Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think Parenteau is on the way out unless he produces the next month and playoffs. Either a trade(probably with retained salary) or buyout(2 x 1.33 mil AAV). Parenteau would save 2.67 mil in 15-16 but cost 1.33 mil in 16-17, so it would be worth eating up to 1.5 mil of his cap hit if needed. Might be of interest to a floor team like Phoenix Buffalo or Carolina.

It also makes sense to move 1 (maybe 2) centremen.....

IF Bergevin is serious about moving Chucky to centre, which I hope he is.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
My order of likelihood:

Hudon/Ghetto
Scherbak
McCarron

I'd even put Carr ahead of Scherbak and McCarron in terms of being NHL ready, he's had a great finish in the AHL and he is 23 going on 24.

It also makes sense to move 1 (maybe 2) centremen.....

IF Bergevin is serious about moving Chucky to centre, which I hope he is.

I think moving Eller and keeping Desharnais as 3rd line C/2nd line W makes more sense, Eller can be replaced by DLR, Desharnais provides offense, something we don't have an abundance of.

Last edited by a moderator:

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think moving Eller and keeping Desharnais as 3rd line C/2nd line W makes more sense, Eller can be replaced by DLR, Desharnais provides offense, something we don't have an abundance of.

I think both can be moved.
This isn't the DD thread or I would slam the 'provides offense' line.

Ideally, Eller and DD aren't near our top 6 next season. imo

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Way I see it, if Hammer was worth what 5? 5.5? (can't remember exactly) when the cap was much lower, well Petry is easily worth 5 when the cap is higher.

If he doesn't get 5 from us I'd be willing to bet a team much like last year with Niskanen will offer him more.

If he can be an effective 3rd liner I wouldn't mind keeping DD. Problem is with our coach we won't ever get to see if he is. I think he is capable of providing offense, he's just not a viable 1st line C. As a middle six winger I think he'd be OK.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Right, but injuries and slumps will happen

If you take out Desharnais completely, that means you have Pacioretty Gallagher Glachenyuk and Plekanec, so you need 2 top 6 guys, plus somebody that can play top 6 in a pinch.

Plus, center is spot you'd rather have too much depth than too little.

Use the Desharnais line as a 3rd offensive line and the DLR line as a defensive line.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Right, but injuries and slumps will happen

If you take out Desharnais completely, that means you have Pacioretty Gallagher Glachenyuk and Plekanec, so you need 2 top 6 guys, plus somebody that can play top 6 in a pinch.

Plus, center is spot you'd rather have too much depth than too little.

Use the Desharnais line as a 3rd offensive line and the DLR line as a defensive line.

Desharnais will continue to be given first line minutes by Therrien unless he is moved, lets be honest it's his fall-back EVERY TIME.

I personally think we need to add 2 top 6 guys regardless of if DD is in the line-up.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I could see Petry getting something like a $5Mx5. I'd want to evaluate the market and all the options before giving him that, though.

While a $71-72M cap is actually pretty comfy for us, there are quite a few teams who it won't be so comfortable for. How many want to add that #3/4 big contract on D, how many teams are cutting somebody loose, etc. Who are all the other available #3/4 contracts. Do the math, find out how many chairs, if any, when the music stops, etc. You could still get surprises even after your best efforts. But you have to go through the process anyway.

I could see coming to the conclusion that $5Mx5 for Petry was a reasonable decision to make before July 1st. I could see coming to the conclusion that we could do about as well a little more cheaply. Or that we could come back to $5Mx5 on July 1-2. It would be something to strategize about, for sure. Of course, there are still 15+ games left his season, and the team will have an inkling of Petry's desires and comfort level here in the meantime too. Could end up that he/his family aren't comfortable signing here, who knows.

And since we do have 7 other D pencilled in, it's worth considering the cost-benefit analysis of spending our big $$$ on the #3/4 D vs. trying it on a scoring forward. I'm not optimistic about the market up front... but you have to look at that too.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Desharnais will continue to be given first line minutes by Therrien unless he is moved, lets be honest it's his fall-back EVERY TIME.

I personally think we need to add 2 top 6 guys regardless of if DD is in the line-up.

It's his fallaback because he and Plekanec are the only offensive centers on the roster, if you move Galchenyuk permanently then it's no longer the case.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If we want to improve up front (like we absolutely need too), we'll have to unload Emelin though. Can't have 24M tied up long term to our first pairing and #4-5s.

I would get rid of PAP before Emelin though, if we can somehow trade him it would put us close to 17-18M in cap space. With Emelin having a NTC, it will be up to him if he wants to leave or not. Guess it will come down to what is on the market and what management thinks they can bring in via FA or trades.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I would get rid of PAP before Emelin though, if we can somehow trade him it would put us close to 17-18M in cap space. With Emelin having a NTC, it will be up to him if he wants to leave or not. Guess it will come down to what is on the market and what management thinks they can bring in via FA or trades.

lets try to get rid of both of them ;)

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

XXXXX - Plekanec - Parenteau

Desharnais - Matthias - Smith Pelly

Prust - De La Rose - Weise

Markov - Subban

Beaulieu - Petry

Tinordi - Gilbert

extra: Bournival and Pateryn
Trade chips: Eller, Andrighetto, Fucale, Emelin

Sign: Shawn Matthias, 3 years, 3.25 per.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If we want to improve up front (like we absolutely need too), we'll have to unload Emelin though. Can't have 24M tied up long term to our first pairing and #4-5s.

Given our needs on D, I think we should consider trading Emelin for a LH shooting D who hits, can play 20 minutes, can get 15 or more ES points, will have a good plus-minus relative to the rest of the team, and is paid under $5M.

Oh wait..........:sarcasm:

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
It's his fallaback because he and Plekanec are the only offensive centers on the roster, if you move Galchenyuk permanently then it's no longer the case.

I would love to see Therrien define permanently.

The truth to the matter is DD will be put back on the top line next season once Plek/Galchenyuk have a bad game, and the cycle of halting the development of one of the best centre prospects we've had in a while will continue.

Thats why:

TRADE HIM.

We have no need for him as a 3rd line LW, and don't even joke about him being the winger on the 2nd line.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-_______
______-Plekanec-Gallagher
DLR-Eller-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Weise

We have holes to fill on the top 6, which should not be filled with DD.

Obviously there's room for a kid to surprise and make the roster.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Disgruntled center Thornton request trade and is moved to Montreal for Eller, Parenteau and Tinordi.

Pacioretty-Thornton-McCarron
Scherbak-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
DLR- Plekanec-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Weise

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Gilbert

And then I woke up.....

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Unless there's a complete breakdown in the playoffs I'd imagine a team similar to the one we have now but hopefully Beregvin can add that long missing scoring winger this year and Chucky can transition to centre. If so, we'd need to lose some players to make room for an effective top line winger and 1 or two rookis ready to make the move up.

I'd like to see something like:

Patches Chucky Gally
Hudon/Scherbak Plex PAP
DLR<-->Eller McCarron/Weise
Prust Bounival/UFA C Weise/DSP

Markov PK
Beau Petry/Gilbert
Emelin Pateryn
Tinner

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

XXXXX - Plekanec - Parenteau

Desharnais - Matthias - Smith Pelly

Prust - De La Rose - Weise

Markov - Subban

Beaulieu - Petry

Tinordi - Gilbert

extra: Bournival and Pateryn
Trade chips: Eller, Andrighetto, Fucale, Emelin

Sign: Shawn Matthias, 3 years, 3.25 per.

So we dump an overpaid player in Eller and replace him with a similarly overpaid player in Mathias?

A team in need of offensive depth shouldn't trade cheap offensive talent like Andrighetto.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
lets try to get rid of both of them ;)

I'm ok with trading just about anyone not named Price, Subban, Pac, Galchenyuk, Scherbak and McCarron but if we move Emelin then we need to make sure we can replace him with someone that brings a physical presence as we don't want to have a very soft D again. I think that Emelin is overpaid but I don't mind him as a #5 as long as they keep his ice time down and he plays more physical. But if the right deal is there and he's willing to waiver his NTC then go for it.

Disgruntled center Thornton request trade and is moved to Montreal for Eller, Parenteau and Tinordi.

Pacioretty-Thornton-McCarron
Scherbak-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
DLR- Plekanec-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Weise

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Gilbert

And then I woke up.....

After watching Thornton in the playoffs against the Habs in the past, I don't want any part of him at all.

Unless there's a complete breakdown in the playoffs I'd imagine a team similar to the one we have now but hopefully Beregvin can add that long missing scoring winger this year and Chucky can transition to centre. If so, we'd need to lose some players to make room for an effective top line winger and 1 or two rookis ready to make the move up.

I'd like to see something like:

Patches Chucky Gally
Hudon/Scherbak Plex PAP
DLR<-->Eller McCarron/Weise
Prust Bounival/UFA C Weise/DSP

Markov PK
Beau Petry/Gilbert
Emelin Pateryn
Tinner

So me if Scherbak is on the Habs, I hope it's playing on the same line as Galchenyuk as I think they would work really well together. Never been a big fan of Gallagher on the top line either.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
The Off-Season

Yes, it's a little pre-mature, but with the "Petry's future" poll and all I figured it's time. Here you can talk about and suggest off-season trades, signings and whatever else you feel will come into play this off-season.

RFA: Nathan Beaulieu, Alex Galchenyuk, Jarred Tinordi, Drayson Bowman, Eric Tangradi, Brian Flynn, Michael Bournival, Robert Mayer

UFA: Jeff Petry, Torrey Mitchell, Mike Weaver, Sergei Gonchar, Bryan Allen, Davis Drewiske, Manny Malhotra

Last edited:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
If Galchenyuk isn't moving into a full time top center role on the 1st or 2nd line than the Habs should look into trading for one.

And please resign Petry!!!

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Beaulieu--bridge contract--2 years/1.5-2 aav
Galchenyuk--bridge contract--2 years/3.75 aav (same amount as Gallagher)
Tinordi--one way--1 year/900k
Bowman--do not sign
Tangradi--two way--1 year/600k
Flynn--two way--1 year/800k
Bournival--one way--1 year/750k
Mayer--do not sign

Petry--5 years/4.5aav
Mitchell--do not sign
Weaver--do not sign
Gonchar--do not sign
Allen--do not sign
Drewiske--do not sign
Malholtra--do not sign

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
This off-season will come to determine if Bergevin is for real or not. We have lots of cap room and very little dead-weight - I can't say I'm looking forward to Drewiske and Mitchell's four-year extensions.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
This off-season will come to determine if Bergevin is for real or not. We have lots of cap room and very little dead-weight - I can't say I'm looking forward to Drewiske and Mitchell's four-year extensions.

I am a big supporter of Bergevin. Much like I was of Gainey. But I began to see how bad Gainey was when he brought in Samsonov. That is where I turned on him.

Like you said, this will be the year I turn on Bergevin if he doesn't bring in the talent this team so desperately needs. Either a top RW or a top center. No more excuses.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Hopefully this is the year we add big to our core.

Veteran Leadership and top 6 skill:

Justin Williams - 3-4yrs
Johnny Oduya - 3yrs

Top 6 winger

Matt Beleskey - 3yrs

Re-sign

Jeff Petry - 4yrs
Alex Galchenyuk - 5-6yrs

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I would not hesitate to sign Galchenyuk for 8 years.

I would like to re-sign Petry and Mitchell (on the cheap).

I would love MB to trade away Desharnais, PAP, Emelin, Eller and Gilbert.

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
VA
Hopefully this is the year we add big to our core.

Veteran Leadership and top 6 skill:

Justin Williams - 3-4yrs
Johnny Oduya - 3yrs

Top 6 winger

Matt Beleskey - 3yrs

Re-sign

Jeff Petry - 4yrs
Alex Galchenyuk - 5-6yrs

I don't think we need any addition at D. Try to re-sign Petry and give Beaulieu a contract and we're set. Personally, I'd try to trade Gilbert to make room for Pateryn/Tinordi.

Tokarski has one more year at $562K. Keep him and trade for a better goalie only if Price is injured.

Everyone knows it, we must improve our offense. Big time. I'd try to get rid of PAP. I'd be OK with DD playing LW on the 3rd line but we all know that if he stays, MT will play him 1st C no matter what.

I wouldn't re-sign any of our UFA except for Petry.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/MTL?year=2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad