Hyman
Kapanen

Rielly
Gardiner
Dermott

Anderson

We likely lose Brown/Johnsson/Leivo

wouldnt be suprised if we gave up a pick to keep Brown
I would be pretty upset if we gave up a pick to keep Brown while Seattle is laughing at getting the better player Johnsson and a pick for free.

Reactions: Leafling

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
Hyman
Kapanen

Rielly
Gardiner
Dermott

Anderson

We likely lose Brown/Johnsson/Leivo

wouldnt be suprised if we gave up a pick to keep Brown
Brown is not good enough to give up a pick for to keep, especially when Johnsson is the better player and not protected.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
I believe that Dubas will be smart enough to keep his core players limited to fit into the 7-3-1 protected roster window, such that the un-protected players are less significant assets. With the up-coming salaries of Matthews, Nylander, and Marner added to existing salaries of Taveras, Kadri, Reilly, Zaitsev, and Andersen we are not likely to have many more core players that will be potentially exposed. My prediction:

Matthews
Taveras
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
Hyman
Kapanen

Rielly
Dermott
Zaitsev

Andersen

We would potentially lose one of:

Brown
Johnson
Ozighanov

But we will have plenty of exempt replacements. Hard to predict if Zaitsev and his high salary will be worth protecting. Liljegren will be exempt. Without a side-deal we are likely to lose a third line forward or a second pairing defenseman. It is likely that we give up a draft pick/prospect to keep significant assets in tact as a contender.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
You're confusing the word 'suck' with a sophomore slump.

He sucked the first year too, and everyone has gotta stop treating “sophomore slump” like it’s some magic thing that makes guys suck for a year and not just sort of an excuse for disappointment. Most “sophomore slump” guys are dudes who had high shooting percentages as rookies coming back to earth, or guys who were getting ultra-sheltered as rookies and can’t handle normal minutes. Zaitsev is one year younger than John Tavares. He isn’t getting better.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Is the expansion protection model written in stone or is there any thought that you don't need to load up a first year franchise to be a top 5 team in the league??

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Is the expansion protection model written in stone or is there ant thought that you don't need to lod up a first year franchise to be a top 5 team in the league??

I mean their #1C, #1D and #1G were taken as bribes to avoid taking better players, it's not the NHL's fault a bunch of castaways caught fire and Gallant was available for free.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The Leafs are in danger of losing a decent player in any Seattle expansion draft.

However, there's ways around it - several teams struck deals with Vegas to keep certain guys. Not inconceivable that Dubas would try and do something similar.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Im really worried we’re gonna lose Zach Hyman, I’d offer them something else not to take him.

SoCal Leafs

Jul 1, 2018
So Cal
It was announced this morning that the NHL Board of Governors has voted unanimously to approve Seattle as home to the 32nd franchise, with play to begin in October of 2021. The Arizona Coyotes will move at that time from the Pacific Division to the Central to create four divisions of eight teams.

With the start now confirmed and the expansion draft to occur summer 2021, how does the Leafs protected list now look?

Reactions: Ebbisen

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Matthews marner Tavares Nylander Kadri Kapanen Johnson/Hyman(Johnson if he performs how i think he will)

Reilly Dermott Gardiner(if resigned..if not i guess whoever we aquire)

Freddy.

Hopefully they pick zaitzev. 2nd choice brown.

Suck to lose Hyman if we do

SoCal Leafs

Jul 1, 2018
So Cal
According to the rules, "* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

So players who have their first official "first year" start in the 2019-20 season should be fine. Assuming Liljegren and Sandin don't play enough this year for it to count as year 1, I think they should be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad