Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsDieHard*

I think Scherbak makes the team out of camp and McCarron starts the year in Hamilton (probably spends 2 years there).

So having another ELC on the team bodes well for the cap.

Scherbak can play in the AHL next season, there's no reason for him to play in the NHL without spending time in the AHL first.

Hudon/Andrighetto can provide the ELC minutes next season while Scherbak learns to be a pro in the AHL.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I really think Bergevin will continue to trim some of the fat (no DSP jokes) over the summer again.

Here is what I would do;

Re-sign
Fwd
Galchenyuk (3 yrs, 4.25)
Bournival (2 years 900k)
Flynn/Mitchell (1 year 900k) *haven't watched enough to full assess if one/both are worth keeping)

Defence
Beaulieu (2 years, 2.75M)
Petry (4 years, 4.5M)

Total $ =14.2M (assuming we resign both Mitchell/Flynn)

Trade Bait
Desharnais (3.5M)
Eller (3.5M)
Emelin (4M)
PAP (4M)
*prospects as required
Total $ =15M

Galchenyuk definately needs to be moved to centre for the season next year. IMO both Eller and Desharnais are expendable. DLR has replaced Eller and Desharnais is in the way of Galchenyuk. Both can be moved.

On D, Emelin is not consistant enough imo and Petry is a big upgrade on our 2nd pairing (not to mention he is a RHD). Beaulieu has proven that he is an NHL defenceman. I would like to see Tinordi get a bigger showing on the 3rd pairing.

Assuming a salary cap of 72M, we would have roughly 15.7M to spend if the above players are traded.

Our roster next season:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk- $6-7M
$4-6M-Plekanec-Gallagher
Hudon-DLR-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Flynn/Weise

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Tinordi-Gilbert

Price
Tokarski* (would like an upgrade on Tokarski)

I would target the following for these holes:

Top Line RW:
Eberle
Sharp

2nd Line LW:
ROR

Goalie Upgrade:
Jakob Markstrom

Obviously roster players will need to be included in a trade for both ROR and Eberle. I think it's realistic that we can get 1 of the 2. I would prefer ROR because he can replace Plekanec (long-term) in a few years and we will have plenty of cap space to resign him (even if slight overpayment is required). I think Sharp could be had for less due to their cap issues.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Scherbak makes the team out of camp and McCarron starts the year in Hamilton (probably spends 2 years there).

I could see that, just as I could see McCarron making it and Scherbak in the AHL. Will be interesting to see how they do at camp however it shakes out.

Re-sign
Fwd
Galchenyuk (3 yrs, 4.25)
Bournival (2 years 900k)
Flynn/Mitchell (1 year 900k) *haven't watched enough to full assess if one/both are worth keeping)

Defence
Beaulieu (2 years, 2.75M)
Petry (4 years, 4.5M)

Bournival really struggled this year, don't see him getting 2 years as I would give him a 1 year two way. Not concerned about losing him to waivers, if he clears he would be cheap depth to keep around but I hope the Habs can upgrade the roster with better players and more talent then Bournival.

I don't know what to make of Flynn/Mitchell just yet so not sure what they will get.

No way on earth would I pay Beaulieu 2.75M for someone that has had terrible production so far this year and makes a lot of mistakes. I hope he gets under 2M and would rather they sign him to a 1 year deal to see what he can do with a full season before I would want to pay him close to 3M.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I would target the following for these holes:

Top Line RW:
Eberle
Sharp

2nd Line LW:
ROR

Goalie Upgrade:
Jakob Markstrom

Obviously roster players will need to be included in a trade for both ROR and Eberle. I think it's realistic that we can get 1 of the 2. I would prefer ROR because he can replace Plekanec (long-term) in a few years and we will have plenty of cap space to resign him (even if slight overpayment is required). I think Sharp could be had for less due to their cap issues.

I smell the warm electronic breeze of a PS3 running NHL15.

HabsDieHard*

James Mirtle @mirtle
News out of GM meetings is NHL salary cap projects to $71- or $72-million. That's with the inflator from players.

A 71 or 72 million cap is pretty good news for the Habs.

No real cap concerns for them.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
A 71 or 72 million cap is pretty good news for the Habs.

No real cap concerns for them.

I hope Bergevin is active in the post season, we have some dead weight and excess imo which need to be moved.

I hope Petry can be resigned, with Emelin traded.

PAP/DD/Eller should all be on the block imo.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I hope Bergevin is active in the post season, we have some dead weight and excess imo which need to be moved.

I hope Petry can be resigned, with Emelin traded.

PAP/DD/Eller should all be on the block imo.

Ideally, we start next season with Subban - Markov and Beaulieu - Petry as our 2 first pairings. Tinordi, Pateryn, Gilbert and either Gonchar/some surprise from Hamilton fight for the last 2-3 spots. Petry would probably sign for something around 4,5-5Mish. For that to happen, we need to unload Emelin that Bergevin signed himself though. It would be great if he can do it but I'm not too confident about that one.

HabsDieHard*

Doesn't make any sense to move Eller. This team needs to be bigger and faster, trading one of their bigger fast players doesn't help.

Parenteau and Desharnais are up after the 2015/2016 and 2016/2017 seasons respectively.

I totally agree about their being some dead weight (though Eller is not part of it, nor is Emelin who many theorize to be) but when I say no real cpa concerns I'm talking big picture. A 71 cap will give the Habs plenty of space to sign Beaulieu and Galchenyuk and see what room there is for Petry too.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ideally, we start next season with Subban - Markov and Beaulieu - Petry as our 2 first pairings. Tinordi, Pateryn, Gilbert and either Gonchar/some surprise from Hamilton fight for the last 2-3 spots. Petry would probably sign for something around 4,5-5Mish. For that to happen, we need to unload Emelin that Bergevin signed himself though. It would be great if he can do it but I'm not too confident about that one.

The Habs currently sit at 58.2125M so if the cap is 72M they would have almost 14M in space so I don't think that they have to move Emelin for Petry to be re-signed assuming Galchenyuk doesn't break the bank and Petry signs in the 4.5-5M range.

Last edited:

HabsDieHard*

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Emelin-Gilbert
Tinordi-Pateryn

It will be tight for Bergevin, but those 7/8 guys being young and cheap (I expect Tinordi to sign a 1 way deal for around 850K) will help.

To me, Beaulieu gets something like 2 years and 4 million, but maybe they go a bit longer than just 2.

Up front, yes they need improvements but I think Bergevin will look into 1 year stop gaps, and try to see how Scherbak/McCarron/Hudon/Andrighetto develop in the meantime.

They have 2 2nd round picks in 2016 at the moment.

I wonder if they could deal Prust? His play has noticeably declined and his 2.5 cap hit might be a luxury they can't afford.

If Parenteau can find something with Pacioretty and Plekanec he could be the addition at forward this team needs to bridge the gap between those youngsters and next October.

If not, thank goodness that Price and Pacioretty cost just 11 against the cap for a couple seasons yet, because it really helps provide some wiggle room at the cap.

Even PK's 9 comes to 20 million for 3 franchise/elite level players (I defy anyone to name 5 wingers they'd rather have for the next 3 years than Pacioretty) is a fantastic number.

Make no mistake though, the years of Prices' deal (and Pacio the next offseason) offer this team a "window" to compete, and despite Bergevin making a lot of comments about what the future has to offer I beleive he's established the last 2 deadlines that he's not scared to make additions to the team right now.

I have complained about MB some lately, but there's no doubting the Habs are in one of the best positions of any team in the NHL moving forward.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Pacioretty ($4.5M) - Desharnais ($3.5M) - Gallagher ($3.75M)
Galchenyuk (RFA) - Plekanec ($5M) - Parenteau ($4M)
Eller ($3.5M) - De La Rose($0.925M) - Smith-Pelly ($0.800M)
Weise ($1.025M) - Mitchell (UFA) - Prust ($2.5M)
Flynn (RFA) - Bournival (RFA)

Markov ($5.75M) - Subban ($9M)
Beaulieu (RFA) - Petry (UFA)
Emelin ($4.1M) - Gilbert ($2.8M)
Tinordi (RFA)

Price ($6.5M)
Tokarski ($0.5625M)

Before putting in numbers for the UFA/RFAs... $58.2125M... and then estimates...

Galchenyuk ($4M)
Mitchell ($1.5M)
Flynn ($0.75M)
Bournival ($0.575M)
Beaulieu ($1.75M)
Petry ($4M)
Tinordi ($0.851M)

For a grand total of... $71.6385... which is pretty much right where the cap is projected.
So far I'm less impressed with Flynn and Mitchell and would not be as liable to pencil them in as I was last time... they can still turn that impression around, if they're not out too long. But $1.5M for Mitchell definitely seems too extravagant.

Petry is about what I expected... $4M still seems fair to me, and I'm not soooooo impressed with him that I'd want to get into huge bidding wars for his services, even though I acknowledge that on an open-market FA Frenzy day, he's probably a good bet to draw more than that.

I'd have Pateryn's name up there now with 8D listed and 13F instead. At his tiny cap hit, we could not go wrong.

Looks like there'd be enough room to be a little generous on Petry (or another top-4 UFA D). And again, this is all before doing anything with Parenteau or any other less desirable incumbents. A Parenteau buyout frees up $2.67M to try to buy a better forward too. Looks like smooth sailing for Bergevin.

HabsDieHard*

The Habs currently sit at 58.2125M so if the cap is 72M they would have almost 16M in space so I don't think that they have to move Emelin for Petry to be re-signed assuming Galchenyuk doesn't break the bank and Petry signs in the 4.5-5M range.

Pacioretty (4.5)-Plekanec (5)-Parenteau (4)= 13.5
Galchenyuk (3.5)-Desharnais (3.5)-Gallagher (3.75)= 10.75
Prust (2.5)-Eller (3.5)-Smith Pelley (900K)= 6.9
Bournival (.750)-Mitchell (1.75)-Weise (1)= 3.5

Beaulieu (2.25)-Subban (9)=11.25
Markov (5.75)-Petry (5.25)=11
Emelin (4.1)-Gilbert(2.9) =7

Price (6.5)
Tokarski (600K)

Total (I think)

71 million.

I really think they are best served spending the money on Petry and having an expensive 3rd pairing with it. The above line up has no extras, they could go with just 1, but would have to clear some space. I have Galchenyuk at 3.5, I could see them doing a 2 year 6 million dollar deal. Mitchell could be replaced by a cheaper 4th line option as well.

Nice situation for Bergevin.

Pateryn makes a lot of sense as a #7 d-man, and he'll have to clear waivers too.

Tinordi apparently has to as well.

Could possibly move Emelin or Gilbert and go with a younger bottom pairing. Depth on defence is key though, and it's not like there are significantly better d-man than Emelin available for cheaper anyways. For all his faults he's not really overpaid compared to other guys. At least in terms of potential guys who would be moved, obviously compared to Shattenkirk he looks wildly overpaid, but things aren't black and white.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ubercron9000*

I smell the warm electronic breeze of a PS3 running NHL15.
I think Eberle will cost more but these 2 guys can really help the team take it to the next level. They are young and great players. If we can get them with trading players like Tinordi, Eller, dehairnais and pap. With perhaps draft picks and maybe some prospects it would be worth it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think the goal next year will be to add a top 6 winger by trade or UFA.

10 mil allows you to sign/trade for one around 5 mil and still have enough to sign Galchenyuk to a 2-3 year bridge deal around 4 mil.

Beaulieu and Tinordi will get around 1 mil each +- 200k on a 1-2 year deal.

On defense if Petry is to come back, Emelin would likely move.

Pacioretty(4.5) Plekanec(5) Galchenyuk(4???)
Gallagher(3.75) UFA/Trade(5-6 mil) Desharnais(3.5)
Andrighetto(.625) Eller (3.5) De la Rose(.925)
DSP(.800) Weise(1.025) Prust(2.5)
Flynn(.900)

(36.525 mil)

Subban(9) Markov(5.75)
Beaulieu(1.2??) Petry(4.5??)
Gilbert(2.8) Tinordi(0.8??)
Pateryn(0.55)

(25.10)

Price(6.5)
Tokarski(.550)

(7.05 mil)
Parenteau(1.33 buyout)
Emelin trade(0)

Total cap hit (69.505 mil)

This assumes...cap escalators are in...a top 6 quality forward is available and can be signed/traded for 5.5 mil...Beaulieu 1.2 mil AAV...Tinordi 800k AAV(one way)...Petry 4.5 mil AAV...Galchenyuk 4 mil AAV...Flynn 900k AAV

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

I hope that one of Scherbak, Hudon or McCarron make the big club next year. I wouldn't be surprised either. Maybe add Andrighetto to that group. I really liked him in his call up. No one else seems to like him as much as me though.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think the goal next year will be to add a top 6 winger by trade or UFA.

10 mil allows you to sign/trade for one around 5 mil and still have enough to sign Galchenyuk to a 2-3 year bridge deal around 4 mil.

Beaulieu and Tinordi will get around 1 mil each +- 200k on a 1-2 year deal.

On defense if Petry is to come back, Emelin would likely move.

Pacioretty(4.5) Plekanec(5) Galchenyuk(4???)
Gallagher(3.75) UFA/Trade(5-6 mil) Desharnais(3.5)
Andrighetto(.625) Eller (3.5) De la Rose(.925)
DSP(.800) Weise(1.025) Prust(2.5)
Flynn(.900)

(36.525 mil)

Subban(9) Markov(5.75)
Beaulieu(1.2??) Petry(4.5??)
Gilbert(2.8) Tinordi(0.8??)
Pateryn(0.55)

(25.10)

Price(6.5)
Tokarski(.550)

(7.05 mil)
Parenteau(1.33 buyout)
Emelin trade(0)

Total cap hit (69.505 mil)

This assumes...cap escalators are in...a top 6 quality forward is available and can be signed/traded for 5.5 mil...Beaulieu 1.2 mil AAV...Tinordi 800k AAV(one way)...Petry 4.5 mil AAV...Galchenyuk 4 mil AAV...Flynn 900k AAV

Ummm.....you left DD on the second line, on the wing, on his off-wing...
:(

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I would personally love to see a new 'kid' line.

Something around:

Hudon-DLR-Scherbak

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
The Habs currently sit at 58.2125M so if the cap is 72M they would have almost 14M in space so I don't think that they have to move Emelin for Petry to be re-signed assuming Galchenyuk doesn't break the bank and Petry signs in the 4.5-5M range.

If we want to improve up front (like we absolutely need too), we'll have to unload Emelin though. Can't have 24M tied up long term to our first pairing and #4-5s.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
If we want to improve up front (like we absolutely need too), we'll have to unload Emelin though. Can't have 24M tied up long term to our first pairing and #4-5s.

Yeah I think the only way we add Petry, AND improve our top 6, is to move Emelin (likely along with a few others)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I hope that one of Scherbak, Hudon or McCarron make the big club next year. I wouldn't be surprised either. Maybe add Andrighetto to that group. I really liked him in his call up. No one else seems to like him as much as me though.

I hope Scherbak and McCarron start the year AHL, I would rather hold them back than rush them.

Hudon and Andrighetto I'd have them compete for a top 9 spot in camp.

Ummm.....you left DD on the second line, on the wing, on his off-wing...
:(

Those are not lines, I just listed my 13 forwards...

Pacioretty-Plekanec-UFA/trade
Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Andrighetto
Eller-Desharnais-DSP
Weise-DLR-Prust
Flynn

Petry-Markov
Subban-Beaulieu
Gilbert-Tinordi
Pateryn

Price-Tokarski

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Emelin-Gilbert
Tinordi-Pateryn

It will be tight for Bergevin, but those 7/8 guys being young and cheap (I expect Tinordi to sign a 1 way deal for around 850K) will help.

To me, Beaulieu gets something like 2 years and 4 million, but maybe they go a bit longer than just 2.

Up front, yes they need improvements but I think Bergevin will look into 1 year stop gaps, and try to see how Scherbak/McCarron/Hudon/Andrighetto develop in the meantime.

They have 2 2nd round picks in 2016 at the moment.

I wonder if they could deal Prust? His play has noticeably declined and his 2.5 cap hit might be a luxury they can't afford.

If Parenteau can find something with Pacioretty and Plekanec he could be the addition at forward this team needs to bridge the gap between those youngsters and next October.

If not, thank goodness that Price and Pacioretty cost just 11 against the cap for a couple seasons yet, because it really helps provide some wiggle room at the cap.

Even PK's 9 comes to 20 million for 3 franchise/elite level players (I defy anyone to name 5 wingers they'd rather have for the next 3 years than Pacioretty) is a fantastic number.

Make no mistake though, the years of Prices' deal (and Pacio the next offseason) offer this team a "window" to compete, and despite Bergevin making a lot of comments about what the future has to offer I beleive he's established the last 2 deadlines that he's not scared to make additions to the team right now.

I have complained about MB some lately, but there's no doubting the Habs are in one of the best positions of any team in the NHL moving forward.

We sure are. We could keep Emelin but it would bring us very close to the cap if get help up front. Beside, it's about time one of Tinordi/Pateryn makes the club full time and they aren't that far off of Emelin's level either.

Also, it's not guaranteed the cap increases to 71-72M. It still depends on the player (but I don't really why they wouldn't like that, I'm not really aware of the issue here). If they get in a fight with the owners, cap could very well go down to 68,5M or less (according to Mirtle). If that happens, we'll have no choice but to deal Emelin if we want to keep Petry. Especially since we need help up front.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
So far I'm less impressed with Flynn and Mitchell and would not be as liable to pencil them in as I was last time... they can still turn that impression around, if they're not out too long. But $1.5M for Mitchell definitely seems too extravagant.

Petry is about what I expected... $4M still seems fair to me, and I'm not soooooo impressed with him that I'd want to get into huge bidding wars for his services, even though I acknowledge that on an open-market FA Frenzy day, he's probably a good bet to draw more than that.

I'd have Pateryn's name up there now with 8D listed and 13F instead. At his tiny cap hit, we could not go wrong.

Looks like there'd be enough room to be a little generous on Petry (or another top-4 UFA D). And again, this is all before doing anything with Parenteau or any other less desirable incumbents. A Parenteau buyout frees up $2.67M to try to buy a better forward too. Looks like smooth sailing for Bergevin.

I'd comfortably go 4.5, even as high as 5.

I hope Scherbak and McCarron start the year AHL, I would rather hold them back than rush them.

Hudon and Andrighetto I'd have them compete for a top 9 spot in camp.

My order of likelihood:

Hudon/Ghetto
Scherbak
McCarron

Last edited by a moderator:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Yeah I think the only way we add Petry, AND improve our top 6, is to move Emelin (likely along with a few others)

I think Parenteau is on the way out unless he produces the next month and playoffs. Either a trade(probably with retained salary) or buyout(2 x 1.33 mil AAV). Parenteau would save 2.67 mil in 15-16 but cost 1.33 mil in 16-17, so it would be worth eating up to 1.5 mil of his cap hit if needed. Might be of interest to a floor team like Phoenix Buffalo or Carolina.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Petry's rang will be around 4.5-5M, he really doesnt have any glaring weaknesses in his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad