Prospect Info: Samuel Fagemo, RW, 50th Overall

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Just have to keep some perspective here. Fagemo is almost 20, and a 2nd year pro playing against a fair amount of 17 and 18 year olds who are junior players. It makes a difference at this age. It's nice to see him doing so well.
I disagree about this, regulate. Yes there are 17 & 18 year olds over there but its called wjc-20 for reason. 19 year olds excel and so is he. He is not some kind of overager. Many 2000 born players are present.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I disagree about this, regulate. Yes there are 17 & 18 year olds over there but its called wjc-20 for reason. 19 year olds excel and so is he. He is not some kind of overager. Many 2000 born players are present.

Put it this way...if Fagemo was #1 LW on Kopi's line THIS SEASON, he would have 8-11 goals right now...to Iafallo's 6...and Iafallo would have 1-3 goals on Team Sweden right now, in the WJC. Players like Wagner and Luff wouldn't even make U20 Team Sweden - and not because of their age...becasuse they would not be good enough.

Last edited:

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Went to the game
Put it this way...if Fagemo was #1 LW on Kopi's line THIS SEASON, he would have 8-11 goals right now...to Iafallo's 6...and Iafallo would have 1-3 goals on Team Sweden right now, in the WJC. Players like Wagner and Luff wouldn't even make U20 Team Sweden - and not because of their age...becasuse they would not be good enough.

You know it's bad when you have to see these guys on a nightly basis. Hopefully our young kids will filter these players out one day.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Went to the game

You know it's bad when you have to see these guys on a nightly basis. Hopefully our young kids will filter these players out one day.

Truly...what's a bit mind boggling, the college free agents - Walker, Iafallo, Lizotte, AND the fringe free agents; Frk and 7th round picks; Roy and player from the KHL;
Prokhorkin (even though he was a 4th rd pick more than a half decade ago)....have all been better than ANY King draft pick of the last 5 years....at least at the moment.

However, picks from the past 3 drafts will soon change this. But such a black hole of nothing from the past several drafts. Should keep Frk up...if and when Lewis comes back and if they send Frk back down
(or scratch Pro) I will throw things.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Players like Wagner and Luff wouldn't even make U20 Team Sweden - and not because of their age...becasuse they would not be good enough.

:facepalm: 22 years old 3rd year pro/NHLer wouldn't make U20 team? I'm not sure are you a troll or just don't know a shit about juniorhockey. Difference between 18-19 years old WJC-level player and even fringe NHLer is huge.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Truly...what's a bit mind boggling, the college free agents - Walker, Iafallo, Lizotte, AND the fringe free agents; Frk and 7th round picks; Roy and player from the KHL;
Prokhorkin (even though he was a 4th rd pick more than a half decade ago)....have all been better than ANY King draft pick of the last 5 years....at least at the moment.

However, picks from the past 3 drafts will soon change this. But such a black hole of nothing from the past several drafts. Should keep Frk up...if and when Lewis comes back and if they send Frk back down

Oh I've broken a few things before watching some of our mentioned players I feel ya. :DD

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Matt Roy and Wagner were from the draft 5 years ago;
There's a world of difference between 18-20 year olds and 21 in terms of growth and experience, even UDFA who took the college route, so it's no surprise that 25-year-old Walker is more prepared;
Prokhorkin and Frk are 26 years old;

Saying it's mind-boggling that those guys are here when the vast majority of the others are still in juniors is weird. And you're calling the following a black hole of nothing:
Roy, Wagner, Cernak, Clague, Moverare, Hults, Phillips, Anderson, Villalta, JAD, Vilardi, Ingham, Sodergran, Hrenak, Dudas, Shafigullin, Thomas, Kupari, Nousiainen, Spence, Parik, Fagemo, Kaliyev, Bjornfot, Turcotte.

It's not at all surprising to me that most of those guys aren't on the roster as of yet, and while some of the guys that are are a surprise, it's a pleasant surprise, not an indictment of drafting. The number of 18-20 year olds in the NHL is incredibly small and especially so for organizations that don't rush prospects.

Frankly your issue is with the Lewis's of the world, not the Prokhorkins and even Wagners. But I think even that will be solved by this deadline.

Edit: here's the list of 18-20 year olds and why it's no surprise. Guys in parentheses have gotten less than half games:
2001 bday: Three regulars--Hughes, Kakko, Dach. (Bjornfot, Heinola have gotten a taste).
2000 bday: Four regulars--Kotkaniemi, Dahlin, Svechnikov, Farabee. (Dobson, Sandin, Gustafsson, Hayton, Wahlstrom, Boqvist have gotten a taste)
1999 bday: Twelve regulars--Hughes, Tkachuk, Texier, Chytil, Brannstrom, Suzuki, Heiskanen, Thomas, Jokiharju, Glass, Necas, Comtois, Hischier. Only 5 have played all their teams games. 10 more have gotten a cup of coffee.

We have this expectation that tons of guys jump right into the NHL but as I've pointed out before it's usually after 21 when guys break through--as they are typically finishing first year or so of college and last year of so or junior and/or one year of professional hockey at home or overseas. There were only 19 18-20 year old regulars so far this season--there are 23 21-year-old regulars, and an additional 28 who have gotten cups of coffee.

Just to be clear I'm not coming down on you personally, it's just about the idea that often we talk about kids taking over the roster sooner rather than later and it sucks but we just have to be patient so we don't wreck them--and the truly high end guys that could have broken through got hurt (Vilardi) or went to college and still need man strength anyway (Turcotte).

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Matt Roy and Wagner were from the draft 5 years ago;
There's a world of difference between 18-20 year olds and 21 in terms of growth and experience, even UDFA who took the college route, so it's no surprise that 25-year-old Walker is more prepared;
Prokhorkin and Frk are 26 years old;

Saying it's mind-boggling that those guys are here when the vast majority of the others are still in juniors is weird. And you're calling the following a black hole of nothing:
Roy, Wagner, Cernak, Clague, Moverare, Hults, Phillips, Anderson, Villalta, JAD, Vilardi, Ingham, Sodergran, Hrenak, Dudas, Shafigullin, Thomas, Kupari, Nousiainen, Spence, Parik, Fagemo, Kaliyev, Bjornfot, Turcotte.

It's not at all surprising to me that most of those guys aren't on the roster as of yet, and while some of the guys that are are a surprise, it's a pleasant surprise, not an indictment of drafting. The number of 18-20 year olds in the NHL is incredibly small and especially so for organizations that don't rush prospects.

Frankly your issue is with the Lewis's of the world, not the Prokhorkins and even Wagners. But I think even that will be solved by this deadline.

Just to be clear I'm not coming down on you personally, it's just about the idea that often we talk about kids taking over the roster sooner rather than later and it sucks but we just have to be patient so we don't wreck them--and the truly high end guys that could have broken through got hurt (Vilardi) or went to college and still need man strength anyway (Turcotte).

As soon as I hit 'Post Reply', I did regret it. I was reading about Lewis close to returning and just know there's a good chance Frk will be sent down..or Pro possibly sit some. Although I think even Todd knows Pro is worthy
of 13+ minutes a night. I just am tired of seeing Wagner and Luff look like they belong in the AHL, when Grundstrom clearly is better than either of those players, as well as Lewis.

Thank you for posting the list of players in the NHL, that are from the past few drafts. Part of the issue with not having more draftees playing now, was the lack of picks from 2014-16. (2014 they had 10 picks, just a lot of misses)
If they had not traded the picks for Lucic and Sekera, the 2 draftees from those picks would probably be on the team. You're right about seeing changes after the trade deadline...surely 2-4 will be dealt and will begin seeing
some from Ontario up...and come April, players like Thomas, Dudas, possibly Hults (if signed) and possibly Fagemo and Moverare be in Ontario. And Turcotte, if he's signed. I expect to see Grundstrom, Vilardi, JAD and Bjornfot
up for some games.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Frk needs to pass through waivers. If Lewis is ready it will probably be Luff selected to be sent down.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As soon as I hit 'Post Reply', I did regret it. I was reading about Lewis close to returning and just know there's a good chance Frk will be sent down..or Pro possibly sit some. Although I think even Todd knows Pro is worthy
of 13+ minutes a night. I just am tired of seeing Wagner and Luff look like they belong in the AHL, when Grundstrom clearly is better than either of those players, as well as Lewis.

Thank you for posting the list of players in the NHL, that are from the past few drafts. Part of the issue with not having more draftees playing now, was the lack of picks from 2014-16. (2014 they had 10 picks, just a lot of misses)
If they had not traded the picks for Lucic and Sekera, the 2 draftees from those picks would probably be on the team. You're right about seeing changes after the trade deadline...surely 2-4 will be dealt and will begin seeing
some from Ontario up...and come April, players like Thomas, Dudas, possibly Hults (if signed) and possibly Fagemo and Moverare be in Ontario. And Turcotte, if he's signed. I expect to see Grundstrom, Vilardi, JAD and Bjornfot
up for some games.

Believe me, I think we're all on the same page. We all want the new era to start, I just don't want to be the Oilers 2.0 for a decade by rushing guys...like it looks like we've already done to Wagner.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

up for some games.

For the Bold...the reason your not seeing some like Grundstrum up playing with the Kings and someone like Wagner and Luff is because the Kings management wants someone like Grundstrum getting more mins in the AHL than less in the NHL. It won't hurt the development of guys like Luff and Wagner playing limited mins in the bottom6 like it would for Grundstrum.

It definitely sucks seeing lesser skilled guys in the way of our up incoming players, but those wont be in the way for long when management starts to move guys and there is a long list of guys to be moved.

Iafallo
Toffoli
Carter
Lewis
Clifford

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Believe me, I think we're all on the same page. We all want the new era to start, I just don't want to be the Oilers 2.0 for a decade by rushing guys...like it looks like we've already done to Wagner.
I know I’ve been hard (for me) on Wagner recently but he really does seem to be going backwards. One of the things I don’t get is why he plays on his off wing when he seems unable to make or take a pass on his backhand. The worse part of that is he always ends up skating backwards leaving our zone and frequently coughs the puck up on our blue line. I still have major concerns over his IQ also.

What he did well was skate like the wind and was able to put the puck away when he first came up. That scoring burst now looks like an outlier and he is now rarely using his speed to successfully get past teams. Having him with Lizotte and Kempe means the opposition have 3 guys whose speed has to be respected, which effectively creates a bit extra space for Lizotte and Kempe. However, teams will soon start going tight on those 2 and letting Wagner have the puck which will hurt their effectiveness.

I do still think he has some upside but I think he needs AHL minutes to work on things.

Reactions: Vino

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
For the Bold...the reason your not seeing some like Grundstrum up playing with the Kings and someone like Wagner and Luff is because the Kings management wants someone like Grundstrum getting more mins in the AHL than less in the NHL. It won't hurt the development of guys like Luff and Wagner playing limited mins in the bottom6 like it would for Grundstrum.

It definitely sucks seeing lesser skilled guys in the way of our up incoming players, but those wont be in the way for long when management starts to move guys and there is a long list of guys to be moved.

Iafallo
Toffoli
Carter
Lewis
Clifford

That makes sense. They probably see Grundstrom as a possible #2 wing and want to give him minutes and PP time in the AHL. Someone posted a month ago (cannot recall who or even if
it was on this board) that the Kings want to move out 4 or 5 players at the deadline (or at least end of yr?) and begin the transition. Sometimes well meant plans do not come to fruition...
it takes 2 parties to make deals. I really think they do have patience, but once they decide a course - like Kovalchuk - they make plans to follow through. I honestly think Hextall was brought
in to help the transition course. It's funny, I never see him or hear about him much.

Honestly, they have had no qualms about putting inexperienced players in - Iafallo, Fantenberg, Walker, Roy, Wagner, Luff, Lizotte. Although Luff bounces back and forth a lot.
They probably have a plan on a dry - erase board to move in a few of: Vilardi, JAD, Grundstrom, Bjornfot, if 3-4 are moved at the deadline. They have taken it cautious and slow
with Clague and that's good. If Prokhorkin and Frk keep playing well, how can you take them out? Will be interesting to see what happens on the blueline: Forbort? Does he come
up and stay, or possibly traded. Same with Martinez or even Hutton. Although I don't think any playoff team is going to want Hutton. Would seem when Forbort is ready, it will be Clague
going down and that's fine.

2 months from now - this team will probably be 20% different, from the lineup last night.

Back to Fagemo...leading goal scorer in WJC! (and shots)

Reactions: LAKings88

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
That makes sense. They probably see Grundstrom as a possible #2 wing and want to give him minutes and PP time in the AHL. Someone posted a month ago (cannot recall who or even if
it was on this board) that the Kings want to move out 4 or 5 players at the deadline (or at least end of yr?) and begin the transition. Sometimes well meant plans do not come to fruition...
it takes 2 parties to make deals. I really think they do have patience, but once they decide a course - like Kovalchuk - they make plans to follow through. I honestly think Hextall was brought
in to help the transition course. It's funny, I never see him or hear about him much.

Honestly, they have had no qualms about putting inexperienced players in - Iafallo, Fantenberg, Walker, Roy, Wagner, Luff, Lizotte. Although Luff bounces back and forth a lot.
They probably have a plan on a dry - erase board to move in a few of: Vilardi, JAD, Grundstrom, Bjornfot, if 3-4 are moved at the deadline. They have taken it cautious and slow
with Clague and that's good. If Prokhorkin and Frk keep playing well, how can you take them out? Will be interesting to see what happens on the blueline: Forbort? Does he come
up and stay, or possibly traded. Same with Martinez or even Hutton. Although I don't think any playoff team is going to want Hutton. Would seem when Forbort is ready, it will be Clague
going down and that's fine.

2 months from now - this team will probably be 20% different, from the lineup last night.

Back to Fagemo...leading goal scorer in WJC! (and shots)
Of those veteran contracts he Kings wanted out..
#1 was Kovalchuk and thats done
#2 trading Toffoli
#3 trading Martinez
#4 trading Lewis
#5 trading Hutton
thats all is see happening, Clague, Bjornfot and Anderson will all likely get a taste on the big club so Dmen need to go and Toffoli should bring back some value

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
From Mayor's Manor interview of Nelson Emerson on Fagemo. Says a lot of positive things and does not even mention his array of shots and wicked accuracy. One thing that blew me away - the last 2 Fagemo scored, he stopped the puck off passes and didn't one time them...and really not worried about the goalie being set and just rifled those 2 in corners. Many players feel like they have to get it off quickly and depend mostly on needing the goalie to be caught off guard - Samuel has tons of confidence in himself and shot to beat goalies. Yes, you don't have time in the NHL, but he's quick and smart. It has been said that Caufield was the best goal scorer of the draft and Kaliyev next best. Who knows if Caufield really makes a big impact in the NHL. The Kings may end up with the 2 best goal scorers in the draft in Kaliyev and Fagemo.

On Samuel Fagemo, who led all tournament players in goals (8) and points (13):
“Here’s the thing with him, and this is what excites all of us the most, he’s a scorer because of work and tenacity. I was able to watch him in Sweden six weeks ago and came back and told Rob, the excitement that I have when I go watch him is just incredible because he gets after it. As soon as he jumps over the boards, his feet are going and he’s trying to make a difference. He’s in on the pucks, he’s skating, he’s on the forecheck, he tries to get his stick on all the pucks to deflect them and create offense that way. If the play comes back in our own end, he’s back-checking like crazy. He competes and works all over the ice. That’s what makes him a scorer and that’s what’s exciting when you go watch him play; those aspects of his game.”

Last edited:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
wow...reminds me of Austin Wagner...or Trevor Lewis, for that matter. (NOT)
So glad to know there's talent on the way. Both Fagemo and Moverare are having great seasons in Frolunda.
Bring them both over.
Without a doubt... I'd also love to have Shafigullin and Dergachyov but they seemed destined to rot in the KHL...

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Without a doubt... I'd also love to have Shafigullin and Dergachyov but they seemed destined to rot in the KHL...

Maybe they need to make signing Bulat a high priority...did you see this post on lakingsinsider ? (thx to whoever did this)

Small bit of Kings prospect info in Scott Wheeler's article on the Yote's prospects in the Athletic. He's counting down to the top prospect pool, Yotes ranked at #20. Certainly a little more than a hint at what he thinks of Bulat.
"But while he can make a play in a flash and finish a game looking like one of the more dynamic players on the ice, he’s never struck me as an unstoppable force at the MHL level in the same way Bulat Shafigullin (Kings) has this year or Pavel Dorofeyev (Golden Knights) did last year.

Reactions: kings11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad