Prospect Info: Samuel Fagemo, RW, 50th Overall

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Fagemo has kept up his play from last season during the preseason. Drives the net, rushing down the wing and is not afraid to get dirty to score those goals. He's got an engine that never stops. I don't know exactly when your rookie camp start but I believe that he's going to play a couple of games in Champions HL before he travels over the Atlantic.

Goal from today.

The assist on the goal is from Jacob Moverare who's been a really solid presence in our defense this far. I'm seeing him as one of our top defenders this season.

LeonTheKing

Aug 8, 2016
Any reason why is he playing on the 4th line in pre-season games for Frolunda? Line of Lasch - Lundqvist - Fagemo was deadly last year, why they are not playing together again?

Reactions: andys

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Any reason why is he playing on the 4th line in pre-season games for Frolunda? Line of Lasch - Lundqvist - Fagemo was deadly last year, why they are not playing together again?

I don't think you should focus on in which order the lines are presented. Instead of 2 lines stacked with offense, Rönnberg likes to have 4 lines that can score. The line Mustonen - Lundqvist - Friberg is listed as the 1st line, but in function I would call that line the 4th line (or shutdown line), the other 3 lines you have a mixture of defensive players and offensive.

Fagemo will (at the start) play with Sundström, and he is probably a bit rusty since he has had 2 problematic seasons in the KHL (injuries) but he is probably Frölundas best Center once he starts playing to his real potential. Unless everything works out great I wouldn't be surprised to see changes to the lines during the season.

Also, last season he was playing with Hjalmarsson not Lundqvist i.e. the line that was deadly was Fagemo - Hjalmarsson - Lasch.

Last edited:

LeonTheKing

Aug 8, 2016
I don't think you should focus on in which order the lines are presented. Instead of 2 lines stacked with offense, Rönnberg likes to have 4 lines that can score. The line Mustonen - Lundqvist - Friberg is listed as the 1st line, but in function I would call that line the 4th line (or shutdown line), the other 3 lines you have a mixture of defensive players and offensive.

Fagemo will (at the start) play with Sundström, and he is probably a bit rusty since he has had 2 problematic seasons in the KHL (injuries) but he is probably Frölundas best Center once he starts playing to his real potential. Unless everything works out great I wouldn't be surprised to see changes to the lines during the season.

Also, last season he was playing with Hjalmarsson not Lundqvist i.e. the line that was deadly was Fagemo - Hjalmarsson - Lasch.

Thank you for answer!

I'm not focused on lines order at all, it's expected to try a various line-combinations in pre-season games, but when I saw Fagemo on the 4th line in third consecutive game, I just was curious why.

Honestly, I think separating Fagemo from Lasch can really hurt his production. Don't get me wrong, Samuel is a terrific player and you have to be damn good to be on scoresheet so often (especially that play-off performance amazed me), but I have a bad feeling that last season he was in right place at the right time. He got in very comfortable situation in playing at the top line in the very offensive and strong team and now it looks like Rönnberg wants him to ''lead'' his own line, and I think it can hurt his development, because I always saw Fagemo as rather complimentary winger who needs a good playmaker in line.

IMO, he was in an almost-perfect situation last year, however he seized it perfectly, no doubts about it.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Thank you for answer!

I'm not focused on lines order at all, it's expected to try a various line-combinations in pre-season games, but when I saw Fagemo on the 4th line in third consecutive game, I just was curious why.

Honestly, I think separating Fagemo from Lasch can really hurt his production. Don't get me wrong, Samuel is a terrific player and you have to be damn good to be on scoresheet so often (especially that play-off performance amazed me), but I have a bad feeling that last season he was in right place at the right time. He got in very comfortable situation in playing at the top line in the very offensive and strong team and now it looks like Rönnberg wants him to ''lead'' his own line, and I think it can hurt his development, because I always saw Fagemo as rather complimentary winger who needs a good playmaker in line.

IMO, he was in an almost-perfect situation last year, however he seized it perfectly, no doubts about it.

(By the way, I don't know your background, if you are a Frölunda fan, most of what I write below is probably well known)

In parts I agree with you, and in others I don't.

Personally I would put Fagemo with Lasch, as you are suggesting, because I totally agree with you that he is more of an complimentary winger, and works best with a playmaker. I see him quite similar to Arvidsson in Nashville, by himself he probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but his playstyle of always going to the hard areas opens up space and time for the playmakers to do what they do best.

However I do think you are selling Fagemo a bit short. IMO Fagemo did not get the perfect opportunity, for the first half of the season he was bouncing up and down the lineup when Rönnberg shuffled the lines quite frequently. Something that was a constant during this time was that the line with Fagemo was always the best one.
I would also argue the fact that Frölunda was a very "offensive and strong team" because I think Fagemo was a large part of what made it offensively strong. (A lot of Frölunda's forwards are actually what I would call Defensive forwards).

When it comes to Fagemo's production, if the pre-season is an indicator, I think he will be fine, since he averages over a ppg and has had a point in every game of the pre-season so far. Even without playing with Lasch.

I obviously don't know Rönnbergs reason for breaking up the Fagemo - Hjalmarsson - Lasch line, but if I would guess I think there are many small reasons that add up.

First of all, I think Fagemo's uncertain situation with Frölunda might be one reason. When SHL starts, Fagemo will be in the US, participating in the Kings Rookie camp, and quite possibly the main camp as well. And who knows, perhaps he impresses the front office so much that he plays in the NHL? Personally I don't see this as likely, because I think Fagemo will need some more developing before stepping up with the big boys. But this is still something Rönnberg needs to have in mind when forming his lines for the preseason.

Secondly, I think the recruitment of Nicklas Lasu has a part of it. Lasu played in Frölunda a few years back and was very liked, by fans and coaches (Lasu will probably become the Captain of Frölunda once Lundqvist stops playing). However he was more of a 3rd line center and he thought he could do more, and started playing in the Finnish league where he ended up playing on the first line.
I'm speculating here, but I think one of the things Frölunda promised Lasu in order to make him come back, was that he would get the shot at playing on an offensive line with Lasch.

Thirdly, the line of Fagemo - Hjalmarsson - Lasch was for sure dangerous offensively. However there is a problem with Lasch + Fagemo, and that is that neither is very good in their own zone. Especially early in the playoffs when Frölunda faced bigger teams (Luleå and Malmö) that line had problems where they were getting pinned down in their own dzone. (Personally I would put them together in order to train Fagemo to be better defensively, because I think that is the area where he needs to improve the most).

Fourthly, As I mentioned another new forward on the team is Sundström, who also played in Frölunda a few years ago, and was the MVP when Frölunda won in 2016. He spent the past 2 seasons in the KHL, where he played very few games due to injury. I think Rönnberg wants to get Sundström ready to play as soon as possible, and tbh I don't think there is anyone better to help you with that than Fagemo. I would think Fagemo's energy and willingness to drive to the hard areas will make it much easier for Sundström to get back in to fighting shape. I would also guess that Rönnberg hopes Sundström could be the playmaker for Fagemo.

Therefore I think Rönnberg plans something like this:

He will try to find an environment that works for Lasch, that doesn't rely on Fagemo, (ergo, trying Hjalmarsson - Lasu - Lasch).
During the preseason he plays Fagemo with Sundström to fast-track Sundström's time back to top quality.
When (If) Fagemo returns from the US, Rönnberg will evaluate if he thinks the HLL line works, if not he will most likely try FLL line, if that doesn't work he will most likely go back to the FHL line. If the HLL line works he will probably insert Fagemo in a line that struggles offensively.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
Fagemo is going to be a good one...I had not seen this video. Such great hands, patience and a better passer, then I knew. Threads so many amazing passes here. A great future line would be: Fagemo, JAD and Grundstrom...or Lizotte as one of the 3.

Last edited:

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Fagemo is going to be a good one...I had not seen this video. Such great hands, patience and a better passer, then I knew. Threads so many amazing passes here. A great future line would be: Fagemo, JAD and Grundstrom...or Lizotte as one of the 3.

My future top 6 looks like this

Akil Thomas centering Vilardi and Kupari

Turcotte between Grundstrom and Fagemo

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
My future top 6 looks like this

Akil Thomas centering Vilardi and Kupari

Turcotte between Grundstrom and Fagemo

Arthur Kaliyev says...where am I lined up? Things are looking pretty damn good. Seriously. And if the Kings get Byfield, Lucas Raymond, or Lafreniere, all the better. Raymond is playing with Frolunda, so the Kings will see a lot of him, as they keep tabs on Fagemo there.

Last edited:

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Arthur Kaliyev says...where am I lined up? Things are looking pretty damn good. Seriously. And if the Kings get Byfield, Lucas Raymond, or Lafreniere, all the better. Raymond is playing with Frolunda, so the Kings will see a lot of him, as they keep tabs on Fagemo there.

Kaliyev will be on line 3 with Byfield

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Some of you need to step back and realized that half the kids you're penciling in to our top 6 are either going to end up on other teams or bust out of the league. We have a good prospect pool, yes, but when was the last time all the prospects a team has have worked out? Hint: never.

Reactions: Telos and lumbergh

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Some of you need to step back and realized that half the kids you're penciling in to our top 6 are either going to end up on other teams or bust out of the league. We have a good prospect pool, yes, but when was the last time all the prospects a team has have worked out? Hint: never.

Yep.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/7146/kings_top20_prospects-2/

Also funny to see who was ranked ahead of Quick on this list.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10524/kings_top20_prospects_fall2008/

It's really premature to start coming up with lineups two years down the road.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Yep.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/7146/kings_top20_prospects-2/

Also funny to see who was ranked ahead of Quick on this list.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10524/kings_top20_prospects_fall2008/

It's really premature to start coming up with lineups two years down the road.

"Sometimes lost in the race between Bernier and Zatkoff to the NHL is Jonathan Quick. "

" Again, if Bernier develops to his full potential, Quick could fill the role as the solid backup in Los Angeles or as trade bait. "

LMAO

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Yepp.
He arrived in Sweden a few days ago, and will do his first SHL game in a few hours (playing with Hjalmarsson and Lasch, just as last season).

Best thing for him in my opinion. Was impressive at times during camp and can't wait to see him next year.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
so glad he's already signed. If Frolunda does not go deep in playoffs, I am sure he will
come over and get some games in with the Reign...or Kings even. He turns 20 on March 14. Jacob Moverare is playing with Frolunda too and signed by the Kings and on loan there too. Having a great season. He will probably come over too! He has 5 goals,, 6 assists in 27 games and a team leading plus 13. He's 6'3" 205 and pretty phyiscal LHD. Kings blueline could use size. Apparently one of his issues was his lack of top conditioning and skating and he's improved both...and he was a big part of Frolunda's championship last year.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Just have to keep some perspective here. Fagemo is almost 20, and a 2nd year pro playing against a fair amount of 17 and 18 year olds who are junior players. It makes a difference at this age. It's nice to see him doing so well.

Reactions: Master Yoda

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Just have to keep some perspective here. Fagemo is almost 20, and a 2nd year pro playing against a fair amount of 17 and 18 year olds who are junior players. It makes a difference at this age. It's nice to see him doing so well.

giphy.gif

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

True, but look at it this way...Fagemo was almost selected by the Kings in his draft year, Yannetti or Futa said. I think it was his skating and being all over the ice, they said, that kept them from using the 7th round pick on him.
Then Samuel was miffed he was not taken and worked on his game. They said his skating way improved and he began playing much better in terms of being in the right places. You can find this somewhere.
Then last season, he really took off. Look at his Elite League numbers...insane 10 goals in 8 games...then promoted to Frolunda SHL and was scoring 1 goal to every 3 games on the best team in Sweden.
And Samuel was 18 years old. He turned 19 March 14, which is at the very end of the regular season there. He then continued well in the Championship run, with 6 goals and 10 pts in 16 games.
Always tougher to score in playoffs, and he produced.

2018-19
1.png
Frölunda HC J20
SuperElit810414211|
1.png
Frölunda HC
SHL4214112565|Playoffs16641047
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
There are several 19 year olds in the WJC and Fagemo leads the tournament in goals. Several snipes and even one as he was tripped and going down,....the one today,
he took his time and the goalie was set and he still rang it off the post and in. Samuel can flat out score goals. Yes, he probably does have work to do on conditioning and
strength and he will buy in, I'm sure. He seems pretty dedicated.

He led Sweden in goals and scoring last tournament too. 5 goals in 3 games. it's no fluke. Fagemo produces. Beats out Hoglaner, Holtz, Raymond, Berggren.

Sweden U20 at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckerUpDude

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

Just to give some perspective here. Fagemo is a 2000 born skater, which make up a majority of most teams in the tournament. For example there are 13 2000 born players on team USA, 16 2000 born players on Sweden, 20 2000 born players on Russia, 15 2000 born players on Finland, etc. He is not an overager in juniors racking up points, he is playing largely against his peers and the very elite from the 2001/02 class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->