TSN: Sekeres: Markstrom wont sign with Edmonton or Detroit- updated with podcast link and post #361

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Tavares was the biggest singing in his year.

Lucic was the biggest signing in his year.

The Flames singed Bouwmeester, who was the biggest signing that year.

There are only 8 Canadian teams. Those 3 signings alone put the Canadian teams as significant sources of UFA signings within the last few years....

The current struggles Canadian teams are having have more to do with multiple organizations being in shambles than being in Canada.

Bouwemeester was 11 years ago now though, that's reaching a waaaaays back.

Canada has tax, weather, and lifestyle issues, but it's not like Edmonton really has fared worse than the other Western Canadian teams. Probably a bit better honestly.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
-30 winters for 3 months in an industrial, blue-collar government town of 1 million people. That’s what Edmonton is.

Calgary is pretty much the same except it’s a more vibrant city with a pretty view of the mountains which are much closer. Banff is only an hour+ away from here and it’s an international tourist destination.

Warms%2Band%2BColds.png

YYCLetangStan

Aug 6, 2020
Calgary
Tavares was the biggest singing in his year.

Lucic was the biggest signing in his year.

The Flames singed Bouwmeester, who was the biggest signing that year.

There are only 8 Canadian teams. Those 3 signings alone put the Canadian teams as significant sources of UFA signings within the last few years....

The current struggles Canadian teams are having have more to do with multiple organizations being in shambles than being in Canada.

Tavares signed with his hometown team when they looked to be contenders.

Bouwmeester signed in Calgary back when they were a perennial playoff team during the Iginla/Phaneuf/Kipper era. He’s also from Alberta.

So basically, Canadian teams need to be good and also have local ties to the players in order to get market value contracts (or overpayments)? Lmao

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Denver is a superior city to Calgary and Edmonton. There’s also a lot less pressure than playing in a Canadian media market where there are other sports teams. The Avalanche aren’t burdened because they share the load with the Broncos, Nuggets and Rockies.

I’m pretty sure that Matt Duchene would’ve been more anonymous during his first couple of years than Carmelo Anthony walking around town.

Connor McDavid can’t even enjoy a dinner with his family without some idiot heckling. Gaudreau and Monahan go late to one practice and the media starts spinning stories about their party habits (which are true though lol).

The Islanders issues were ownership under Wang. Ledecky and Malkin have been really good aside from the failed Brooklyn experiment. Tavares left for his hometown after they’d made the playoffs for a couple years and were looking to contend, whereas the Islanders was weren’t.

Edmonton and Calgary aren’t Toronto/the GTA to be churning out countless superstars who may want to come home either lol

Once again, it varies from player to player, but many players like playing in a city where their sport is relevant.

What makes Denver superior to Calgary exactly? We aren't talking about NY or LA. As a Canadian, I cannot see myself ever having a desire to visit Denver for anything other than sporting events.

Once again, many NHL players are small town Canadian boys. They don't want to deal with the big city issues that are prevalent in the USA. Places like Calgary/Edmonton are more like extended small towns.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Tavares signed with his hometown team when they looked to be contenders.

Bouwmeester signed in Calgary back when they were a perennial playoff team during the Iginla/Phaneuf/Kipper era. He’s also from Alberta.

So basically, Canadian teams need to be good and also have local ties to the players in order to get market value contracts (or overpayments)? Lmao

How is that any different than USA teams? If anything the USA teams seem less able to hang onto their own FAs.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Bouwemeester was 11 years ago now though, that's reaching a waaaaays back.

Canada has tax, weather, and lifestyle issues, but it's not like Edmonton really has fared worse than the other Western Canadian teams. Probably a bit better honestly.

Is 11 years waaaaaaay back, when we are talking about the #1 most desirable UFA and only 7/30 teams are Canadian. So in 3 of the last 10 years, the top UFA went to a Canadian team...Looks pretty good to me. And some years there are no big UFAs. For example in 2010/11 it's arguable the biggest UFA was Olli Jokinen, who also signed with the Flames.

And if Hall sings in Calgary, that will make 4/11 years that the top UFA went to a Canadian team. Maybe you can do the math on that one Pythagorus.

YYCLetangStan

Aug 6, 2020
Calgary
How is that any different than USA teams? If anything the USA teams seem less able to hang onto their own FAs.

Daniel Briere spurned Montreal, his hometown/province team, to sign with Philly. Despite Montreal finishing 2 points out of the playoffs and Philadelphia finishing last in the NHL.

Dan Boyle nixed getting traded back to his hometown of Ottawa by the Lightning in the summer of 2008, back when they were a playoff team under Alfredsson/Spezza/Heatley and just a year removed from the SCF.

Can you please show me examples of American players spurning their hometowns to sign in Edmonton, Calgary, or Winnipeg?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is 11 years waaaaaaay back, when we are talking about the #1 most desirable UFA and only 7/30 teams are Canadian. So in 3 of the last 10 years, the top UFA went to a Canadian team...Looks pretty good to me. And some years there are no big UFAs. For example in 2010/11 it's arguable the biggest UFA was Olli Jokinen, who also signed with the Flames.

And if Hall sings in Calgary, that will make 4/11 years that the top UFA went to a Canadian team. Maybe you can do the math on that one Pythagorus.

Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver all have like 1 big time UFA they can point to over the last 15 years and that's about it.

That's not a lot.

A lot of Canadian kids dream of "making it" in the USA and having the sunshine life, not living back home forever.

Reactions: YYCLetangStan

YYCLetangStan

Aug 6, 2020
Calgary
Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver all have like 1 big time UFA they can point to over the last 15 years and that's about it.

That's not a lot.

A lot of Canadian kids dream of "making it" in the USA and having the sunshine life, not living back home forever.

Yup.

Canadians will hate to admit it but they would rather live in America over Canada if they had the option of being millionaires in both.

I don’t even think it has anything to do with hockey players per se. It’s just how much Hollywood, Pop Culture and American Media influences our lives. Canadians are probably more attuned to American politics than Canadian politics, despite living here.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Yup.

Canadians will hate to admit it but they would rather live in America over Canada if they had the option of being millionaires in both.

I don’t even think it has anything to do with hockey players per se. It’s just how much Hollywood, Pop Culture and American Media influences our lives. Canadians are probably more attuned to American politics than Canadian politics, despite living here.

This is false. And without driving things off topic, it could be enormously impacted by next month’s US election.

I’m getting close to a 7 figure net worth (give me a couple years) and would 100% prefer to be in Canada.

These players will have hugely varied needs and wants. I’m not denying the appeal of playing in, say, LA when you’re in your early 20s. Or Toronto or NYC if you’re looking for maybe more chance at endorsement $. But once you have 1) an 8 figure net worth and 2) a family, your priorities can shift in all kinds of ways.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Daniel Briere spurned Montreal, his hometown/province team, to sign with Philly. Despite Montreal finishing 2 points out of the playoffs and Philadelphia finishing last in the NHL.

Dan Boyle nixed getting traded back to his hometown of Ottawa by the Lightning in the summer of 2008, back when they were a playoff team under Alfredsson/Spezza/Heatley and just a year removed from the SCF.

Can you please show me examples of American players spurning their hometowns to sign in Edmonton, Calgary, or Winnipeg?

There are way fewer American players who come from smaller American cities. So that's not a fair comparison.

Also, love how you don't think people can just look up the statements you are saying. In 2008/09 Ottawa was far from a playoff team. San Jose, the team Boyle was traded to, finished first overall in the NHL during the regular season and was 2nd in the league the year before. From wikipedia about their 2007/08 season:

Under Paddock, the team came out to a record start to the 2007–08 season. However, team play declined to a .500 level and the team looked to be falling out of the playoffs. Paddock was fired by Murray, who took over coaching on an interim basis. The club managed to qualify for the playoffs by a tie-breaker but was swept in the first round of the playoffs to the Pittsburgh Penguins. In June, the club bought-out goaltender Ray Emery, who had become notorious for off-ice events in Ottawa and lateness to several team practices.

So yes...a "playoff team"....by a tie breaker ...and also clearly in a state of total disarray.

And Briere actually signed with the Canadiens after his contract in Philly expired? So obviously he didn't hate it there. You also fail to recognize that the Flyers paid Briere a $10 million front loaded contract, which made him the highest paid player in the NHL.

So ....Philly attracts players when they pay them more than any other player in the NHL...is that your point?

Reactions: nbwingsfan

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yup.

WTF is this? I know many millionaires who live in Canada. In fact, anyone who owns a detached home in Vancouver is a millionaire...and yet we all choose to remain in Canada.

If anything, I know many Americans who would choose to live in Canada to escape the madness down south right now.

YYCLetangStan

Aug 6, 2020
Calgary
WTF is this? I know many millionaires who live in Canada. In fact, anyone who owns a detached home in Vancouver is a millionaire...and yet we all choose to remain in Canada.

If anything, I know many Americans who would choose to live in Canada to escape the madness down south right now.

Why on earth would election results apply to professional athletes? A privileged class of people with guaranteed millions of dollars with the mobility to live wherever they want and completely insulated from societal tumble?

Even the NBA players with their BLM activism won’t want to live in Canada if things hit the fan after November.

YYCLetangStan

Aug 6, 2020
Calgary
There are way fewer American players who come from smaller American cities. So that's not a fair comparison.

Also, love how you don't think people can just look up the statements you are saying. In 2008/09 Ottawa was far from a playoff team. San Jose, the team Boyle was traded to, finished first overall in the NHL during the regular season and was 2nd in the league the year before. From wikipedia about their 2007/08 season:

So yes...a "playoff team"....by a tie breaker ...and also clearly in a state of total disarray.

And Briere actually signed with the Canadiens after his contract in Philly expired? So obviously he didn't hate it there. You also fail to recognize that the Flyers paid Briere a $10 million front loaded contract, which made him the highest paid player in the NHL.

So ....Philly attracts players when they pay them more than any other player in the NHL...is that your point?

Patrick Kane is from Buffalo, a smaller market than any other in the NHL. Do you think he would sign across the pond in Toronto over another American city and team? Assuming all else was equal?

Also there are plenty of guys from rural Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc.

The Sens were just a year removed from the Cup Finals in 2008. The point about Briere isn’t that he hated Montreal, but that he still spurned them for an American team with a much worse outlook. Montreal actually would’ve offered him more money.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Weird arguments in here right now, especially since Markstrom has been rumoured so far to only want to sign with Western Canadian teams.

Some guys want the spotlight of a Canadian team, and some want the nicer weather and less attention of the states, but I think most just want as much money as they can get.

YYCLetangStan

Aug 6, 2020
Calgary
This is false. And without driving things off topic, it could be enormously impacted by next month’s US election.

I’m getting close to a 7 figure net worth (give me a couple years) and would 100% prefer to be in Canada.

These players will have hugely varied needs and wants. I’m not denying the appeal of playing in, say, LA when you’re in your early 20s. Or Toronto or NYC if you’re looking for maybe more chance at endorsement $. But once you have 1) an 8 figure net worth and 2) a family, your priorities can shift in all kinds of ways.

Without going into too many details, just how capable are you of putting yourself on the market and making the same money/affording the same lifestyle in LA or NYC or another big American city? How about others in your same situation?

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Without going into too many details, just how capable are you of putting yourself on the market and making the same money/affording the same lifestyle in LA or NYC or another big American city? How about others in your same situation?

I’d make more in LA and NYC - and many other US cities. I have turned down offers to do so. Others in my field that I know have elected to stay in Canada or go to the US (or come to Canada from the US). YMMV, which I guess is the point.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Patrick Kane is from Buffalo, a smaller market than any other in the NHL. Do you think he would sign across the pond in Toronto over another American city and team? Assuming all else was equal?

The Sens were just a year removed from the Cup Finals in 2008. The point about Briere isn’t that he hated Montreal, but that he still spurned them for an American team with a much worse outlook. Montreal actually would’ve offered him more money.

Lol. I see Kane signing in Toronto before Buffalo.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
People need to stop overthinking these things and trying to find fault, especially by trashing cities or blaming it on weather.

Reactions: Mez

Cotton

May 13, 2013

You should stop posting using definitives, you know dick all just like everyone else about what may or may not motivate someone.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
For people bashing on Canada....I would guess that people probably are thinking in their head about what the US will look like in a couple of months. It hasnt exactly been great this year for them (for a variety of factors).

Plus you also have the border situation where maybe players (most nhl players are from Canada) might just want to play in their home country and be around family because who knows what the future holds.

I would say this whole year has maybe made people look at Canada more fondly then ever before.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

this would of held some weight if you didn’t try to flex your own personal net worth on the internet

phreak

Dec 23, 2014
Yup.

What? lol. The only thing that America has going for it is its proximity to Canada. I suppose some cities in America are good places to vacation in the winter, but I'd still rather vacation further south. As far as relocating is concerned, it would need to be an enormous pay increase for me to even consider it and I still probably wouldn't. Pretty much everyone I know feels the same way. Except maybe teenagers that have never been there and their whole conception of America is based on what they see on TV. But any adult who has visited the country more than a few times knows better. Unfortunately, I've had the misfortune of needing to travel there often for work and it's definitely made me re-evaluate my career choices... :(

TLDR: lol @ people who still think America is an desirable place to live

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It’s kinda fair game for all of Canada, let’s not single out one Canadian city, Canada is really not a desirable place to sign with unless it’s a hometown team or a contract that no other American team will match. It’s not outright impossible for Edmonton or Winnipeg to sign a high priced ufa, it’s just as a nhl player most of them will not choose a Canadian city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad