Confirmed with Link: Semyon Varlamov signs 4 years, $5M AAV

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
There are a ton of good teams needing goalies out there. Someone probably offers him 4-5.

I love Greiss just as much as anyone else around here, but I think you're grossly overrating the goalie market for him. Goalies in their mid-30's do not get long term deals unless it's a Lundqvist retirement type of deal. He got low end starter money in his current deal and he's been around for a while so he's made pretty good money and carved out a pretty nice career. I will thank him for everything he's done and appreciate his time as an Isle, I'm not going to bet on him being the next Tim Thomas.

Varlamov-Sorokin is the future and it will start next season. Varlamov is responding well to Korn/Greco and is off to a strong start. The 50/50 split should keep both guys fresh and the dynamic seems to be working, just like last year. Varlamov-Sorokin could net us our 3rd consecutive Jennings next year to carry on the tradition...

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I love Greiss just as much as anyone else around here, but I think you're grossly overrating the goalie market for him. Goalies in their mid-30's do not get long term deals unless it's a Lundqvist retirement type of deal. He got low end starter money in his current deal and he's been around for a while so he's made pretty good money and carved out a pretty nice career. I will thank him for everything he's done and appreciate his time as an Isle, I'm not going to bet on him being the next Tim Thomas.

Varlamov-Sorokin is the future and it will start next season. Varlamov is responding well to Korn/Greco and is off to a strong start. The 50/50 split should keep both guys fresh and the dynamic seems to be working, just like last year. Varlamov-Sorokin could net us our 3rd consecutive Jennings next year to carry on the tradition...

We should know no later than 1/15 if Sorokin is coming according to one of the KHL guys

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
We should know no later than 1/15 if Sorokin is coming according to one of the KHL guys

I have complete faith that he'll be here for next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a game or two at the end of this season to burn off his ELC season so he can go straight into his RFA contract.

Lou knows his goalies, so does Trotz, and so does Mitch Korn. Varlamov has been a target for a while according to the tea leaves. Korn and Greco are excellent at their jobs. Varlamov and Sorokin are fishing buddies, the potential mentor-mentee relationship is already in place. Lou is handling this, Sorokin will be wearing an Isles jersey for next season.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Well it would be typical for the Islanders history with goalies to have two Jennings award winners on the team, let them go two years later, and have things go bad for a decade.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
That is not necessarily true. In England, and I assume Canada as well, the punctuation in this instance would be placed outside the quotes.

Grammarly.com

Commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks in American English; dashes, colons, and semicolons almost always go outside the quotation marks; question marks and exclamation marks sometimes go inside, sometimes stay outside.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Grammarly.com

Commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks in American English; dashes, colons, and semicolons almost always go outside the quotation marks; question marks and exclamation marks sometimes go inside, sometimes stay outside.
You did read that I said n England right?

Reactions: MikeyMike01

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Yes, and I appreciate the info. The grammar cop and I aren't in England.

pip pip!

‘Irregardless’ contains ‘irr’ as a prefix and ‘less’ as a suffix. It is a double negative. It is objectively wrong. It has nothing to do with grammar.

Keep digging, though.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
‘Irregardless’ contains ‘irr’ as a prefix and ‘less’ as a suffix. It is a double negative. It is objectively wrong. It has nothing to do with grammar.

Keep digging, though.

Too easy!

ir is the prefix, not irr.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I don't think a team is ever going to sign their star goalie to a Lundqvist-lock em up for 8 years until he's 42YO again.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
I don't think a team is ever going to sign their star goalie to a Lundqvist-lock em up for 8 years until he's 42YO again.

I think this deal was done as more of a thank you for Lundqvist. I don't know if they actually expect him to continue to play until he is in his 40s.

A buyout if certainly likely if he hits 40 and no longer wants to play. You don't see that many goalies like this anymore (in terms of loyalty).

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think this deal was done as more of a thank you for Lundqvist. I don't know if they actually expect him to continue to play until he is in his 40s.

A buyout if certainly likely if he hits 40 and no longer wants to play. You don't see that many goalies like this anymore (in terms of loyalty).
The Rangers signed Lundqvist on the heels of losing in the Finals, where quite frankly, he was fantastic. At that time the Rangers seemed to have a foundation in place that was in a win now mode. Too bad for them their window closed faster than they anticipated for a variety of reasons.

It was risky to offer an older goalie a contract like Lundqvist's, but they were in no position to let him walk away in the same way we were in no position to let Johnny Boychuk walk away when we signed him to his current deal. It was as a reward/thank you/paying for past performances. Lucky for the Rags Lundqvist has been largely injury-free in his later years.

The only other goalie situation I can think of similar to the Rags is Montreal with Carey Price. He's 32 years old and signed for another 6 years at $10.5M per. I think that deal will be the last goalie deal of it's kind.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Rangers signed Lundqvist on the heels of losing in the Finals, where quite frankly, he was fantastic. At that time the Rangers seemed to have a foundation in place that was in a win now mode. Too bad for them their window closed faster than they anticipated for a variety of reasons.

It was risky to offer an older goalie a contract like Lundqvist's, but they were in no position to let him walk away in the same way we were in no position to let Johnny Boychuk walk away when we signed him to his current deal. It was as a reward/thank you/paying for past performances. Lucky for the Rags Lundqvist has been largely injury-free in his later years.

The only other goalie situation I can think of similar to the Rags is Montreal with Carey Price. He's 32 years old and signed for another 6 years at $10.5M per. I think that deal will be the last goalie deal of it's kind.

Ahem... Bobrovsky...

While much younger, Vasi in TB got 8 years too. They still happen.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->