Kadri
Johansson
Rielly
Dermott
Erik Karlsson

Anderson

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
As it stands the best player we stand to lose is either Hyman or Zaitsev. Not really the end of the world.

We could even work out a deal to keep Hyman and take Zaitsev's contract if we were so inclined.

Everyone who deserves protecting will be.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The expansion draft is in 2021. A lot of things can go down from now to then. Plus prospects like Grundstrom, Engvall, Marchment, Bracco, etc. will qualify for the draft.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Based on the LV expansion draft

Protected Lists

* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:
a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender
b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender
* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Seven forwards, three defencmen, one goalie

1. Matthews
  2. Marner
  3. Tavares
  4. Nylander
  5. Kadri
  6. Crosby
  7. Kapaneen
  1. Rielly
  2. Zaitsev
  3. Dermott
  1. Andersen

Reactions: willmma

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
if he plays 40 nhl games in 2019-2020, which he most likely will, or 70 nhl games over the next two seasons, he will be eligible for the expansion draft.

I see the confusion, you don't actually watch the Marlies (I would even bet you have never even seen Liljegren play, ever) and just assume Lilly is NHL ready.

Let me keep it simple, between this year and last year, Liljegren has shown he is a good prospect but he is not ready for the NHL. Really starting to get frustrated when people talk as if they watch Liljegren and they don't

Here is great writeup on Lilly (and I encourage everyone to read it): Timothy Liljegren: Evaluating his development 18 months after his draft selection | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I look forward to TSN/Sportsnet using the expansion draft as the next sky is falling in Toronto narrative. After we keep all our forwards, despite cap geniuses like Gord "I just got a text" Miller saying we cant. Once through that storm, one of these morons will start a "the leafs are either losing Marner or Nylander or they have to pay Seattle to take someone else.

Its like clockwork with these imbeciles

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson, Kadri, Reilly, Dermott, Oz, Andersen.

I would leave Zaitsev unprotected, opportunity to rid yourself of his contract if he doesn't improve. If he does until then, replace Oz with him. But I like Oz been a good player so far. Will only get better with repetition and learning NA game.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Based on the LV expansion draft

Protected Lists

* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:
a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender
b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender
* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Seven forwards, three defencmen, one goalie

1. Matthews
  2. Marner
  3. Tavares
  4. Nylander
  5. Kadri
  6. Crosby
  7. Kapaneen
  1. Rielly
  2. Zaitsev
  3. Dermott
  1. Andersen

Nice :DD

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I look forward to TSN/Sportsnet using the expansion draft as the next sky is falling in Toronto narrative. After we keep all our forwards, despite cap geniuses like Gord "I just got a text" Miller saying we cant. Once through that storm, one of these morons will start a "the leafs are either losing Marner or Nylander or they have to pay Seattle to take someone else.

All the likes.

Reactions: Walshy7

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
As it stands the best player we stand to lose is either Hyman or Zaitsev. Not really the end of the world.

We could even work out a deal to keep Hyman and take Zaitsev's contract if we were so inclined.

Everyone who deserves protecting will be.

Hyman will be a UFA so no need to protect. Zaitsev may be worth his deal so either trade him or find a way to protect him. I am thinking because of cap constraints he would be moved or left unprotected as Reilly's deal will be expiring in 21-22. Johnsson or Grundstrom will need to be exposed so one assumes they will be dealing either unless maybe Willie or Kappy is dealt.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Our roster could be so dramatically different im not going to worry about this for another 2 years

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie,
A lot of hockey from now to then.

Okay, so players age 28 and above are going to be 31 years old?

Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, 2 of unknown players could be signed players, a prospect that's come up
Rielly, 2 of Dermott/Liljegren/Sandin/unknown
Andersen

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie,
A lot of hockey from now to then.

Okay, so players age 28 and above are going to be 31 years old?

Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, 2 of unknown players could be signed players, a prospect that's come up
Rielly, 2 of Dermott/Liljegren/Sandin/unknown
Andersen
I think it is a safe bet that they are going to let Sandin's ELC slide another year and keep him in the AHL all next year then he won't take up a protection slot.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

It's almost like they need to generate fake controversies to get people to tune in. #pardontheinterruptionandotherterriblecraplikethat

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think it is a safe bet that they are going to let Sandin's ELC slide another year and keep him in the AHL all next year then he won't take up a protection slot.

I think ULF was looking at the Leafs expected lineup going into the X draft based on which players are likely to be retained from the current roster.

Lilly and Sandin must have more than two pro years before they need to be protected and seasons where they are 18 or 19 are not considered against those two years. Both players could start in the NHL as early as next season and would only have the two pro years when the draft happens. I don't see either having a real shot at making the club next season though.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
go on cap friendly.,

You do know this to be true. Go on cap friendly to confirm. Brownie will long gone and Hyman resigned or not as a UFA. It will be between Grundstrom and Johnsson unless they add a new asset from outside their system.
I didn’t realize that cap friendly predicted the future that Brown will be long gone. He might, he might be kept to meet the exposure requirement. I don’t know what will happen. Don’t forget, in addition to the 7-3-1 format teams must have the following on their roster to be exposed:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list

Chance the dates to coincide with the new draft.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I didn’t realize that cap friendly predicted the future that Brown will be long gone. He might, he might be kept to meet the exposure requirement. I don’t know what will happen. Don’t forget, in addition to the 7-3-1 format teams must have the following on their roster to be exposed:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list

I just assumed Brown will not be re-signed. He doesn't look like he would be worth requalifying off of $2.1M but they might re-up if he will take 4th line money. I think he gets dealt before his contract is up and they will have signed cheaper UFAs for the exposure requirement. Maybe even Gauthier is still around, but you are right about Brown. If he doesn't get his scoring back (and may have zero opportunity with the deeper lineup) then there won't be a lot of interest at him for $2M where he is a nice get at half that.

Last edited:

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
There is a possibility that ,by that time, Kadri will not be protected...He'll be 31 going into the last year of his contract and a lot can happen in the 2-1/2 years between now and then...I see the big 4 and Kapanen , Rielly , Dermott and Andersen protected and even Freddy will be 32 and a UFA so that isn't even 100% that he'll be signed...As I said a lot can happen in 2-1/2 years ...It will be interesting to see who they protect beyond those 7 skaters.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
We're honestly set up so well for this again.

Looks like sandin and lilly are exempt. Like worst case scenario we lose brown.

Resigning Hyman after the draft is probably the plan as well.
Andersen too, we can definitely get by this expansion draft with minimal damage. Probably going to lose a guy like Brown or Zaitsev if either is still around.
Matthews Marner Nylander JT Kadri Kap AJ/open slot
Dermott Rielly Zaitsev/new incoming D man
Sparks
Hyman & Andersen “protected” as they’re impending UFA’s
Liljegren Sandin and Korshkov look to be exempt. Looking at guys like the Goat, Grundy, Marchment Ennis & Brown replacements up front and guys like Holl Marincin Oz or Zaitsev on the back end, then probably a goalie like MacAdam being the pieces dangled.
We’re almost in as good a shape this time as we were last time.

Last edited:
Reactions: my name is Bob

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Andersen too, we can definitely get by this expansion draft with minimal damage. Probably going to lose a guy like Brown or Zaitsev if either is still around.
Matthews Marner Nylander JT Kadri Kap AJ/open slot
Dermott Rielly Zaitsev/new incoming D man
Sparks
Hyman & Andersen “protected” as they’re impending UFA’s
Liljegren Sandin and Korshkov look to be exempt. Looking at guys like the Goat, Grundy, Marchment Ennis & Brown replacements up front and guys like Holl Marincin Oz or Zaitsev on the back end, then probably a goalie like MacAdam being the pieces dangled.
We’re almost in as good a shape this time as we were last time.
If Andersen wants an extension before that though, I have no problem leaving sparks unprotected. There'd be more attractive goalie options exposed I'm sure

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
In a way our team benefits from being forward heavy rather than defense heavy when it comes to the expansion draft.

We could even go 8 forwards and two defense depending on how management feels about Zaitsev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad