pure speculation

1. I do believe, only because guys like Brent Wallace would love nothing more than to push the cheap narrative of the Senators
2. I agree, but I believe they did not want a one year deal ands tried to get him for a multi year deal, which is why they let him walk
3. I think he is going to circle back, and sign a 2 year deal and play LW

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Same, pure speculation

1. I do believe, only because guys like Brent Wallace would love nothing more than to push the cheap narrative of the Senators
2. I agree, but I believe they did not want a one year deal ands tried to get him for a multi year deal, which is why they let him walk
3. I think he is going to circle back, and sign a 2 year deal and play LW

I think they would have taken a cheap 1 year deal.. He'd be an asset they could trade later.
They did not want to take him to arb and take the risk of having to pay him 4 ish if that's what he was awarded as a 2 time 20 goal scorer and a 19 goal scorer for a year

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Possible Cs after this year
Stutzle
Norris 2-3
White 2-3
Brown 2-3
they have a lot of possibilities for a 4 C

If that is going to be good enough will depend on development. I think its a little shy at the moment. They will likely need to draft a C or two next year hoping someone is available and pans out.

Cirelli is ahead of where Norris, White ... et al are right now imo , he plays Smith's style to a T and Smith coached him in Oshawa. He makes us better this year imo
If one or more of the others pass him .. even better.

Not sure how we'd get him without taking on a bad contract and giving something substantial up.
I feel Norris has a much higher upside than Cirelli but at this point he still needs to show something at the NHL level.

I think we roll with what we have and if it still looks deficient for a playoff push in 21/22 then we go big game hunting next off season.

In my mind I keep thinking playing centre at the AHL level for a full year might be the best development path for Timmy 88 but it seems pre determined that he spends the year in Ottawa on the wing.

The dream scenario is that Logan Brown blows up this year and we have Brown and Norris as our top 2 centres for the foreseeable future. With Brady and Stutzle manning the left side.

Reactions: Cosmix and Sweatred

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I feel Norris has a much higher upside than Cirelli but at this point he still needs to show something at the NHL level.

I think we roll with what we have and if it still looks deficient for a playoff push in 21/22 then we go big game hunting next off season.

In my mind I keep thinking playing centre at the AHL level for a full year might be the best development path for Timmy 88 but it seems pre determined that he spends the year in Ottawa on the wing.

The dream scenario is that Logan Brown blows up this year and we have Brown and Norris as our top 2 centres for the foreseeable future. With Brady and Stutzle manning the left side.
Could say he has more upside.. but Cirelli is ahead of him as an NHL player as of now

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
We didn't have to give in to his contract demands. All Dorion had to do was qualify him and get him back on the team for a year at a 3-4.4M salary.

He can ask for whatever he damn well pleases as a UFA, but we made him one. As an RFA his negotiating power was limited but we failed to take advantage of that.
Our problem was if it was a 4m award for the one year. Duclair had a good argument for 4m+ and we would have likely been fine with 4m+ on a multi year deal where it was backloaded. Sens didn't want to get stuck paying the actual 4m cash in year 1. Even Dadonov is getting paid less than 4m in year 1 on a $5aav deal.

Duclair Dzingel'd himself and he lost a good offer. There are 30 teams who aren't taking him for free right now. This isn't poor asset management as many people here believe it to be.

Reactions: Yak

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

It's Timmy 18.

Also, Cirelli as of now projects to be a better center than Norris. Not sure where you're getting the opposite impression.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It's Timmy 18.

Also, Cirelli as of now projects to be a better center than Norris. Not sure where you're getting the opposite impression.
As I said In my opinion Norris has a higher upside than Cirelli.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Judging off the Schmidt deal, Tampa is going to be hurting bad after this off-season. Ottawa would be absolute fools to not be picking up players for scraps right now.

If Schmidt was worth a 3rd, Cirelli is worth less. I know it’s not going to happen like that, and I am a salty Vegas fan, but my point is players from cap strapped teams should be worth much less than normal market value right now.

I think that’s the reason why there hasn’t been much movement yet. GM’s with these assets are horrified at the idea of virtually giving away assets.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
As I said In my opinion Norris has a higher upside than Cirelli.
just like I've heard that Byfield had a higher ceiling than Lafreniere (IIRC it was a columnist on Dobber Prospects) but like he said, the problem is that he needs to get there and that's easier said than done

but I'd give a 2nd in a heart beat on an offersheet for Cirelli

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Judging off the Schmidt deal, Tampa is going to be hurting bad after this off-season. Ottawa would be absolute fools to not be picking up players for scraps right now.

If Schmidt was worth a 3rd, Cirelli is worth less. I know it’s not going to happen like that, and I am a salty Vegas fan, but my point is players from cap strapped teams should be worth much less than normal market value right now.

I think that’s the reason why there hasn’t been much movement yet. GM’s with these assets are horrified at the idea of virtually giving away assets.

Schmidt was only worth a 3rd because he was had to be traded to clear cap for Pietrangelo, and he had a NTC that limited their options.

Tampa can trade Cirelli anywhere, he's 6YRs younger, and he's going to be a lot cheaper to re-sign. His value is much more than a 3rd.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Yea no that's crazy...

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm really curious to see what he'll sign for now.

I thought for sure we'd circle back (and we probably did), but the market ended up way better than expected, and we walked away a much better team for not much more salary.

Reactions: otown

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I thought for sure we'd circle back (and we probably did), but the market ended up way better than expected, and we walked away a much better team for not much more salary.
180px-KHL_logo_shield_2016.svg.png

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

not gonna lie, I feel sorry for Duke. He does deserve a contract that gives him a bit of stability, and always felt he got some unfair treatment as a young player. Imagine if he had done with Matthews did? Anyway truly wish him the best. The blue jackets game I saw him score a hat trick in was one of the best individual performances I've seen of a Sens player live.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It wouldn't surprise me if Duclair ends up out of the NHL & plays in Europe or the KHL.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad