TSN: Sekeres: Markstrom wont sign with Edmonton or Detroit- updated with podcast link and post #361

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
It's pretty well documented that Chiarelli offered him 14 million and McDavid talked him back to 12.5.
Do you think if he was UFA he would have signed that same deal in Edmonton? Maybe he would've, I don't know. All I'm saying is Edmonton, and Calgary too, are gonna be at or near the bottom of most players lists of where to play.

Reactions: YYCLetangStan

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not Klef, not the way he has played the last two years. No shot.
Love Nuge though, agreed.
I'd love to get Klefbom to Calgary, I think Holland is smarter than a good portion of your fanbase that under values him. You'll see this year. If you don't get a top pairing guy to replace him and he's out for the season you guys won't make the playoffs.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I love Klefbom but perhaps it's time to face the facts. He's damaged goods and hasn't been the same since the playoff run in 2017.
He wasn't very good in 2018 as he fought the shoulder.
Has had some good runs since.. and unfortunately.. some bad runs (he was a liability in the qualifier we lost)

I'm not sure he'll ever be the player he can be due to his shoulder.

I will say if he somehow miraculously recovered and got healthy. He'd probably be one of the top 20 d-men in the league imo.
Sadly for us fans and Klefbom it's not looking to be in the cards.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Do you think if he was UFA he would have signed that same deal in Edmonton? Maybe he would've, I don't know. All I'm saying is Edmonton, and Calgary too, are gonna be at or near the bottom of most players lists of where to play.

Edmonton honestly hasn't had much trouble signing free agents lately. Maybe if more said no we wouldn't be in the cap mess we are right now.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I'd love to get Klefbom to Calgary, I think Holland is smarter than a good portion of your fanbase that under values him. You'll see this year. If you don't get a top pairing guy to replace him and he's out for the season you guys won't make the playoffs.
Of course if we don't replace our best defender, we are hooped. But our best defender is better fitted in the 2LD hole, that is his caliber. He is frequently injured, and does nothing special on the PP.

TheNeutralPresident

Feb 29, 2020
The Neutral Planet
It's amazing this thread has gone for 15 pages when (if true) it's almost certain he doesn't want Detroit due to lack of help and doesn't want Edmonton due to starter competition, he wants to be the bonafide number 1, not a 1A.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Of course if we don't replace our best defender, we are hooped. But our best defender is better fitted in the 2LD hole, that is his caliber. He is frequently injured, and does nothing special on the PP.

I think he is a 1st pairing guy when healthy. He has had trouble staying healthy though. A guy who takes on tough matchups is super important. It's why I really hope the Flames bring Brodie back. Especially since Gio finally started to show his age a bit this year.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Sekeres jus doubled down on his Markstrom info.... he just said this on air.

As many is suspecting, Edmonton and CGY leaks is an effort to get a better deal from Van

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
Sekeres jus doubled down on his Markstrom info.... he just said this on air.

As many is suspecting, Edmonton and CGY leaks is an effort to get a better deal from Van

What millionaire who could choose from so many other cities, would choose Edmonton?
It is such a dreary grey city. Cold.
Having said that, it’s only slightly worse than Calgary.

This has nothing to do with the teams.
Just my opinion as someone who grew up in the Rockies.

Both cities are awful compared to the options Markstrom is going to have.

Reactions: Schred

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What millionaire who could choose from so many other cities, would choose Edmonton?
It is such a dreary grey city. Cold.
Having said that, it’s only slightly worse than Calgary.

This has nothing to do with the teams.
Just my opinion as someone who grew up in the Rockies.

Both cities are awful compared to the options Markstrom is going to have.
All available hockey players are not such a uniform group. I totally agree with you that many would not want to come to that climate, but you don't know what is motivating each individual player. There have been players who like Canadian wilderness, have liked aspects of the team, like the fans, etc etc etc. All Canadian teams including Edmonton and Calgary have signed big name free agents before.

This thread is built on the idea that Markstrom didn't want to come to Edmonton, from his own words, which is fine but it's not strongly confirmed. We don't know what's motivating him. Even in that quote in the OP, it's not saying that he hates the climate. It's that he sees Edmonton as a B market or a project. So even if we take it as truth, he seems to be motivated by team factors.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Which is why a "terrible goalie" like Koskinen put up a .917 here right?

Same like how in Toronto every goalies ‘lets the team down’ after having to stand on their head with a team in front of them bleeding opportunities, chances and shots all night.

Let’s be real. Edmonton can’t defend. From the top of the lineup throughout, when guys like Draisaitl and McDavid are at times sub 50% players at 5v5, its all you need to know.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
True but fun fact two money talks !! You can always ask for a trade later :naughty:.

Or you end up the Murray route. Where you’re seen as having so little value in the league after winning two cups after having a bad season.

There’s hills goalies die on. Getting peppered all night, having a sub 900 sv% and high GAA are when these guys lose their career status.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Markstrom is used to playing in front of a bad defence.

I cant even count anymore how many 30/40 plus save nights he had with the Canucks over the last 2 years.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Any city in Alberta is better than Vancouver. Even Edmonton.
Imo Marky will go to the team that offers the most money. If the Oilers offer 6.5 times 6 years, and that totals 9 million more (overall) than anyone else, he’s going to Edmonton. And any NHL city has great areas to live if one can afford them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad