Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
I would not hesitate to sign Galchenyuk for 8 years.

I would like to re-sign Petry and Mitchell (on the cheap).

I would love MB to trade away Desharnais, PAP, Emelin, Eller and Gilbert.

Trade away Desharnais AND Eller?
okay Glachenyuk replaces one, who replaces the other?

Trade away both Emelin AND Gilbert?
Boy you love sweeping changes? no one entitled to an off year?
Last year at this time we loved the job Emelin did on Lucic, this year he's trade fodder?

How about PAP? even though I don't mind to see him go, who replaces him?

Easy to make the whole sale changes but its a lot tougher to determine who the replacements will be

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Beaulieu--bridge contract--2 years/1.8 aav
Galchenyuk--bridge contract--2 years/3.5 aav (or 6-8 4.5 aav :naughty: )
Tinordi--one way--1 year/900k
Bowman--do not sign
Tangradi--do not sign
Flynn--two way--1 year/700k
Bournival-- 2-way--1 year/850k
Mayer--do not sign
Dumont - Signed for as long as he wants as Bulldog/IceCaps Captain 2-way

Petry--5 years/4 aav
Mitchell--do not sign or league minimum as 13th fwd
Weaver--do not sign
Gonchar--do not sign or offer PP coach position
Allen--do not sign
Drewiske--do not sign or 2-way to be AHL assistant
Malholtra--do not sign or 2-way to be AHL vet or faceoff coach

Top 6 winger

Matt Beleskey - 3yrs

Matt Beleskey would be our 6th forward in points while playing with Perry/Getzlaf. He's their Dale Weise. Someone will sign him for big bucks and be very dissapointed.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Last year at this time we loved the job Emelin did on Lucic, this year he's trade fodder?

Easy to make the whole sale changes but its a lot tougher to determine who the replacements will be
Easy Galchenyuk+ Thornton/Staal/O'Reilly (for center) or get a better 4th line center.
Gally
Pleky
DLR
(new center)

Replace Emelin/Gilbert for Tinordi + Pateryn

Replace PAP for Andrighetto.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Easy Galchenyuk+ Thornton/Staal/O'Reilly (for center) or get a better 4th line center.
Gally
Pleky
DLR
(new center)

Replace Emelin/Gilbert for Tinordi + Pateryn

Replace PAP for Andrighetto.

Seeing how much people complain about Eller's lack of offense, I can't even imagine how they'll react next season with DLR centering the line for a full year.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
I expect to see a trade/UFA signing for a top 6 RW

I also am guessing that DD will be moved this summer as well

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Something has to be done about the offence.

DD and PAP need to go. Too much to ask to see both gone, so I'll just guess that PAP gets the boot. One of the offensive kids also needs to be promoted from Hamilton (Sven, Thomas or Hudon).

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
If we can sign Petry our defense is set. Really need to improve our top 6 forwards though and our coach.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
If we can sign Petry our defense is set. Really need to improve our top 6 forwards though and our coach.

If they fired Therrien there is no way a new coach would favour Desharnais. You'd solve both problems with one swoop

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
RFA:

Nathan Beaulieu--- 2 years at 1.75M
Alex Galchenyuk--- 8 years at 5.5M/ 2 years at 3M
Jarred Tinordi---2 years at 1.25M
Drayson Bowman--Do not sign
Eric Tangradi---Do not sign
Brian Flynn--- 1 year 2-way at 750K
Michael Bournival--2 years at 850K
Robert Mayer---Do not sign

UFA:

Jeff Petry----5 years at 4.75M
Torrey Mitchell---1 year at 900K
Mike Weaver---Do not sign
Sergei Gonchar---Do not sign
Bryan Allen-----Do not sign
Davis Drewiske---Do not sign
Manny Malhotra---Do not sign

I don't know if we have enought $$$ left but we should try to sign a top 6 forward and please trade one of DD/Parenteau.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yes, it's a little pre-mature, but with the "Petry's future" poll and all I figured it's time. Here you can talk about and suggest off-season trades, signings and whatever else you feel will come into play this off-season.

RFA: Nathan Beaulieu, Alex Galchenyuk, Jarred Tinordi, Drayson Bowman, Eric Tangradi, Brian Flynn, Michael Bournival, Robert Mayer

UFA: Jeff Petry, Torrey Mitchell, Mike Weaver, Sergei Gonchar, Bryan Allen, Davis Drewiske, Manny Malhotra

The loonie has bounced back up over .80 so hopefully it means the cap is closer to 72M.

Here's the full RFA list,

RFA- Nathan Beaulieu, Alex Galchenyuk, Jarred Tinordi, Drayson Bowman, Eric Tangradi, Brian Flynn, Michael Bournival, Christian Thomas, Morgan Ellis, Gabriel Dumont

UFA- Jeff Petry, Torrey Mitchell, Mike Weaver, Sergei Gonchar, Bryan Allen, Davis Drewiske, Manny Malhotra, Joey MacDonald,

RFA- I would think Bowman is gone, would bring back Tangradi and Dumont as AHL vets. Ellis I don't know what they will do since we have a lot of RD's, I wouldn't have a problem bringing him back. Not sure about Flynn either, but they paid a 5th for him so they might want to bring him back, just haven't seen enough of him to really say.

UFA- I hope Petry is back, if the Habs can't upgrade the offense I might consider Mitchell on the cheap. See if Bournvial can steal his job, if so then send him to the AHL.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
I would get rid of PAP before Emelin though, if we can somehow trade him it would put us close to 17-18M in cap space. With Emelin having a NTC, it will be up to him if he wants to leave or not. Guess it will come down to what is on the market and what management thinks they can bring in via FA or trades.

Can we just deal PAP to a bottom team like Arizona or Edmonton for a late pick? Maybe a 5th or 6th depending on the draft class?

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
This is what I think we do:

Resign:

Alex Galchenyuk - 8 years, 5.6 million
Jeff Petry - 5 years, 5 million
Nathan Beaulieu - 2 years, 2.2 million
Jarred Tinordi - 1 year, 1 million(2-way)
Torrey Mitchell - 2 years, 1.2 million
Michael Bournival - 2 years, 725 thousand(2-way)
Brian Flynn - 1 year, 900 thousand

Max Pacioretty($4.500M) - Alex Galchenyuk($5.600M) - Brendan Gallagher($5.500M)
Charles Hudon($0.660M) - Tomas Plekanec($5.000M) - XXXXXX
Jacob De La Rose($0.925M) - Lars Eller($2.500M) - Devante Smith Pelly($0.800M)
Brandon Prust($2.000M) - Torrey Mitchell($1.200M) - Dale Wiese($1.025M)
Michael Bournival($0.725M) - Brian Flynn($0.900M)

Nathan Beaulieu($2.200M) - P.K. Subban($7.000M)
Andrei Markov($5.750M) - Jeff Petry($5.500M)
Alexei Emelin($4.100M) - Greg Pateryn($0.550M)
Jarred Tinordi($1.000M)

Carey Price($6.500M)
Dustin Tokarski($0.562M)

Salary Cap:
Payroll:
Cap Space:

I'll calculate the cap later.

Couchcoach

Apr 6, 2015
Patches pleks pap
Egg
Hudon dd Weiss
Prust dlr DSp
Sven/Thomas

MB needs to find a top 6 rw to replace pap. Free agent group is weak. RFA groups strong perhaps target Terasenko with a offer letter :naughty:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I really think Bergevin will continue to trim some of the fat (no DSP jokes) over the summer again.

Our roster next season:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk- $6-7M
$4-6M-Plekanec-Gallagher
Hudon-DLR-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Flynn/Weise

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Tinordi-Gilbert

Price
Tokarski* (would like an upgrade on Tokarski)

I would target the following for these holes:

Top Line RW:
Eberle
Sharp

2nd Line LW:
ROR

Goalie Upgrade:
Jakob Markstrom

Obviously roster players will need to be included in a trade for both ROR and Eberle. I think it's realistic that we can get 1 of the 2. I would prefer ROR because he can replace Plekanec (long-term) in a few years and we will have plenty of cap space to resign him (even if slight overpayment is required). I think Sharp could be had for less due to their cap issues.

ROR would be fantastic, as long as Habs dump DD. He is the perfect guy to go after. Not so sure about Sharp. He'll be 34. I hate older UFAs, with rare exceptions.

Pacioretty (4.5)-Plekanec (5)-Parenteau (4)= 13.5
Galchenyuk (3.5)-Desharnais (3.5)-Gallagher (3.75)= 10.75
Prust (2.5)-Eller (3.5)-Smith Pelley (900K)= 6.9
Bournival (.750)-Mitchell (1.75)-Weise (1)= 3.5

Beaulieu (2.25)-Subban (9)=11.25
Markov (5.75)-Petry (5.25)=11
Emelin (4.1)-Gilbert(2.9) =7

Price (6.5)
Tokarski (600K)

Total (I think)

71 million.

Nice situation for Bergevin.

Could possibly move Emelin or Gilbert and go with a younger bottom pairing. Depth on defence is key though, and it's not like there are significantly better d-man than Emelin available for cheaper anyways. For all his faults he's not really overpaid compared to other guys. At least in terms of potential guys who would be moved, obviously compared to Shattenkirk he looks wildly overpaid, but things aren't black and white.

Your D group is absurdly expensive. You are right, Emelin and/or Gilbert would have to make way for Tinordi and/or Pateryn

Right, but injuries and slumps will happen

If you take out Desharnais completely, that means you have Pacioretty Gallagher Glachenyuk and Plekanec, so you need 2 top 6 guys, plus somebody that can play top 6 in a pinch.

Plus, center is spot you'd rather have too much depth than too little.

Use the Desharnais line as a 3rd offensive line and the DLR line as a defensive line.

Thanks but if I want Center depth, I'm keeping the big, mobile, better defensive center who scores more over the one dimensional midget.

Desharnais will continue to be given first line minutes by Therrien unless he is moved, lets be honest it's his fall-back EVERY TIME.

I personally think we need to add 2 top 6 guys regardless of if DD is in the line-up.

I think this also, and if MB tinkers again and only gets rid of PAP this summer, effectively (with MT as coach) leaving DD in the top six and on the PP, then he can **** off, I will have had it.

I would love to see Therrien define permanently.

The truth to the matter is DD will be put back on the top line next season once Plek/Galchenyuk have a bad game, and the cycle of halting the development of one of the best centre prospects we've had in a while will continue.

Thats why:

TRADE HIM.

We have no need for him as a 3rd line LW, and don't even joke about him being the winger on the 2nd line.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-_______
______-Plekanec-Gallagher
DLR-Eller-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Weise

We have holes to fill on the top 6, which should not be filled with DD.

Obviously there's room for a kid to surprise and make the roster.

Exactly. Two players are needed on the top six. I am hoping one of them might be Scherbak, but I'm not betting on it. I think Habs need a young LW/ center who can score goals, and a 20 goal RW with speed and some size. Better get to work MB.

Yeah. That's why MB is paid millions and has a job that thousands of people would love to have. To make these decisions and difficult trades. Shocking.

Something has to be done about the offence.

DD and PAP need to go. Too much to ask to see both gone, so I'll just guess that PAP gets the boot. One of the offensive kids also needs to be promoted from Hamilton (Sven, Thomas or Hudon).

Why is it too much to ask? Ask.

We should get Jagr or Saint-Louis for a year or two.

Don't. Please don't start a 'Let's bring MSL in his downswing years' movement. Just don't. :shakehead

Last edited:

HabsDieHard*

I'm fine with the team having an absurdly expensive defence.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

Outside of maybe 20-30 games Emelin has been nowhere near the level of a real #4, he typically plays like a #5-6 at best. I see no reason to keep him even over Gilbert. I wouldn't trade both, in fact I'd keep Gilbert, he's actually worth the price of his contract.

Emelin hits, that's about all he provides. In his own zone he looks lost half the time, gets caught standing around, isn't positionally sound or even anything close to it IMO.

I think it's more than fair to want to trade a 4$mil d-man who regularly plays like a bottom pairing guy. People in this fan base get way too much of a hard on because the guy can hit. I like his hitting too but I can't see a team winning with him as a top 4 d-man especially not at what he's paid.

I'd rather a d-man who is much more responsible defensively and has similar offensive production but who isn't physical than a one dimensional hitter who is overpaid.

As for trading away a center, we all know that won't happen and even if it does it'll be Eller not DD. I can't stand the DD situation either but I think it's a pipe dream expecting him to be dealt.

As for PAP, might be worthwhile to see how he does next year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
did anyone see on Sportsnet in between periods, they said the cap might actually go down? Granted we need to see where the loonie ends up, as it's based off the average and at the time Bettman said the cap would be around 73M, the loonie was @ .88 and now it's struggling to hold .80 The US economy is not doing as well as thought but the dollar is showing a lot of strength and the big drop in oil has helped ease expenses. So I would be surprised if their number of 68M is where it ends up but of course we'll need to see where the loonie ends up between now and June.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
did anyone see on Sportsnet in between periods, they said the cap might actually go down? Granted we need to see where the loonie ends up, as it's based off the average and at the time Bettman said the cap would be around 73M, the loonie was @ .88 and now it's struggling to hold .80 The US economy is not doing as well as thought but the dollar is showing a lot of strength and the big drop in oil has helped ease expenses. So I would be surprised if their number of 68M is where it ends up but of course we'll need to see where the loonie ends up between now and June.

Yup they were talking 68 with adjustment to 70 :help:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

Bergevin has commented that cap space is the best way to land good players. As he alluded to the Islanders picking up Boychuk and Leddy

Habs have that space. I totally expect Bergevin to get this team a top line center this offseason. Whether through dumping Desharnais forcing Therrien's hand to play Galchneyuk. But if that were to happen the Habs are still short top six wingers.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yup they were talking 68 with adjustment to 70 :help:

70 wouldn't be too bad.

Bergevin has commented that cap space is the best way to land good players. As he alluded to the Islanders picking up Boychuk and Leddy

Habs have that space. I totally expect Bergevin to get this team a top line center this offseason. Whether through dumping Desharnais forcing Therrien's hand to play Galchneyuk. But if that were to happen the Habs are still short top six wingers.

Depending on what move they make, they don't have a ton of cap space as the Habs currently sit at 58.2125M. Granted if they can move PAP that would free up 4M, as Galchenyuk will get a raise and hopefully they can re-sign Petry.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Yeah he'll get Gomez back :sarcasm:

Top line centers or top 6 wingers aren't exactly a common commodity.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Yeah he'll get Gomez back :sarcasm:

Top line centers or top 6 wingers aren't exactly a common commodity.

They can be had through trade. You need to pay to get.

I think if Galchenyuk doesn't step up these playoffs and is outplayed and outscored by DD than he can be the chip used to land said player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad