Salary Cap: Sens don't qualify Duclair - Part Deux

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I'm convinced that if Duclair employed an agent to negotiate for him and present options that Duclair would be signed right now. Without the agent to act as a check valve this really spun out of control. I strongly believe a good agent would have understood the climate and talked him off the ledge, getting that ink on paper.

Additionally, having bounced around so often, deciding to represent himself probably turned a few teams off.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Absolutely. He's been criticized publicly by coaches in the past. I think you can represent yourself just fine if you're a top-tier player, otherwise...

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Many probably thought signing Dadonov was a pipedream until it happened. The reason to be upset about not retaining Duclair is that we controlled his fate, there was a lot of risk that we wouldn't be able to replace him no matter how much we tried. Dadonov is a definate upgrade at a similar price to what it would have taken to retain Duclair as an RFA via arbitration.

Hindsight being what it is, this appears to be a good decision as much as it wasn't clear at the onset, I'll eat some crow on this one.

I felt the same way. I wanted Duclair signed and was shocked we let a controlled RFA contract basically walk away as a free agent, it made no sense...at the time.

Fast forward a bit and although I am a huge fan of Duclair (always have been since the WJC), I realized why Dorion did not bite and let him go. Then Dorion goes on to back his move up by signing Dadonov and it proved to me that he knew exactly what he was doing and wanted to make sure he spent his budget wisely.

The Dadonov and Murray signings were a tremendously pleasant surprise.

Reactions: JD1 and jhutter

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I felt the same way. I wanted Duclair signed and was shocked we let a controlled RFA contract basically walk away as a free agent, it made no sense...at the time.

Fast forward a bit and although I am a huge fan of Duclair (always have been since the WJC), I realized why Dorion did not bite and let him go. Then Dorion goes on to back his move up by signing Dadonov and it proved to me that he knew exactly what he was doing and wanted to make sure he spent his budget wisely.

The only part that still has me a little skepticle of this being all part of a master plan is the rumoured offer that exceeded the walk away threshold of an arb award, only logic there is we needed to backload our offer but that still means we were willing to give hime more than Dadonov if true.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
The only part that still has me a little skepticle of this being all part of a master plan is the rumoured offer that exceeded the walk away threshold of an arb award, only logic there is we needed to backload our offer but that still means we were willing to give hime more than Dadonov if true.
In the french media, I hear often that we have offer 2 x 3m

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
A rebuilding team should give him one year with the idea of flipping him at the deadline for prospect capital. Pump and dump for one season.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
A rebuilding team should give him one year with the idea of flipping him at the deadline for prospect capital. Pump and dump for one season.

Why would Duclair accept that kind of contract? That would basically put him in a situation where he has played for different teams before the age of 25.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Why would Duclair accept that kind of contract? That would basically put him in a situation where he has played for different teams before the age of 25.

Lehner bounced around before getting the long term deal... it happens

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

1 year deal with a chance of being traded >> no contract at all lol. Beggars cant be choosers at this point.

Oriole

Dec 28, 2018

This is why it's so amusing how people lose their minds over every move made. When Bobby Ryan was bought out someone was actually trying to make the argument that now Jayce Hawryluk was going to be his replacement. It made no sense at the time and makes even less now. At that moment though...oh boy Dorion's an idiot.

Reactions: JD1

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Lehner bounced around before getting the long term deal... it happens

I respect your POV, but I disagree that Lehner is a good comparable at the moment.

They might be comparable if Duclair signs a long term deal next, but remember I was responding to a specific scenario from @Sweatred that Duclair can sign a 1 year deal and then get traded at the deadline to another team, which I disagreed with if I am looking at it from Duclair's perspective.

Lehner only really "bounced around" from NYI to CHI before settling with Vegas. I do not necessarily consider the initial trade from Ottawa to Buffalo a "bounce around".

If Duclair signs a one year deal and is traded at the deadline, that would make 7 different teams that he played for and possibly 8 teams if he is not re-signed by the team that acquires him at the deadline.

Reactions: variable26

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I respect your POV, but I disagree that Lehner is a good comparable at the moment.

They might be comparable if Duclair signs a long term deal next, but remember I was responding to a specific scenario from @Sweatred that Duclair can sign a 1 year deal and then get traded at the deadline to another team, which I disagreed with if I am looking at it from Duclair's perspective.

Lehner only really "bounced around" from NYI to CHI before settling with Vegas. I do not necessarily consider the initial trade from Ottawa to Buffalo a "bounce around".

If Duclair signs a one year deal and is traded at the deadline, that would make 7 different teams that he played for and possibly 8 teams if he is not re-signed by the team that acquires him at the deadline.

fair enough... Dominic Moore finely broke into the NHL at 25 and he went eight different teams by 30.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

He's not really the type of player who garners a lot at the deadline. I know Dzingel did and he's a similar kind of one-dimensional scorer, but he was pacing 1st line numbers when he was traded (32G, 63P/82GP).

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Because he likes the term and the chance to prove value in the playoffs.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I don’t think Duc cares if he changes cities, I think he would go wherever someone gave him $4.5x3 type money.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
If Duclair comes down in $$ on maybe a shorter deal, the Sens would be nuts not to sign him. $3.3M x 3 would be as high as I would go if I were GMPD.

Reactions: DrEasy

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
If Duclair comes down in $$ on maybe a shorter deal, the Sens would be nuts not to sign him. $3.3M x 3 would be as high as I would go if I were GMPD.

I think that Duclair would've signed yesterday if he had $10M contracts on the table.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'm convinced that if Duclair employed an agent to negotiate for him and present options that Duclair would be signed right now. Without the agent to act as a check valve this really spun out of control. I strongly believe a good agent would have understood the climate and talked him off the ledge, getting that ink on paper.
Before the start of the season he had in his mind he was going to do this. Not taking into consideration the global situations that unfolded between then and now shows he doesn't understand business. He probably got bad advice from family and friends who don't understand business either.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Do we really need another 2LW or 2RW. We need some room for Brown, Norris, Stutzle, Batherson etc to break into the top 6 with Brady, Dadonov, TS, Gal, and probably White. It already feels like a log jam unless the Sens start releasing guys.

Reactions: JD1 and jhutter

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Do we really need another 2LW or 2RW. We need some room for Brown, Norris, Stutzle, Batherson etc to break into the top 6 with Brady, Dadonov, TS, Gal, and probably White. It already feels like a log jam unless the Sens start releasing guys.

As exciting and dynamic as Duclair was, you make a valid point. What's the direction for the team?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Before the start of the season he had in his mind he was going to do this. Not taking into consideration the global situations that unfolded between then and now shows he doesn't understand business. He probably got bad advice from family and friends who don't understand business either.

Hoffman has an agent and he doesn’t have a contact....

This constant narrative that Duc “screwed” himself is insulting to him. We have no idea what type of contracts he’s been offered and where he is in negations. More than likely these guys are waiting for dominos to fall, playing arrangements to finalize, injuries to occur, and GM’s to up their final offers.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The roster is full as far as wingers are concerned

Brady, Stuetzle, Galchenyuk, Paul
Dadanov, Batherson, Brown, Watson

Now add in potentially White on the wing and prospects like Balcers, Abramov and Formenton.

That’s a lot of wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad