Confirmed with Link: Semyon Varlamov signs 4 years, $5M AAV

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Ahem... Bobrovsky...

While much younger, Vasi in TB got 8 years too. They still happen.
Forgot about Bob, but isn’t he 30 years old? Not signed until he’s 42. Price is signed until he’s 40.

I can sort of see signing Vasy for 8 years because he’s only 25 years old. I’m talking about giving albatross contracts to goalies who will be near 40 when the deal ends.

In my ideal world no team would lock up a player for more than 5 years.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Forgot about Bob, but isn’t he 30 years old? Not signed until he’s 42. Price is signed until he’s 40.

I can sort of see signing Vasy for 8 years because he’s only 25 years old. I’m talking about giving albatross contracts to goalies who will be near 40 when the deal ends.

In my ideal world no team would lock up a player for more than 5 years.

Is DP still under contract? LOL

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Avs fan - so happy for Varly, he was never going to be a step down from Lehner, he’s one of the most talented goalies in the league. Health is always an issue but with Greiss (now) and Sorokin (future) looks like the bases are covered. Plus he’ll be a great help getting Sorokin settled. Shrewd play by your FO.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Avs fan - so happy for Varly, he was never going to be a step down from Lehner, he’s one of the most talented goalies in the league. Health is always an issue but with Greiss (now) and Sorokin (future) looks like the bases are covered. Plus he’ll be a great help getting Sorokin settled. Shrewd play by your FO.
Glad to hear that.

Honestly I think physical health is a big thing the Islanders were afraid of with Robin Lehner. He’s the size of a linebacker. He plays at 240lbs. That’s a lot of weight to be carrying for a position that requires a lot of quick motions and going up and down. He missed a little time twice last year and I think that was another reason why Lou was afraid to commit to Lehner long term.

Reactions: Quicklime and SI

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I'm going to say something that I thought about saying many times since early last season but never did. First because I didn't want to piss on the parade of Lehner's feel good story and then I didn't want it to come off as sour grapes after we let him walk.

I don't think Lehner is a very good goalie. And his technique stinks.

My son plays goalie so I am developing a new appreciation for the position (and actually a new perspective on the game which is neat). And to me Lehner is little more than an oversized goalie who simply drops to his knees and lets the puck hit him. Barely even a butterfly, I mean literally just drops to his knees. Poor positioning, he's slow and gives up juicy rebounds. Tough to argue with the results and I'm sure he worked his tail off and that is why Lou did offer him a contract. But I don't think anyone was really all that enamored with him. If Varlamov stays healthy I think he is a significant upgrade.

There, I said it.

Reactions: Costigan77

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm going to say something that I thought about saying many times since early last season but never did. First because I didn't want to piss on the parade of Lehner's feel good story and then I didn't want it to come off as sour grapes after we let him walk.

My son plays goalie so I am developing a new appreciation for the position (and actually a new perspective on the game which is neat). And to me Lehner is little more than an oversized goalie who simply drops to his knees and lets the puck hit him. Barely even a butterfly, I mean literally just drops to his knees. Poor positioning, he's slow and gives up juicy rebounds. Tough to argue with the results and I'm sure he worked his tail off and that is why Lou did offer him a contract. But I don't think anyone was really all that enamored with him. If Varlamov stays healthy I think he is a significant upgrade.

There, I said it.

I agree that he was over-sized and was able to play a particular style that utilized that trait. He was significantly better than Greiss at controlling rebounds (I ranted about Greiss quite a bit in GDT's last season because of that). I don't think he's bad, but the system Trotz employs definitely helps him because of his size. Varlamov is more athletic and has to react and read plays differently. Positioning with goalies isn't the same as other positions because they have different styles and strengths. Lehner can play a little deeper in his net than a smaller guy, as can Lundqvist, while smaller guys need to challenge shooters a bit more. You know a goalie has positional issues when they're getting beat the same way repeatedly.

Reactions: Quicklime and MJF

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

There, I said it.

I said it in May, June, July, then September and was killed on here for it. A certain person ripped me after the first week of the season when I had said Varly was a better and much more athletic goalie.

Varlymov's glove hand has been exposed on the high side. That being said, I completely agree. Lehner was awesome last year, but he used his size. Ton of rebounds, and could not play the puck behind the net.(See the playoffs)

Loved Lehner. Loved his story. But I was all about Varlymov.....even before the Isles signed him.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park

There, I said it.

He was a vezina candidate last year and has a 934 save % this year. Why is he good at goaltending if he’s not a good goaltender? Hasek had one of the worst techniques of any modern goalie.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
He was a vezina candidate last year and has a 934 save % this year. Why is he good at goaltending if he’s not a good goaltender? Hasek had one of the worst techniques of any modern goalie.
Like I said it is hard to dispute the numbers.

Hasek is in the Hall of Fame. Lehner will not be. In fact, I bet you Lehner is out of the NHL in 3 years.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

There, I said it.
Actually I thought Mitch and Piero did a good job of getting Lehner to stand up a lot more and be compact in his movements. It also seemed like he tracked the puck really well last year. When Lehner dropped to his knees he still was a large target that covered a lot of the net.

That was the thing that impressed me last year about Lehner. How easy and few his movements were. Compared to Thomas Greiss who flops a lot more than Lehner did, it was an almost relaxing feeling to watch Robin when he was on his game. Too bad he had his worst stretch of the season at the worst time, against the Hurricanes last May.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I thought Varly was bad last night, coughing up rebounds everywhere. But they players all gave him props for playing great.....

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

There, I said it.

Ridiculous.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I thought Varly was bad last night, coughing up rebounds everywhere. But they players all gave him props for playing great.....

It wasn’t an easy game against a high scoring opponent and the team let their goalie down at times. Add that the ice was awful. Varly let in 2 goals I am sure he would like to have back but it is hard to fault him for this result and besides, they won and he made some great saves as well. The players recognize that.

It is interesting to note that those who try to make this a Greiss or Lehner vs Varlamov thing this early in the season is that Varlamov has had the far tougher schedule so far.

opponents win % and records

Varlamov .556 94-50-25
Greiss .483 69-55-19
Lehner .438 82-82-23

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
It wasn’t an easy game against a high scoring opponent and the team let their goalie down at times. Add that the ice was awful. Varly let in 2 goals I am sure he would like to have back but it is hard to fault him for this result and besides, they won and he made some great saves as well. The players recognize that.

It is interesting to note that those who try to make this a Greiss or Lehner vs Varlamov thing this early in the season is that Varlamov has had the far tougher schedule so far.

Varlamov .556 94-50-25
Greiss .483 69-55-19
Lehner .438 82-82-23
I'm definitely not trying to make a comparison- just thought Varly wasn't up to his usual standard last night.

Reactions: Macch

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Varlamov .556 94-50-25
Greiss .483 69-55-19
Lehner .438 82-82-23

You're not looking at those statistics right, you're supposed to average them out and then reallocate the wins and losses.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No doubt he needs to be more consistent. He can be. Give him more time with Greco and Korn. He is going to important in the development of Sorokin.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I'm definitely not trying to make a comparison- just thought Varly wasn't up to his usual standard last night.

Agreed. Fighting the puck a bit.

Isles were also a bit loose in their own zone.

Nothing to panic about.

Reactions: beach

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Varly is still new, relatively, and I think he will be fine. Seems happy, the team seems happy with him.

We are in an enviable position, having both he and Greiss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad