Confirmed with Link: Semyon Varlamov signs 4 years, $5M AAV

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
A fan favorite who openly campaigned to return. Sucks the way things played out. That being said, I am admittedly curious as to why Lehner took another one year prove it deal.

Despite my disliking of bringing in Varlamov, I'm objective to the fact that, all things considered Lehner took; what appears to be another prove it deal.
he did not have a choice- he was confident a deal would be worked out here on LI. by the time LL decidied on Varlomov, who else needed a goalie? Lehner took what he could get at that point.

I am still sour at how this worked out. But for the first time in many, many, many years, how can we not trust the coaches?

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
How can we "be sour" when we can't be sure what happens behind closed doors? We're exposed to an extremely low amount of information when it comes to negotiations. Plenty of things remain confidential, as they need to for negotiations to occur. Lehner appears to be by all accounts a great guy who has admirably fought hard to try to overcome his personal issues. But we just can't conclude, based on the little we know, that Lou just gave him the finger.

Reactions: nyisles and MJF

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
How can we "be sour" when we can't be sure what happens behind closed doors? We're exposed to an extremely low amount of information when it comes to negotiations. Plenty of things remain confidential, as they need to for negotiations to occur. Lehner appears to be by all accounts a great guy who has admirably fought hard to try to overcome his personal issues. But we just can't conclude, based on the little we know, that Lou just gave him the finger.
that is basically exactly what Lehner has stated publicly- perhaps not 100% accurate, and there are 2 sides to every story.

Irregardless, what i meant by sour was merely that Lehner is not our goalie

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
that is basically exactly what Lehner has stated publicly- perhaps not 100% accurate, and there are 2 sides to every story.

Ah, I see, sorry if I misconstrued. My post wasn't really directed at you, just at the mood in general.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

Irregardless is not really a word. But, if it were a word, you’ve used it incorrectly. It’s a double negative, you simply meant regardless.

Reactions: Strummergas

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Irregardless is not really a word. But, if it were a word, you’ve used it incorrectly. It’s a double negative, you simply meant regardless.
Sorry pal, but "irregardless" is, in fact, a word, listed in both Merriam-Websters and the OED. It's usage is often for humorous purposes and is "non-standard", but it is most definitely a word, conveying the exact same meaning as the word "regardless".

Maybe you should have jumped on him for his use of two -ly adverbs consecutively instead. Of course, you would have been wrong about that too.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Sorry pal, but "irregardless" is, in fact, a word, listed in both Merriam-Websters and the OED. It's usage is often for humorous purposes and is "non-standard", but it is most definitely a word, conveying the exact same meaning as the word "regardless".

Maybe you should have jumped on him for his use of two -ly adverbs consecutively instead. Of course, you would have been wrong about that too.

Hmm, that's pretty interesting.

I vividly remember 10th grade math and our teacher always used 'irregardless' and we all would kind of snicker because we'd think to ourselves that it's not a word. It was a thing in that class, every one of us would wonder if anyone had the balls to correct him and no one ever did. That and he used to chew gum and it looked like he was chewing his lips off. The way he would say 'irregardless' was unforgettable, kind of like a Male version of Janice from Friends.

You have now ruined that childhood memory for me. :laugh:

I know this is a stab in the dark, but do you know when it was adopted into the M-W Dictionary? 10th grade math was like 30 years ago and I could have sworn it wasn't in there back then.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018

I vividly remember 10th grade math and our teacher always used 'irregardless' and we all would kind of snicker because we'd think to ourselves that it's not a word. It was a thing in that class, every one of us would wonder if anyone had the balls to correct him and no one ever did. That and he used to chew gum and it looked like he was chewing his lips off. The way he would say 'irregardless' was unforgettable, kind of like a Male version of Janice from Friends.

I know this is a stab in the dark, but do you know when it was adopted into the M-W Dictionary? 10th grade math was like 30 years ago and I could have sworn it wasn't in there back then.
Lived in the wilds of Essex County, NY (way upstate- poorest or second poorest county in the state) for a while and heard the word a lot. Used to chafe at me too. Anyway, don't know the history but I'm sure some googling can get you there. I just noticed the word has it's own wiki page too.

Reactions: PWJunior

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee

FWIW Crunk and Bling are also in the dictionary now...

Riddick

Feb 29, 2004
Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but my take on Varlamov is that Korn told Lou/Trotz that he saw a guy that he could turn into one of the consistently best goalies in the league. But we'll see.
Ah, the Victor Zambrano situation all over again!

Reactions: sabremike

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

It is definitely not a word. There are plenty of words that appear in the dictionary as non-standard. I’m sure you know what that means. I was certainly not jumping on anyone. I was simply advising. Irregardless most certainly does not mean the same thing as regardless. The prefix ir- meaning not and the suffix -less meaning without, making irregardless mean, not without regard. The opposite of what regardless means. Therefore, it is not acceptable, especially not in the context which it was used.

Last edited:

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
It is definitely not a word. There are plenty of words that appear in the dictionary as non-standard. I’m sure you know what that means. I was certainly not jumping on anyone. I was simply advising. Irregardless most certainly does not mean the same thing as regardless. The prefix ir- meaning not and the suffix -less meaning without, making irregardless mean, not without regard. The opposite of what regardless means. Therefore, it is not acceptable, especially not in the context which it was used.
Why would you bring up a grammar issue here in the manner you did if you weren't jumping on someone, or at least putting on airs? You knew what he meant. Half of America uses the word "irregardless" regularly, that alone makes it a word whether you like it or not. It conveys a meaning and people understand what it means, therefore it is a word, and is acknowledged to be so by those who make such determinations, such as they are.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Why would you bring up a grammar issue here in the manner you did if you weren't jumping on someone, or at least putting on airs? You knew what he meant. Half of America uses the word "irregardless" regularly, that alone makes it a word whether you like it or not. It conveys a meaning and people understand what it means, therefore it is a word, and is acknowledged to be so by those who make such determinations, such as they are.
Half of America also doesn't know the difference between they're, there and their. Doesn't make it correct.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Half of America also doesn't know the difference between they're, there and their. Doesn't make it correct.
I didn't say it was correct, I said it was a word. The fact that we don't like it or like people using it doesn't make it any less so. And the fact that some knucklehead felt like being all superior about it on a board like this is a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: crasherino

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Regardless of whether or not irregardless is or isn't a word, I don't think Varlamov gives a shit and isn't going to use either when giving interviews.

Keep it on topic.;)

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad