Prospect Info: Samuel Fagemo, RW, 50th Overall

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Turcotte...Bjornfot...Kaliyev....Fagemo ...Parik....Spence...Nousiainen 7 outstanding picks.

Impressive balance. 3 forwards, 3 defensemen, 1 goalie. Already signed Bjornfot and Fagemo. Parik coming to play for Spokane. Turcotte going to Wisconsin and playing for Granato and will have Caufield there. Can sign him after this year, possibly. Turcotte, Bjornfot and Fagemo will play and all should make an impact. Kaliyev will need 2 more years of CHL and probably a year in Ontario. He does not have character issues - he wants to be better. The Kings staff will get him where he needs to be. May never be a 2-way forward, but they can teach him to be adequate. I say he puts in the work. The system has Hrenak, Ingham and Kehler...but Parik may have higher upside and time will tell. Ranford has a lot of prospects to work with. I like that Parik will be a 2 hour flight away and they can work with him closely. Spence made huge leap last year and this should be an iteresting year for him...Nousiainen is an emerging talent. I am just going off memory and only recall Doyle and Andre Lee from here. Good stories on both of them, too. Longshots of course.

This will be the most interesting prospects year, EVER. Players close to making it this year: Kupari, Anderson-Doyle, Kale Clague, Michael Anderson...and pro career starts for Durzi and Phillips.
And Grundstrom making the Kings. Then there's still CHL veterans like Thomas and Dudas. And IF Vilardi plays at any time, that will be huge. Then keeping tabs on the 9 picks from this draft. '
I love that Bjornfot and Fagemo signed. The Kings control them and they can both be here next year and even compete for spots. Oh, and forgot about Sodergran. He may have a big season too.

GO KINGS, GO!!

Well shit man, now I'm all pumped up with nothing to do but type!

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Well **** man, now I'm all pumped up with nothing to do but type!

I’m pumped as well ! Can’t even decide on a lineup but if we do finish bottom 5 this year and draft one of the elite speedy skilled wingers next year we can ice a ridiculous lineup of talented vets and youth . If Vilardi heals up in next year your looking at

Kempe-Kopitar-Raymond
Grundstrom-Vilardi-Kupari
Prokhorkin-Turcotte-Carter
Wagner-JAD-Brown
Iaffalo

If Vilardi doesn’t heal up and ends up a total bust you still have a ridiculous lineup by moving around some of the players . Real exciting times ahead for Kings fans. You still have Fagemo,Sodergran,Kaliyev,Thomas ... Kovy, Toffoli I don’t even know where to slot Kempe other than 1LW lol. Let’s f***en Go Kings !!!!

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I think some of you are overly optimistic about the abilities and maturity of 18 year olds.
You mean a 19 yr old. That lineup was suggesting 20-21 season. Kaliyev being a top 6 winger on the LA Kings for the 20-21 season, might be overly optimistic in your opinion, but its not a wild position to take. Considering how Kaliyev dominates his age group.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
You mean a 19 yr old. That lineup was suggesting 20-21 season. Kaliyev being a top 6 winger on the LA Kings for the 20-21 season, might be overly optimistic in your opinion, but its not a wild position to take. Considering how Kaliyev dominates his age group.
Kaliyev just turned 18 six weeks ago and will be spending the upcoming season in juniors. There's no guarantee that Turcotte will be leaving Wisconsin after one season or will be ready to jump in the NHL right after college. Lucas Raymond is currently 17 years old, 5'10", 165 lbs.

Sure. Let's go ahead and pencil them in. It's hfboards. Makes perfect sense.

Going into the draft the front office knew these prospects were at least a year or two away. I'm really excited about this draft, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I think some of you are overly optimistic about the abilities and maturity of 18 year olds.

I think most of us are pretty tempered in expectations...they are bot all 18...several are 19 to 20 though and turning pro this year: Anderson-Dolan, Kupari, Michael Anderson, Durzi and Phillips.
No one is penciling any of them in the lineup for this season. I think JAD makes the team. He's in LA training with the pros this Summer. With Leipsic moving on, there may be room for him.

The exciting part is there has never been a single season, in which the Kings are adding:
1. young talent on the Kings: Prokhorkin (26 yrs old) JAD, Grundstrom (possibly Kupari and Clague)
2. adding 4+ to AHL: Michael Anderson, Durzi, Kupari, Phillips, Lizotte (hes 23 tho)
3. having a top Freshman in college: Turcotte (and other collegians Hrenak, Hults, Andre Lee)
4. possibly best CHL crop: Thomas, Dudas, Kaliyev, Parik, Spence, Ingham
5. possibly most talent in terms of number of quality prospects in Europe: Bjornfot, Fagemo, Sodegran, Nousiainen, Moverare

Those are 5 separate areas in the organization that are thriving on a collective basis unlike EVER BEFORE. Will most of them make the NHL? Of course not,
but there is a higher level of quality prospects throughout the organization unlike ever before...and several of these players will be Kings in 1-3 years.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I wasn't talking about anyone other than Kaliyev. Whom i believe is better than multiple wingers on our roster right now. But agreed, Im super high on him, im also super low on the kings current crop of wingers.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Turcotte...Bjornfot...Kaliyev....Fagemo ...Parik....Spence...Nousiainen 7 outstanding picks.

Impressive balance. 3 forwards, 3 defensemen, 1 goalie. Already signed Bjornfot and Fagemo. Parik coming to play for Spokane. Turcotte going to Wisconsin and playing for Granato and will have Caufield there. Can sign him after this year, possibly. Turcotte, Bjornfot and Fagemo will play and all should make an impact. Kaliyev will need 2 more years of CHL and probably a year in Ontario. He does not have character issues - he wants to be better. The Kings staff will get him where he needs to be. May never be a 2-way forward, but they can teach him to be adequate. I say he puts in the work. The system has Hrenak, Ingham and Kehler...but Parik may have higher upside and time will tell. Ranford has a lot of prospects to work with. I like that Parik will be a 2 hour flight away and they can work with him closely. Spence made huge leap last year and this should be an iteresting year for him...Nousiainen is an emerging talent. I am just going off memory and only recall Doyle and Andre Lee from here. Good stories on both of them, too. Longshots of course.

This will be the most interesting prospects year, EVER. Players close to making it this year: Kupari, Anderson-Doyle, Kale Clague, Michael Anderson...and pro career starts for Durzi and Phillips.
And Grundstrom making the Kings. Then there's still CHL veterans like Thomas and Dudas. And IF Vilardi plays at any time, that will be huge. Then keeping tabs on the 9 picks from this draft. '
I love that Bjornfot and Fagemo signed. The Kings control them and they can both be here next year and even compete for spots. Oh, and forgot about Sodergran. He may have a big season too.

GO KINGS, GO!!

And wait el we get Lafreniere!!! Holy jumpin.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Kaliyev just turned 18 six weeks ago and will be spending the upcoming season in juniors. There's no guarantee that Turcotte will be leaving Wisconsin after one season or will be ready to jump in the NHL right after college. Lucas Raymond is currently 17 years old, 5'10", 165 lbs.

Going into the draft the front office knew these prospects were at least a year or two away. I'm really excited about this draft, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Idk honestly with the way the NHL is trending nowadays . What suggested Mcavoy , Carlo , Girard , Sergachev, Debrincat, Chytil , Middlestadt, Point , Cernak , Debrusk , Aho and on and on and on were ready at their age ? They were given the opportunity and succeeded . The prospects who talent should be given the opportunity with ice time and other skilled line mates to show what they got . It’s a young mans game nowadays and the youngsters are performing . The Tkachuck brothers , Meier, Boeser , Konecny the point is these guys have performed and from ages 19-21 some made the jump from Juniors , some from college some from AHL after few games and their are so much more . Kings have some prospects that can make an impact and should be given the opportunity it’s the only way to bring compete and skill back into the lineup and balance the lines . The sooner we bring them in the sooner we will be a better and more exciting team. We have one of the best prospect pools now and can build something special again . Carter , Kopitar , Kovy , Brown can benefit with the injection of youth and slot into correct situations.

Reactions: crassbonanza

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I’m pumped as well ! Can’t even decide on a lineup but if we do finish bottom 5 this year and draft one of the elite speedy skilled wingers next year we can ice a ridiculous lineup of talented vets and youth . If Vilardi heals up in next year your looking at

Kempe-Kopitar-Raymond
Grundstrom-Vilardi-Kupari
Prokhorkin-Turcotte-Carter
Wagner-JAD-Brown
Iaffalo

If Vilardi doesn’t heal up and ends up a total bust you still have a ridiculous lineup by moving around some of the players . Real exciting times ahead for Kings fans. You still have Fagemo,Sodergran,Kaliyev,Thomas ... Kovy, Toffoli I don’t even know where to slot Kempe other than 1LW lol. Let’s ****en Go Kings !!!!

If one thing is guaranteed, it's that we will finish in the bottom 5. This team isn't that good but they need to stay the course. They need another good draft and I am hopeful that they can get some additional assets or picks for some players at the deadline this year.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If one thing is guaranteed, it's that we will finish in the bottom 5. This team isn't that good but they need to stay the course. They need another good draft and I am hopeful that they can get some additional assets or picks for some players at the deadline this year.

Wholeheartedly disagree.

We're gonna blackhole hard. If we don't, that's a reflection on the youth as well.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
If one thing is guaranteed, it's that we will finish in the bottom 5.

I don't think it is guaranteed at all. They are infusing the team with younger talent and have an actual head coach. I actually see the Kings as a bubble team next year, as bad as that outcome would be for some people. The good news is that I trust Blake to stick to his plan at the deadline regardless of the teams position in the standings.

Reactions: lumbergh and jfont

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

None of us work for the Kings, so it doesn’t matter what we type. It’s just for fun, man.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Stumbled on something interesting while reading an article on The Athletic about Dallas' prospects. Sean Tierney and Emmanuel Perry (two big names in the hockey analytics field) combined their work to make a chart that graphs a prospect's estimated Wins Above Replacement over 82 games (WAR/82) versus their Probability of Making the NHL (41 game minimum in a season).

Basically, you want your prospect to be in the top right (i.e. high probability of making it AND having an impact).

Tableau Public

Samuel Fagemo's name pops out nicely there, doesn't it?

Reactions: Nickster

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Stumbled on something interesting while reading an article on The Athletic about Dallas' prospects. Sean Tierney and Emmanuel Perry (two big names in the hockey analytics field) combined their work to make a chart that graphs a prospect's estimated Wins Above Replacement over 82 games (WAR/82) versus their Probability of Making the NHL (41 game minimum in a season).

Basically, you want your prospect to be in the top right (i.e. high probability of making it AND having an impact).

Tableau Public

Samuel Fagemo's name pops out nicely there, doesn't it?

Very nice for Fagemo, also interestingly positive for Walker and Porkins.

RIP Brickley though :laugh:

Edit: as per always, though, their work is extremely biased against 'defensive' players, be they on O or D. As much as they try to stay away from just raw production as a measure of players, the combination of other metrics still skews basically towards that. In other words, if you're not an offensive defenseman, you're trash. See their past work on Doughty for the perfect examples (or Vlasic if you need a more neutral one). Not that it's really their 'fault' per se because those metrics just suck or don't exist right now, but they also fail to acknowledge those possibilities, which is a massive red flag.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

The Kings board in general tend to view 18 year Olds as toddlers for whatever reason when other rookies and younger players in general are scoring at a much higher rate.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
None of us work for the Kings, so it doesn’t matter what we type. It’s just for fun, man.

Honestly with the way the NHL is trending nowadays . What suggested Mcavoy , Carlo , Girard , Sergachev, Debrincat, Chytil , Middlestadt, Point , Cernak , Debrusk , Aho and on and on and on were ready at their age ? They were given the opportunity and succeeded . The prospects who have talent should be given the opportunity with ice time and other skilled line mates to show what they got . It’s a young mans game nowadays and the youngsters are performing . The Tkachuck brothers , Meier, Boeser , Konecny the point is these guys have performed and from ages 19-21 some made the jump from Juniors , some from college some from AHL after few games and there are so much more .

We are to pessimistic on these boards with our prospects . If we don’t integrate our prospects and bring them into the lineup and give them the opportunity they won’t develop the right way . You can’t pencil the youngsters into bottom 6 roles and expect them to make a difference .

If we play our cards right I’m optimistic that we can win a cup again next 5 years . Idk if I’m blinded by my love for this team but I think it would be the right move . This way our experienced vets that aren’t up to par anymore can slot into correct roles down the lineup and give us a balanced lineup .

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Wholeheartedly disagree.

We're gonna blackhole hard. If we don't, that's a reflection on the youth as well.

Agreed . Like I mentioned few times I wouldn’t be surprised if we made the playoffs nor would I be surprised if we finish bottom 5. If Kopi plays to his potential and Carter and Toffoli bounce back even a little and with Tmac bringing in new system and actually being a NHL coach , I think that’s good enough for 10 more wins and that’ll put you in over Colorado last year . I’ve also realized teams are splitting more games between their goalies and hope this is the case for us and Quick isn’t run to the ground . Campbell’s and Petersen’s game is more suited for the modern NHL. I just know we have an opportunity to build something special here . We have prospects with potential that should be given the opportunity to play their roles on the team to bring us another cup.

In reality we should have Kupari , Clague , JAD, Turcotte , Anderson , Petersen , Bjornfot , Fagemo, Sodergran all on the team in next 2-3 years. Just the way the game is played now . I’m loving the drafts idk.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
We should probably pump the brakes on projections for 3 years down the road. Not all or even most of these kids will make it. I remember when JMFJ/Doughty Hickey/Teubert was a thing. I also remember Loktionov, Moller, Holloway, etc. were going to be players.

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Very nice for Fagemo, also interestingly positive for Walker and Porkins.

RIP Brickley though :laugh:

Edit: as per always, though, their work is extremely biased against 'defensive' players, be they on O or D. As much as they try to stay away from just raw production as a measure of players, the combination of other metrics still skews basically towards that. In other words, if you're not an offensive defenseman, you're trash. See their past work on Doughty for the perfect examples (or Vlasic if you need a more neutral one). Not that it's really their 'fault' per se because those metrics just suck or don't exist right now, but they also fail to acknowledge those possibilities, which is a massive red flag.
Projected WAR/60 for Walker is 0.0, meaning he's projected to be as good as a replacement. For a defenseman, that's basically a #6/7. High probability for making it to 41 games in a season because he's already played 39 games in a season.

Agreed about Fagemo, though.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I don't think it is guaranteed at all. They are infusing the team with younger talent and have an actual head coach. I actually see the Kings as a bubble team next year, as bad as that outcome would be for some people. The good news is that I trust Blake to stick to his plan at the deadline regardless of the teams position in the standings.
I see the Kings as a 75-85 point team next season, so black hole territory. Not a bad thing, though. It would mean that the team is improving.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
We should probably pump the brakes on projections for 3 years down the road. Not all or even most of these kids will make it. I remember when JMFJ/Doughty Hickey/Teubert was a thing. I also remember Loktionov, Moller, Holloway, etc. were going to be players.

I don't think anyone every had Teubert penciled in anywhere, everyone was down on that pick from the start. Same for Moller because of size, most thought he was a career AHL'er. Holloway wasn't a thing either, his best season in Juniors was just average.

Only a few of those guys were really hyped, mainly the first 3 on that list. Loktionov to a lesser extent, he was for sure a bit of a disappointment.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I don’t think “tanking” for a year or two more would hurt. We need more depth, more quality. We should have good players emerging even three years from now. Having more good players at key positions than we can use is the only way we will be able to fill any positional holes that inevitably develop due to prospects not hitting projections, players leaving as UFAs and injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad