Confirmed with Link: Semyon Varlamov signs 4 years, $5M AAV

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
You will not be taken seriously by anyone, anywhere, saying “irregardless”.
Obviously you have never been to, among others, the deep areas of the Deep South, Appalachia or, for that matter and a little closer to home, the Pine Barrens.

Last edited:

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Do you take those people seriously?
Hell yes I do. Not all and certainly not the prejudices that I encountered among many, but the truth is it occurs at about the same rate among the Wall Streeters I used to work with. I grew up on LI and in Westchester County but moved to Odessa,TX for a while right out of college and, as you might expect, I brought a certain amount of arrogance with me. Didn't take me long to realize there was a ton of sh*t that I didn't have a clue about. So, while their manner of speaking, and in many ways living, was foreign to me, I came to respect the hell out of the abilities of most of "those people", as you call them. You should take a listen to Hank Williams Jr.'s "A Country Boy Can Survive". It doesn't tell the whole story, but it says it a lot better than I can.

Last edited:

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Big confidence building win on the road at Winnipeg. Played the angles well, controlled rebounds and came up big in the third period protecting a one goal lead.

One game, but now his stats match Greiss’. Will be interesting to see who starts in Columbus.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
.923 save % now. Looks like Varly is starting to get comfy. Lou rarely gets his Goalie talent wrong.

If Sorokin doesn’t come over or sucks when he does this contract could look bad in 3 years. I mean Varlamov has had injury issues and he’s going to be 32 so it was definitely a risk for Lou to take for sure

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Sorokin doesn’t come over or sucks when he does this contract could look bad in 3 years. I mean Varlamov has had injury issues and he’s going to be 32 so it was definitely a risk for Lou to take for sure
I think the succession plan is to have Sorokin come in, and eased into the NHL as Varly's understudy. Perhaps taking over as #1 in his 3rd year. By then Varly will only have a year left on his contract. It can be moved if a team needs a goalie. I am willing to bet Lou has calculated under Korn and Trotz, Varly's resume will be enhanced by then. If Sorokin does prove to be a top flight NHL goalie, then he will likely be signed long term. It would fit Lou's profile of being strong from the net out approach.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think the succession plan is to have Sorokin come in, and eased into the NHL as Varly's understudy. Perhaps taking over as #1 in his 3rd year. By then Varly will only have a year left on his contract. It can be moved if a team needs a goalie. I am willing to bet Lou has calculated under Korn and Trotz, Varly's resume will be enhanced by then. If Sorokin does prove to be a top flight NHL goalie, then he will likely be signed long term. It would fit Lou's profile of being strong from the net out approach.

Sorokin would be 28 by then. My feeling is he’s playing 60-65 games in 21-22 if he shows he can cut it next year when I would think they would split close to 40 a piece . I wouldn’t be shocked if Sorokin ends up being legit if Varlamov is moved in the summer of 2022. Especially if that cap space is needed for that coming season

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sorokin would be 28 by then. My feeling is he’s playing 60-65 games in 21-22 if he shows he can cut it next year when I would think they would split close to 40 a piece . I wouldn’t be shocked if Sorokin ends up being legit if Varlamov is moved in the summer of 2022. Especially if that cap space is needed for that coming season
In the end it is never a bad idea to have too much goaltending. Isles also have Skarek. I wouldn't sleep on him either. Goalies do tend to develop later than fwds or D men. You can always deal one if it gets too crowded.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If Varly has anything approaching a Vezina-candidate season, Korn (and Greco) deserve to have their bust in the Assistant Coach HoF. It just seems like anything they touch turns to gold. Way early and things can certainly go sideways, but right now, they're 3 for 3 in Islanders goalies.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
If Varly has anything approaching a Vezina-candidate season, Korn (and Greco) deserve to have their bust in the Assistant Coach HoF. It just seems like anything they touch turns to gold. Way early and things can certainly go sideways, but right now, they're 3 for 3 in Islanders goalies.

If that happens I want 10 foot statues of Korn and Greco at Belmont. Never let those two go. Chain them in the basement if you have to.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
In the end it is never a bad idea to have too much goaltending. Isles also have Skarek. I wouldn't sleep on him either. Goalies do tend to develop later than fwds or D men. You can always deal one if it gets too crowded.

Soderstrom could still turn into something too though even if he blew the doors off at Bridgeport he wouldn’t get called up barring an injury

Reactions: dood

ebergeist

Apr 29, 2018
Finnland
Varly has been a good backup so far. Nice to have a solid duo in the net with Greiss being the true captain of this ship.

BallinPB

Dec 18, 2018
Varly has been a good backup so far. Nice to have a solid duo in the net with Greiss being the true captain of this ship.
For now. I'm not sure it won't flip in a few months. Lehner didn't start great last year and then turned it on in December I believe.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
For now. I'm not sure it won't flip in a few months. Lehner didn't start great last year and then turned it on in December I believe.

You wonder if Sorokin declares in Janaury he is not coming over and extends in Russia if Lou immediately extends Greiss or they let Greiss walk and try to get Lehner for 4-5 years in the offseason. I would think he would be willing to come back. Chicago is gonna be bad for awhile, their pipeline minus DeBrincat is just dry. Lehner is not going to start 55-60 games anywhere as teams just don't do that with goalies anymore so the question would be if a 40-40 split with Varlamov is a turnoff or not

Reactions: Costigan77

BallinPB

Dec 18, 2018
You wonder if Sorokin declares in Janaury he is not coming over and extends in Russia if Lou immediately extends Greiss or they let Greiss walk and try to get Lehner for 4-5 years in the offseason. I would think he would be willing to come back. Chicago is gonna be bad for awhile, their pipeline minus DeBrincat is just dry. Lehner is not going to start 55-60 games anywhere as teams just don't do that with goalies anymore so the question would be if a 40-40 split with Varlamov is a turnoff or not
I think it would make more sense to try and extend Greiss at that point than take a chance on trying to re-sign Lehner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad