TSN: Sekeres: Markstrom wont sign with Edmonton or Detroit- updated with podcast link and post #361

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Sedins (that's 2), Iginla, Glencross, Giordano, Hamonic, RNH, these are just what are coming to mind off the top of my head..

Once again, these aren't UFAs, but as I stated before, most big time UFAs don't generally take discounts. They are big time UFAs because they want to play the market.

Now please list all the big time UFAs who took discounts to go to Carolina, Arizona, Colubus, Nashvile, etc...

I wasn't really arguing. Just wanted to see what/who you considered hometown discounts. I really don't think players give them and are always going for top dollar no matter the team location.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
I'd be fine being a millionaire in Canada or the States. Both probably the best two places to live on Earth. Let's put away those tape measures.

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. You can't look at countries as a whole. There are waaaaaaaay better places to live around the world than some of the less desirable cities in the NHL.

Reactions: lawrence

lawrence

May 19, 2012
lets put it this way, Markstrom and his agent will not say Detroit and Edmonton is out so quickly.

His job on the first day of free agency is literally letting Markstrom know all at once, who are the teams that are interested in him and what they are offering, he will present this list to him all at once, regardless of what Markstrom telling his agent if he did or not, I find it bs, that he so quickly said Detroit and Edmonton is off his list, since his agent also needs as much teams as possible from the beggining as later teams list will drop he can still use other teams as leverage even if its, down too Detroit and Edmonton.

Markstrom has earned his right to test UFA, i'm calling b.s that Sekeres has the info that Detroit and Edmonton is a no sign destination so fast without even seeing an offer from these 2 teams.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Once again, it varies from player to player, but many players like playing in a city where their sport is relevant.

What makes Denver superior to Calgary exactly? We aren't talking about NY or LA. As a Canadian, I cannot see myself ever having a desire to visit Denver for anything other than sporting events.

Once again, many NHL players are small town Canadian boys. They don't want to deal with the big city issues that are prevalent in the USA. Places like Calgary/Edmonton are more like extended small towns.

Do you really believe this? Seems corny as hell.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
What? lol. The only thing that America has going for it is its proximity to Canada. I suppose some cities in America are good places to vacation in the winter, but I'd still rather vacation further south. As far as relocating is concerned, it would need to be an enormous pay increase for me to even consider it and I still probably wouldn't. Pretty much everyone I know feels the same way. Except maybe teenagers that have never been there and their whole conception of America is based on what they see on TV. But any adult who has visited the country more than a few times knows better. Unfortunately, I've had the misfortune of needing to travel there often for work and it's definitely made me re-evaluate my career choices... :(

TLDR: lol @ people who still think America is an desirable place to live

No worries. Stay where you're at. You won't be missed.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
no way! Calgary is a nicer and safer city! close to Banff, Canmore, Rockies, Drumheller... plus we have the better Zoo ;)
Lol...Drumheller is like 50 km closer ...and who the f*** cares about Drumheller....I'm sure players drool over going to see dinosaur skeletons in the middle of nowhere when they can be chilling in the Maldives in the off-season.

Edmonton is closer to Jasper and the rockies are 100 km further ....lol...who cares. we can use arguments too that are stupid. We have the 2md largest mall in the world ! We have way more greenery and parks ! Woohoo

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No big time UFA really has. Hamonic is a special case because of family medical issues, most UFAs that sign in Canada sign for pretty much full market value.
Tavares signed for,$2M less a year than what SJ offered.

Iggy took sone money off for Calgary

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Patrick Kane is from Buffalo, a smaller market than any other in the NHL. Do you think he would sign across the pond in Toronto over another American city and team? Assuming all else was equal?

Also there are plenty of guys from rural Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc.

The Sens were just a year removed from the Cup Finals in 2008. The point about Briere isn’t that he hated Montreal, but that he still spurned them for an American team with a much worse outlook. Montreal actually would’ve offered him more money.
Can you show us Where Montreal was offering more? Or are you just pulling baseless statements out of your ass again?

Also you do know that "How to move to Canada" is one of the most googled sentences in all pf America right now, correct?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I wonder what he means by a "B" market team? I mean, Edmonton have had a higher attendance than Vancouver since they got their new arena, and ended up higher in the standings than the Canucks this past season too. If he identifies the Oilers as a rebuilding team and Red Wings as the ''B'' Market I understand it more, because no sane person should want to live in Detroit in 2020.

No sane person in 2020 actually thinks that the hockey players actually live in the city. They don't want to play there because the team is bad right now.

The town was WAY shittier in the late 90s and early 2000s than it is now and guys were falling over themselves to go there. I wonder why. Wings are a D level team... the market isn't bad. Markstrom would face like 40 shots a night here.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I bet they do operate like that, just not publicly but why would anybody with any real option sign in Detroit right now?

Money. The fact that we actually have a competent GM so we're going to be starting the turn around the corner to not being awful? I mean, "Why would anybody with any real option sign in Colorado in 15-16? And then Colorado was a big time contender in like 17-18. Wasn't Toronto a freaking wasteland of hockey for the couple years it took for you to gather Marner and Nylander and Matthews and Rielly in the draft? Why would anyone have signed there?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Can you show us Where Montreal was offering more? Or are you just pulling baseless statements out of your ass again?

Also you do know that "How to move to Canada" is one of the most googled sentences in all pf America right now, correct?

So... they had Kiefer Sutherland narrate the promo video to him in FRENCH and legend Jean Béliveau (still alive then) call him on his cell to.. talk. Think money would have been pretty good given the seriousness of the pitch, no?

2007 Jack Bauer. In French.

It was between MTL & PHI at the end. Brière was booed for 6 years in MTL (that's when he signed here) and he forbid his mom to come see him play at the Bell Centre due to that.

1er juillet 2007 : Daniel Brière raconte comment il en est venu à choisir les Flyers

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So... they had Kiefer Sutherland narrate the promo video to him in FRENCH and legend Jean Béliveau (still alive then) call him on his cell to.. talk. Think money would have been pretty good given the seriousness of the pitch, no?

2007 Jack Bauer. In French.

It was between MTL & PHI at the end. Brière was booed for 6 years in MTL (that's when he signed here) and he forbid his mom to come see him play at the Bell Centre due to that.

1er juillet 2007 : Daniel Brière raconte comment il en est venu à choisir les Flyers
Still waiting for anyone to show me where it says that Montreal offered more money...?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I bet they do operate like that, just not publicly but why would anybody with any real option sign in Detroit right now?
The same reason people signed with a Toronto team that hadnt made the playoffs in a decade and were the laughing stock of the league? Money, noticing new and improving management and teams arent bad forever

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
No sane person in 2020 actually thinks that the hockey players actually live in the city. They don't want to play there because the team is bad right now.

The town was WAY shittier in the late 90s and early 2000s than it is now and guys were falling over themselves to go there. I wonder why. Wings are a D level team... the market isn't bad. Markstrom would face like 40 shots a night here.

A reasoned perspective in a sea of asinine speculation.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Don’t believe this BS .

Also not sure why Oiler fans are comparing Koskinen numbers to Markstrom. Stat watching doesn’t tell the story . Markstrom is clearly a cut above Koskinen. There a reason a GM like Holland is reported to be “ going hard after Markstrom “ Koskinen is an average NHL goalie . Markstrom is a good NHL goalie .

Ledge And Dairy

Yeah and Calgary just had Nazem Kadri refuse to waive his NTC to come play here last summer. Only to be okay with a trade to Denver instead.

This despite the fact that the Flames had the best record in the Western Conference.

And the fact that Kadri has extended family who live in Calgary.
Kadri hates Giordano though, i wod bet that was a factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad