Seattle expansion draft

Clammer

Dec 4, 2008
Is there less of a chance for a lockout now that the expansion is announced? I mean pretty bad business to have a lock out before a new teams 1st season right?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Rielly
Kadri
Kapanen
Dermott

Expose johnsson, hyman, brown.

We should pay them to take zaitsev
You're missing one Forward and one D to protect - 7F/3D/1G
The only way you protect only 8 players is if you protect more than 3 D, which wouldn't make any sense for our roster build.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Is there less of a chance for a lockout now that the expansion is announced? I mean pretty bad business to have a lock out before a new teams 1st season right?

It's not great and possibly one of the reasons the league doesn't want a work stoppage. (The league already offered to let the players go to the last Olympics if they waived their rights to re-open the CBA early.)

So if anyone opens it early, it's probably the union. The players seem to hate the escrow, so they might want to re-open it. If they do, it's likely the league locks out, because financially, it's better for the players to play most of the season and then strike once they've received most of their money, putting the playoffs (for which they are not really compensated) in peril. The league will want to avoid that and lock out right away until a deal is done.

So short answer is yes, the league might end up locking out, although I certainly hope it doesn't come to that. The major battles have already been fought in the last two, if they can't reach an agreement in due course this time, it's ridiculous.

EDIT: This is all wrong, as expansion was moved back one year. Lockout can happen in either 2020 or 2022, so no chance of a lockout during Seattle's first season.

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
We're honestly set up so well for this again.

Looks like sandin and lilly are exempt. Like worst case scenario we lose brown.

Resigning Hyman after the draft is probably the plan as well.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We're honestly set up so well for this again.

Looks like sandin and lilly are exempt. Like worst case scenario we lose brown.

Resigning Hyman after the draft is probably the plan as well.
It looks like (as of today) one of Brown,Johnsson or Zaitsev will be claimed.
It depends on if we re-sign Gardiner.
Rielly,Gardiner,Dermott protected.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I thought NMC don't need to be protected: Tavares and Re-sign Andersen to one.

Protect:
Matthews Marner Nylander Kapanen
Rielly Dermott Liljegren Sandin
Sparks

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I thought NMC don't need to be protected: Tavares and Re-sign Andersen to one.

Protect:
Matthews Marner Nylander Kapanen
Rielly Dermott Liljegren Sandin
Sparks
NMC uses one of your protection spots.

You have it backwards. They can't be exposed.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
NMC uses one of your protection spots.

You have it backwards. They can't be exposed.
In that case...

Tavares Marner Nylander Kapanen Matthews Kadri Johnsson
Rielly Dermott Liljegren
Andersen

And pay a 4th to protect Sandin.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Matthews
Nylander
Marner
Tavares
Kadri
Kapanen
+1

Rielly
Dermott
+1

Andersen

As it stands the +1 up top is likely Hyman and + 1 on defense is Gardiner I'd think.

I'd like Johnsson but he may be a valuable trading chip. Perhaps used in concert to have Seattle take one of Brown or Zaitsev or both? Unless we trade for another top four player, I can't see Gardiner's place within the chemistry of the club being opted for someone else.

Edited to say: With a 2020 projection...Who knows. Those pieces mentioned might be gone before the expansion draft.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why is Vegas exempt? That’s bullshit. They will have been in the league for three years before this expansion draft. That’s plenty of time.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
go on cap friendly.,
I don’t know this to be true.
However, you still only have 1 spot left for Johnsson or Brown.

You do know this to be true. Go on cap friendly to confirm. Brownie will long gone and Hyman resigned or not as a UFA. It will be between Grundstrom and Johnsson unless they add a new asset from outside their system.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Why is Vegas exempt? That’s bull****. They will have been in the league for three years before this expansion draft. That’s plenty of time.
the Golden Knights won’t have to worry about protecting any players in 2021. Back in March, Sportsnet reported that team owner Bill Foley struck a deal with the NHL when Vegas was granted a franchise to exclude them from a potential expansion draft, so the new Seattle team will not be entitled to claim a player off of the Knights’ roster. However, Vegas also won’t be getting the $21.67 million the other 30 teams will receive from Seattle’s $650 million expansion fee.

How the NHL Seattle expansion impacts the Golden Knights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad