Prospect Info: Samuel Fagemo, RW, 50th Overall

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I recall him saying that at some point. Was it this past summer?
I honestly don't remember now. I would have sworn that I remember exactly where I was sitting when he said it in the 2022 Exit interviews but I listened back and it's not in there so maybe it was at development camp or training camp or exit interviews last year... I just don't remember.

Sad.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I beleive it was this past summer 2023, but i can't look right now. I distinclty remember that. Otherwise we are collectively Mandela Effect-ing

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I recall him saying that at some point. Was it this past summer?
It was... I think. Thinking it was after the PLD acquisition, and the question was along the lines of "how trading for PLD, and the loss of Iafallo and Vilardi affects the rest Kings' lines?"

Blake responded that the younger players need to step up and he specifically brought up Kaliev and needing him to be a scoring winger on a top line.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It was... I think. Thinking it was after the PLD acquisition, and the question was along the lines of "how trading for PLD, and the loss of Iafallo and Vilardi affects the rest Kings' lines?"

Blake responded that the younger players need to step up and he specifically brought up Kaliev and needing him to be a scoring winger on a top line.

Kaliyev was suspended for the first two games.....when he came back, was he on top 9 for a bit? I don't remember.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The issue I have with the development is in multiple layers:
- why are forwards all expected to learn to grind? Even if it doesn't fit their style.
- if that's a requirement, why do they draft players who don't fit the Kings style? I understand organizations draft "assets", but if you don't know how to manage them, you operate at a loss. It's like buying a house and going back to asbestos, instead of renovating.
- why do veterans get more leash when they "aren't playing right"? Shouldn't they know better?
- why does Hiller talk about quality minutes and then bench highly skilled prospects for an extended period of time?
- Why did Blake and McLellan talk about needing Kaliyev to be a top-six forward then trade for PLD and Fiala, which shifts players around and gives them less room in the lineup... ESPECIALLY if it's the vets who do get more leash to make a mistake?
- How are players supposed to grow when they learn fear of making a mistake, because doing so will get them punished with benching? Fiala makes the same spin-around giveaways every game. And he was benched in the third period once?

Kaliyev and Fagemo need to do better. No doubt. But I don't think the Kings have created the best circumstances for them to grow. Byfield's become more of an exception, but he's a second overall pick. As pointed out by you, me, and several others, you can't depend on getting a top pick every year. Consequently, better needs to be done with the later picks. I think the Kings either need to:
- draft closer to the identity they want to keep (two-way puck hounds who can battle along the boards) or:
- accept that prospects that don't match their identity need more wiggle room to err and they're allowed to play their game.

Because single digit minutes for Clarke, Kaliyev, etc is just a waste of everyone's time.
Good post.

My view with AK was that initially I didn’t mind him starting on the bottom line to get used to the pace of the NHL, learn the system etc. However that in my mind should have been for 40 games max. At that point either put him in a scoring role or move him. It appears that somewhere along the way his confidence has been undermined or he’s overthinking things. I think that’s why he’s not releasing the puck the way we all know he can. He has improved his all around game, but at what cost? I think this is where I think TMac and Blake have fallen short in terms of not understanding how different players need different approaches and this as I’ve said repeatedly is incredibly important with this generation of kids coming through. Across all walks of life they have many qualities better than the generations before them but adversity is not one of them. Many need to feels safe and secure in whatever context they are in.

I said that Byfield would deliver once he felt wanted, trusted… safe in other words. Once Kopitar wanted him on his line everything changed for him. We all know that nobody stays with Kopi if he doesn’t want them there and he’s taken a big role In Byfield’s development. That’s leadership there btw and for me he gets more credit than TMac for QB’s development. QB has a determination in him that got him through the mishandling of his development, even if it affected his play at times. However I think it’s hurt Kaliyev more confidence wise and he’s a guy that needs to be confident offensively to be worth a place on the team.

Clarke will get through it though, he’s too arrogant (in a good way) for it to undermine him. I’m also sure Turcotte is with Kopitar because he wants him there also btw.

Also, I’d still trade for BPA regardless of whether they fit how the team plans to play. However once they get to the point of being NHL ready if they don’t fit you move them as a blue chip prospect to get maximum value.

Anyway, I’m rambling now…

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Good post.

My view with AK was that initially I didn’t mind him starting on the bottom line to get used to the pace of the NHL, learn the system etc. However that in my mind should have been for 40 games max. At that point either put him in a scoring role or move him. It appears that somewhere along the way his confidence has been undermined or he’s overthinking things. I think that’s why he’s not releasing the puck the way we all know he can. He has improved his all around game, but at what cost? I think this is where I think TMac and Blake have fallen short in terms of not understanding how different players need different approaches and this as I’ve said repeatedly is incredibly important with this generation of kids coming through. Across all walks of life they have many qualities better than the generations before them but adversity is not one of them. Many need to feels safe and secure in whatever context they are in.

I said that Byfield would deliver once he felt wanted, trusted… safe in other words. Once Kopitar wanted him on his line everything changed for him. We all know that nobody stays with Kopi if he doesn’t want them there and he’s taken a big role In Byfield’s development. That’s leadership there btw and for me he gets more credit than TMac for QB’s development. QB has a determination in him that got him through the mishandling of his development, even if it affected his play at times. However I think it’s hurt Kaliyev more confidence wise and he’s a guy that needs to be confident offensively to be worth a place on the team.

Clarke will get through it though, he’s too arrogant (in a good way) for it to undermine him. I’m also sure Turcotte is with Kopitar because he wants him there also btw.

Also, I’d still trade for BPA regardless of whether they fit how the team plans to play. However once they get to the point of being NHL ready if they don’t fit you move them as a blue chip prospect to get maximum value.

I agree completely (not about you rambling but your other points).

This season has stood outin particular to me with Kaliyev. I want to avoid using a cliche like "he's gripping his stick tighter," but his shot selection, placement, technique, and posture all look like that of a player who has zero confidence. He barely looks even frustrated when the puck goes in, just more like lifeless acceptance.

As you pointed out, Byfield took off once he started getting McLellan's trust and playing alongside Kopitar. And when he struggled initially - McLellan kept giving him opportunity. He wasn't moved back down.

Some players truly need to get that type of validation. They're competitors, but they're people. PLD is playing better now that he's reminded that there's more to the game than scoring. We laugh at it as a "haha gold star" system, but it was an inventive way to reconnecy with a struggling player - yet I don't have confidence the same ingenuity or creativity is being applied to Kaliyev, who has a rep for awkwardness in communication going back to his combine interviews.

I just think at this point the Kings are doing Kaliyev and themselves a disservice by letting the situation worsen.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC

Looks like the Kaliyev prognostication during last offseason was from TMac and not Blake. Of course, Todd has been fired. So of course, Blake has no recent history to account for as towards Arthur’s expected role with the team.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Good post.

That aged well…

Reactions: King'sPawn

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I agree completely (not about you rambling but your other points).

This season has stood outin particular to me with Kaliyev. I want to avoid using a cliche like "he's gripping his stick tighter," but his shot selection, placement, technique, and posture all look like that of a player who has zero confidence. He barely looks even frustrated when the puck goes in, just more like lifeless acceptance.

As you pointed out, Byfield took off once he started getting McLellan's trust and playing alongside Kopitar. And when he struggled initially - McLellan kept giving him opportunity. He wasn't moved back down.

Some players truly need to get that type of validation. They're competitors, but they're people. PLD is playing better now that he's reminded that there's more to the game than scoring. We laugh at it as a "haha gold star" system, but it was an inventive way to reconnecy with a struggling player - yet I don't have confidence the same ingenuity or creativity is being applied to Kaliyev, who has a rep for awkwardness in communication going back to his combine interviews.

I just think at this point the Kings are doing Kaliyev and themselves a disservice by letting the situation worsen.
😂 That's not why PL is playing better.
1) Todd fired
2) JAD waived & gone
3) Grundström injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad