Confirmed with Link: Semyon Varlamov signs 4 years, $5M AAV

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
You're not looking at those statistics right, you're supposed to average them out and then reallocate the wins and losses.

I missed this reply somehow. At that point in time on 11/14 I just took the records of each of the opponents which is a legitimate comparison of strength of schedule. Perhaps you were looking for me to look at the opponents records at the time they faced each other, but I doubt it would have changed that much and that was too much work.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I missed this reply somehow. At that point in time on 11/14 I just took the records of each of the opponents which is a legitimate comparison of strength of schedule. Perhaps you were looking for me to look at the opponents records at the time they faced each other, but I doubt it would have changed that much and that was too much work.

No, I was just joking because of something another poster said. :laugh:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Isles sign UFA goalie in off-season, goalie starts off slowly under Korn/Greco but then about 1/4 the way into the season starts playing much better. Sounds vaguely familiar.... :huh:
If I recall correctly last season Robin Lehner didn't get on a roll until December.

Reactions: doublechili

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Isles sign UFA goalie in off-season, goalie starts off slowly under Korn/Greco but then about 1/4 the way into the season starts playing much better. Sounds vaguely familiar.... :huh:

A few Caps and Avs fans said he doesn’t do particularly well in a rotation and is generally better starting 2-3 games in a row vs on one then off one

crasherino

May 9, 2013
A few Caps and Avs fans said he doesn’t do particularly well in a rotation and is generally better starting 2-3 games in a row vs on one then off one
I love how people take a random fact from the past and extrapolate it forward like its a foregone conclusion.

He doesn't play well in a rotation....until he does.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
A Lot of posters here could be exposed real hard for being a reactionist.

Anyone care to admit they were wrong to judge before seeing him play for us for a month?
I'll be the first to admit that I hated the Varlamov move. I'm usually not that reactionary and will trust the FO (especially this one) but I hated this move. Not so much as to Varlamov but because I liked Lehner and thought he'd be a good goalie going forward here. Its about 30 games in so far (of a 4 year deal granted) and I couldn't be happier. I don't know anything about Varly the off ice guy (we'll probably learn more as he's here) but as far as the on ice product, he's been better than anyone probably imagined. Whether that's because of Korn/Greico or just Varly being healthy (and rested), I can't say for sure. All I know is that our goaltending has been stellar. Granted Lehner has been great in Chicago too so if I was doing it over, I'd still probably go for Lehner, but I'm not running the team and I usually don't second guess what a competent front office does - they know more than we will ever know.

So I'll happily give Lou credit on this one. He's always been after Varly - not just this off season and seems to be with good reason. Am happy to concede that my concern was off base, at least to this point.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
In the end, the Isles are lucky to have 2 goalies they can rely on. I am reminded of this with some teams lamenting they do not have a back up to rely on. Greiss has 10 wins, Varly 9. There is no other goalie tandem in the NHL in the same range as these 2 guys. The one thing Lou has always been known for, is he has had a great track record with Goalies.

Reactions: dood

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Forgot about Bob, but isn’t he 30 years old? Not signed until he’s 42. Price is signed until he’s 40.

I can sort of see signing Vasy for 8 years because he’s only 25 years old. I’m talking about giving albatross contracts to goalies who will be near 40 when the deal ends.

In my ideal world no team would lock up a player for more than 5 years.
I would never give a goalie 8 years. Too unpredictable. Aside from injuries, most goalies tend to lose their luster randomly and for no explicable reason.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I think the jury’s still out on Lehner being as mediocre as some may think - .930 on a .500-record-team points towards deficiencies away from the net.

884FCDE1-A8DC-4791-BE89-091CB4DC4692.png

I could see him ending his career within 2-5 years, though.

Reactions: stranger34

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I would never give a goalie 8 years. Too unpredictable. Aside from injuries, most goalies tend to lose their luster randomly and for no explicable reason.

Agree 100%. I’m always reminded of a guy like Jose Theodore (but there are countless other examples to choose from too).

Pretty decent goalie throughout his career with a 3/4 year peak that included an incredible career year. I feel like that is more the norm for most long-term professional goalies.

The Brodeur Lundqvist :p: types are a pretty rare in that they stay top-end consistent for so long.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Happy Varlamov is doing well. He was always one of my fav Avs players and I will always appreciate what he did for the organization.

Reactions: Bronson

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
he's certainly playing great, and i am not surprised. some players are affected by their surroundings, and play much better, when happy. i think he's one. i would be.

LL and BT have created an atmosphere that is of trust, respect, openness and loyalty, and brought in the goalie coaches. fertile ground, without a doubt.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Didn't like the term on this deal, but the early returns look good. If he's a factor in getting Sorokin to come over, we might have elite goaltending for a little while here.

I'm happy Lehner is still playing well. He was nothing but class here. Once Korn works on a goalie, it seems like the magic sticks (Holtby is still pretty solid too).

Reactions: Quicklime

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
A Lot of posters here could be exposed real hard for being a reactionist.

Anyone care to admit they were wrong to judge before seeing him play for us for a month?

Even with his recent solid play, the jury is still out. Assuming they get Sorokin and he's the real deal, the Varlymov contract is a good and possibly great deal.

Now to break my rule regarding overreacting too early on a new contract.
How would you like to have Bobrosky at age 31 in the first year of a $10M x 7 yr contract? Stats so far are .893 save % and 3.24 goals against.

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad