TSN: Sekeres: Markstrom wont sign with Edmonton or Detroit- updated with podcast link and post #361

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puck Tiss

Nov 4, 2013
Florida will always be that place where some dude high on drugs ate a homeless dudes face. Got shot by the police.. and continued to eat his face.

And those f***ed up stories happen on the regular there.
Florida has sunshine laws that make all things open to the public. Thats why there are a lot of weird stories. Also there was a guy that killed and ate a person on a greyhound bus that departed from Edmonton. So...

Reactions: The Podium

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I think Edmonton hosting the western hub may have actually hurt their chances to sign free agents going forward. Players realized how horrible it must be to be stuck there for an extended period of time.
Yeeeah. i'm sure that had something to do with it.

The stupid comments are out in full force today.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Lol every player hates Edmonton.
Every? Got any facts to back this crap up? You talk to the players? thats what they said huh? [mod]

Yep, thats why McDavid Draisaitl re-signed and Nuge is close to re-signing as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Every? Got any facts to back this crap up? You talk to the players? thats what they said huh? [mod]

Yep, thats why McDavid Draisaitl re-signed and Nuge is close to re-signing as well.
ummm it seems that any time a no-trade list is revealed, Edmonton is on it.
I’m surprised that players continue to put the team on their lists since they are decent now.

Last edited by a moderator:

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Florida will always be that place where some dude high on drugs ate a homeless dudes face. Got shot by the police.. and continued to eat his face.

And those f***ed up stories happen on the regular there.
Meth is a hell of a drug man.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think McDavid or Draisaitl are losing any sleep over Markstrom, he's not done anything special at the NHL level aside from have one solid half season. I just personally don't think that radio personality has any real source, many people have said he's full of shit.

The Oilers could sign Taylor Hall who's quite frankly a bigger name. Now I don't know if that's the best use of cap room, but that could certainly happen if they really wanted to pursue it (he is the no.1 player available this summer).
Isn’t the big name FA Petro? Hall would undoubtedly be #2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So essentially they can be a destination for players, but they have to handout terrible contracts in order to convince them to come?

No UFA takes some massive discount to play in Canada ... not even Tavares, and I know people will swear up and down that he took less, but 11 million dollars for a guy that's never hit 90 points in his career is no freaking discount.

Loui Eriksson contract is also terrible, no discount there. If you are a Canadian team, you pay out the ass for term + dollars on UFAs, that's just how it goes for everyone.

Reactions: Luckylarry

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Definite worrysome tho that Edmonton cant attract UFA's or get NMC waived even if Mcdavid and Drai on the team.

but if its the weather, then i dont know why Edmonton is a no no on Markstrom's list but Calgary is fine.

Calgary's weather is definitely warmer in the winter than Edmonton's. Lived in both cities in the winter. A couple of degrees can make a big difference.

Edmonton is a much nicer city than people give it credit for, but Calgary has also constantly been rated as a top 10 city in the world to live in

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No UFA takes some massive discount to play in Canada ... not even Tavares, and I know people will swear up and down that he took less, but 11 million dollars for a guy that's never hit 90 points in his career is no freaking discount.

Loui Eriksson contract is also terrible, no discount there. If you are a Canadian team, you pay out the ass for term + dollars on UFAs, that's just how it goes for everyone.
There was a sport’s agent on 590 (Toronto radio) this morning, and he said with his firm taxes for players are very important, and play a big role in the players’ choices. He said his firm breaks down a player’s salary into take-home pay.
I was hoping (considering the players are paid in US dollars) the host would ask about the difference in the dollar being a factor, but he didn’t. Because playing and living in a Canadian City will cost more in taxes, but the US dollars, when converted into Canadian funds, increase the take home pay by 25%.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Calgary's weather is definitely warmer in the winter than Edmonton's. Lived in both cities in the winter. A couple of degrees can make a big difference.

Edmonton is a much nicer city than people give it credit for, but Calgary has also constantly been rated as a top 10 city in the world to live in

Those rankings are always silly, like most Americans or Europeans would not want to live in Canada period. It's just way too cold in the winter.

When the NBA was around in Vancouver, getting players to even want to go there was a giant nightmare, no one wanted to play there, Toronto still has this problem even after winning a championship.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Edmonton can't afford Markstrom. They know it. I would have been shocked if anyone actually thought that was a realistic option. Nobody in Edmonton is saying they had any intentions of going after Markstrom.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Florida has sunshine laws that make all things open to the public. Thats why there are a lot of weird stories. Also there was a guy that killed and ate a person on a greyhound bus that departed from Edmonton. So...

We have ONE guy eat ONE other guy on a bus and suddenly we're painted with the same brush as Florida.... :sarcasm:

Reactions: TheNumber4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Guess you were there for one of the few games he didn't...hence why I said almost every. Here are some fun ones

McDavid so good, but must commend OEL for not being a dirty piece by taking out McD's legs like Giordano. When your beat, your beat.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No UFA takes some massive discount to play in Canada ...

This is BS. There have been many players who've taken hometown discounts to play for Canadian teams.

This may be shocking, but most NHL players are small town boys and many of these guys are very family orientated and don't care about the big city. Not every player wants to hang out in clubs and drive around Manhattan in a Lambo.

The Canadian organizations also tend to have relatively large fanbases and are far more relevant in their cities. Many players grow up as fans of Canadian teams. Some players like the anonymity of not being well known. Other players don't want to live in a city where their sport is considered the tenth most popular sport behind roller derby.

For example, this off season Travis Hamonic is likely to take a significant discount to stay around where his family lives in the prairies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad