Seattle expansion draft

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Maybe we can have Seattle take Marleau to reach the cap floor along with a pick to buy him out and resign him ?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I see the athletic posted an article on who we should protect in the draft. Anyone have a subscription who wants to share their list?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
I see the athletic posted an article on who we should protect in the draft. Anyone have a subscription who wants to share their list?
Forwards
  1. Matthews
  2. Tavares
  3. Marner
  4. Nylander
  5. Kadri
  6. Sixth-best forward (likely Kapanen)
  7. Seventh-best forward (likely Johnsson)
Defence
  1. Rielly
  2. Dermott
  3. Third-best defencemen (possibly Gardiner, Zaitsev or a player acquired via trade or free agency)
Goaltender
  1. The starter moving forward (possibly Andersen, Sparks or player acquired via trade or free agency)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Expansion draft takes place after:
2018-2019
2019-2020
2020-2021

So all players will be 3 years older.
Some players in their prime will be out of their prime.
Current rookies would be 3rd. year pros.
Current hotshots could be out of favor.
Current struggling players could have found it.
Late 20's will be early 30's.

It is very possible someone like Kapanen or Johnsson could be in the top 5 for the Leafs.
Could even be something like this for the top 7:
Tavares (NMC), Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Johnson, Hyman.

Way to soon to know are going to be 5-7 on the team.
Best 3 defenders could be: Rielly, Dermott, Pietrangelo (NMC).

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Can I point out that the 3 guys we were worried about losing in the Vegas draft...are no longer here?

In the end it's likely not going to matter.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I honestly don't think the Leafs will be in any trouble when it comes to that expansion draft. Come 3 years from not our team will look so much different and some players may be gone anyway.

Really a moot point to be planning for an expansion draft that is taking place 3 years from now.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
We seem like a team ripe for the picking.
Pun intended

Think we are going to lose draft picks to ensure we keep unprotected players.
Nope, we won't lose anyone big, we're set up very well for the draft.

Maybe lose Connor brown or something, which isn't much in the grand scheme.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Do we know for sure that Andersen will be here come that draft? How about Kadri? How about Nylander? How about Kapanen? How about Zaitsev? Or Gardiner? Or Johnsson?

The only 5 players that I see the Leafs having for sure are Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Reilly and Dermott. After that its a crapshoot. Others will go, others will come. Long time away.

Reactions: Loosie

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Can I point out that the 3 guys we were worried about losing in the Vegas draft...are no longer here?

In the end it's likely not going to matter.

We’re going to be in a bit of a different situation with a core of players entering their prime, and we’ll want cheap talent around the edges contributing depth. Before we only had a handful of eligible players we needed to hold onto. We could end up losing a member of that cheap talent around the edges, and given those types of players sometimes go on to be really good players when moved to a team with an opportunity, we could end up wondering how we were so silly to let player X go.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Do we know for sure that Andersen will be here come that draft? How about Kadri? How about Nylander? How about Kapanen? How about Zaitsev? Or Gardiner? Or Johnsson?

The only 5 players that I see the Leafs having for sure are Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Reilly and Dermott. After that its a crapshoot. Others will go, others will come. Long time away.

We’ll have Kadri and Nylander.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Who could the Maple Leafs lose to Seattle in the 2021 expansion draft? – The Athletic

Who would that expose?

A lot can change obviously. As James noted, the Leafs could bring in a defenceman, which might then expose someone like Dermott to Seattle. And we do expect one of the forwards to be dealt; if it’s Kerfoot or Kapanen, Johnsson may slide into one of the final spots.

In light of all that, the two best players the Leafs will likely expose to Seattle are Justin Holl and Pierre Engvall.

In either case, that’s a more significant loss than 2017, when the Leafs lost Brendan Leipsic to Vegas. He played six games for the Leafs during the 30th place 2015-16 season, a non-entity really.

With Holl or Engvall – or someone else – you’re talking about either a top-nine(ish) forward, or a top-four defenceman.

That hurts your depth a lot more than in 2017, when the Leafs were protecting players like Matt Martin and Connor Carrick.

The expansion draft rules require that teams expose two forwards under contract for 2021-22 who have either 40 games played in 2020-21 or 70 games in the two previous seasons. Engvall would count for one, and the Leafs will likely need to get another under contract. Maybe that’s reason to give Frederik Gauthier, an RFA after this season, a two-year contract.

Holl would fill the exposure needs on defence as the fourth defenceman after Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott. And, James, you already touched on the goalie question, which gets more complex if the Leafs re-sign Andersen before next summer.

Other possibilities for Seattle

Kyle Clifford
Jeremy Bracco
Adam Brooks
Denis Malgin
Kenny Agostino
Jason Spezza
Frederik Gauthier

Notables who are exempt from the expansion draft

Nick Robertson
Ilya Mikheyev
Rasmus Sandin
Mikko Lehtonen
Timothy Liljegren
Alexander Barabanov
Yegor Korshkov
Joseph Woll

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
There's a chance that the right handed Holl at $2M AAV is deemed more valuable than Dermott. Dermott's probably being passed by Sandin on the left side depth chart by the summer of 2021. Plus there's Lehtonen added to the mix. Actually the more I think about it, Dermott's very likely to be dealt sooner than later.

Deal Dermott for a right side defender, exempt from the expansion draft would be ideal but unlikely.

Another possibility would be to deal Dermott to Seattle before the draft for futures (and/or a player picked from another organization) and a promise to pick a specific player.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
There's a chance that the right handed Holl at $2M AAV is deemed more valuable than Dermott. Dermott's probably being passed by Sandin on the left side depth chart by the summer of 2021. Plus there's Lehtonen added to the mix. Actually the more I think about it, Dermott's very likely to be dealt sooner than later.

Deal Dermott for a right side defender, exempt from the expansion draft would be ideal but unlikely.

Another possibility would be to deal Dermott to Seattle before the draft for futures (and/or a player picked from another organization) and a promise to pick a specific player.

I think Seattle would rather just pick Dermott for free in that case.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think Seattle would rather just pick Dermott for free in that case.

Not necessarily if threat is that you'd protect Dermott over Holl. But yes, there's a bit of hole here. The Leafs aren't in much of a bargaining position here. They're losing a defenseman (unless Seattle has no interest in Holl) either way. It's a tough measure. Holl's a 3rd pairing RHD who's a marginal 2nd pairing making a mere $2M AAV. Dermott's still got full 2nd pairing potential but from a larger pool of left side defensemen.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I kinda wonder if muzz is exposed now. 5.6 is substantial given the constraints of a flat cap.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I kinda wonder if muzz is exposed now. 5.6 is substantial given the constraints of a flat cap.

Maybe. We never know what kind of 2020-21 seasons these players will have. Things can change. Vets can decline. Long term injuries can occur.

Let's just say by some stroke of luck and opportunity Holl ends up performing to the level of an average 2nd pairing right side defender. While Holl isn't a better defenseman than certain other defensemen on the Leafs, he's got the best cost-to-value-of-the-performance ratio on the Leafs' defense for anyone not on an ELC.

Reactions: qqaz

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

We would have to see a considerable jump in quality from Dermott or Sandin to even consider it.

I mean we might lose Rielly soon too. Muzz is one of the few sure things on this team right now.

Reactions: qqaz and ACC1224

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
We would have to see a considerable jump in quality from Dermott or Sandin to even consider it.

I mean we might lose Rielly soon too. Muzz is one of the few sure things on this team right now.

I guess my thought is it would/could be to retain rielly. Muzz has a full NTC when we need to extend him. That 5 million might be spent better elsewhere

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad