Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 4

Beerad

Aug 18, 2018
Edmonton
I think they’ll have a lot of non renewals this year, regardless of how they do in the covid cup. With the economy even worse and people afraid to attend games when it’s ok’d it’ll be a tough go.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
Received the email the other day from Oilers, states that you can get a full refund up to a week after next season is announced. Wonder what the renewal rate is this year?

I am surprised they offered this but I am glad they did! I can't see there being fans allowed in the stands for a while so I'm curious how the renewal will work.

Beerad

Aug 18, 2018
Edmonton
I am surprised they offered this but I am glad they did! I can't see there being fans allowed in the stands for a while so I'm curious how the renewal will work.

they’re holding onto hope that fans will be back in the stands when next season starts, wishful thinking.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Any word on what is going on with IIHF WJC?

Curious to see if it gets off the ground, whether it’s still in the norther/central Alberta region and if not, does Edmonton get another tourney in a couple of years?

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
The Oilers want us to pay in full by Sept 10 for next season...a season that might not even have fans...how does that make any sense

G Unit

Apr 8, 2016
I’m going to go out on a limb here, and guess that the Oilers early exit from the play-in round of the COVID playoffs is not going to help the already weak season ticket sales

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I’m going to go out on a limb here, and guess that the Oilers early exit from the play-in round of the COVID playoffs is not going to help the already weak season ticket sales

I don't know of anyone in my personal life that is renewing, multiple 10+ year holders. Zero benefit to being a STH going forward.

Honestly it's sad, not something I'm happy to hear.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I don't know of anyone in my personal life that is renewing, multiple 10+ year holders. Zero benefit to being a STH going forward.

Honestly it's sad, not something I'm happy to hear.

I don’t think the Oilers are in world of hurt but I do think they need to continue to appreciate their STH like they began to last year.

Keep the discounts.
Maybe more Oiler bucks.
Keep the tours and start including Oilers dressing room.
Keep the option to buy available seats at STH prices.

Their attendance might soften but I think that will drain out all the people who have bought seats thinking it’s an easy buck on the secondary market. Which means you’ll see less people trying to sell their tickets for 1/10th of the price.

And if revenues struggle I think it’ll mean less money for revenue sharing down south. Which I am more than okay with.

Reducing prices, especially for those staying on, should also be a priority.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
I don’t think the Oilers are in world of hurt but I do think they need to continue to appreciate their STH like they began to last year.

Keep the discounts.
Maybe more Oiler bucks.
Keep the tours and start including Oilers dressing room.
Keep the option to buy available seats at STH prices.

Their attendance might soften but I think that will drain out all the people who have bought seats thinking it’s an easy buck on the secondary market. Which means you’ll see less people trying to sell their tickets for 1/10th of the price.

And if revenues struggle I think it’ll mean less money for revenue sharing down south. Which I am more than okay with.

Reducing prices, especially for those staying on, should also be a priority.

Pretty much they need to provide as much incentive as possible to retain and get new STH's. Especially when you can find tickets cheaper than STH cost for pretty much every game of the season aside from the select few (Leafs, Canadiens, Bruins, Penguins, Flames).

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Especially when you can find tickets cheaper than STH cost for pretty much every game of the season aside from the select few (Leafs, Canadiens, Bruins, Penguins, Flames).

Like I said, I think those buying options go down as more STHers leave. The ones that stay are the ones that use the tickets or have a group that uses them.
I might be wrong but believe that the people selling their tickets at pennies on the dollar will be the first to jump ship.

Reactions: G Unit

G Unit

Apr 8, 2016
Like I said, I think those buying options go down as more STHers leave. The ones that stay are the ones that use the tickets or have a group that uses them.
I might be wrong but believe that the people selling their tickets at pennies on the dollar will be the first to jump ship.

I think you’re wrong on this...STH were not selling the game tickets that they couldn’t use so cheaply the last few years because they chose too...the reality is that there is less and less desire for the majority of games as the losing years have continued..combine that with a downturn in the economy, and you’ve arrived at the current state where less folks were renewing even BEFORE the pandemic. No one knows what this next season will look like in terms of how much of the public will be allowed to attend games (if any), when the season will run, bubble or business as usual? ...even if the public is invited back how many are going to be anxious to crowd into arenas again in a pre-vaccine world? ....so many unknowns....and in the midst of all this, do you really think that resale value on seats is going to improve, because the previous STH who were selling games for “pennies on the dollar” will no longer be around to lower the value? ...I think that’s a serious, serious stretch to say the least, lol

Reactions: Cam98 and Simby

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think you’re wrong on this...STH were not selling the game tickets that they couldn’t use so cheaply the last few years because they chose too...the reality is that there is less and less desire for the majority of games as the losing years have continued..combine that with a downturn in the economy, and you’ve arrived at the current state where less folks were renewing even BEFORE the pandemic. No one knows what this next season will look like in terms of how much of the public will be allowed to attend games (if any), when the season will run, bubble or business as usual? ...even if the public is invited back how many are going to be anxious to crowd into arenas again in a pre-vaccine world? ....so many unknowns....and in the midst of all this, do you really think that resale value on seats is going to improve, because the previous STH who were selling games for “pennies on the dollar” will no longer be around to lower the value? ...I think that’s a serious, serious stretch to say the least, lol

Depends how many STH’s they lose and how the team does. Next year may be a write off, but going forward, assuming the virus is in the rear view mirror for 21-22, and STH’s have dropped to say around 10K due to various factors, mainly economic, etc, there will be less tickets offered on the resale market simply due to the decrease in supply, and an increase in demand with 6k former STH’s added to the occasional game buyers list. Assuming the Oilers single game ticket price won’t change much, if the team does well should be a decent demand for the fewer resale tickets that are being offered.

Last edited:

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

Thanks for the response.

I don’t disagree with much of what you are saying but you seem to miss my point.

I believe that the people who will be returning as STHers will be people who use their seats. Those that bought seats so they could resell them are probably drying up - because the secondary market is too competitive to make a dollar on it.

People with groups (family, friends) or companies who use the seats they buy and aren’t looking to make a 25% markup, who - and this is important - still enjoy going will be back. I plan to be back.

All it means is that I don’t imagine the market will be flooded with people selling their $80 seats for $20.

Some, sure. But not like in years past.

That’s all I said.

I’ve been wrong before. Let’s see what happens.

Reactions: G Unit and Simby

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Depends how many STH’s they lose and how the team does. Next year may be a write off, but going forward, assuming the virus is in the rear view mirror for 21-22, and STH’s have dropped to say around 10K due to various factors, mainly economic, etc, there will be less tickets offered on the resale market simply due to the decrease in supply, and an increase in demand with 6k former STH’s added to the occasional game buyers list. Assuming the Oilers single game ticket price won’t change much, if the team dies well should be a decent demand for the fewer resale tickets that are being offered.
I’d imagine they are losing a lot of STH for next year, but not even STH alone, a tonne of fans like myself who buy 5-10 games a year in the past. The Resale market is going to be horrific also. Some of the issues they have to work through is, 1. Even with a Vaccine it’s going to take so much time for people to get access being the general public, and even then the “fear” is going to linger. 2. This team once again technically didn’t make playoffs, and has literally no cap to make any sort of splash to excite the fanbase. The league can not afford to play an entire season with no fans or half capacity at best. They probably don’t want to cancel the season either completely. I could definitely see them do a bubble again come Feb/March next year and do a 31 team bracket playoff that lasts a couple months with no fans.

Crazy times but I am assuming most have to give deposits to the team with a very high chance that at best they maybe get to attend a game next year, but it being very likely there will still be no vaccine available to general public till mid year at best.

I’m not even factoring that the economy was bad and had an effect on sales in Edmonton last year, now it’s cratered.

Reactions: G Unit

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I’d imagine they are losing a lot of STH for next year, but not even STH alone, a tonne of fans like myself who buy 5-10 games a year in the past. The Resale market is going to be horrific also. Some of the issues they have to work through is, 1. Even with a Vaccine it’s going to take so much time for people to get access being the general public, and even then the “fear” is going to linger. 2. This team once again technically didn’t make playoffs, and has literally no cap to make any sort of splash to excite the fanbase. The league can not afford to play an entire season with no fans or half capacity at best. They probably don’t want to cancel the season either completely. I could definitely see them do a bubble again come Feb/March next year and do a 31 team bracket playoff that lasts a couple months with no fans.

Crazy times but I am assuming most have to give deposits to the team with a very high chance that at best they maybe get to attend a game next year, but it being very likely there will still be no vaccine available to general public till mid year at best.

I’m not even factoring that the economy was bad and had an effect on sales in Edmonton last year, now it’s cratered.

Valid points.

I believe that as long as this team is closer to what it was before the interruption the secondary market will not be the bloodbath you seem to paint it as.

Less STH supply should buoy the resale prices.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Ya, that’s why I mentioned that next year may be basically a write off, and was focusing on 21-22 season and going forward. So many unknowns, it really is hard to predict what will happen.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
Anyone talk to the Oilers lately and question why we have to pay for a full year of tickets when it's highly unlikely we will have fans in the stands this season?

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
Response from Oilers regarding payments.

"You will be notified prior to your first payment date and at that time can choose whether or not you would like to defer your payment, so stay tuned to your email. As mentioned below, your first payment would not be slated to come out until December. We will update everyone on the season and payment plans as we know more and at this time, we do not have any answers, but will defer payments as long as we can!"

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Response from Oilers regarding payments.

"You will be notified prior to your first payment date and at that time can choose whether or not you would like to defer your payment, so stay tuned to your email. As mentioned below, your first payment would not be slated to come out until December. We will update everyone on the season and payment plans as we know more and at this time, we do not have any answers, but will defer payments as long as we can!"

Any word on the upcoming WJC here in Edmonton?

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Did not ask as I did not / will not buy tickets for WJC.

Wont lie. I didn’t either but am curious just for the fact it affects so many other things if it indeed is held here. Especially if it includes fans (and no, I don’t expect that to happen...)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad