Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Let's say the cap goes up by $2-million up to $75-million.

$21,617,023 of cap space per capfriendly + $2-million cap increase = $23,617,023.

Looking at the guys we have to re-sign, and being on the lower end of their asks when it comes to AAV most likely:

- Radulov ($6.25m)
- Galchenyuk ($6m)
- Markov ($3.5m)
- Beaulieu ($2.5m)

So, $5,367,203 of available cap space after those key guys are re-signed. Beaulieu could be dealt. Emelin ($4m could be dealt), Plekanec ($6m) could be dealt or taken by Vegas. If the latter two could be dealt for just picks to free up the cap, you free up an extra $10-million so you have a bit more than $15.25m cap space.

I could see them looking to re-sign Dwight King if he has a good showing here at around $2.2m considering what he currently makes and the province he'd now be playing in, and Nesterov as a depth option. Maybe Martinsen, too. Let's say those 3 players combined would eat up $3.8m combined.

$11,567,203 in cap. You'd need a second-line center, you STILL need a top-six forward (or two), and possibly a more mobile, younger LHD (let's not put all that pressure on young Sergachev so quickly in his career). Plus you need to maintain the cap space to re-sign Price, Danault and maybe Davidson next summer and then Pacioretty and Lehkonen in two summers.

So there's the cap outlook I could come up with factoring in a $2m increase in salary cap and expiring contracts and whatnot.

And again, reminder: those numbers up above for the four players up there are extremely low-end numbers IMO, especially Radulov who could get in the $7m range depending on term.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I would only sign:

RFA
Galchenyuk
Beaulieu
Nesterov(Maybe)

UFA
Radulov
Markov(At right price)
King(Maybe)

I would trade Plekanec away, maybe even Emelin if the need arises.

The last 2 can help us shed another 10.1 million IF we need it. Cap space without using it is useless.

I agree with most of this, I don't think we'll need to re-sign Nesterov. I think we should sign King because I expect him to be good for us, and we need toughness. I would definitely sign Markov again, provided it's a one year deal.

I think our team will be better next year without the dead weights we lost during TDL and will lose this offseason. Emelin needs to go and Pleky needs to be upgraded.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
-i have a feeling bergevin will find a way to get rid of 14 and 74's salaries - freeing up 10 mill for duchene and a raise to chucky
-i think he resigns radulov..3 years at 7 mill
-i think he trades beaulieu and sergachev makes team and combo of benn/davidson/nesterov
fills bottom pair
-and markov resigns AFTER expansion draft for around 4 mill. he won't sign anywhere else.

next years d pairs:

weber-sergachev
petry-Markov
Benn-Davidson

Let's say the cap goes up by $2-million up to $75-million.

$21,617,023 of cap space per capfriendly + $2-million cap increase = $23,617,023.

Looking at the guys we have to re-sign, and being on the lower end of their asks when it comes to AAV most likely:

- Radulov ($6.25m)
- Galchenyuk ($6m)
- Markov ($3.5m)
- Beaulieu ($2.5m)

So, $5,367,203 of available cap space after those key guys are re-signed. Beaulieu could be dealt. Emelin ($4m could be dealt), Plekanec ($6m) could be dealt or taken by Vegas. If the latter two could be dealt for just picks to free up the cap, you free up an extra $10-million so you have a bit more than $15.25m cap space.

I could see them looking to re-sign Dwight King if he has a good showing here at around $2.2m considering what he currently makes and the province he'd now be playing in, and Nesterov as a depth option. Maybe Martinsen, too. Let's say those 3 players combined would eat up $3.8m combined.

$11,567,203 in cap. You'd need a second-line center, you STILL need a top-six forward (or two), and possibly a more mobile, younger LHD (let's not put all that pressure on young Sergachev so quickly in his career). Plus you need to maintain the cap space to re-sign Price, Danault and maybe Davidson next summer and then Pacioretty and Lehkonen in two summers.

So there's the cap outlook I could come up with factoring in a $2m increase in salary cap and expiring contracts and whatnot.

And again, reminder: those numbers up above for the four players up there are extremely low-end numbers IMO, especially Radulov who could get in the $7m range depending on term.

bottom line is he needs to find a C...whether its duchene or elsewhere...
we have enough talent on D to fill the void

Last edited by a moderator:

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Not really. .. signing chucky Radu markov and Beau will cost about 20m total... will only have about 5m left to resign others

20 million for those 3??? Ha!
Galchenyuk 6
Radulov 6
Beaulieu 3.5 the max.
How's that bear 20?
Don't overprice or value Beaulieu

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Jeff Petry is one pace for a 35 point season. I'm wondering if HF thinks this acceptable production for a 5.5m d-man?

I don't mean to sway one way or another, I'm trying to get an idea of what others think. My first instinct is no it's not enough but maybe my standards are out of whack and too high. We are also going through a scoring slump, so I dunno.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Was going to post a new thread for this but it could go here:

NHL contracts:
-Trade Tomas Plekanec, Andrew Shaw for draft picks
-Sign Alex Radulov at 6.25M per for long-term.
-Sign Alex Galchenyuk at 6.25M per for long-term.
-Resign Dwight King
-Let Flynn walk
-Let Ott walk
-Let Martinsen walk
-Resign Markov to a 3.25M contract for 2 years.
-Resign Beaulieu for 2.25M contract for 3 years.
-Let Nesterov walk

That leaves us with about 9 million in cap space for next season.

We can then:
-Sign Shipachyov to a 5.00 million contract
-Sign Dadonov to a 4.00 million contract

Once Price has to negotiate his new contact, we won't be able to resign Emelin and probably have to trade Markov.

Management changes:
-Clean house of AHL coach & assistant coaches, bring in experienced people
-Audit of all scouts in Habs organization for previous success, hire more scouts to fill any voids in certain territories
-Allow Julien to assess his assistant coaches and probably fire JJD, hire new ones

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Bill Daly says the NHL's salary cap is projected to be $75.5M-$76M next season, but adds it will depend on inflator negotiations with NHLPA.

Would be huge for the Habs if the cap goes up by 3M next year, especially if they can find a way to move Pleks contract and free up that 6M.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Most call me super positive towards the Habs and I do think we have an outside shot at final 4 with a very small chance at Stanley Cup Finals. However, lets entertain the negative world for a second... What happens if the Habs fall flat and get knocked out the 1st round and it's 4 or 5 games. Then what? Lets say the Habs head into next year without Radulov and no new contract for Price....

- Expansion draft protection list is: Price, Weber, Petry, (one of...Beaulieu, Benn, or Davidson), Galchenyuk, Patch, Gallagher, Danault, Shaw, Byron, Hudon.

- Young Core: You don't have to like it or love it but here it is... Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Danault, Lehkonen, McCarron, Hudon, Scherbak, Juulsen, Sergachev, Mete, Lindgren. Those are 11 players who are already playing in the NHL under the age of 25 and some prospects that stand to be in the NHL in the next 2 or 3 years.

- Assets to acquire parts for the Rebuild: Imagine what the Habs get in a trade for Pleky and Emelin (if not picked in the expansion draft) at the trade deadline? Better yet, Imagine what the Habs get for Price, Patch, and Weber! Then you got guys not part of the core but signed for a few years (Petry & Shaw) who become the Vets during the rebuild or also traded away to help accelerate the re build. This package of 7 players surely helps the Habs accelerate the Rebuild and you can also add the extra 3 2nd round picks we have in the next two drafts too! Just cross your fingers that there is another McDavid, Laine, Mathews, Crosby, Ovi, etc available to draft in the next 3 or 4 years and the Habs also win the lottery!

Based on how some dislike MB as the GM of the Habs, I wonder what direction most Habs fans would prefer. Try to trade the future picks/prospects to get the 2nd line center (and more pieces) or start the rebuild this off season. Maybe the way the Habs finish the year dictates what Raduov and Price want to do and that forces the Habs into the rebuild? Stay tuned! It's going to be an important year for the Habs. We go one direction or the other with one direction up and one direction down!

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If the cap reaches 76M:

Galchenyuk - 6 years @ 6.125M.
Radulov - 6 years @ 6.75M.
Markov - 2 years @ 3.75M.
Beaulieu - 4 years @ 3.5M.
Hudon - 2 years @ 700K (one-way).
De La Rose - 1 year @ 650K (one way).
Martinsen - 1 year @ 750K.

Sign Shipashev - 1 year 4M.

Price - 7 years @ 8.5M.

Buyout Plekanec. Make sure Vegas picks up Emelin.

Pacioretty (4.5M) - Galchenyuk (6.125M) - Radulov (6.75M)
Lehkonen (839K) - Shipashev (4M) - Gallagher (3.75M)
Hudon (700K) - Danault (912.5K) - Shaw (3.9M)
De La Rose(650K) - McCarron (863K) - Byron (1.166M)
Martinsen (750K) - Mitchell (1.2M)

Beaulieu (3.5M) - Weber (7.857M)
Markov (3.75M) - Petry (5.5M)
Benn (1.1M) - Sergachev (925K)
Davidson (1.425M)

Price (6.5M)
Montoya (1.063M)

CAP: 70.391M (with Plek buyout).

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If the cap reaches 76M:

Galchenyuk - 6 years @ 6.125M.
Radulov - 6 years @ 6.75M.
Markov - 2 years @ 3.75M.
Beaulieu - 4 years @ 3.5M.
Hudon - 2 years @ 700K (one-way).
De La Rose - 1 year @ 650K (one way).
Martinsen - 1 year @ 750K.

Sign Shipashev - 1 year 4M.

Price - 7 years @ 8.5M.

Buyout Plekanec. Make sure Vegas picks up Emelin.

Pacioretty (4.5M) - Galchenyuk (6.125M) - Radulov (6.75M)
Lehkonen (839K) - Shipashev (4M) - Gallagher (3.75M)
Hudon (700K) - Danault (912.5K) - Shaw (3.9M)
De La Rose(650K) - McCarron (863K) - Byron (1.166M)
Martinsen (750K) - Mitchell (1.2M)

Beaulieu (3.5M) - Weber (7.857M)
Markov (3.75M) - Petry (5.5M)
Benn (1.1M) - Sergachev (925K)
Davidson (1.425M)

Price (6.5M)
Montoya (1.063M)

CAP: 70.391M (with Plek buyout).

I don't see the Habs buying out Plekanec

He's got 1yr left on his deal and I doubt they treat a player whose been a long serving member of the Montreal Canadiens this way.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

He's got 1yr left on his deal and I doubt they treat a player whose been a long serving member of the Montreal Canadiens this way.

I doubt Bergevin would go that far but sometimes you have no other choice: see Vermette in ARI.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I doubt Bergevin would go that far but sometimes you have no other choice: see Vermette in ARI.

I also don't see the Habs buying out Pleky. However, the Cap hit would be what? Less than $2M for 2 years?

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
What I'd do

RFA

Alex Galchenyuk -- 6Y/6M
Nathan Beaulieu -- 3Y/3M
Nikita Nesterov --- 1y/1M

UFA

Alex Radulov --- 4Y/7M
Andrei Markov -- 1Y/5M or 2Y/4M
Dwight King --- 3y/2.5M

TRADES

:Kings

Brendan Gallagher

:habs

Alec Martinez

:devils

1st 2017
2nd 2017
Nikita Scherbak
Alexei Emelin

Kyle Palmieri

:bolts

Daniel Carr
Brett Lernout
4th 2018

Vladislav Namestnikov

Plekanec to LV (set an agreement, mostly being picks)

According to cap friendly armchair, cap is at 70 888 810

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Lehkonen-Namestnikov-Palmieri
Byron-Danault-Shaw
King-Mitchell-McCarron

Martinez-Weber
Markov-Petry
Beaulieu-Benn
Nesterov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad