Seattle expansion draft

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Doesn't seem to be too bad honestly, Liljegren and Sandin being exempt is really helpful.

F: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Kapanen, Hyman/Johnsson. exposed: Hyman/Johnsson, Brown

D: Rielly, Dermott, Gardiner/Zaitsev.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Tavares/Nylander/Kadri/Rielly/Zaitsev are the only leafs signed for 2021-22 right now

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Is anyone able to explain how Liljegren and Sandin will be effected by this?

Are either of them exempt?

More than two years pro experience needs to be protected. If you are 18 or 19 at the start of the season then it doesn't count as a pro-year unless you are in the NHL so they both get the slide like Nylander. Rosen, Grundy, Engvall, Borgman all exposed from Marlies. Sparks as well obviously.

Leafs will be protecting Willie, Kappy, Matthews, Marner, Kadri, JT and one of Hyman, Brown or Johnsson.

Reilly, Dermott, and one of Zaits or Gardiner's replacement.

I think:)

Edit not protecting Hyman as he would be a UFA and Brownie will be long gone.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
More than two years pro experience needs to be protected. If you are 18 or 19 at the start of the season then it doesn't count as a pro-year unless you are in the NHL so they both get the slide like Nylander. Rosen, Grundy, Engvall, Borgman all exposed from Marlies. Sparks as well obviously.

Leafs will be protecting Willie, Kappy, Matthews, Marner, Kadri, JT and maybe Johnsson.

Reilly, Dermott, and one of Zaits or Gardiner's replacement.

I think:)

I would expect a bunch of trades of forward pieces. Seems unlikely Grundstrom or Johnsson would be given away.

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The most important thing is for Dubas not to panic.

Let last year be a great example of how anxious general managers can be. So many panicked situations made VGK a cup contender.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
So much changes from year to year, and this thing is 3 years away.

I'm not too worried about it :nod:

7 forwards/3 defence is looking favorable for us though, especially if Lily & Sandy are exempt.

Reactions: Duffman955

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If Sandin plays in the NHL next season, he'll require a protection slot (or be exposed). If he plays in the AHL, he won't (contract will slide). This could be something to watch next training camp. He may play well enough to make the team, and still stay in the AHL all year.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
If Sandin plays in the NHL next season, he'll require a protection slot (or be exposed). If he plays in the AHL, he won't (contract will slide). This could be something to watch next training camp. He may play well enough to make the team, and still stay in the AHL all year.

I think Sandin and Lilly are exempt?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think Sandin and Lilly are exempt?

Liljegren won't be exempt for 2021. 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 will be his first two "pro" seasons, regardless of if he's in the AHL or NHL.

Sandin next year is eligible to have his contract slide, IF he's in the AHL. If he plays 10 games in the NHL, it would trigger an ELC year, and then 2020-2021 would also count giving him two pro seasons. So he's exempt, but only if he doesn't trigger his ELC next year.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
so didn't know there is an expansion draft upcoming? :sarcasm:

2o5es5.jpg

Reactions: Smif

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
We're going to lose someone who is not even on our team yet.

Exactly. Brown is likely not a leaf then. Hyman's a UFA

Big 4, johnsson/kadri/kapanen are your 7 F

Rielly/Dermott and gardiner or zaitsev or mystery x dmen and likely andersen

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Liljegren won't be exempt for 2021. 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 will be his first two "pro" seasons, regardless of if he's in the AHL or NHL.

Sandin next year is eligible to have his contract slide, IF he's in the AHL. If he plays 10 games in the NHL, it would trigger an ELC year, and then 2020-2021 would also count giving him two pro seasons. So he's exempt, but only if he doesn't trigger his ELC next year.

U-20 seasons in the AHL don't count, we've been through this already with the Vegas draft. As long as Lilly doesn't play 10 games for the Leafs this year, he's exempt.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
U-20 seasons in the AHL don't count, we've been through this already with the Vegas draft. As long as Lilly doesn't play 10 games for the Leafs this year, he's exempt.

Edit: Other people have pointed out (and I think they're right) that the draft considers a player that just finished their 2nd pro season to still be a 2nd year pro for the purposes of expansion draft.

Last edited:

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

I think this is right. IIRC it has to be more than two years and Liljegren's 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons will put him at two years of professional experience.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Liljegren is 20 next April and will be 20 for the entire 2019-2020 season. The expansion draft is 2021. Next season is 2019-2020. The season after that is 2020-2021. Then the expansion draft occurs. That's two seasons at age 20+.

Thanks for the "we've been through this already" condescending response, but check your facts before you correct someone.

I believe it has to be more than two. Players with two years of experience are still exempt. Trying to confirm.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Well,He wouldn't be on my radar for top 6 if I were starting a team!
But ,yeah hard working guy !

He’s proven to be a great cheap supplement to a dominant pair that can contribute, freeing up more skilled options to feast on weaker opponents. If you’re starting a team from scratch and not worried about cap, maybe you can pay a UFA more to take those spots.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
We are in good shape. We will likely lose a 3rd liner. Not that big of a deal since we have some promising prospects with the marlies.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Johnsson or Brown are gone if they are not gone before then.

Depends on Hyman (and Johnsson's play). Hyman will be 29 and a UFA at the time of the draft. If he's slowed down and/or is going to be too expensive then he'll probably walk and we protect Johnsson. Or there could be some other young player who's broken out that we don't even know about yet. Johnsson is probably right on the edge right now.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
We'll also likely have a compliance buyout period coming out of the next CBA so that's going to effect the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->