Confirmed with Link: Semyon Varlamov signs 4 years, $5M AAV

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Anything less than a very high finish in Vezina voting should be unacceptable in the system Trotz runs. Hope he lives up to this. Lou is betting a lot on him

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Lou is trying to build a winning hockey club, not solicit Vezina votes.
I’m in the camp that believes having a top notch goalie helps win hockey games. Lehner did it last year. Anything less from Varlamov is unacceptable, especially considering he is playing in front of a more mature and better team than lehner was. Time will tell if he wins games like lehner did Under the trotz system

Reactions: Thrasymachus

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I’m in the camp that believes having a top notch goalie helps win hockey games. Lehner did it last year. Anything less from Varlamov is unacceptable, especially considering he is playing in front of a more mature and better team than lehner was. Time will tell if he wins games like lehner did Under the trotz system

I wish we resigned Lehner as well but we need to stop acting like the guy played 65 games and put up those numbers. Greiss had identical stats. Lehner had the better story surrounding him and that is the only reason why he was nominated for the Vezina instead of Greiss.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I wish we resigned Lehner as well but we need to stop acting like the guy played 65 games and put up those numbers. Greiss had identical stats. Lehner had the better story surrounding him and that is the only reason why he was nominated for the Vezina instead of Greiss.
No arguments here. The fact that the 2 goalies last year were spectacular, is the same reason why we should expect nothing less from varlamov. In fact, we should expect more. We only hope he can live up to this expectation

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Go back 1 year, not a long time, and I think everyone chooses Varly over Lehner. We went from a goalie who had 1 great year and is 27, to a goalie that had a few great years, and is 3 years older.

Seriously, I don't get the sense of impending doom that some here feel. I don't think anyone can make a valid case that either goalie is head-and-shoulders above the other.

And this is NOT including what goes on behind the scenes. I am happy for Lehner, but maybe he is a downer, and Varly is a great leader? Who knows?

Unless you are associated with a player or team, I think neither of us knows.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Varley + Sorkin is going to be the best duo in NHL soon enough. Sitting right behind the best young D core in the NHL (Dobson Pulock, Toews, Aho, wild) and best defensive NHL team.

Reactions: nyisleslover

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Varly has more pure goaltending talent than Lehner and Greiss, given he’s healthy and locked in.

I’m hoping that Korn/Greco/Trotz can help his consistency. If not, he’s a glorified Halak...or worse.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Whoa, way out on a limb with that comment. Gutsy.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs fan here. Varly will thrive. He’s a fantastic goalie and has never had the luxury of playing in a system that favored goaltender’s success.

Even in his poor seasons he was almost always the best player on the ice. His poor save percentages are greatly deflated by being left in games where the floodgates opened up and the team gave up 10 minutes into the game.

I predict Varlamov to be a top 5 goalie in the NHL this year assuming he stays healthy. Unfortunately the health thing has always been an issue.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Our owner is Evgeni now.
Look at me... I’m the Malkin now

300px-Look_At_Me%2C_I%27m_The_Captain_Now.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->