Confirmed with Link: Semyon Varlamov signs 4 years, $5M AAV

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Early in this thread everyone was annoyed at paying '5M a year to a backup'. We don't do starter and backup really, we have 2 NHL goalies.

5M + Sorokins cheap AF 1st contract or two is for TWO goaltenders.

Bob is getting double that in Florida.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
Stop trolling me with "likes" ;)

Not gonna lie, scrolling through the 1st few pages and liking all the hot takes was really fun. I think I'll continue to enjoy everyone's overreactions in this way.

GM signs player --> watch people freak --> stay patient --> EXPOSE lol

Reactions: attilatheislander

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Early in this thread everyone was annoyed at paying '5M a year to a backup'. We don't do starter and backup really, we have 2 NHL goalies.

Who is everyone who thought Varly was a backup? That's just made up. I understand you want to crow like a peacock about your correct prediction - at least to date. But everyone said he's a backup? Nuh - uh.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Who is everyone who thought Varly was a backup? That's just made up. I understand you want to crow like a peacock about your correct prediction - at least to date. But everyone said he's a backup? Nuh - uh.

People actually did say that. Below are a few examples. It certainly wasn't everyone but the popular sentiment here after that signing was that it was a horrible move and that Lou is a bad GM. Typical hysteria and overreaction.

Confirmed with Link: - Semyon Varlamov signs 4 years, $5M AAV

Reactions: Riseonfire

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011

Sorokin is not here yet.

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009

Please. I didn't even make a strong enough of a statement to peacock about. See the above post to know you were wrong though.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

Yeah that Bob contract is literally awful but I still would have preferred they gave Varlamov a 2 or 3 year deal. It was pretty obvious they’d know by this spring if Sorokin was coming or not. Therefore I don’t see why they needed to give him 4 years at age 32 knowing full well if Sorokin came that Varlamov could conceivably be a 15-20 game a year guy for the last 2 years of that contract if Sorokin came over and played as expected. I have to think he and his agent have at some point or will make it clear to Lou that if I’m coming and I effectively prove myself I don’t want to make this transition to be a 40-45 game guy

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Yeah that Bob contract is literally awful but I still would have preferred they gave Varlamov a 2 or 3 year deal. It was pretty obvious they’d know by this spring if Sorokin was coming or not. Therefore I don’t see why they needed to give him 4 years at age 32 knowing full well if Sorokin came that Varlamov could conceivably be a 15-20 game a year guy for the last 2 years of that contract if Sorokin came over and played as expected. I have to think he and his agent have at some point or will make it clear to Lou that if I’m coming and I effectively prove myself I don’t want to make this transition to be a 40-45 game guy

I guess speculating the speculated speculations is one way of looking at it. Working within a given set of circumstances with limited possibilities to the best of ones ability is another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad