Seattle expansion draft

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Hyman will be a UFA so no need to protect. Zaitsev may be worth his deal so either trade him or find a way to protect him. I am thinking because of cap constraints he would be moved or left unprotected as Reilly's deal will be expiring in 21-22. Johnsson or Grundstrom will need to be exposed so one assumes they will be dealing either unless maybe Willie or Kappy is dealt.

I don't think Grundstrom will have to be protected. If he's up by then he'll be a first or second year player which would make him exempt.
All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
The biggest cap liability at the time gets exposed. If it were to happen at the end of this season, Ziatsev and Marleau get exposed.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't think Grundstrom will have to be protected. If he's up by then he'll be a first or second year player which would make him exempt.

The exemption is for pro seasons, not just NHL.

All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
A year of professional experience is 10 professional games played under a NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs. For players who are aged 18 or 19* (on Sept. 15th of a given season), those specifically have to be NHL games. Everybody else it can be any league, as long as it’s under an NHL contract.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The exemption is for pro seasons, not just NHL.

All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
A year of professional experience is 10 professional games played under a NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs. For players who are aged 18 or 19* (on Sept. 15th of a given season), those specifically have to be NHL games. Everybody else it can be any league, as long as it’s under an NHL contract.

Is that correct? Nylander played 2 years in the AHL and 1 year in the NHL prior to the Las Vegas expansion draft in June 2017. He was not on our list of protected players and all the sources I checked say he was exempt despite having more than two years pro experience.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Is that correct? Nylander played 2 years in the AHL and 1 year in the NHL prior to the Las Vegas expansion draft in June 2017. He was not on our list of protected players and all the sources I checked say he was exempt despite having more than two years pro experience.
His first year in the AHL did not count because he was under the age of 20 when starting the season.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
In a way our team benefits from being forward heavy rather than defense heavy when it comes to the expansion draft.

We could even go 8 forwards and two defense depending on how management feels about Zaitsev.
It’s either 7-3-1 or 8-1. 8-1 is offered if you prefer your 4th d-man to your 5th forward.

Reactions: IBeL34f

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I don’t understand the reason why do we need to protect Hyman over someone like Johnsson who clearly has more to his game than just skating around.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I don’t understand the reason why do we need to protect Hyman over someone like Johnsson who clearly has more to his game than just skating around.

Lots of replacements for Hyman from the Marlies will be ready to replace him by then anyways.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
There was a good article in the athletic today about the expansion draft. Essentially the protection order is obvious:

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Kadri
6th best F (likely Kapanen)
7th best F (likely Johnsson)

*Hyman with a handshake deal to sign after the expansion draft

Rielly
Dermott
X

Sparks/other G acquired via trade/FA

*Andersen with a handshake deal to sign after the expansion draft

Now, in the model the Leafs will be set to lose Grundstrom most likely (assuming Brown is a cap casualty).

The interesting part of the article basically said that Dubas can be cut-throat here. The intentions with Gardiner would be to sign him long term at a reduced cap hit, but no NMC (comparables like McDonagh didnt get one). 3 years into his long term deal Sandin/Lily will likely be ready for top 4 D, so expose him in the draft and pay Seattle to take him (if needed) and essentially get Gardiner on a 3year low cap deal.

Or alternatively, do the same with Zaitsev if he is still on the team.

Reactions: Eb

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
There was a good article in the athletic today about the expansion draft. Essentially the protection order is obvious:

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Kadri
6th best F (likely Kapanen)
7th best F (likely Johnsson)

*Hyman with a handshake deal to sign after the expansion draft

Rielly
Dermott
X

Sparks/other G acquired via trade/FA

*Andersen with a handshake deal to sign after the expansion draft

Now, in the model the Leafs will be set to lose Grundstrom most likely (assuming Brown is a cap casualty).

The interesting part of the article basically said that Dubas can be cut-throat here. The intentions with Gardiner would be to sign him long term at a reduced cap hit, but no NMC (comparables like McDonagh didnt get one). 3 years into his long term deal Sandin/Lily will likely be ready for top 4 D, so expose him in the draft and pay Seattle to take him (if needed) and essentially get Gardiner on a 3year low cap deal.

Or alternatively, do the same with Zaitsev if he is still on the team.
I don't think handshake deals will fly with the players, they want guarantees

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think we are in good shape. As long as Liljegren and Sandin don't play over 10 games this season they will not be eligible, so I think we can probably rule out them finishing this season up here. Hyman is a UFA that summer so he won't need to protection.

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Kadri
Kapanen
Johnsson/Grundstrom

Reilly
Dermott
?

Andersen (if re-signed early)

coachbob59

Feb 13, 2018
1 Matthews
2 Marner
3 Tavares
4 Nylander
5 Kadri
6 Kapanen
7 Johnsson

8 Reilly
9 Dermott
10 acquired defensemen (1920-2021) thru trade or UFA after Marleau's contract is done
(if a trade is made....possibly a combination of some or all of Zaitsev, Brown and Lily are gone)

11 Sparks or backup at the time

Gardiner could sign a 2 year deal this summer so that he becomes a UFA at the draft and not need protection equally as Andersen and Hyman. These three could be resigned after the draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad